[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a /g/ guide for tablets? Looking for something not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: file.png (3 MB, 2455x2052) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3 MB, 2455x2052
Is there a /g/ guide for tablets?

Looking for something not ridiculously expensive but not slow and cheap like the Amazon Fire
>>
Don't even consider anything else than iPad Air 2. Even the price is very low right now.
>>
>>53827180

>+£300

no ty
>>
>>53827139
The amazon fire is fine if you're a normalfag or doing normalfag things.
>>
>>53827139
here you go:

iPad is the only tablet you should consider
>>
>>53827198
Don't get a fucking tablet then if you're too poor to get a proper one.
>>
>>53827306

chill out there lad
>>
ios sucks balls. there are shitloads of good and cheap android tablets. just think of which features are most important to you and do some research.
>>
>>53827139

Any Windows tablet since you can run actual programs like a torrent client or an actual web browser with adblocker.
>>
Android sucks ass right now as a tablet OS. This is the unique scenario where I would recommend Samsung because of TouchWiz; it may be bloated shit, but at least they fucking tried to tailor it to a tablet screen.
>>
>>53827669
enjoy you're 2x zoom iphone apps
>>
/g/ents, I'm thinking of buying a tablet for the sole purpose of reading pirated technical books in PDF (lots of tables, charts, code listings etc. so an ebook reader won't cut it). This is literally the *only* thing I would use it for. Can you recommend something cheap (but not chinese shit that will break in a week cheap) with a decent quality display that would suit my needs?
>>
>>53827758
All the apps I use on my tablet have good interfaces. I don't care about fart simulator #10000.
>>
File: IMG-20160331-WA0038.jpg (101 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160331-WA0038.jpg
101 KB, 720x1280
>>53827813
I'm using a phablet (6P), its a lot easier desu
>>
I bought this thing and I've been loving it for the past week. I wanted something like a surface, but with a keyboard that really turns it into a laptop when attached, and this thing does it well. It's my first tablet, though I typically use it in laptop mode unless I'm taking a shit or practicing drawing.

www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-13-7000-CONVERTIBLE/dp/B01686TRSA/

Feel free to greentext me and make me feel bad about my purchase
>>
>>53827907
Why would you get something like this crap? If you want a laptop then just buy a regular laptop, not some ghetto rigged abomination.
>>
>>53827813
Get the Amazon tablet for $60 diesel senpai
>>
>>53827924
I wanted it to be a tablet too. I don't use it in "laptop mode" most of the time, but when I do use it in tablet it's really nice. It's the exact thing I've desired ever since I've heard of the Surface, but was never happy with the type cover/kickstand thing.
>>
>>53827139
>guide for tablets
Yes, all it says are that tablets are useless
>>
>>53827969
Buy a tablet. Buy a laptop. These things are shit at being both.
>>
>>53827969
I meant to say I do use it in laptop mode most of the time
>>
>>53827139
Check out chinese tablets, look at techtablets.com

They easily give you the best performance for their price
>>
>>53827988
How is it shit at being a tablet? It disconnects and then it's literally a tablet. It acts just like a laptop when attached, shutting the screen off and everything when closed.

The only thing that makes it shit at being a tablet is no USB ports on it, they're only on the keyboard. A big ass con, but for me personally, I only use the mouse when it's docked anyway.
>>
>>53828029
>thinking you can use a giant 2 lb slab in your hands comfortable
>>
>>53827813
See: >>53827966
And i think its only 50$, when its not on sale.
>>
>>53828033
comfortably*
>>
Just get an ipad. There is no point in fucking around on android garbage when you need the most basic tasks done well.
>>
>>53828033
That might be a con if I want to use it "on the go". That is actually a valid point. For sitting around, it's nice though.
>>
>>53827625
Android tablet apps suck ass, and android apps in general or thoroughly mediocre. I bought a high-end Android tablet and was sorely disappointed to find that high quality apps are basically limited to a few big names that are on both platforms. Finding proper tablet apps is like pulling teeth, too; they're mostly stretched out phone apps that do jack shit to take advantage of larger screens.

I ended up returning said tablet and now have an iPad.

>>53827758
It's rare to find high-quality iOS apps that don't have iPad support. After installing 25+ apps I've run into exactly one that had no iPad support, and it was for a super niche site and I quickly found a different app that DID have proper iPad support.

Around 75% of all tablet usage is iOS, which means that market is important to iOS devs and holy shit does it show. I don't blame Android devs for not giving a shit with only 15% of tablet usage coming from Android tablets.
>>
>>53828161
Tell me what apps you found lacking on Android.
>>
>>53828062
This. Cheap android tables are not good neither in modding nor in performance, high ends will cost you an arm and a leg. Get an iPad Air 2013 in a deal for like 350-400$
>>
>>53827966
Or get it used for $30.
>>
>>53828161
android tablet apps are fine. your delusional
>>
>>53828181

Not the lack of apps, the quality and user experience suck. A tablet should not be a pc you have to fuck around with.

Not that a pc should be a pc instead of a mac.
>>
>>53828247
Tell me what apps lack a good user experience on an Android tablet.
>>
>>53828161
iphone is the only thing people buy anymore ipad app support is far from a given and iphone apps look like dogshit on ipad compared to android equivalent
>>
>>53828193
>350-400$
For that much you can get something that's actually useful, not a stinking iPad.
:^)
>>
>>53828287
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>53828181
Like I said, almost anything not by a big-name developer (which as it turns out, is quite a lot). Bad english was shockingly common, UI inconsistencies and oddities were the norm, and just a general lack of polish and professionalism. Probably the most polished little-guy app I installed was an open source file manager. As I noted before, it's also nearly impossible to find real tablet apps - most apps just treated my 10" like a gigantic smartphone.

