[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: 1458936567481.webm (3 MB, 684x385) Image search: [Google]
1458936567481.webm
3 MB, 684x385
This thread was created to prevent anons from spamming new threads, for technology questions they have.
If you are that person, post your simple/small/stupid questions here

Don't bump. This is a slow board, and will continue to be. Wait for an answer or google it.

If you see other anons posting questions outside this thread, ignore or redirect them here
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
If you had your own proxy servers, or even if you didn't, is it possible to put viruses/worms/encryptions/whatever between them so that when someone suspects something's fishy and tries to go through them to reach you to identify you and find out where you are gets meeted by them (the viruses, encryptions, etc.)??
>>
Is there a 3rd party app for remote desktop-ping Win 10 home edition from an android device? When I Google I just get results of people complaining that remote desktop is removed from home edition.
>>
>>53802235
> viruses
> encryptions
They can be also meet by hackers, spams, cookies, etc.
>>
960 4GB or 380 4GB
>>
>>53802157
Does a 1080p 144 hertz monitor stress the graphics card more than a 60 hertz monitor?
>>
How does screen real estate work?
Do I get more if the screen is bigger at the same resolution or does it only depend on the resolution?
>>
>>53802314
Unless you're using vsync or have a capped framerate then no. Usually your GPU is rendering as many frame as it can regardless of your refresh rate.
>>
File: japanese.png (112 KB, 1870x226) Image search: [Google]
japanese.png
112 KB, 1870x226
>>53802157
why are there these japanese characters next to some of the posts on 4chan
>>
>>53802334
Resolution is more important, but size and distance is a factor in how well you can utilize the resolution
>>
How can I improve my code?

bool isItAPrimeNumberOrNot(int whatAmIPrimeOrNot, int checkWithThisNUmber){//checks with number named check with this number

if(checkWithThisNUmber<=whatAmIPrimeOrNot){
if(whatAmIPrimeOrNot%checkWithThisNUmber!=0){
return isItAPrimeNumberOrNot(whatAmIPrimeOrNot, checkWithThisNUmber+1);
}

}
else{return true;}
}
>>
>>53802348
>>53797443
>>
Is there any specific reason ghostery blocks some website's built-in font rendering since a couple days now? I deactived it now anyways because it was severely screwing up yt for me and replaced it with a combination of privacybadger and ublock

Also i used the following filter list alongside the standard one:

Adblock Warning Removal List
Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek?
EasyList
Peter Lowe’s Ad server list?
EasyPrivacy?
Fanboy’s Enhanced Tracking List?
Malware Domain List?
Malware domains
Spam404
Anti-ThirdpartySocial
Fanboy’s Annoyance List
Fanboy’s Social Blocking List?
Dan Pollock’s hosts file?
hpHosts’s Ad and tracking servers
MVPS HOSTS

Am i good to go?
>>
>>53802510
upvoted
>>
>>53802536
>>53802536
Jeez fucking reddit fucking up the formatting completely, what a piece of shit website

Just ignore those question marks heh
>>
>>53802259
Found teamviewer, no longer need help.
>>
what exactally happened (besides the hacked iso) and why /g/ doesn't recommend linux mint anymore?
>>
im trying to run firefox within my home directory. i use the precompiled and tarballed releases you can get from their ftp. i run it and get "couldnt load xpcom". ive had this issue before, and its xulrunner not being installed or so. so i grab the precompiled xulrunner off their ftp as well that matches with the firefox version i downloaded. i figured i could set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the xulrunner directory while trying to run firefox. this doesnt work, but i didnt expect it to anyway. does anyone know what i could do without installing xulrunner systemwide? also keep in mind that i cant use the package manager as portage doesnt have xulrunner anymore, and again i dont want it systemwide. thanks.
>>
What was the program called that cancels the forced update of Win10? Have updated turned off, but don't want to get fucked in the ass if I ever want to update.
>>
Question.

What's the difference between a modular PSU and a regular PSU?

Need to swap the current one, and i could get a modular for the same price as the regular version.
>>
>>53803071
modular just means the cable detach from the PSU
>>
>>53803112
Alright.

Probably not the best place to ask, but i assume the CX600 is a decent PSU for the shekels?
>>
>>53802259
Chrome remote desktop is better than teamviewer
>>
>>53803071
It's way easier to assemble a PC with a fully modular PSU because you can arrange the cables however you want. non-modular or semi-modular can't hold a candle to ease of use.
>>
What's objectively the best Linux distro?

Also, what is the most used distro?

My Uni uses Fedora in the college labs, but people I spoke with uses Ubuntu.

Is there any performance difference between all of them or is there some with more features than the other?
>>
So i want to make a website, im getting a free domain from .tk but when im trying to register its asking for my DNS services thing. What am i supposed to do with this?
>>
>>53802157
>looks directly at the camera
>doesn't take it
How fucking stupid can you be?
>>
>>53803162
>What's objectively the best Linux distro?
Depends on your use case.

>Also, what is the most used distro?
Probably Ubuntu now.

>Is there any performance difference between all of them or is there some with more features than the other?
Too broad of a question, but short answer no.

