[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Google fucks up Gmail April Fools' prank
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 19
File: baio.png (32 KB, 625x259) Image search: [Google]
baio.png
32 KB, 625x259
http://archive.is/0crNa

>Google substituted “send and archive” — which many people use habitually and click on without a second thought — for ‘MicDrop,’ making it a recipe for disaster for many. One user claimed to have lost business as a result of the prank.

To be quite honest, if you unironically use Gmail for business, then you deserve all the bad things that happen to you.

But this is still ridiculous. Way to go, Google! That's why you'll never be as big as Apple or Microsoft...
>>
A few retards fucked up and sent a gif. Oh well
>>
File: Ce7c8oFWIAAfMQ4.jpg (30 KB, 600x443) Image search: [Google]
Ce7c8oFWIAAfMQ4.jpg
30 KB, 600x443
>jewgle
>>
>>53806848
holy shit, that's borderline lawsuit material there

>> gg, kikes
>>
>>53806708
Pretty much everyone uses gmail for business. If not explicitly, implicitly via some inhouse solution.

But nothing less expected from jewgle: muh norities is more important than the clients.
>>
>>53806708
really immature and not funny
>>
>clicking on buttons without knowing what they do
>not reading news message boxes
>driving with eyes shut and pedal to the floor
retards gonna be retarded
>>
>>53806993

>Pretty much everyone uses Exchange for business.

FTFY
>>
On one hand I can't blame people entirely for missing it and hitting the wrong button. Shits always changing and I'm finding I'm becoming a creature of habit. Rearranging buttons, moving features, changing themes and stuff. Kind of ridiculous.

On the other hand. Google could have added a "are you sure you wanna drop the mic" notification and it might wake people up a bit and question what they are doing.

When I reset my phone the fucking camera app asks me 6 questions before I can take a picture. They can add a notification to the mic drop shit.
>>
>>53806891
>>53806993
They did not enable it for the business suite. So if those people would have been using the business suite like they were supposed to, nothing would have happened.
>>
>>53807186
I've never heard of even a single person using exchange for business unless they work for M$.
>>
File: pinged_in_piechart.gif (28 KB, 600x292) Image search: [Google]
pinged_in_piechart.gif
28 KB, 600x292
>>53807419

>fourth most common MTA
>durr nobody uses it
>>
>>53807484
>believing M$ shills don't make up 70% of the exchange demographic
Back to LOO pajeet
>>
>>53806708
What a pussy
>>
>>53806708
Isn't the joke that there was such a feature and people complained about it? Like some sort of meta joke?
>>
File: 1458825487510.jpg (76 KB, 519x600) Image search: [Google]
1458825487510.jpg
76 KB, 519x600
>>53806708
>never be as big as Apple or Microsoft
>>
>>53807955
That could be. Never thought of that. I noticed these reports were up and the places posting them said 14 hours ago and stuff. I know different time zones but I just find its a little weird.
>>
>>53807418
How about Google not modify emails in the first place? Seems reasonable enough imo desu senpai
>>
>>53807089
>>not reading news message boxes
>not immediately closing annoying pop-up shit
>>
Business people are cancer who deserve this for being so stupid and taking themselves so seriously.
>>
This didn't affect GAPPS Business email, they shouldn't have used regular gmail kek.
>>
>>53808481
Mail shouldn't be messed with at all.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM3PU3w_Tr4
based VC
>>
>>53806708
What does this change exactly?
And why would someone loose a business over this?
>>
>moot gets hired at Google
>immediately fucks shit up

No surprises there.
>>
>>53808605
yeah probably not but the butthurt is pretty swell.
>>
>>53809100
kek
>>
>>53806848
I dont get why the minion is in it?