Android itself still needs work too. USB charge mode by default is bad, MTP instead of UMS is even worse.

>>53828267
I've had far less trouble with it with my iPad than I did with my android tablet. The tablet app market on Android is a fucking wasteland.
>>
>>53828351
>no specific apps mentioned again
Just stop. You are embarrassing yourself.
>>
Get a Nvidia Shield K1 and forget all the faggots in this thread.
>>
>>53828374
this or a nexus 9 for bigger screen are the two best budget buys. or pixel c with dev discount for premium device.

if you want cheaper you will be sacrificing performance or battery life
>>
>>53828366
Because I returned the tablet and remembering specific names for noname shit isn't easy, but I'll try to remember some of my complaints.

Amaze was the file manager that was good. I use Perfect Viewer for manga which was functional and stable but its UI leaves a lot to be desired. Netflix refused to stream HD on the tablet itself. Chrome liked to randomly spazz and lock up on various pages and didn't support ad blocking. None of the SMB share utilities worked with my network shares despite all the other devices on my network connecting to them fine.
>>
>>53828502
ES and Solid Explorer work fine for connecting to network shares. Why the fuck do you care about the Perfect Viewer UI? You never have to see it at all after you set up your configuration. You're seriously complaining about lack of ad blocking when iOS JUST got ad blocking last year, when it was widely available on Android through host files since forever and through plugins with Firefox for a while as well? Now I know you're just trolling.
>>
>this amount of disgusting Apple shilling in one thread

Damn it, /g/. How can some people have so little self-respect?
>>
>>53828538
I didn't install ES because I read that it had turned crapware-tier, but Solid Explorer couldn't connect. Perfect Viewer is great once you've selected a title and are reading but its menu system is bizarre.

iOS had adblocking before content blockers through official VPN support. I didn't do the host file thing on my android tablet because that requires rooting, which is more of a PITA than it should be, and at least for my device it wasn't possible to leave encryption on and be rooted at the same time.
>>
>>53828686
>rooting is a PITA
get the fuck off /g/, retard
>>
Find a Nexus 7(2013) for ~$100-140. It's a great device.
>>
>>53828686
That's another thing I should note; navigating the Play store feels like navigating a minefield, requiring the user to research every app prior to installation to avoid getting a data slurper/malware/etc. It's exhausting and shouldn't be necessary at all on a casual content consumption device.

>>53828758
Maybe it's easier for other devices but for mine it required installing android dev tools and reinstalling android like 3 times in total alongside TWRP, and going by the thread it didn't even work right for half the people doing it, plus from then on you have to do updates manually since OTA gets borked. Way too much overhead to be worth it.
>>
File: 20160402_213410.jpg (1 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
20160402_213410.jpg
1 MB, 4160x3120
>>53827139
The struggle is real. I opted for the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro
due to it's superior 2560 QHD screen and great battery.
It's cheap because normies are stuck with Samsung Android 4.4 stock rom that has never been updated.
Just put a current Cyanogenmod with Android 5 or maybe 6 nightly on it and you will be fine.

Actually I liked the 4:3 ratio of TAB S2 better but it has lower resolution, is more expensive and has less battery life.
I would probably have also opted for the TAB A but it's battery sucks and the resolution of 1024*768 is just pathetic in 2016.
>>
>>53827139
Chuwi tablet running Windows or dual boot Windows/Android.
>>
File: haxxorpepe.gif (1 MB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
haxxorpepe.gif
1 MB, 720x720
>>53828882
1280x800 / 10
>>
>>53827306
>randomly dies after a year so you have to get new one
>>
LG gpad 8.3, its got a nice metal back, expandable storage 2gb of ram snapdragon 600 I got mine 2 years ago and I'm still using it today
>>
File: cap0409.jpg (114 KB, 400x489) Image search: [Google]
cap0409.jpg
114 KB, 400x489
>>53828934
>He doesn't know about the 1920x1200 Chuwi tablet

Look at him. Look at him and laugh.
>>
Here is your guide for tablets senpai:

Apple >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> literal sht >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> windows = android
>>
>>53829278
Can it run something that's not Windows well? Windows on a mobile device is seriously unappealing to me. I'd rather have a stripped down touch friendly Linux/BSD setup for such a device.

>>53829314
I'd put windows above android when it comes to tablets tbqh, even if I dislike windows
>>
Nexus 7 2013 is still a contender if budget is tight

Tab S2 is perfectly usable, but you know, for a Samshit device
>>
>>53827139
nexus tablet.
>>
>>53827139

I bought a used Nook HD+ 9" off ebay for $40 not too long ago. Cyanogen modded it.

Pros

>Cheap
>1920x1200 resolution
>lightweight

Cons

>1 GB Ram
>1.1 Ghz Dual Core processor

If you just want to read books, or watch videos, this is your machine.

Also, wtf is with all the people suggesting an iPad? I owned an iPad4 for a bit, and while it was good machine, with great build quality, there's nothing in there that makes it worth 5x-10x more than a cheap Windows or Android tablet.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.