>asking for my DNS services thing. What am i supposed to do with this?
Setup a DNS server / rent a DNS server and setup your zone. If this puzzles you then you need learn how DNS works first.

>>53803250
Doesn't matter, it's probably some south american country where the cops wouldn't give a fuck.
>>
>>53803171
You have to point your domain to an IP address that the website is hosted on. That's what DNS does.
>>
>>53803162
debian based distro (ubuntu and mint for example) are easier to learn and have a great community behind them. fedora is more for programmer or coder for what i know.

if i can recommend you a distro, it would be ubuntu gnome or linux mint.
>>
>>53803162
>objectively
arch
>most used
ubuntu
>is there any performance/feature difference
yes and no. Yes, there are major differences out of the box. however, you can customize a distro to behave like pretty much any other distro.
>>
>>53803280
Been trying to make he switch to linux, but been encountering some problems. I installed from a minimal debian installation image and now I face problems like short battery life and over heating...

Any advice?
>>
>>53803277
oh ok, so how do i host a website / set it up?
>>
>>53803346
what are the pc specs? if they are mid range, mint shoud go very well.
if they are so-so i recommend lubuntu (the lightest *buntu distro).
>>
>>53803383
I'm running debian with LXDE...
Still overheating.
And the laptop isn't bad. Has a i5-2467M, Radeon HD 7550M, 6 GB of ram.
>>
>>53803452
are you using some heavy programs? maybe try running a live ubuntu or mint and see if overheating is still there. maybe you can try fedora too.
>>
My laptop's HDD is failing, I checked and its still under Bestbuys warranty. I kinda want a new laptop, what do you think is the best way to meet that 80% damage that doesnt look intentional?
>>
File: Wanderer-Above-the-Sea-of-Fog.jpg (1 MB, 1568x2000) Image search: [Google]
Wanderer-Above-the-Sea-of-Fog.jpg
1 MB, 1568x2000
My girlfriend of 1½ years wants to see other people, but is willing to still be with me, if I don't mind her dating other guys. I would of course also get to be polyamorous.

If I could get myself to enjoy it, I think it could be a good solution. Thing is, my heart sunk when she told me that she had a tinder date lined up.

WAT DO
>>
>>53803504
Fuck that. Send it in to best buy anyway and tell them the HDD is dying in the first place. You're the reason why people who leave retail work are so jaded and mistrustful of the everyday customer.
>>
>>53803504
maybe fuck with one of the fans to make it fry. you could stick a match in one of the vents, or open it and wiggle a wire out (if that doesn't break warranty).

it might be key to seem like you have no idea what happened when you return it, possibly desperate about data loss.
>>
>>53803560
Do you think shorting it will work? Every component on will be dead after?
>>
>>53803544
Are you fucking stupid?
Let me guess you're american?
Dump her right now, you'll end up regretting it if you agree. It's basically her pass to fuck other guys while you take her out on dates and pay for shit.
>>
I need to use a windows pc for a few months. What backup software is recommended?
>>
>>53803579
This.
>>
>>53803544
Leave her, she was going on that date whether you agreed or not.
>>
>>53803544
You got
C U C K E D
U
C
K
E
D
>>
I have a PC here that had Windows Vista installed and upgraded to Windows 7.

I want to wipe its HDD, install a fresh Windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 10.
I got the Windows 7 key with some tool out of it.
Is this key also valid for a fresh install or do I need to install Vista first and then upgrade again?
>>
What programming books would you guys recommend? I am experienced in Python and C, and a small amount of C++. I'm going to learn Java too.

I was thinking about getting the C Language one by Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernigan, but it's £40 in most places I've looked.

I bought a few O'Reilly pocket references too, but is there any others which are considered essential reading?
>>
>>53803813
the dragon book
>>
>>53803833
Thanks, I'll check that out.
>>
File: cat5.jpg (69 KB, 695x779) Image search: [Google]
cat5.jpg
69 KB, 695x779
cat5 question

not a native english speaker, looking for correct terms in english

we have two kinda of category to choose from when it comes to ethernet cable and I dont mean shielded, or cat5 / cat6...

the terms we use are "kabel" vs "lanko" which translates kinda to

>wire/cable
hard to bend, behaves kinda like thick cable that holds bend and resists more and you would have hard time tighing a knot on it if you would for some reason want. its used most of the time.

>rope/string
easy to bend, aimed at interconencting devices for short distance, patch cables, behaves more like a shoelace than a cable, it can be knotted if for some reason you would want it as it resists less. its pain in the ass to put rj45 connector on it

also those two supposedly have different connectors, pic related
i want to google more on this two variants but without knowing the english term for the ropey one I cant..
>>
Through a series of flukes I managed to successfully install gentoo.
When trying to start xfce I get:
/usr/bin/startxfce4/; line118: exec: xinit: not found

how do I fix this?
>>
>>53803162
>What's objectively the best Linux distro?
desktop - Arch linux

