[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so hard to find brick and mortar stores that sell PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: google.jpg (22 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
google.jpg
22 KB, 250x250
Why is it so hard to find brick and mortar stores that sell PC parts?

I've been looking for a reasonably priced hard drive for days now, but big chains like Best Buy and Office Max hike up the price by at least 50% and only carry name brands.
>>
What is Amazon
>>
>>53802403
you dont have a frys?
why dont you want to just buy online like everyone else?
>>
Most people who would be interested in buying computer parts prefer to do so online.
>>
>>53802403
It wasn't always this way, prior to 2005 it was worth your while to hunt out good stores and markets than buy online

The modern computer "enthusiasts" are just lazy NEET/NET/NEE faggots with no means of transportation so they bulk order a bunch of shit online and wait week(s) for things they need
>>
>>53802403
>only carry name brands.
What are you looking for?
>>
>>53802403
ones up the road from me, its where i got most of my parts. Its not a store people really need anymore so theyre less popular
>>
>>53802403
I feel you man. No Fry's or Microcenter within hundreds of miles.
>>
>>53802770
>weeks
takes like 3 days from most online stores
>>
>>53802403
stuff like the Mediamarkt over here sell a lot of nobrand computer parts
Like some chink 500 watt PSU for €20
>>
good thing there are 2 Fry's Electronics stores nearby.
>>
>>53802779
artisanal hand-built hard drives. the good shit, bro.
>>
>>53802403
There's this small shop run by two dudes about 2 miles away from me, they carry everything under the sun. I lol'd when I saw a GTX 460 still sitting in there.
They are cheap as fuck with everything and are pretty much my go-to if I need something immediately instead of waiting two days for something from Newegg.
The nearest Fry's and Microcenter are 50+ miles away, so fuck that.
>>
File: consider the following kirino.png (246 KB, 737x583) Image search: [Google]
consider the following kirino.png
246 KB, 737x583
>>53802403
PC parts are basically ideally made for online retail. They're small, so shipping costs aren't prohibitive. They're fairly high-value, which means that dodging sales taxes is a big advantage. (Protip: Buy from third-party sellers on Amazon, not Amazon itself) They don't age well, which means that keeping inventory like you have to have in a bricks-and-mortar store is a disadvantage, better to keep them in the warehouse instead of having to make sure each store has enough stock. And its a fairly small percentage of consumers that work on their own PCs, which means that your customers are likely going to be fairly spread out; a disadvantage for a store with a physical location. Most of those customers are fairly savvy about what they're buying, so don't need or want sales staff that they can ask questions to, or to examine merchandise in person.

Best Buy and the like have such big markups because those are small-volume items for them. Only the people that don't know better or need something immediately go there, so they figure they can get away with charging more to make money on the few sales of those things they'll make.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.