[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's going on with Microsoft? Why are they just getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: microsofts-logo-gets-a-makeover.jpg (24 KB, 1170x877) Image search: [Google]
microsofts-logo-gets-a-makeover.jpg
24 KB, 1170x877
What's going on with Microsoft? Why are they just getting on that GNU+Linux dick now?
>>
>>53800632
>we want the "hacker" audience
>>
>>53800632
Linux domination was always inevitable.
>>
Possibly: They realize that devs haven't liked their environment for years, and that they actually do have to be compatible with *nix to maintain any relevance outside the desktop. Which is a shrinking market, even in business-land, since most employees can use phones, tablets, or chromebooks for everything they do, especially if Office is a web app.

More likely: just a blip on the track of the corporate schizophrenia that is Microsoft's strategy. Probably some manager who works in Azure said "Hey, guys. The whole cloud runs on Linux, we gotta be more compatible with them if we want more people to use our cloud!" And they believed him and will follow this path for a year until that guy moves to some other team, at which point it'll all be forgotten about, because MS management has the memory of a goldfish.
>>
Windows is an easy to use OS, but it kinda stinks when you want to do something advanced like write code. Linux is the other way around. Macs have become popular with devs these days because you get the best of both worlds. Now Windows is planning to do something similar. Ease of use and familiarity of Windows plus the power of Linux tools like Bash.
>>
>>53800632
Can't beat'em
Just Join'em
>>
>>53800857
I think this targets osx more than anything
>>
File: rms_interjection.png (505 KB, 612x595) Image search: [Google]
rms_interjection.png
505 KB, 612x595
>>53800646
>>
Embrace
Extend
Exterminate
>>
Microsoft is going to buy Linux from Ubuntu.
>>
>>53800898
>buy Linux
I can sell it to you, wanna buy? I'll give you a good deal.
>>
Expand
Excerpt
Exact
>>
Eels
Etruscans
Emus
>>
Equine
Eggsalad
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Embrace
Ebin
Egregious
freetard software
>>
>>53800892
This.

Embrace
>the standards of the Gnulix userland

Extend
>them with proprietary things to make it worthwile for the average gaymen Windows user

Exterminate
>Drop support in Windows 11
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.