Also 1) all your data belongs to gmail regardless of using gmail or not
2) gmail is the best email provider besides yourself
3) use thunderbird @@
>>
File: 1458181388914.jpg (414 KB, 900x837) Image search: [Google]
1458181388914.jpg
414 KB, 900x837
>using the original botnetmail to begin with
>>
>>53806708
What is 'MicDrop'? Can someone explain this better I don't understand.
>>
>not using plain text in a proper e-mail client
that'll teach 'em
>>
>>53809202
Seems to be something retarded:
https://gmail.googleblog.com/2016/03/introducing-gmail-mic-drop.html

>UPDATE: Well, it looks like we pranked ourselves this year. Due to a bug, the Mic Drop feature inadvertently caused more headaches than laughs. We’re truly sorry. The feature has been turned off. If you are still seeing it, please reload your Gmail page.
>>
>>53806993
Here in Romania 99% of business and serious people have their own mail servers paired with their name as domain.
>>
>>53809237
>Posted by Victor-bogdan Anchidin, Software Engineer
>>
Forgery is a felony and editing other people's e-mails to include unique content under the guise that the sender did it is exactly that.
>>
>>53809317

Too bad all gmail users agreed to Google's terms of service when they signed up. I hate jewgle as much as anyone, but it's a private service.

Don't like it? Don't use it.
>>
>>53809100
underrated post
>>
>>53809100
heh
>>
>>53806708
>They laughed at me for using IMAP client
>Now I laugh at them for being cucks
>>
>>53809339
>>53809339
Yes and having read it, I'm aware that this violates their own TOS.

Google is in violation of both federal law and its terms of service. Even if the latter is untrue, a TOS cannot exempt you from a federal crime, bur rather must be within the scope of it. Any TOS which asks to violate Federal Law is another violation of the law itself, and in fact just opens up the claim that the forgery was premeditated.
>>
>>53809317
Google isn't editing anything.
The users are clicking a button that says "Send + Mic Drop".
>>
>>53809408

No it fucking doesn't you armchair lawyer.

When Gmail automatically adds a signature to the bottom of your email, is it forgery? When YOU (read: not google) press a button to add a picture to your email, it's not forgery. You simply could have paid attention and not added the picture. It's a shitty and immature thing to do, but it's not forgery.
>>
>>53809410
see:
>>53806848
It's forgery, and it's forgery that will definitely cause damages. Unless a disclaimer pops up explaining that this mic drop shit will do this, and the mortuary was intentionally sending that minion's gif, instead of Google sending it without their knowledge and under the guise that the sender intentionally placed it there (forgery).
>>
>>53809488

You're a fucking idiot. I'm done arguing with you.
>>
>>53806708
Normies BTFO... why is Google so based?
>>
>>53809488
He clicked a button that said send + micdrop

He may have not realized what he did as he did it, but he clicked a button that specifically states it.
>>
>>53806993
>gmail for business.

This is true, I use it for all my private trackers, that shit is serious business.
>>
>>53809488
While technically, yes, this is forgery, it is not unlawful forgery. In order to qualify as criminal status, the act must have been committed with the intent to defraud, defame or personally benefit. Google had no intentions with this.

It's just a prank, bro.
>>
>>53809511
>google disables it even though the day just started
>google did nothing wrong
>>
>>53809540
This guy here. Just learned that you have to click a button to add the gif. I retract my statement about this being forgery. No court in the world would call this forgery.
>>
>>53809552
Well according to them it was a bug. Bug or not, if people hate it it's smart to disable it.
>>
>>53809552

They didn't do anything wrong. It's their own service, they can add as many shitty buttons as they want as long as they stay within the law there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>53809540
Google did this with the intent to benefit itself. Whether or not it intended to harm people with forgery is irrelevant to the fact that it did commit forgery (on a mass scale). It's a huge corporation, it is always trying to act for its own benefit.

Anyone who takes damages from this prank deserves the right to seek restitution.
>>
Sometimes the smartest guy in the room is still an idiot.
>>
Dumbasses shouldn't be trying to run a business with an @gmail. Serves them right.
>>
>>53809571
That they're claiming it's a bug just proves it's an april fool's prank gone bad.

https://gmail.googleblog.com/2016/03/introducing-gmail-mic-drop.html
This page describes a very obvious april fool's prank, but then is edited to state that the whole thing was a "bug."