>Also, what is the most used distro?
Ubuntu

>My Uni uses Fedora in the college labs, but people I spoke with uses Ubuntu.
ok

>Is there any performance difference between all of them
some, but rather tiny

>is there some with more features than the other?
yes
>>
>>53803800
You should be able to install Windows 10 fresh with that key, if it's a valid 7 one.
>>
>>53804102
solid vs stranded wire is what you're referring to I think
>>
>>53804117
Even better, thanks
>>
File: solid-stranded.jpg (15 KB, 600x292) Image search: [Google]
solid-stranded.jpg
15 KB, 600x292
>>53804121
well I worked with the ropey ones and I dont think they are several cables intertwined, it just felt like different kind
but will keep checking out
>>
>>53804105
by installing xinit
>>
can someone replicate this css and post it please?
>>
What are some good improvised weapons I can make with basic household shit? Shit is about to go down and I need something dangerous. I don't even have any knives, just a screwdriver.
>>
>>53804220
>can someone replicate this css and post it please?

and even better, custom CSS to get rid of this ugly assed shit and make 4chan look normal. goddamn, I can't take this crap all day.

what is it with nerd humor being so bad?
>>
It's a dumb question but how do I get ubuntu inside my Windows 7?
>>
>>53804243
file down the tip of the screwdriver
>>
>>53804309
yeah, but id really like this css so i can use it to post in rice threads lul
>>
>>53804316
Google for how to set up a virtual machine on Windows 7.
Use Windows Virtual PC for example
>>
How do I block
>https://s.4cdn.org/css/md2016.648.css
without adblock?
>>
>>53804243
Google for TM 31-210
>>
>>53804434
>w/o adblock
Install adblock, problem solved.
>>
>>53804342
>yeah, but id really like this css so i can use it to post in rice threads lul

how could you force CSS onto someone else's browser?
>>
>>53803583
bumpu pls
>>
>>53804481
this IS a stupid question thread m8, but i solved my own problem thanks.
>>
>>53804434
>>53804468

I have adblock. How exactly do I use it to block this awful CSS abomination?
>>
How do I filter this shit theme in ublock?
>>
>>53804516
>>53804533
Click on add new filter and enter:

https://s.4cdn.org/css/md2016.*.css
>>
>>53804567

thanks.
>>
>>53804567
cool.

so how do I do it in ublock? sticking that in my filters does nothing.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-01_14-27-46.png (84 KB, 1054x427) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-01_14-27-46.png
84 KB, 1054x427
What session manager should I use?
For some reason firefox sometimes don't save my tabs when I close it.
>>
I currently dual boot Debian and Windows 8.1 for some gayms. What should I do with W8?

a) Disable all updates.
b) Disable all updates, except the security ones.
c) Enable all updates, but remove the ones that are marked as spyware (e.g. in the /g/ wiki).

All previous options include using the Aegis script. Is this a wise move?

Please, tell me what should I do.

voat dot co/v/technology/comments/459263
>>
>>53804647
ublock dashboard, my filters, copy-pasta
Works on my machine faggot.
>>
Do programmers from other countries write the programs in their native language? E.g instead of "while" for a while loop a German developer would write "whilen" or whatever the German for while is. Is this a thing? Is there some kind of translation layer they use?
>>
>>53805168
lmao

no
>>
>>53805190
>He doesn't write his C code in a Swedish.
Look at him. Look at him and laugh.

>>53805168
But seriously, no. It'd be a huge clusterfuck.
>>
I need a new laptop which I'm only going to use for uni, maybe be able to run MATLAB. I have about $500 what do you guys recommend?
>>
How do I sell hardware as scrap and how much are things typically worth? I have a 2003 Toshiba Satellite that runs fine but doesn't have the required processing power to load a webpage smoothly and a square Dell LCD monitor that burnt out a capacitor that I can't be bothered to fix.
>>
>>53805304
Refurb thinkpad
Any new laptop for 500 will be shite
>>
>>53802157
Holy shit this is the great April Fools yet
>>
File: Windows-10-logo.jpg (42 KB, 645x484) Image search: [Google]
Windows-10-logo.jpg
42 KB, 645x484
Where in the fuck can I find an updated (February/March 2016) ISO of Windows 10 Enterprise? I can't find a good torrent anywhere.
>>
>>53802348
April Fools m8
>>
>>53805972
Because why the fuck would you trust some russkies to make an updated ISO when M$ itself can't figure out their shitty update system.
>>
I just woke my PC up from sleep and the GPU fans were at 100%

What could be the cause of this?
>>
>>53806345
Bitcoin miner.
>>
>>53806345
cancer
>>
>>53805972
An unauthorized copy of Windows is almost as bad as an authorized copy. Why would you even want it?
>>
>>53806381

It's idling at 300 mhz right now, and CPU usage is sitting at less than 25%
>>
File: 1453557925291.jpg (47 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1453557925291.jpg
47 KB, 499x499
>>53802377
by formatting
>>
What address do I have to type in the adblock filters to enable adds on 4chan? I've tried a bunch of different shit and I can only do it per board, not the whole thing.
>>
>>53806484
https://s.4cdn.org/css/md2016*
http://s.4cdn.org/css/md2016*
>>
>>53805972
no seas grosera Guadalupe
>>
>>53806497
I don't trust this.
>>
i never received any kind of notification or option to download windows 10. i have windows 7 right now. so i went to the microsoft site and downloaded the "get windows 10 free" thing and it told me i do not qualify because my wireless router does not meet specifications, or something to that effect. i don't have a wireless router (to my knowledge) because i don't have wireless internet. my desktop is actually connected with a wire to my cable line. i have no need for wireless, so my question is: does windows 10 actually require wireless to work? if so, why?
>>
Both mobo can overclock has the same number of pcie sluts and has pretty much same features but cheaper one has only one m.2. slut
Should i buy the cheaper mobo or the expensive one? i dont see my self buying m.2. ssd though.
>>
There's a server where I work and I want to know if I can have a Remote Desktop connection to it at my home.

