[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 29 too old to learn programming ? I'm working for s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: shutterstock-programming.jpg (1012 KB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock-programming.jpg
1012 KB, 3888x2592
Is 29 too old to learn programming ?

I'm working for s small marketing company now, making landing pages HTML/CSS and such, so I'm kind of a technical person, but what I do disgusts me.

I was thinking to take some time off as I have money saved and start learning real programming instead of this shit.

What do you think, is it hopeless at this age?

I understand basic concepts such as loops, objects, functions, and I can use github

From looking at various programming languages syntax I fancy Ruby.
>>
As long as you don't have kids it's never too late to learn something. If you have kids then abandon all hope.
>>
>>53832074
Learn it who cares. It's a programming language, not an instrument I doubt you want to become first chair at a symphony orchestra anyway.

Shit if my 50 year old parents can learn french you can learn a fucking programming.
>>
>>53832128
>Fucking this.
>>
>>53832074
you should try meth
>>
>>53832190
>meth
never heard of it... compiled or interpreted language?
>>
>>53832074
You might be too old to break into the industry.
>>
>>53832525
You're never too old, unless you're 50 and above.
>>
>>53833985
Couldn't resist. Turned 49 last month. No degree.No certs. Became a Sysadmin at 46. Because of some recent departures in the IT department. Responsible for everything from the AD domains, Unix, Networking and GoogleApps. Attitude dictates altitude. Learn it, live it. Oh and I have 3 kids.
>>
29 isn't too old to start any career path other than being an athlete, a world class musician, or a grandmaster chess champion

4chan seems to have this strange mentality that 30 is the end of the line....
>>
>>53835468
That's because most of 4chan is 10-15 years old or neckbeards with no work experience.

Most leave when they turn 16, lose their virginity and get a car then return when they are in their mid to late twenties and boring again.

Those who never leave become neckbeards, never physically leave their parents basement, collect jizz in bottles, watch way too much anime and shitpost.
>>
>>53832074
no
>>
>>53835565
This reeks of projection and I honestly feel very sorry for you and your life situation.

>>53832074
It's never too late OP. Just grab a book and get to it.
>>
>>53832074
>take free time from work
>someone takes your shifts
>guy that took your shifts is now replacing you
>"you don't have to come back" - boss
>>
File: 1449628108310.png (17 KB, 1154x860) Image search: [Google]
1449628108310.png
17 KB, 1154x860
its never too late
>>
>>53832074
Programming is a new tool, a new science so to speak - it's so easy everyone cal learn it - all which is required is lots of time of practice - because there is no other way to learn programming other than programming...

There are people which were math illiterates and in few years even late in life 30 + years, after few years of practice they ended up math teachers, which help rise up generations of good mathematicians.
>>
>>53835768
>a new tool, a new science
Don't pretend to speak science, when you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
No you can't be too old. Programming is just the bridge between us and the computer and you probably use a computer everyday It can provide good insights and assist you. If the interest is given you should really try it.

I'm not 29 but as child I used to love Lego imagine with programming you can build huge things without very restrictive requirements. But please don't become one of those is monkeys who use is outside of the browser.
>>
>>53835332

We just hired a 56 year old Build/SysAdmin guy with low/medium level experience. He was doing something else his whole life.

Last place I worked at, most of the devs were 50+ too.

It just depends. Don't listen to the fucking horror stories about ageism and indians.

Really, in the end, all you have to fucking do is..........................................

Make the hiring guy LIKE you and see some potential.

Doesn't even fucking matter if you know what you are doing. Nobody is going to hire a Dr. of CompSci that speaks broken english and has a bad attitude unless they hate themselves.
>>
>>53835818
You're obviously either a troll or an edgy kid.
We have mathematics being developed from ancient Egypt 2000 BC, we have programming being developed from in a rudimentary form late 1800's and firs programming language in 1940 with first language to actually program hardware in 1950's... both mathematics and programming are sciences on their own if you want to use the term, that's why I mentioned it - but why do I bother, as I mentioned - you're either extraordinary young, stupid and trigger-able or just a troll.
>>
>are you too old to learn something new?
No
> are you too old to learn programming?
No
> are you too old to enroll into college?
No
>should you change career paths into programming?
I would recommend not, the market is saturated now-a-days
>>
>>53832074
what are your financial goals and where do you live?
>>
>>53836255
This. Fuck programming. The market is saturated and that isn't including all of the poo-in-loos snatching up incidental work.

