[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Workplace Secrets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: peanut.jpg (262 KB, 1022x800) Image search: [Google]
peanut.jpg
262 KB, 1022x800
Wagecucks of /g/ share workplace secrets from your tech companies
>>
>>53818512
If you missconfigure your Firewall and lock yourself out, there is nothing I can do to help you.
>>
Do what you're told to do
Your boss probably knows more than you do. I don't give a shit if you graduated in the top 0.5%. Your opinion is shit, and your intuition is shit.
Keep applying to other jobs even if you're comfy at your current one. You never know when there will be cut backs. I apply to a different job posting at least once a month. If you're too lazy to apply to other jobs, then think of things like middle management and up your risk assessment skills

Middle aged companies with 15 to 20 employees are really comfy. No stress at all. Startups are bs. Large corporations are soul sucking.
>>
File: NSlKY7q.jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
NSlKY7q.jpg
49 KB, 500x500
>>53818512
What's with the names? Google?
>>
test
>>
I'm working at a datacenter and I wrote myself a text file of "BS I learned while working at a datacenter"

- Machines WILL go down. Parts die, switches go down, people pull the wrong plugs.
- Have redundancy. No single thing should be mission critial
- Aside from backups, nothing legit ever runs overs 100 Mbit
- VPS VMs should be limited in bandwidth and resource usage. Maybe 50 Mbit.
- VPS VMs should be monitored for spam and DOS
- VMs and PXE are great for quickly reinstalling machines
- Clients will run ancient software and never update. Have security contingency plans.
- hotswap drives are nice, trayless/screwless hotswap are god-tier
- machines with screw-on ears will bend, machines with rails will not
- hardware firewalls are huge pains in the ass
- if IPMI dies on a colocated machine just replace the damn mobo, because if anything goes wrong then the tech fees will rape you
- resellers increase response times for any tasks or tickets. Avoid reseller chains
- few clients actually check the status of their RAID drives, they just let em die. Hurr durr.
>>
>>53820216
keeping machines online:
- RAID1 or 10 with hotswap drives
- actually monitor the drives
- dual PSUs, each on different PDUs, in case a cord comes loose, gets pulled, or the cord has to be moved
- power cable locks

abuse related:
- the abuse queue never ends. Automate it.
- cheap VPS providers will not check ID
- the more resellers you go through the longer takedowns will take
- the FBI can't really touch foreign customers but they can get warrants/takedowns for the US-based providers
- you can keep a server up almost indefinitely by using cheap VPS proxies under multiple names. The proxies will get the takedowns instead of the main machine
>>
>>53818635
its just a prank bro
>>
I work on the embedded system of high speed trains in france (TGV). Don't ever lean/rest on the doors while going 300+ kph. And don't ever press the "open doors" button while doing so...
>>
>>53820216
>- Aside from backups, nothing legit ever runs overs 100 Mbit
What kinda shit tier DC did you work in? Looking at my egress bandwidth right now it's sitting around 80gbit/s, we have servers that bounce off line rate on 10g sr spf+ and a few on 40g or bonded 10g links.

Everything else is pretty accurate though.

Also

- Don't use RAID5 for >10tb, RAID6 > 15tb. Stripe across multiple arrays if needed instead.
- 99% of the time branded servers aren't worth it, just get supermicro or whitebox unless you have a massive volume discount.
- Cisco and ios is shit, Juniper 4 lyf
- A decent x86 box can do packet filtering at line rate for a fraction of the price of a hardware fw and is way more flexible
- Hard drives are disposable, treat them as such if you care about your data.
- Never reuse cat5/6 cables, not much more effort to just crimp a new one.
- Metrics/monitoring/sflow/netflow is a LOT more data than you think it is, make sure your infra and endpoint can do 1mpps or you're in for a bad time.
- Don't use shitty bloated monitoring that only justifies its own existence.
>>
>>53818512
Never, ever, ever accept a helpdesk job as your first job unless you are prepared to be miserable for 10 years, with no energy or motivation to get yourself out of that hole
>>
>>53820646

>doors open while moving
what the flying fuck lmao what stupid shitty fucking trainsystem hahah fuck france is ran by niggers my man
>>
>>53820869
calm your shit nancy.
It COULD happen if a lot of conditions were met. We saw that in the code. Never happened in 25+ years with billions of passengers tho.
>>
>>53820796
>What kinda shit tier DC did you work in?
lel. It's pretty shady DC that mostly has dedicated servers on 1G copper and VPSes with resellers-of-resellers-of-resellers and some shell companies. Any clients that have something significant will have a whole rack and their own switch so we don't monitor that like the dedis.
>>
>>53821032
Damn, the 18 levels of reselling are the worst fucking clients. Luckily we're generally way too expensive for them so its a nice filter but a couple slip through occasionally.
>>
>>53820646
>>53820908

>taking a train in a 3rd world muslim shithole
>>
>>53818512

Specialized in something that is not easily replaced. Job security. Think computer vision, firmware, graphics, etc...

Haggle for a position that allows you to work remotely.

Make sure no one really understands what you do. Make it sound way more complicated and important than it is.