How can I do that?
I guess it's something with an external IP

Thanks
>>
>>53806602
La más barata Manuel
>>
>>53806609
99% sure you'll need some sort of vpn, like Forticlient
>>
>>53806609
the easiest way is install teamviewer or any remote shit you prefer
the hard way is configure your router to port forward it with different port or
you get the local ip of your server and put in dmz in your router settings.
>>
>update AMD drivers
>get some social media shit for gaymers

Who the fuck wants or needs this?
Why the fuck does everything have to include social and sharing features?
Why can't they just leave people alone?
>>
>>53804316
>>53804408
I mean the new integrated command line everyone is hyped about
>>
I bought hyperlight drifter (on linux) through humble bundle store.
I heard the game got a huge update, bigger than the game itself. do I have to redownload the game? how do I know if the HB version (the one I can DL on their site) is up to date?
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-01+at+04.44.39).png (137 KB, 2442x1080) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-01+at+04.44.39).png
137 KB, 2442x1080
>>53802157
can someone tell me what happend to my oneechan?
>>
>>53807308

April fools happened.
>>
>>53807059
>Why the fuck does everything have to include social and sharing features?
Because you didn't disable it during install. Must be hard to read the text next to the checkbox.
>>
I'm doing a license audit for Microsoft.

Like 10 of our Win 7 Pro PCs were purchased about a year before I took over IT. Turns out all 10 have the same Product Key. That's not OK, right?

How effed are we?
>>
>>53807308
Onze nieuwe splitoogkeizer heeft onze favoriete site nagemakt als of het een killer app was. Prachtig vind ik het.
>>
>>53805694
What exactly is this? Sorry, I'm not very tech savvy.

Thanks in advance
>>
>>53802157
Is there any way I can contribute to projects like Debian without being a decent programmer?
>>
>>53807558
used but fixed and sold by some company

Check walmart's website
>>
Anyone know how to install the Iridium browser on Linux Mint? Their Ubuntu PPA doesn't seem to work for Linux Mint; there's even an issue about it on their Github page and I really don't feel like using a 6 month old version. Any help would be great. Thank you.
>>
whats up with the 4chan design right now?
is this the april fools joke? why is no one talking about it? its actually pretty hilarious
>>
>>53807698
nice tweet Lillie
>>
>>53807755
>>53807698
finally the recaptcha doesnt feel out of place
I am a google fuckboy and Im proud of it
>>
>>53802235
Look into honeypots, they are a distraction from the target the Hacker is trying to infiltrate, maybe you can put a virus in there but I doubt it
>>
>>53802285
380 or one of the cheaper 380x
>>
File: phonograph.png (49 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
phonograph.png
49 KB, 300x300
I was resistant at first, but I now see the goodness in Phonograph. I prefered BlackPlayer EX before.

Is Phonograph open-source?
Is there an RSS feed for developments?
What kind of features will be implemented in the future?
>>
How much would you sell a used GTX760 for?
Never overclocked running mint.
>>
What the fuck happened to appchanx and why does it looks like shit today?
>>
Recently my games been minimising themselves and not responding, they don't full on crash as the audio continues but I need to kill the process in task manager every time, even with borderless full screen. Only difference lately is that I updated my video drivers. What should I do?
>>
Alright so I have my main keyboard plugged into a usb hub (which my mouse is also plugged into and is working fine) attached to a 15' cable leading into my pc. The keyboard is still lit up and all the media keys are functioning, but none of the others are. I've tried plugging it straight into the front of my pc and the same problem persisted.

Is it time for a new keyboard?
>>
>>53802157
>>53802157

Morning /g/ I have a questions;
I bought a xps 15 with 4k+touchscreen

Is this a bad idea to get the 4k and will it destroy battery life?
>>
I am graduating soon and I would like to download as many Springer books as possible. Is it illegal to use a script to download all the books if I have access to it? I'd like to automate the process of clicking on links, downloading the book right clicking and pressing 'save link as'. do you guys have experience with mechanize in python?
>>
I read everywhere that 6600k comes without cooler and fan in the box, but guy in the store told me it does, that he even build a computer with it recently.

Who do I trust.
>>
>>53808211
Alright it just deiced to magically start working again.
>>
So i was messing around with arch for the first time in virtual machine, I uninstalled some packages along with all dependencies and now when I want to use pacman I get an error that pacman was not found.

What i did just before pacman stopped working was:
pacman -Rs gvim ark

Any ideas on how to fix it?
>>
>>53808351
ask to see the box, it will be obvious
>>
I have a RasPi working as a WiFi access point with IP forwarding on and some iptables rules to bridge traffic inbetween 2 different wifi interfaces.