I mean just read the testimonials:
>My team solves problems so much faster with Mic Drop. In fact, we stopped talking to each other entirely!

This was intentional, but now it's a bug because damage control.
>>
>>53809633
And what was the point of your post? You basically expanded upon what I said.
>>
>>53809581
>forgery
>within the law

It's very clear that the average person could not and did not understand what mic drop did. But what it actually did was change the content of their e-mail correspondence without their knowledge.

The legitimacy of a contract requires that all parties signed to it can understand it (or a legal guardian to a party). If this wasn't forgery, people wouldn't be upset, because their e-mails wouldn't have been forged.

But e-mails have been forged, people are upset, and google did fuck up.
>>
>>53809100
I bet moot has something to do with this. its to coincidental to not be.
>>
>>53809659
By that logic, typoes are forgery. Accidentally sticking an emoji in is forgery.
Sending an email to the wrong person is forgery.
Hitting Carbon Copy instead of Blind Carbon Copy is forgery.

Google fucked up in sticking a stupid button in, but your dumb ass clicking that button isn't forgery.
>>
>not using Google Inbox where none of this prankery shit even exists
Gmail is for children. Inbox is for professionals.
>>
>>53809239
Romania has like the highest average net speed in EU (or the second highest after Netherlands, I forgot)
Romania is a sirius biznis

(and then there's Alexandrescu)
>>
>>53809659

You can keep screaming 'forgery!!!' all day, but the reality is, this is not forgery. The user themselves must press the button. I'll say it again, the users themselves, not google, must press the button.It's a shitty prank, but it's not forgery. And this is my last reply to you, I must be getting trolled.
>>
>>53809649
Not every reply is a confrontation, anon.
>>
>>53806848
kek'd. that is amazing.
>>
>>53809633
>We pressed Google on the “bug,” and a spokesperson explained “in a very few cases” the MicDrop feature could appear in future emails even if the user hadn’t specifically pressed the button.

They're calling the retarded users who don't know what they're doing a "bug".
>>
>>53809100
+1
>>
>>53809675
>>53809100
He's fighting the good fight, from the inside.
>>
If dubs, moot did it.
>>
>>53809100
our man behind the enemy lines
>>
>>53809811
confirmed
>>
>>53809151
Hi Jacquelyn,

Is that picture safe for work? Think before you post.

Regards,
>>
>>53809100
MOOOOT
>>
File: moot_1.jpg (355 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
moot_1.jpg
355 KB, 1920x1080
>>53809811
>>
>>53809811
Fucking moot
>>
>>53809709
>comparing inserting meaningful content into an e-mail without the user's knowledge or consent with the user accidentally clicking bold or italics buttons and changing the format of his text

You can see the message you are going to send no matter what button you press, before you send it, except if you hit mic drop which changes the message and also pretends its you that intentionally placed the gif there.
All of the counter examples you gave appear dynamically as you do them, visible to you before you hit send.

This would be like if you bought a printer and you used print preview, but the printer drew a random and offensive image on top of whatever you were printing without your knowledge or consent and without it appearing on print preview.

I never clicked the button.

>>53809722
>press the button
It's still forgery because they are unaware of what the button does, specifically since its effects do not appear until after the message is sent, wherein new offensive content the user was unaware of is added to his message.

Google lies about what the button does in its descriptor page, convincing people to click it under false pretense, and then commits forgery when they do.
>>
>>53809811
yooooooooooooooooooo
>>
File: AlxSqBk.jpg (129 KB, 749x819) Image search: [Google]
AlxSqBk.jpg
129 KB, 749x819
>>53809100
>>
>53806708
stfu Ana u dumb bitch
>>
>>53807419
almost every small business
>>
>>53809844
>This would be like if you bought a printer and you used print preview, but the printer drew a random and offensive image on top of whatever you were printing without your knowledge or consent and without it appearing on print preview.

