[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the best material to 3D print with if you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: 3d printer filaments.png (366 KB, 1714x680) Image search: [Google]
3d printer filaments.png
366 KB, 1714x680
what's the best material to 3D print with if you're making structural components?
>>
>>53818113
man up and get a milling machine.
>>
>>53818130
i can't afford it. i work with an atom 2.0 3D printer that goes within 50 microns for extrusion. the equivalent CNC would be like 50k man. plus it's for prototypes. i just wanted them to be durable when being displayed or handled.
>>
bimp
>>
>>53818113
carbon nanotubes
>>
>>53819088
nigga what. how would you even make an extrusion out of that? wouldn't most of its properties be lost when it's heated?
>>
Abs
>>
>>53818113
Titanium powder
>Ti 6-4
>>
>>53819348
but that requires DMLS. almost nobody in the industry has that shit down to micron level precision except for spacex and so forth.
>>
>>53818113
Steel using laser sintering.
>>
>>53818113
EBM Titanium. Some post-processing required, for best results HIP

>>53819482
No one has it down to micron level precision. EBM is a much better process than DMLS, removing metal supports sucks. People in the industry use EBM more than you would think plebm
>>
>>53818113
booo
>>
for regular 3d printers, nylon. Nylon in general is a pretty tough material, used often in guns, usually referred to as just "polymer". There are many different grades and strength. Google to see what brands and specific filaments are available

For laser sintering you can get steel and titanium. Mad expensive.
>>
>>53819575
what does Electronic body music have to do with anything?
>>
Titanium
>>
>>53819621
is it super abrasive? i hear you have to replace heads a lot if they aren't reinforced versions.
>>
>>53819575
Selective Laser Melting>EBM. NASA used it to make a rocket injector out of 2 pieces instead of the normal 100+.
>>
>>53819694
I haven't heard that myself. Know any forums or something talking about it?
>>
>>53818130
Proud of you son.
>>
>>53819855
it isn't so much forums as it is one particular PLA manufacturer that says it about their own particular materials like ABS and carbon fiber. they usually say shit like "This material is somewhat abrasive, so consider upgrading to a wear resistant nozzle for less regular maintenance." I'm worried about using some PLAs because of it since my titanium head isn't cheap to replace, as i use it mainly for regular plastics for 50 micron printing.
>>
>>53819098
Quantum micron Nano-tube residuals
>>
>>53819679
>easily available
>>
>>53819867
then there's this guy
>>
>>53819944
>not assembling your print particle by particle
it's like you want to print shit
>>
>>53819957
>printing particle by particle

yes because i've always wanted to wait 500 years for a single dragon dildo to materialize only for it to be seized by the NSA.
>>
>>53819860
>Gwen
>son
>>
>>53819575
apparently there's research going on for EBM where wires extrude out into a vacuum chamber like how 3D printing plastics are done in ambient conditions. it should be pretty cool to see some replicators using titanium and inconel filaments.
>>
>>53818113
>isis
>not octalink

Pleb
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.