At some point I had DHCP running on it, but now I don't; neither udhcpd or DNSmasq services are running.

The thing is, even without DHCP, I can still connect to it without it being connected to a router.

Does this mean I can just install hostapd and set up IP forwarding and network bridging to connect to it, without ever having to configure DHCP? Or is there something running in the background I'm not aware of?
>>
How is Samshit's 256GB 850 PRO ssd?
>>
So I'm a cheap asshole who found his computer in the electronics dumpster at my grandmothers apartment complex. i3 2120, 4 GB ram and a neat case, works fine with an SSD, but I can really feel that 4 GB is a limit for my way of using the system. I could go and buy 4 GB of DDR3 for ~$29 here in Sweden, but I recently found a lot of new RAM shipped by MAO from China for just ~$10. Would I be completely retarded to buy "new" RAM from China?
>>
Is Cisco certification any relevant?
And, what's going on with the new website model here?
>>
>>53809512
Yeah what the fuck I want the old shit back.
t. Archie Colon
>>
>>53809550
Wait... There's also names instead of the default anon...
Is this some kind of "Google rules now" or are we, finally, under the botnet?
>>
File: Screenshot (8449).png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (8449).png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Hi can anyone explain why my Graphical unit shows up as a 7900 series when its actually a 7970?
>>
>>53809568
It says "There is no anon." below the top banner, hopefully temporary like Roody Poo and Candy Ass.
>>
File: 1459287138653.jpg (14 KB, 238x192) Image search: [Google]
1459287138653.jpg
14 KB, 238x192
i'm having a real hard time deciding on a pc. logical increments hasn't been updated to account for not being able to OC non-K skylakes anymore so i can't use that list as a guide. i would like a well-rounded gaming PC for under a grand. i would like go with a skylake setup for future-proofing, but the 6100 is too slow, the 6700 is too expensive, and the 6500 doesn't seem like a good value.
>>
>>53809589
A 7970 is part of the 7900 series.

Are you dense?
>>
whats up with the 4chan layout? is this an april fools joke? why cant i find anyone talking about this ??
>>
File: G615L8n.jpg (41 KB, 750x616) Image search: [Google]
G615L8n.jpg
41 KB, 750x616
>updating Windows for the first time on new HDD on laptop
>20 hours in
>decide to take a shit in the bathroom in the next room
>hear my laptop make noise, as if it's restarting or smth
>CD-ROM drive ejects as I'm 10 or so minutes into taking a shit in another room

why? why did this happen

this is not the first time this happened, neither is it the first time it's happened on this HDD, but thia is the first time I've been able to confirm it happens without any user input.
>>
Is there a way to make updates for apps install on an SD card on my android phone? I have tried moving the apps to the SD card and also set the SD card as the default write disk but the updates still seem to install on the phone's internal storage.
>>
So what's really the best movie player according to /g/? VLC gives me the green line at the bottom with mkv's and media player classic makes my gpu driver go nuts..
>>
>>53808908
run "ls /bin|grep pacman"

if pacman does not show in the output of this command i guess you'll have to use the live CD to reinstall it.
>>
>>53810090
> use mplayer

Seriously, MPC-HC sould be fine if you install and configure the codecs properly
>>
>>53810090

well I have no idea about that other pkayer that has constant generals going for it, but stock MPC-HC isn't that great, imo. my PC wasonly able to play 1080p videos flawlessly once switching from stock MPC-HC to KPC (Kawaii Codec Pack).

perhaps since kawaii codec pack optimizes video playback, it will optimize resource usage as well. but for that matter, there is a setting in MPC-HC to use the gpu exclusively for video playback when watching in full-screen if thst would help, any.
>>
>>53810145
>>53810149
Thanks guys, I'm a total noob when it comes to codecs and stuff. Had MPC installed with k-lite pack, reinstalled MPC standalone and it seems to be working fine now.
>>
>>53802157
how do i get the anti-glare coating off a monitor without destroying it?
>>
What are the best free VPN and file encrytion services to use?
>>
What does /g/ suggest as a scripting language for running and managing database version control/maintenance scripts? I'll be managing a postgres DB on a virtual RHEL server for a manufacturing company. Front end uses a web interface, middle end uses java and JDBC.

My first thought was bash, but I'm wondering if python/perl/ruby would be worth learning and using. Perl especially seems nice for its text processing, but I've heard its not very readable.
>>
>>53809853
yeah im curious as to why it doesnt specify 7970 instead. Even on the side of the card the cooler just says 7900 series. For all i know it could be a 7950 or something. Is their no way to check?
>>
HOW DO I TURN OFF THIS SHIT MY 4CHAN LOOKS LIKE OSX
>>
>>53810276
Read the fucking thread.
>>
Best software to use to get rid of adware?

I was initially annoyed at the new layout of 4chan, but I got over it when I realized that the annoying random pieces of text being turned into hyper links weren't actually part of the joke. I'm normally very careful when it comes to downloading stupid shit so I've never actually had to deal with adware specifically, I've got my anti-virus performing a full system scan but seeing as it's going to be at least a couple of hours until that's finished I'm not sure what to do in the mean time.

