[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I make my PC consume as little power as possible while
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Power-Options-icon.jpg (9 KB, 256x273) Image search: [Google]
Power-Options-icon.jpg
9 KB, 256x273
How do I make my PC consume as little power as possible while only my torrent client is running? As far as I know sleep mode disables the network so down- and uploading doesn't work, and just idling still consumes quite a bit of power.
>>
Just use your phone, you do have an android phone with a microsd card, right?
>>
>>53830884
ras pi
>>
>>53830884
Use LAN.
>>
>>53830932
This DESU, a beefy PC like most people have here will never have a low idle wattage. Turn it off and make a seedbox/NAS/whatever.
>>
>>53830884
Use OSX. It's sleep mode is literally made for this.
>>
>>53830910
Use my phone to what? Seed and download hundreds of gigabytes?

>>53830950
I'm on LAN actually. I tested it for a bit and sleep mode does kill my connections.
>>
>>53830884
What's your setup?
Desktop or laptop?
Which OS?
>>
>>53830983
Desktop with W7. It's a pretty standard rig with some Haswell CPU.
>>
>>53830977
>Use my phone to what? Seed and download hundreds of gigabytes?
Do you just horde data then? I normally download 4-16GB torrents a few times a week on my phone and transfer them over to my laptop later. Only have a 64GB microsd card but will get a 128GB one soon so that I can torrent more before I have to transfer stuff over to my laptop.

Anyway phones use little battery when on wifi and the screen is off so torrenting on them is ideal. Of course if you are that much out of control in life and regularly download like 100GB of torrents a week then yeah a phone might not be the best solution.
>>
>>53831068
If you're using a graphics card, switch to onboard motherboard graphics to reduce GPU use
set literally all your options in power settings to low power use
close every application besides torrent client
>>
>>53830910
Yo vomit_chan, can you link that ultracheap pc from pcpartpicker you made some time ago on /wsr/?
>>
>>53831355
I made plenty so not sure which one you want. You can start a pc build help thread on /wsr/ and I'll talk with you there if you're interested in making a cheap pc build.
>>
Remove unused hard drives and peripherals. Set maximum processor state to 25% or lower.
>>
>>53831505
The one where you advised some kid who was going to start uni to buy a laptop and make a cheap pc instead of getting an expensive gaming rig. You recommended the A10 and the whole thing barely made it to $300. Imma take a look there though to see if I can find anything.

Also op you can schedule your pc to do the following:
Disconnect hard disk/optical drives
Turn down fan speeds

And you can basically turn off the speaker/monitor/disconnect usb devices/add an ssd.
>>
>>53830884
Get one of those netbooks. But a broken one with no screen so you can run it headless. I got an old hp netbook running some netbook Linux and a 1.5 TB HDD hooked up to it. Costs about $10 to run for a year. Not great for streaming content though. Too slow.
>>
>>53830884
You can change your c states in your bios if that's an option
>>
>>53831131
r u supreme gentlemen?
>>
>>53832211
vomit is a girl you retard
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.