Except you're not using "print review", you're using "print random offensive image", a button which is clearly labelled as such and there is also a notice saying "check out our new Print Random Offensive Image button!" posted on the machine.
>>
>>53809133

>all your data belongs to gmail regardless of using gmail or not
Good luck reading it from the cyphertext!

>gmail is the best email provider besides yourself
You misspelled ProtonMail.
>>
>>53809938
Except Mic Drop wasn't clearly advertised like that. It's called "mic drop" and what it does is add gifs to your e-mail without your knowledge.

I'm not sure where you're hallucinating the idea that google was straightforward about it, rather than intentionally trying to mislead people into using it to be "pranked."

This is all g-mail said about the feature:
>Today, Gmail is making it easier to have the last word on any email with Mic Drop. Simply reply to any email using the new 'Send + Mic Drop' button. Everyone will get your message, but that's the last you'll ever hear about it. Yes, even if folks try to respond, you won't see it.

They lie about what it does. It's forgery.
>>
>>53810008
That's not a lie and this isn't forgery.

If it's really forgery, go ahead and call the cops.
I'll wait.
>>
FUCKING MINIONS
I HATE THEM
>>
>>53810008
>. Everyone will get your message, but that's the last you'll ever hear about it. Yes, even if folks try to respond, you won't see it.

If it really did that. Blocking emails from getting through to you. That's going overboard.
>>
>>53810042
>call the cops on google
You're also delusional with the belief that you could simply "call the cops" on google and have them arrested. Not surprised.
>>
>>53806708
yeah I read HN
>>
>>53810048
>forge your e-mail to offend recipient and then block the recipient from responding so you never know.

Yeah.
>>
can this for the love of fucking God put an end to minions once and for all?

They are fucking cancer, and now they are fucking people's emails up because autists at Google think they are appropriate enough to include in an email client.
>>
>>53810064
Do I really need to explain to you that there is a legal process to follow when reporting forgery and that "call the cops" is merely shorthand

Probably but you wouldn't understand anyway.
>>
They didn't play the prank on apps for business accounts

The retard is using a non-business gmail account to do business, what a dumb asshole
>>
Don't forget that it also stops you from receiving any replies to the email.
>>
ITT: google shills v.s. the hero /g/ hasn't deserved for the past 9 years.
>>
>>53810097
>backtracking this hard
>>
>>53806993
>tfw I use hotmail since 2003 and have had 0 problems with it

Never liked gmail and its inability to have the mail list on the left and the whole mail on the right, which is everyday life for me
>>
>click this button under false pretenses so it can change the content of your e-mail message without your knowledge and then block the recipient from responding to you.
>google did nothing wrong
>>
>>53809811
That's all proof I need.
>>
>>53809811
witnessed
>>
>>53809770
Pressing the button with nothing in the recipients field added the gif but didn't send it, such that pressing the normal Send button after adding a recipient also sent the gif. This probably wasn't intended behaviour.
>>
> retarded jew looking for excuse to sue someone for """ damages """

not surprised
>>
>>53810229
Both google and microsoft sell mail info. Google has always done that as far as I'm aware, microsoft only on newer accounts (2008 or so and later). But overall, microsoft accounts are a lot better. Whereas people are magically constantly trying to login into my never-used gmail account from taiwan and china, my hotmail account never had any problem. I've also never received spam on my hotmail account, unlike my gmail account.

