[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
XFCE users may like this exchange: https://bugs.debian.org/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1438629065023.jpg (27 KB, 592x444) Image search: [Google]
1438629065023.jpg
27 KB, 592x444
XFCE users may like this exchange:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=819703

tldr: users are getting a warning every day because their xscreensaver is out of date. Not because they haven't apt-get updated, but because they simply won't get any better version for the debian they've installed.

>2016
>the biggest/most relevant linux distro can't upgrade itself (in an automated fashion)
>or for that matter, even alert the user to package updates period (in xfce; gnome is ok)
>>
>using plain debian for desktop usage
its like you think the desktop thread fags are the best people to ask about what distro to use. Wheezy is EOL, Jessie doesn't get updates as per normal. Jessie backports should exist. If you need xscreensaver (which you shouldnt because Lightdm is better for this) you can go use the millions of Debian distros running Xfce (notably, Linux Mint 17 or LMDE2)
>>
File: 1453388839110.jpg (24 KB, 346x250) Image search: [Google]
1453388839110.jpg
24 KB, 346x250
>>53827728
>a distro noted for its extreme stability doesn't upgrade itself

Gee I fucking wonder why.
>>
>>53827821
I used the word can't instead of doesn't, hoping you wouldn't get triggered too fast.
>>
>>53827805
>its like you think the desktop thread fags are the best people to ask about what distro to use.
Nah I've been on debian for years, but the package author in that thread reminded me of standards I used to have when I left windows.
>>
>>53827965
>XFECES
>X11
found your problemo OP
>>
>>53828074
you chose to have shit standards. This is the same as me asking why the latest PHP releases dont support Windows XP because "its windows! why wouldnt it run on windows!?"

If you want the latest, upgrade.
>>
>>53828125
Technically you're right, but jesus that's stretching a point. XP is going back 20 years, I'm on Deb 8.2 less than a year old.
>>
>>53828298
Debian 8.3 is out.
>Corollaries to this in the commercial world are Development, Testing, and Production. In theory, businesses don't let anyone anywhere near their Production servers until they've proven their latest release isn't going to break anything which currently works, and whose new features or functionality have been documented to the business's satisfaction. This is what Debian's Stable name means: that, once released, the operating system remains relatively unchanging over time.

Debian stable has always been behind on purpose. Jessie has Xfce 4.10, ubuntu distros have 4.12. If I were you I'd reconsider your choice of debian-based distribution m8. Or maybe move to testing?
>>
>>53827728
Xscreensaver's package maintainer is totally being a knob. He's provided no help ("just upgrade your incredibly out-of-date 1 year old is"), and when people say disable the warning he says to remove it from the distro.

This is why no one deals with open-source
>>
>>53828407
>no-one deals with open-source
I don't understand how neckbeards who browse all day on /g/ don't understand the importance of open source.
>>
>>53828368
>Or maybe move to testing?
In light of your post, I'll do that on next iso download.
>>
>>53828427
Its important, but nobody wants to deal with some man-child who throws a fit when people want to get rid of his warning; just because he doesn't want to deal with bug reports. On top of the fact his license is "free as in freedom" so he literally can't do shit if they take it out.

>>53828632
Just change jessie to stretch in your sources.list
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.