Yes I've googled it, but most of the websites seem fishy and I'd rather not take any chances.
>>
>>53810316

mbam

(malwarebytes)
>>
I had a HDD which triggered some kind of error upon booting (In the bios post screen) It then, wouldn't let my physically interact with it - it would disconnect from my PC in 30 seconds. Then, It asked me to perform some windows scan and repair swizzle, which made it useable. My question is, is this drive still useable or should I just trash it? I checked it and it has 5 bad sectors.
>>
How would you determine what the hash value of a specific website is?
>>
File: 1457193475556.jpg (165 KB, 579x636) Image search: [Google]
1457193475556.jpg
165 KB, 579x636
Is there a way to spot samefagging besides the time?
>>
>>53809886
yes

can you believe you're the very first person in this thread to ask this?

Oh wait, 78 others did too.

Shit.

also, nice facebook meme faggot
>>
>>53810549

I was once told in like 2010 that a method was to attempt to report two posts. you supposedly couldn't report the other, as you'd have already reported that IP address once.

well, I couldn't be arsed to even try that shit until 2013 when I was arguing with someone and like four or five+ people were shitposting replying to me/ shitposting about me without even quoting me, and it was disgusting. so I tried reporting the one dude who was actually semi-attempting to leave argument replies for me, but I successfully reported two of his posts, so I just gave up n never tried again. I can't even confirm if this supposed trick to detect samefags has ever worked
>>
>>53810603
>also, nice facebook meme faggot

not him but what is the facebook meme he used?
>>
>>53810383
>5 bad sectors.

Into the trash.
>>
can a fuzzy picture be caused by anything other than a failing gpu
it's a digital video connection so I'd assume it's not a connection error, but I checked that shit anyways
>>
>>53810646

I can't help you, but will you define for me this "fuzzy picture" you speak of, please?

where is this "fuzzy picture"? is it just the one that is fuzzy?
>>
File: girl 169x.jpg (40 KB, 600x712) Image search: [Google]
girl 169x.jpg
40 KB, 600x712
>>53810617
>will never know if a thread is being samefagged.

Oh well. Thanks though
>>
are there any media player in with I can add a video library and filter videos by tags?. I also need the feature to change tags. Its for porn organization purposes.
>>
>>53810686
If the image of a thread is always the same you can search the filename in the archive
>>
What happened why does this site now look like reddit
>>
>>53810879
nevermind april fool's

I hope
>>
I like trains
>>
>>53810953
shut up cara
>>
How do I overcome my consumerism and not buy a Mac over a thinkpad? I'm basicAlly torn between spending like $200 on a pissy little think pad t420 that will realistically do anything I'd want to do on a laptop, and spending ~$2600 on a refurbed mbp 15" with all the bells and whistles and being able to handle anything I COULD want to do, and do so for well into the future
>>
I want to have a windows 7 partition for tf2, but I don't want to enable updates because microcode. It should be ok if I just install windows, drivers, and steam and only use it for that right?
>>
Is there a better tool for 4chan webms than https://github.com/Cephel/4chan-webm-maker?
maybe one with sound for /gif/ and the possibility to take multiple parts of a video rather than just one clip cut out of the whole?
>>
how to save the current 4chan style and use it later?
>>
>>53810267
Check your clockspeeds, then what a 7970 and 7950 should have and draw a conclusion. Cheerio m8
>>
Whenever I ssh into my Ubuntu cloud server or make a new window with Tmux, all I get for my prompt is the dollar sign, as in pic related.

If I type "exec bash" I get all of my aliases and whatever else is in my bashrc, but not until I type "exec bash"

Is there a way to set up my server so that windows automatically run "exec bash" on creation? None of my other Linux computers have had this problem before.
>>
>>53811160
google 'webm for retards'
>>
>>53811283
Is bash your default shell? Try "echo $SHELL" when you first log in
>>
Is there a userscript to strip a specific string from every url containing it?
>>
WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO 4CHAN
>>
>>53811512
Scrubs like you
>>
>>53811090
Why the fuck would you need to do that. Just disable auto updates in steam for that game.
>>
>>53811512
April fools!

Block this url
https://s.4cdn.org/css/md2016.*.css

And add this as a userscript
// ==UserScript==
// @name tomorrow
// @namespace wha
// @include https://boards.4chan.org/*
// @version 1
// @grant none
// ==/UserScript==

//https://s.4cdn.org/css/tomorrow.css

function addStyle(style) {
var head = document.getElementsByTagName("HEAD")[0];
var ele = head.appendChild(window.document.createElement( 'style' ));
ele.innerHTML = style;
return ele;
}

addStyle('@import "https://s.4cdn.org/css/tomorrow.css"');
>>
>>53811512
Moot sold us to google.

