[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel like shit /g/ but maybe I'm just an arrogant spoiled
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: RfVfYMj.jpg (134 KB, 1169x927) Image search: [Google]
RfVfYMj.jpg
134 KB, 1169x927
I feel like shit /g/ but maybe I'm just an arrogant spoiled fuck. Give me advice please, I really need you guys right now

I'm 25 and have no degrees but I have been working as a part-time sysadmin for the past 4 years (got LPIC-2, was about to do LPIC-3) where I also diligently worked on a big open source project and became a member as well as an 'expert' according to their team page. I even got some Linux kernel patches in. I recently applied to some jobs and the highest offer I got was 40K/year with full benefits including 30 days paid vacation. For reference I live in TX.

I had told them that I'd want 55K/year just as an anchor in the hopes of getting 48-50K Now I'm really bummed. I have to decide by tomorrow if I want to accept their offer.

My github profile is great, my recommendation letters are VERY positive, I aced their technical questions, everything. I feel like I wasted my time and should've went to college instead.

They said that they could give me my first raise within a few months. The good thing is, this one is also the only offer I go that doesn't require me to move, which is great because I own the house I live in.

Is their offer fair or am I getting a pleb salary because I don't have a degree?
>>
>>53797235
here is my advice

go fuck yourself
>>
>>53797235
Take it, you live in Texas where living is cheap anyhow.
>>
>>53797235
stay in texas

youll never survive on 40k in the California bay area
>>
>>53797276
That's what I thought but I don't know. I researched online that software engineers in TX earn like 70+K and thought my desired 48-50K would already be low enough. I feel duped.

>>53797297
I don't want to move to California, both me and the company that offered me the job are in Texas
>>
Seems low but then again I am from California so the salaries are higher (due to the higher cost of
>>53797297
if the job was in the bay area I am sure they wouldn't be offering 40k
>>
>>53797314
That's low even for Texas imo, even with your experience. I also live in a low COL state.

But tell me, are there a lot of other tech opportunities where you are? Because if so, you really don't need to commit to that right now. If you're not desperate, tell them their offer is too low.
>>
>>53797235
>first raise within a few months

Sounds like you're still being vetted. Prove yourself and you should be making what you expected or more by next year.
>>
>>53797372
meant to say especially with your experience**
>>
>>53797235
im a sysadmin making about 52/yr from home. I also have no degree, a GED and no certs. in CA (not the bay) and im comfortable. i say take it. fuck it. keep your resume up and keep posting for new jobs. when i see something i like i post for it. i would have to get a serious raise to want to leave my comfy job now though.
>>
>>53797235
Can't just think about the now. You gotta think about the later too. Promotions are good. May even be to a higher position if you stay with it. Life will find its way. And just letting you know, I got my degree and still got fucked. Everywhere wants experience with that piece of paper. Too bad I can't get the experience while being a full time student.
Now I'm a satellite dish install tech. Closed 63k last year with full benefits and they didn't even ask about my education. Life will find its way
>>
>>53797372
>But tell me, are there a lot of other tech opportunities where you are?

Unfortunately no, least not for me. I only found about 4 companies that would even consider hiring people with no degree for software development.

>>53797376
That's what I thought but I don't know if I can really get up to 48K within 1 year, they'd have to give ma a bunch of 3-5% percent raises for that.

The only thing I kind of liked is that their software department is rather young and small but supposed to grow as they already got too much on their hands. I'll be the 4th person they'd be hiring and my friend said that that's pretty great, because I'll be a senior to a bunch of people in the future and could make project leader.

>>53797402
>im a sysadmin making about 52/yr from home
The dream...

>>53797426
>I got my degree and still got fucked
I don't know. Thing is, I'd also want the degree just to prove myself that I can do it. To be part of the "intellectual class". The only good thing about not having a degree is that i have no debt, at all. No CC debt, nothing.
>>
>>53797426
>Now I'm a satellite dish install tech.
That actually sounds pretty cool, btw.
>>
>>53797235

That's shit. You should accept no less than 60k starting. Really, any tech field, 60k is bare minimum.
>>
>>53797402
As someone who wants to become a sysadmin, what exactly do you do?
>>
>>53797235
40 is fucking TERRIBLE anywhere, it is even worse in texas.

the 30 days vacation sounds like bullshit as well.

do whatever you want, but that sounds like the opposite of too good to be true... too shitty to be true
>>
>>53797505
>>53797524
;_;

This is the HIGHEST offer I got. I earned a tad bit over half at my sysadmin job, 20 hour workweeks but no benefits or paid vacation.
>>
>>53797235
That sounds like a decent offer, and 30 days paid vacation is huge. I'd go for it if I were you. I wish I had 6 weeks of vacation. That's enough time to work on a side project for bonus income
>>
>>53797235
Is anyone more entitled than tech faggots?
>>
Unless you have a better paying job at the moment just take the offer. If you don't get your desired wage within a year, just send out new applications. If you want a degree so much, save up money and hit some college. You will be able to get a degree without going into student debt. After that move to San Fran and wait for the job offers to pour in.
>>
>>53797566
I don't know to say man, texas is very competitive you should be getting close to double that.

I am graduating in may doing network security and I had to turn down offers. Ended up going with starting 75k in the mid west where everything is inexpensive as fuck.

Just keep looking and keep trying to better yourself. The best way to do that is to not spend time on 4chan.
>>
File: 1423860869082.jpg (62 KB, 554x390) Image search: [Google]
1423860869082.jpg
62 KB, 554x390
>>53797235
>he fell for the college is a meme meme
>>
>>53797474
>The dream...
it's nice. but you start to go stir crazy after a while. our HQ is 2 hours away but sometimes i'd like to go there. but then i remeber that it's 2 hours away and im like fuck that.

>>53797518
>As someone who wants to become a sysadmin, what exactly do you do?
right now im exporting exchange mailboxes to .pst because one of our clients are migrating to a new mail service. but i write scripts, make sure everyone has AV and is up to date. i patch servers. i dunno im like a swiss army knife but with computers.
>>
>>53797235
What prevents you from getting another job if you get a better offer? Nothing, so just take the job.
>>
>>53797609
um, how about financial planners, stock brokers etc
>>
>>53797609
How am I entitled?
>>
walk... do not accept shitty salary offers. you will be playing from behind the rest of your life.
>>
>>53797723
That's different, they take risks and money is their business.
>>
>>53797314
senpai you just need 1 job that says software engineer on it, then look for hire paying jobs after you've been there for a few months. if it's your first one you can even look immediately and bounce once you find something with the right salary, and if anyone ever asks why you left so quickly later in your career, just say it "wasn't a good fit". I did the exact same thing in the dc area and went from 60k-120k in 1.5 years
>>
>>53797402

You are seriously underpaid, dude. I make about 95k with bonuses, and I'm tier 2 tech support. Can't imagine what the DevOps/SysAdmins make here. I work with Mongo/Cassandra all day. Also, in downtown Austin.
>>
>>53797609
I don't think asking for advice makes him entitled... If anything he's humbling himself...
>>
>>53798971
what's your resume look like how'd you get there? I've been a cable monkey for law firms and this shit is getting old...
>>
The question of salary is always pointless if you don't post the average living expenses in your area. Every time this happens everyone in the cities call the rural areas poor. The same house in California close to a metropolitan area can cost upwards of a million or more and the most basic one room apartment is $2000 a month but meanwhile in moderately average cities you could find the same sort of house for $120,000 and the same apartment for $400.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.