I've been working remotely from my house in the midwest for the last 4 years, for a startup in the bay area. Bay area salary + cheap flyover state cost of living = $$$. Plus I only really work 2 days a week, and spread out my deliverables as long as the managers will let me. As far as they know, I'm going above and beyond, when In reality I spend 80% of my work week dicking around.
>>
>>53821221
Where you from m8?
>>
>>53822292
That would be great if I had the self motivation to work remotely. I need a small amount of external force, like sitting next to a coworker or friend, to really get shit done
>>
>>53822426
I learned that in college. Took an online class and flunked it because I kept neglecting to do any work if I didn't have to wake up, get dressed, and be somewhere. Got a job after I graduated where there was a big work-from-home culture, everybody looked at me funny for coming to the office every single day. I don't understand how they could get any work done if they were sitting at home, I'd have just been shitposting all day.

then again some of them probably were shitposting all day, that place was kinda terrible
>>
They're not really secrets but:

-Absolutely no unit tests of any kind
-A build going to production gets no testing whatsoever, it's whatever happens to be in the trunk at the time of updating, newcomers get asked if they committed x feature and tried it, that's good enough
-People get humiliated when the build eventually doesn't work in production, thanks to no testing

It's kind of awful, but I have a morbid curiosity to continue here just to see the day when it all backfires gloriously. It almost cost the biggest customer some time ago.
>>
>>53822538
my friend's workplace is not quite that clusterfucky. They do publish patches with tons of unpublished bug fixes though
>if using ubuntu, all your shit might get deleted
>>
>>53820853
I did. Worked there for a few years, quit, applied to a few new jobs including other helpdesk ones. Just been accepted at one. Much nicer than the last one, lower workload, nicer people, less stress, higher pay.
>>
testing
>>
>>53818635
who's this qt? i him to bully me~
>>
>>53818512
oil company:
-good salary and they cover a lot of expenses.
-you can die so easily
-the technology is so old that sometimes I had to build some components because they were outdated.
-nobody gives a fuck about the "ultra secret technology" we use. I have all the diagrams of how to build their machines in a flash drive.
-most of your bosses are stupid rednecks
-sometimes you have to work for days without sleep and energy drinks are prohibited, those days you were lucky no one has a gun around.
-most of the work is made by the computer automatically the crew you see is just to impress the client. So must of them are just there playing with their phones or watching movies.
>>
>>53823768
>>-most of the work is made by the computer automatically the crew you see is just to impress the client. So must of them are just there playing with their phones or watching movies.
that sounds like a pretty good job to have
>>
>>53823768
>-you can die so easily
sign me up
>>
>>53823946
The best is that they compensate your family with some millions. So, they are sad every time you came back alive.
>>
>>53823814
doing nothing for a job kinda sucks when all you have is a phone
>>
>>53818512
If you find a mission critical error as you are leaving and stay 30 minutes past to fix it because you can and you are the only person on site at the time before the system goes live. You will be written up for 30 minutes of unauthorized overtime which will negatively impact your performance review. This will happen regardless of you pointing out that those 30 minutes saved the entire diversion 4 times your yearly pay in data loss cost alone, not including client relations and other.

Coworker will start talking like you were out to get over time for the money, despite missing dinner with the wife and kids which you prefer given how hard you have been working recently.

I am told this is how successful companies are run. I am still having trouble understanding it.
>>
File: breakbox.jpg (72 KB, 448x688) Image search: [Google]
breakbox.jpg
72 KB, 448x688
>>53820646
jesus christ, why don't you have a break box around the damn buttons?
>>
>mechanic intervention
>we charge 15€ for when you use the wrong fuel at the station, all included
>i do this 10-15 times a week easily
>people are so happy we charge so little
>they really don't realize
>we suck the tanks dry
>most of the time for 40-70€ worth of fuel
>we use all that diesel/gas for our multifuel generators & heaters
>boss' sides in orbit every year when the bills arrive
>don't pay more than 10% of what he used to
>generators profitable after 18 months
>we all get a bonus

>"woah your service for this is so cheap, thank you !"
>>
>>53818581
Startups are great fun. I've never had a more fun job. Until they crash and leave you unemployed, like myself.
>>
>>53822538
I live that life once upon a time. The business couldn't keep it up and had to introduce strict testing rules.
>>
>>53823768
>-sometimes you have to work for days without sleep and energy drinks are prohibited, those days you were lucky no one has a gun around.
Fucking hell man that sounds terrible.
>>
>>53818512
cameras in bathroom
>>
I work at 4chan, and I've learned that anonymity is a lie. We've even put it to the test in our workplace, going through several boards and adding people's actual names to their posts. It works almost 98% of the time, because of how much information is kept on your computer and through your IP that you don't even know about.
>>
>>53823768
>-sometimes you have to work for days without sleep and energy drinks are prohibited, those days you were lucky no one has a gun around.
just like in a hospital.

I recently went to start my shift at Wednesday morning and were back home Friday morning.
But I had days out for the entire Easter Break.

We have various drugs to aid ourselves in that though.
>>
>users call into help desk
>"I need this done now"
>SLA is 3-5 days on access requests
>work order made
>user sends a message to my manager requesting escalation an hour
>"I submitted this last week"
>I'll get right on it.

If you lie, we will tell you we will get right to it and put it at the bottom of our to-do.
>>
>>53818512
All the passwords are qwerty123
>>
>>53824376
Let the system fail.

I'm serious. I'm not being a smarmy Anon trying to get you to fuck yourself over. Just turn your brain off and clock out. Not your problem anymore.

Someone in your corporate hierarchy has someone above them bitching about overtime. Let the systems fail, because they need proof that the overtime is justifiable.

Never work overtime again without them explicitly asking you to. If you're leaving and a system is offline, explain the situation and estimated costs to your superior. If they don't bring up the topic of overtime, nether do you. If they're not around when you clock out, send an email explaining the situation and that, based on previous conversations, you're following their directions about overtime you'll be leaving the systems offline.
>>
>>53824924
jej
>>
Fucking hell, listening to all these stories makes me glad I work in an office of 6. Sure, I have to answer the phone a fair bit but at least there's no bullshit
>>
>>53822538

That sounds very similar to where I work , except I'm on the receiving end of that from customers.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.