Just block md2016.css with ublock origin.
>>
File: 1327248964608.png (13 KB, 438x499) Image search: [Google]
1327248964608.png
13 KB, 438x499
My desktop makes this weird sound, it's kinda like a very low pitched hissing noise. I can't figure out where it's coming from. The sound lasts about a second, and it's pretty much perpetually going off as long as the computer is turned on. Any ideas?
>>
How can I save this new theme for future use? It's kind of nice desu
>>
File: gggiill.png (105 KB, 780x857) Image search: [Google]
gggiill.png
105 KB, 780x857
anything wrong with this build?

(i already have a 1tb hdd so it's not on the list)
>>
do system updates and security updates happen independently of each other?

i got my nexus 6p a few weeks ago but it's stuck on the jan 1,2016 security update, and a january system update too

i tried adb sideloading but it wouldn't recognize my phone once i got to the final step(it did before that step tho)

should i just wait and i'll eventually get all the updates in order? i called google and they gave me some bullshit about it being normal and taking months. i didn't get a nexus for it to take months when others with 6p's have the current updates without having to sideload or flash
>>
File: 1457563605520.jpg (35 KB, 259x400) Image search: [Google]
1457563605520.jpg
35 KB, 259x400
Is systemd spyware. If so, how do we know?
>>
>>53810241
>vpn
>free
They have to make a profit to run those servers, so if you're not paying with cash then you're paying through them monitoring you. There are plenty of free file encryption services. It's not in active development anymore, but I use truecrypt
>>
>>53811661
Change the SSD for a 850 EVO 250GB.
Why? SV300 is a really shit SSD, really slow, and really unreliable, will last you less than one year.

Change your motherboard for a GA-Z170XP-SLI, you are getting a K processor, you need a Z170.
Get another PSU, a EVGA 750 G2 for example.
Not sure if your HSF is good, but check the price of the NH-U12S.
>>
>>53811716
>They have to make a profit to run those servers, so if you're not paying with cash then you're paying through them monitoring you.

what's preventing a non-free vpn from monitoring you too?
>>
File: 1428692431091.png (217 KB, 680x583) Image search: [Google]
1428692431091.png
217 KB, 680x583
What filesystem to use for a SSD (Crucial MX200)? I hear conflicting opinions that ext4 is cancer, that ext4 is better than ext3, some swear by btrfs... I definitely need journaling however, because of power outages. Also how worrisome is the trim bug for Crucial drives, or have I been living under a rock and it's all patched now?
>>
>>53811756
Well they have less incentive to do so since you've already paid them.
>>
>>53811661
I'm just +1 your other reply.
Get a Samsung 850. The rest of the build is smooth sailing.
Although, I don't really agree with the motherboard. Spend a bit more.
>>
>>53811741
will do, thanks.
>>
>>53811789
Post your build when you are done to check prices and to check if you can get something better for the same price or cheaper.
>>
>>53811781
>>53811741
>>53811803
store i'm buying from doesn't have the 850, how is the 240gb hyperx fury?
>>
>>53811973
Check other stores? it is a really good SSD that will last you a while so its worth searching for it or spending some bucks more.

You can try Sandisk Ultra II but its not as good but still a really good SSD if you cant find it.
>>
>>53811643
I'm also wondering this. With a bit of tweaking it could be pretty damn sweet.
>>
>>53811773

that means nothing
>>
>>53812001
>>53811973
Other options:
Crucial BX100 (Not BX200)
Samsung 850 Pro

Avoid all Kingston, OCZ and specially PNY SSDs.
>>
>>53812027
Untrue
>>
>>53810235
try alcohol
>>
File: 0022.png (106 KB, 778x889) Image search: [Google]
0022.png
106 KB, 778x889
>>53811803
>>53811781
>>53812001
good now?
i want to get everything from this store because i have a 15% discount, so i'll go for the ultra II.
>>
>>53812079
Check for the next PSUs:

EVGA G2 750W
EVGA GS 650W
EVGA G1 650W

You dont need 830W, your build is around 600W Max, unless you are going to add another R9 390X.
>>
>>53812079
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkrfG7x2YZc
@4:20
>>
>>53812079
where's your HDD Lynda
>>
>>53812157
He already said he has one here:
>>53811661
>>
>>53812168
1TB a shit

2 is minimum these days
>>
>>53812185
1TB is most reliable.

Unless you store shit, porn and ETC, 1TB is more than enough.
>>
File: 112233.png (116 KB, 778x866) Image search: [Google]
112233.png
116 KB, 778x866
>>53812185
don't need 2tb. if i do i have a second 2tb hdd.
>>53812148
no bully
>>53812138
they don't have and evga psu's for some reason. check pic related.
>>
>>53812079
>Change case to
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Fractal-Define-S-Midi-Tower-ohne-Netzteil-schwarz_1002076.html
>Change GPU to
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8192MB-Sapphire-Radeon-R9-390-Nitro-inkl--Backplate-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--_1012937.html
>Change PSU to
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/700-Watt-be-quiet--Straight-Power-10-CM-Modular-80--Gold_976851.html

