[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What compression do you use for your backups /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: 10gb.png (54 KB, 651x396) Image search: [Google]
10gb.png
54 KB, 651x396
What compression do you use for your backups /g/?
>>
7z. Great compression ratio.
>>
by the graph pcompress seems the superior choice
>>
>>53819739
None. My backups are a rsync clone, no frills. Inefficient but convenient.
>>
The Long Range ZIP. It's simply the superiour choice.
>>
Nothing because I do a plain bittorrent sync. I would like to compress but there's not a good way of doing that with files that sync every couple hours.

I'm about to set up a home server though. It's going to mostly be storage space so I'll probably compress the files since they're not updating.

>>53819799
at the higher compression yes. If you want faster speeds then default zpaq is killin it.
>>
anybody use non-standard compression for anything? I used FreeARC for a while and liked it. It was overall just a tiny bit faster or better compressing than 7zip. It hasn't seen updates in a few years though so I went back to 7z
>>
I asked this recently and the consensus seemed to be LZMA2 was best
>>
tar.gz because i dont want to duck around when it comes to the point i beed them
>>
>>53819739
zip

>accessible on almost any OS without having to jump hoops
>can extract any file without unpacking the entire archive
>subpar compression, but I'm anal about organizing so I only need to regularly backup ~3 GB
>>
>>53820916
Probably not the BEST but it's the best that everyone uses, that'll you'll be able to find extraction tools for anywhere.
>>
>>53819821
this

most of the stuff I back up is video files that are negligibly compressible anyway
>>
>>53822053
There are compression algorithms that will shrink video by a decent amount, if you're prepared to wait.
>>
File: 1450694708448.png (228 KB, 400x514) Image search: [Google]
1450694708448.png
228 KB, 400x514
Incremental backups.
Please don't tell me you have multiple copies of the same, unchanged file.
>>
>>53819739
This graph is stupid because the compression ratio depends entirely on the data being compressed.
>>
>>53819739
>implying I back up
>>
Not at all because the largest files usually yield no significant reduction, as tjey usually already use a very efficient compression specifically for that file type (music, movies, photos). Couldn't care less about saving a few megs on the rest. Storage is not that expensive.
>>
File: compress.jpg (6 KB, 394x347) Image search: [Google]
compress.jpg
6 KB, 394x347
Windows
>>
>>53822334
Haha look at this guy, it's probably using Deflate internally.
>>
i usually remove 0 bits from my files
it helps save space
>>
>>53822450
At least now they are easy to compress
>>
>>53822450
>remove no data
>saves space
u w0t m8
>>
>>53819739
None. btrfs snapshots are already space-efficient enough that I haven't bothered turning on compression.
>>
>>53822082
Which ones?
>>
>>53822491

>He never played RE4
>>
>>53822549
Sorry mate, but I'm an adult so I don't play video games.
>>
>>53822696
>I define myself by refraining from doing enjoyable things. It means I'm an adult.
We live in a sad world.
>>
>>53822491
he removes zero bytes from the file
how doesn't save space, anon?
>>
>>53823468
because a 0 takes up 0 space, dummy
>>
>>53822696
instead I post on 4chan. So mature
>>
tar :')
>>
File: _rms.jpg (103 KB, 350x278) Image search: [Google]
_rms.jpg
103 KB, 350x278
>>53819821
This. Hard drives are cheap as fuck, why waste CPU and I/O on compression when you can just set up daily delta backups with rsync.
>>
>>53822053
If a video gets any compression from a generic compression program, then you are encoding your video wrong. Same for images.
>>
>>53822416
Lz77
>>
>>53823622
Because you can boost how much you can back up, only costing the electricity for compressing. If you do backups nightly then the processing power isn't being used for anything else
>>
>>53823921
I don't encode my own stuff though, I download some shit that somebody else encoded.

PNGs also often have poor compression. Most of them you can run through truepng and other optimizer and get 10%-20% smaller size.

But the ratio for already-compressed media isn't worth the time spent compressing
>>
>>53819739
>What compression do you use for your backups

Nothing. Just encrypted ZFS incremental snapshots.

I don't generate nearly enough uncompressed data to make compressing backups worthwhile.
>>
no archiving
no raid
just pure jbod and bunch of folders
fuck you
>>
How do I into incremental backups? I'm still quite reliant on GUI so something pleb proof pls. Backing up about 7tb of data.
>>
>>53825251
Also something that keeps copies of modified files?
>>
>>53819739
middle-out
>>
>>53825251
>>53825313
rsync -arbuv --delete --progress -exclude-from=/backup-excludes.txt --link-dest=$VAR_NEWEST_BACKUP $SOURCE_LOCATION $BACKUP_LOCATION/backup_$DATE/ ;

and a bunch of shit before where you define all this stuff. There is literally hundreds of sh files with a backup based on that line or a variant thereof floating around the web. And they are mostly easy enough to understand, even if you no next to nothing about bash.
>>
>>53825698
I can get to grips with lines like that, I understand and recognise most of it.

I still struggle with editing larger scripts so it works on my machine though cos I'm a shit.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.