[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
microsoft/canonical parthership
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1444579624739.jpg (63 KB, 566x433) Image search: [Google]
1444579624739.jpg
63 KB, 566x433
So its just emulator for Ubuntu without Linux kernel? Just bash,user space,syscalls..?

Offtopic (kind a) : Why did Microsoft do this? What's the catch?
>>
>the catch?

oy vey, why would there be a catch, goyim?
windows 10 is perfect and has no flaws
so buy windows 10 now

no really, it's just trying to push win10 harder
>>
>>53821846
>it's just trying to push win10 harder
what more do they want? 100% market share?
>>
>>53821827
>Why did Microsoft do this? What's the catch?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish
They don't want developers (especially younger ones) switching to Applel or GNU/Linux.
>>
File: 1325966202756.png (211 KB, 454x324) Image search: [Google]
1325966202756.png
211 KB, 454x324
>>53821827

>>the catch?

Cross platform Cortana and Tay's AI in the future goy.
>>
>>53821879
well ideally.... yes
>>
>>53821827
Nothing that relies on fancy kernel modules afaict. Simply text-mode userland only.

So no fancy network setups, no X, no Wayland, no custom kernel modules, nothing of any value that the Linux kernel has.
>>
>>53821885
I wonder how they can do this with software licensed under GPLv3. I know this is not hard to do with proprietary software.
>>
>>53822824
There are already X11 servers for Windows long before this partnership with Canonical.
>>
>>53822900
I'm talking about the ubuntu userland.
>>
>>53821879
Well,even Pony OS creators wishes for 100% market share.MS just has a higher chance to be.
>>
>>53822888
They can do it without any problems.The problem would how they would be able to do it after all these years of shaming it.it would be like Trump endorsing Sanders.
>>
>>53821885
Applel already has bash
>>
>>53824664
But hardly anyone bought it for bash.However MS is focusing more on making Windows developer friendly as of 10.
>>
>>53821827
Native linux binaries executable on windows. Same fucking thing FreeBSD already did years ago.
>>
>>53826139
In other words, it is indeed the year of the Linux Desktop!

And that desktop is Windows.
>>
It makes things easier for me to use Windows in a vm to make cross platform software, but it doesn't give me a reason to stop using real Ubuntu. It doesn't address any of the reasons why people choose not use Windows as their main OS. But If I had an extra PC I would maybe put Windows on it for gaming and cross platform development. But since I don't, I will just have a VM. It already had cygwin which is almost the same thing, though.
>>
>>53821885
They can't really do this with GNU software, which are all under the GPL.
If they extend it and make it public, they have to make the code public, and under the GPL, so everyone else can benefit from it.
>>
>>53821885
Wow, microsoft is actually evil.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.