[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/, please enlighten me to as to why AMD is horseshit. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1445359407114.png (254 KB, 608x443) Image search: [Google]
1445359407114.png
254 KB, 608x443
/g/, please enlighten me to as to why AMD is horseshit.

I just upgraded to a i5 6600K from an FX-Series processor and now have consist FPS in all my games and the random freezing that I kept getting stopped. What the bloody fuck!?
>>
>>53816204
intel pays developers to boycott amd
>>
>>53816221
or maybe AMD's just retarded to choose more and more virtual cores over IPC increments.
hope things change with zen.
>>
>>53816503
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/amd-slams-biased-and-unreliable-intel-benchmarks/
>>
>>53816204
They're not.
Fx6300 beats an i3 4170 at multi threading.
It's faster in New games and slower in one ones because it uses 6 weaker threads than the i3 which uses 4 stronger threads and games have only recently starting pushing multi thread engines.

They're amazing value for tasks that take advantage of heavy multithreading since an fx8320 is cheaper than an i5 4460 but can challenge an i7 4770 after oc.
>>
>>53816571
thing is this depends on everyone's usecase as to what you define as "real world".

I use my computer for emulating 6th gen. consoles
high end AMD CPUs suck massively at that compared to even entry level Intel CPUs.

except for the experimental DX12 dolphin build(which came out after i had already built my PC) AMD is useless for me.
>>
File: 1459501730912.gif (3 MB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1459501730912.gif
3 MB, 320x320
>>53816204
You upgraded from a 5 year old CPU architecture and process node to one that is a few months old.
God forbid there were improvements being made during that time.
>>
>>53816204
You just upgraded a several years old CPU that is part of one of AMD's underwhelming architectures to a brand new high-end CPU built on a good architecture. Guess why you're having a better experience.

In the end, what you're ultimately talking about is not a brand thing, it's a product thing. Athlon64 was great, Phenom line-up was great, and Zen is looking to be pretty damn good if it's priced well. AMD has had its highs and lows, even if Intel are a bunch of greedy jews that have gone as far as breaking the law to screw AMD instead of competing fairly.
>>
>>53816204
I miss The Ripping Friends
>>
>>53816204
>I updated from a 100-150 dollar processor to a 300+ dollar processor and I get better performance
>>
>>53817608

>Phenom
>good
>Forgetting the cold bug

Phenom II was good for a while, but it was all down hill from there. Hopefully Zen isn't a disappointment like Bulldozer was.
>>
>>53816625

That's not exactly right. The problem with AMD is it's relatively weak single core performance because the Bulldozer architecture was built with multithreading in mind. AMD was betting hard on multithreading, but it was too ahead of it's time in a way.
>>
Bulldozer was a mistake. Also developers not properly performance testing on all platforms.
>>
>>53817838
Isn't that pretty much what he said?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.