Hell, recently I made a new gmail account. Didn't use it in any way anywhere because one hour after its creation I was already receiving spam (in spanish, no less), and it continued daily at a rate of 2-3 emails a day.
>>
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
>>53807484

... people unironically still use sendmail?
>>
>>53809100
This
>>
>not having your own mail server as a business
>normies bitching about shitty minon gifs while they are the same types of retards who post that trash all over the internet
Google gave them what was deserved
>>
>>53808605
>>53808141
How about Google does whatever they want since you agreed to their licensing terms/privacy policies?
>>
>>53809659
>the legitimacy of a contact requires that all parties signed to it can understand it
That's clearly not true, seeing as most people blindly sign most contracts and accept most EULAs
>>
>>53809620
It's not just people running a buisness, it's everyday fucks emailing their bosses or applying for interviews.
>>
>Any email sent with "Mic Drop" is immediately and IRREVERSIBLY muted. Replies skip the inbox, with no way to unmute.
kek
>>
>>53811703
>Not checking carefully for mistakes before sending a resume
>Business has no mail server
>Using a PERSONAL EMAIL for work
Again their fault
>>
>>53806708
If any place would fire you over something so trivial, you shouldn't be working there in the first place
>>
>>53810047
Fun Fact: Minions caused Columbine.
>>
>>53810751
>>53806708

>le unironically
>>
>>53810370
I've used the same Gmail for 6 years, and I only get one spammail a week.
>>
>>53810105
I think its reasonable to expect a serious email provider not to play childish pranks on you and behave in a professional way.
>>
>>53811867
Shut up, Anita
>>
I wish for the day to come where google ceases to exist, perishes as if it was a big evil being defeated without the rest of the world noticing by some random chinese cartoon hero.

Just imagine that. We'd have another good set of companies to take down, but it would be a good chunk, like amputating both arms from the internet.
>>
>>53806848
lel
>>
File: Capture.png (42 KB, 316x158) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
42 KB, 316x158
>>53807089
^This desu senpai

Retards are supposed to lose their jobs and hand them over to younger and superior people. Too many inferior old farts keeping the jobs from the young.
>>
>>53809339
Because the gmail TOS says "We may at times just add random shit to your email body such that the recipient will think you put it there."

Agreeing with the TOS doesn't mean google can do absolutely anything and everything.
>>
>>53809100
He either did this or some dumb woman came with the idea
>>
>>53806891

gl, their terms and conditions probably disclaim every possible potential liability on their part.
>>
>>53808082
Supposedly the feature was only up for like 40 minutes after midnight before Goggle realized they "fucked up' and took it down. That could be why they're all early reports?
>>
>>53806848
I'm dying of laughter over here. Good job Google.
>>
>>53806848
holy shit kek
>>
File: mic-drop-gif.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
mic-drop-gif.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>53806848
Here's the gif if anybody wants to see it. Kek
>>
>>53812007
>minions
it had to be a woman, or a fag (so possible luggage lad)
>>
>>53806708
Still better than the this blinding new look m8
>>
>>53811764

B-but that's victim-blaming, anon.
>>
>>53810047
Norma! I love your instatweet post! <3<#(heart)
>>
>>53808141
>>53811578
Gmail is a non-free software. Google can do whatever they like.
>>
>>53807419
are you fucking mental? you fit the '/g/ has never had a real job in their life' stereotype to a fucking t
>>
>>53812321
Fuck Minions.
>>
>>53812321
>memeions
Fucking jewgle
>>
It was evidently taken down so quickly, did anyone see the feature with their own eyes? I can't help but think that THIS is the prank itself and the idiot press is buying in. A minion bringing Google down.
>>
>>53806993
>Pretty much everyone uses gmail for business
Have you ever worked anywhere? Everyone uses Exchange. The only businesses that use Gmail are small local businesses and Google themselves.
>>
>>53809832
Hello Ignacio,

I'd prefer if you'd call me Ms. Griffith please.

