[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Self-learning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: MOKVJ4J.jpg (204 KB, 1334x591) Image search: [Google]
MOKVJ4J.jpg
204 KB, 1334x591
I don't ever come to this board so go easy on me. Well, /g/, I have a huge interest in learning. Some foreign languages, math, physics, computer stuff, etc. I want to really get a bunch of knowledge in the field of computer science, but I don't have the money or time as I am currently a full time student going into electrical engineering. I tried to just find a Comp Science course and try to locate a textbook used for that class but I can't figure out how to do that. I was wondering if you guys had any good ideas on self-learning this kind of stuff. Self-learning referring to not paying buttloads of money to an educational institution.
>>
>>53815910
>Some foreign languages, math, physics, computer stuff, etc. I want to really get a bunch of knowledge in the field of computer science
Pick something. Stop fucking around in all these different fields or you'll become useless. "Well-rounded" means shit at everything.
>>
>>53815923
I don't plan to kick ass at everything. I want to kick ass at one thing (electrical engineering) and spend as much time as I can getting as good as I can with the others. I just really enjoy the aspect of learning something and being able to use it. Again, I know I won't ever kick ass at it probably, but something you know?
>>
>>53815910
>want to learn
>tons of subjects listed
>no time

Pick a specific subject that looks the most interesting. Make time. Lose some sleep, get some B's. You don't need to be a perfect student to get a career.
>>
>>53815990
The no time was more to be "no time that I can for sure dedicated at certain times" (aka. classes). I want to learn it whenever I have free time, which varies. I have no static time to stick to.

I'm mostly trying to stick to these:
Korean
Physics/Engineering
Math
Whatever comp. science I can learn.

If I get really good at one, I'll swap it's place with something else. I do appreciate the input though
>>
>>53815990

This. Anyone who has gone through undergrad will tell you that experience > grades. OP, I'm assuming you're a first or second year student, but what subject within EE really interests you?
>>
>>53815910
smoke meth. lots of it.
>>
>>53816051
I'm 2.5 years in. Due to a move (and thus a change in general ed) I only have like 32 credits toward my major so technically a sophmore. I'm thinking something along the lines of robotics, artificial intelligence, maybe something that NASA might be able to use? Not set on a goal but those are my thoughts so far.
>>
>>53816094

Okay, so you're not too far in yet. I'm a recent graduate, and my advice would be to start doing internships ASAP if you haven't done so already. Experience will allow you see how working in your chosen field really is, not just the cool bits that textbooks show.

Also, look at the statistics on how jobs will be for your chosen subject. AI may seem big now, but there may be next to no jobs for you when you graduate, unless you're a genius (I have no idea, but this is just an example).
>>
>>53816094
>I'm thinking something along the lines of robotics, artificial intelligence, maybe something that NASA might be able to use?
You should probably switch to computer engineering. Most of the jobs available for EEs are related to power and transmission. You'll have a hard time finding a job because common filters will be working against you.
>>
>>53816147
Honestly if I had the time (as defined above) I would love to do internships. Just, the way school is, I have to try and learn what I can during whatever free time I get, which varies.

>>53816211
I've thought about that a lot honestly. That's a tough call. I VERY thoroughly enjoy physics and it's closely related sciences which is why I stuck to EE. I feel Comp Eng would have a lot less physics involved. I will definitely ponder that proposition for a bit though. It's no easy call unfortunately.
>>
>>53816027
Koreanboo, I bet you listen to KPOP and want an asian girlfriend, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>53816283
not a koreaboo but I do like the music and, sometimes the people/culture. Joke's on you though, I just want a girlfriend, if she's asian then so be it.
>>
>>53816297
Nah you're a koreaboo, you like KPOP and the women just like weeaboos. Admit it, no shame in that.
>>
>>53816328
As far as I understand, a koreaboo/weaboo is a person who thinks that said culture/people are cooler/superior and wish they were born into it and pretty much obsessed about it. I could give a fuck where I was born as long as it's not some radical muslim country. I find them interesting but I understand that it's all due to perspective.
>>
>>53816384
annyeog!! ~ x3_^ I am a Korean kawaii! ~^ hehe :3 i reallllly sarang this Oppa but Oppa doesn't sarang me >< :-( i want to hold hands with Oppa and be his girl. Oppa is so kawaii, but Oppa sarang another unni :-( I really Sarang Oppa, what should I doooo? :3 >< Ahh Oppa is so kawaii and I really love Oppa too much. Oppa Saranghae <3 ^ please help me, oppas and unnis, and alll dongsengs. I really want you to help me if you are my sunbae in sarang, because me is only a hoobae because this is my first sarang and I need lessons. kamnashiminda, Saranghae!! :3 ^^
>>
If you want to learn besides your major;
>pick something general
Economics, business, psychology, etc.
The breadth you can apply these fields to is absolutely amazing.

Learning a language without ever using it is pure waste; you'll simply forget it.
>>
>>53817259
I just got cancer
>>
Man
I wish I had friends that liked studying.
Want to be friends, OP?
>>
>>53817259
I don't recall this being a cringe thread

>>53817316
I wanted to major in physics but my physics professor in high school suggested otherwise. He said unless you're going into teaching or (something else i forgot) he'd rather say do engineering.

>>53817472
Not sure if troll or not troll. If not troll sure. If troll....sure
>>
File: research.jpg (196 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
research.jpg
196 KB, 1000x750
meme autodidact
>>
>>53815910
I know that same feel OP

I'm majoring in computer engineering but want to study piano, Japanese, hobbyist electronics, and woodworking. Life just sucks.
>>
>>53816027
pick one at a time idiot. especially since "no time" just pick one.
>>
File: 1430010181304.jpg (44 KB, 287x500) Image search: [Google]
1430010181304.jpg
44 KB, 287x500
>write music and screenplays
>draw concept art
>do khan and code academy
>do the hard way of python and C/C++
>do DIY guides for 3D printing stuff
>do some matlab and solidworks
>do undergrad in physics

is this too much? i also tried to pick up maya for animation. i have experience with IK rig setups and posing but not full blown animation so i think it'd be nice.
>tfw average at a bunch of shit but not truly exceptional at one
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.