Software design, on the other hand, is a programming related position that is hard to out source. I know plenty of software architects who design software and then ship it out to the code-monkeys.
>>
>>53832128
Dis guy knows whats up.

11/10 life advice
>>
>>53836381
In addition to this, it would seem to be more your while if you decided to go into business yourself and design some new application or program. While riskier(?), you have far more control and potential for profit. Additionally, there are tons of programmers looking for work, so it would be easy to scoop up a few to work on the project.
>>
File: 1455945200713.jpg (275 KB, 1919x1079) Image search: [Google]
1455945200713.jpg
275 KB, 1919x1079
>>53832074
You will never and I mean NEVER have a decent career in programming if you start now. You will however, if you find passion, enjoy a nice lifelong hobby that is extremely versatile.
>>
>>53836255
>>53836381

Yes, the market is definitely saturated. On Linkedin, I saw a junior android developer position with 120+ applicants.
>>
>>53836435
Wow. How limiting. Sad really.
>>
>>53832128
doesn't get more realistic than this OP
>>
>>53832074
I know a guy that is 45 that works on front end; he told me he worked as a sales person all his life up until 5 years ago, and he is living out of it working in a medium size marketing firm.
>>
>>53837094
>>53835899
And people say white male privilege doesn't exist.....white men can do whatever they want.
>>
>>53837094
>>53835899

How did they managed to get beyond the resume/application submission phase?
>>
Try one of those Udacity courses. Last I heard they even guarantee job placement upon successful graduation.
>>
>>53832074
desu I was going to make a similar thread to this but then I saw this one

I'm 24 and I work in IT but more networking and hardware shit. I'm Cisco certified up to CCNP R&S and also some other misc vendor specific certs. Networking is cool but there's a ceiling to it in terms of creative freedoms. You design whatever LAN/CAN/MAN/WAN as-per the protocols which are already developed and documented in white papers.

I want to make my own shit but I've never taken a programming class and it is daunting in terms of how many different languages there are and where to start.
>>
Software development is not saturated as a whole, as some have already stated. The part that is easy -- writing shit code -- is absolutely saturated, because it takes very little grey matter to google search, copy paste, fix red squigglies and compile.

Software design is just one area that is in dire need of staffing. Look also to software-related areas, such as data architecture.

I would not be discouraged by outsourcing, when code monkeys comprise only a small portion of the software development cycle.
>>
>>53837373
Can't tell if bait or serious desu.
>>
>>53837506
Programming isn't about languages. Languages are the tools which allow you to tell the computer to perform the logic you design.

If you're looking for a language to begin studying, .NET languages are always a good place to start. I dislike VB personally, but I've known many people who start there. Maybe plain english is easier in the beginning.

I would highly recommend finding ways to take university-style courses, or use their books; You will learn that logic, not code, is the basis for all programs, and that any Turing Complete language can do the same thing as another.
>>
File: dayum.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
dayum.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>53832128
/thread desu
>>
File: 1458091826752_1.png (182 KB, 412x337) Image search: [Google]
1458091826752_1.png
182 KB, 412x337
>>53832226
It's some low level shit
>>
>>53836657
>>53832074

It's also not true. Everyone here is bitter and cynical as fuck, and they don't trying in life. That's why they don't see the breadth of possibilities in a lifetime. Don't listen to a random embittered anon when it comes to life advice, especially when they're using the word "never".

With enough hard work, dedication and patience, virtually anything is possible.

But I emphasise those three virtues. If you half-ass it, especially at an older age, you won't achieve anything. So work hard, keep consistent and stop asking these questions on a shitstorm of a board full of cringe-worthy defeatists. I believe in you, anon.

I'm nearly 23 and I only started about 4 months ago. So we're somewhat in the same boat. I recommend CS50x on edX.
>>
>>53837503
Hello Udacity founder (:

That place is overpriced and shitty. edX or even Coursera are better.

Where did you hear that they "guarantee" a job placement upon graduation? Guarantee is a strong word btw, it means "100% certainty".
>>
>>53835565
dont kill yourself man, you are a worthy human being and someone loves you.
>>
File: 1405121573049.jpg (8 KB, 160x126) Image search: [Google]
1405121573049.jpg
8 KB, 160x126
>>53838185
>being baited this hard
>>
>>53838299
lurk moar faggot
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.