The PSU is the last part where you should try to save money.
>>
>>53811689

p-please h-help lads
>>
>>53811704
RMS will tell us.
>>
>>53812274
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYWubHwt_Fc
>>
>>53812280
this
>>
File: 9999.png (118 KB, 779x865) Image search: [Google]
9999.png
118 KB, 779x865
>>53812280
>>53812354
can't afford all this, 1000€ is my limit.
i'll take your advice on the psu tho.
>>
why is my mobo only getting 100mbps instead of gigabit
it's definitely a gigabit port (the fucking thing has a sticker on it that says "intel gigabit") and I just installed the drivers from the website and it's still 100mbps
>>
>second time installing mobo
>been a couple years
as long as I keep myself ground nothing bad can happen to it unless I drop it or some shit yes?
>>
>>53812501
just don't forget to put the standoffs in first
>>
>>53812430
actually let me re-phrase the question: why is this gigabit switch not gigabit
>>
>>53812516
I already put them in there, when I am lining it up is it okay to set it ontop of them as close as I can and lightly slide to get them aligned?
>>
>>53812430
you might be using a ancient sata cable?
>>
I need to scrap some data that is essentially a many to many table, and I'm looking for the most efficient way to do so.

To simplify the problem, lets say it's a many to many table between on/off switches and a page.
It takes 1 web request to turn the switch on or off, or 1 web request can them all off at once.
Each page is connected to a number of switches. It will report how many switches that it is connected to are "on".

I have 300 switches, and 100 pages to check.
An obvious (and inefficient) way to do this is to turn each switch on one at a time and check all 100 pages.
This will take 300 "on" requests + 299 "off" requests + 300*100 "page" request. The web server takes approximately 1/3rd of a second to do an on/off request and 2/3rds of a second to do a page load. That turns into ~600 * 1/3 + 30,000 * 2/3 = 20,200 seconds = ~5.6 hours.

How can I do better? I'm trying to think of some binary grouping approach, but it's hard to conceptualize. Note this mapping is pretty sparse, and particularly weighted. I have the switches in approximate greatest to least weighted order.
>>
>>53812555
you're a special kind of retard
>>
>>53812430
Are you using a CAT5 cable?
>>
>>53812384
Any other stores around that you can buy from?
Never cheap out in your PSU, can reduce how much your computer will last, like years less.

Check this site:
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

All the PSUs in the 600W-750W range, check them.
If from where are you from is in the options you can check if its in a different store.
>>
>>53812567
I know, I should learn to read.
>>
>>53812592
it's definitely the switch
I plug the ethernet cable straight in from the modem to my computer and it's gigabit, but then I go through the switch and it's 100mbps
it claims to be gigabit but I'm pretty sure I got duped, fucking trendnet
>>
>>53802377
well for starters make it fucking readable:

bool isPrime(int num, int check)
{
if (num <= check)
{
if (num % check != 0)
{
return isPrime(num, ++check);
}
//not all code paths return a value...
}
else
return true;
}
>>
>>53812620
What about the cable from the modem to the switch (or if you tested that one the cable from the switch to your computer)?
>>
>>53812636
both cat5e
>>
>>53812657
Sorry about your falsly advertized switch
>>
>>53812636
yeah I've checked it with 3 different cables in different ports on the switch and they all are 100mbps
the light on the port that the cable from the modem is in is green which would indicate a gigabit connection, but the port with the cable going to the computer is orange
>>
>>53808350
why the fuck would it be illegal?
I don't know jack shit about python though, can't help you in that area
>>
>>53811014
what is it you want to do?
you prohably should get the thinkpad anyway because a mac is a glorified facebook machine
>>
I want to catch a string but exclude the period at the end, with regular expressions.
>>
So I have to write a stopwatch to compare how long it takes to sort an almost sorted array, an array with inverted order and an array with random numbers. All the numers should be integers.

the stopwatch itself is no problem, but how can I almost sort an array? I guess if it has like 10 numbers in it I can just hardcode it, but I need it to have more like 10000.
>>
>>53813041
forgot to add that I am using java
>>
File: 1431868833964.png (325 KB, 382x417) Image search: [Google]
1431868833964.png
325 KB, 382x417
is there any reason to avoid micro ATX if you're just going with a basic gaming setup? (i3-6100 + gtx 970)
>>
>>53813159
MicroATX is usually more expensive.

Also get a I5-6400 instead a I3.
>>
>>53802377
Wrap it in code brackets
>>
>>53813216
wat

micro is a lot cheaper, and then 6100 is 8% faster than the 6400
>>
>>53805168
No.. idiot. There are some non English code languages though
>>
Recently my games been minimising themselves and not responding, they don't full on crash as the audio continues but I need to kill the process in task manager every time, even with borderless full screen. Only difference lately is that I updated my video drivers. What should I do?
>>
File: 1448731718556.png (7 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1448731718556.png
7 KB, 250x242
What video card should I buy to play with in Legion? I have $350 to spend and my current video card is a Radeon HD 5770.
>>
>>53813300
r9 390 or gtx 970
>>
>>53813323
I assume the R99 390 is better since it has 8GB of ram over the 4GBs on the GTX 970?
>>
>>53813397
it depends. the 390 performs slightly better but it's a lot hotter and uses more power, but the nvidia(gtx 970) has better driver support so it will run better with a wider variety of games, but for WoW this won't matter
>>
>>53813248
>6100 is 8% faster than the 6400
It's not.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2617&cmp[]=2578
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.