Yours,
>>
>>53812678
I saw it yesterday when forwarding some emails. You can avoid that by just not pressing orange button.
>>
>trusting google with any information of remote importance
>>
>>53806708
LOL IT'S JUST A PRANK BRO CHILL UP
BTW you are fired
>>
Crazy
>>
>>53810064
Boy, you sure don't know what sarcasm is. Pajeet confirmed.
>>
>>53810252
First thing I saw when I logged onto gmail was a popup telling me exactly what mic drop was. Whoever is too much of a fucking neanderthal to understand that deserves to have their shit wrecked. Hell the button even said Send + Mic Drop and it was bright yellow. Google literally did nothing except prove how stupid the general public is.
>>
yahoo mail master race mayne
>>
>>53814408
>yahoo mail
each time I run a virus scan, the only infected areas are yahoo spam mail folders.

worst mail ever. dont use for anything important
>>
>>53809488
>type in a bunch of retarded shit and hit send
>oh wait I didn't know what I was doing
>damn it, jewgle!
Fuck off, kid.
>>
>>53806708
>here's how easy it is to send
>JUST GET THIS GIANT WINDOW OUT OF THE WAY AND CLICK THE OMINOUS PURPLE BUTTON
Retards that either don't fucking notice that shit or don't use a fucking business account for their business deserve whatever comes to them.
>>
File: 1426260424573.gif (995 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1426260424573.gif
995 KB, 500x500
>>53806708
>somebody lost his job over this
for once google did something right.
>>
>>53814734
=ω=
>>
>>53806848
>>53812309
>>53812268
>>53811903
>>53809757
>>53806891

I'm sorry guys
>Designer Andy Baio mocked up a worst-case scenario for the feature, in which funeral proceedings planned over email were interrupted by the gif, but real people have already arrived in Google's help forums, claiming the feature has ruined their lives.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/1/11344044/google-gmail-mic-drop-button-april-fool
>>
>>53809714
Jesus Christ, lighten up Erin :)
>>
File: ncis-gibbs-mark-harmon.jpg (218 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ncis-gibbs-mark-harmon.jpg
218 KB, 1024x768
>>53812725
>Mcgee
Get back to work, Elflord.
>>
File: 1426260473357.gif (383 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1426260473357.gif
383 KB, 480x270
>>53814772
>>
>>53814837
>send email with April Fools gif in it
>liek omg my life is ogre
Fucking "intellectuals."
>>
>>53806848
why would something like this even be sent over email?
>>
>>53809620
What if someone works freelance?
>>
>>53809100
It makes so much sense.
>>
>>53806848
SUE GOOGLE
NOW
>>
>>53814324
>blah blah blah it wasn't ME everyone else is stupid yadda yadda they deserve it for being dumber than ME blah blah
>>
(You)
>>
File: lWgJ4NI.gif (206 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
lWgJ4NI.gif
206 KB, 500x498
>>53811578
Nigga...
>>
File: minions.jpg (637 KB, 2014x2048) Image search: [Google]
minions.jpg
637 KB, 2014x2048
Minions are taking over :(
>>
>>53809100
lel
>>
>>53809100
It makes perfectly sense now.
>>
File: suzaku laugh.gif (195 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
suzaku laugh.gif
195 KB, 640x360
>>53809100
He's fighting for our own good from the inside.
>>
>>53809811
+1
>>
>>53808141
How about sign your emails with PGP? Literally ANYONE can change your email while it's traveling through the Internet.
>>
>>53811867
I think its reasonable to expect a free email service to not be serious.
>>
>>53806708
wait, people use the webmail thing?

kek.

plebs deserve it.
>>
>>53807419

The entire college system I work for uses Exchange. We have over 30,000 employees across 7 different campuses.
>>
File: small loan mouth 2.png (62 KB, 272x140) Image search: [Google]
small loan mouth 2.png
62 KB, 272x140
>>53809811
>>
>>53815505
But that's true.
>>
That's what you get for using Google's unproductive web interface instead of an actual mail client.
>>
only cucks are getting actually upset. it's literally their fault for being retards.

nobody can do anything about it. go ahead and try to sue google when you agreed to their terms and claim damages because of a minions gif you NIGGERS
Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.