[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Job interview thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: 1403509653901.gif (2 MB, 320x184) Image search: [Google]
1403509653901.gif
2 MB, 320x184
Post your job interview failures. I've been to 2 and I've made a fool of myself both times. I'll start:

>be a student, main in C++
>apply for .NET internship
>basically no higher knowledge of .NET, hope they'll let me learn
>spend 3h every day for a week doing algorithm related tasks from Cracking the Coding Interview
>the technical interview comes up
>only I show up out of other 3 people who applied
>bring my mom's laptop with a dual boot Debian because it's faster than the bloated Win7 it came with
>the woman overseeing the interview says I can use the internet for help
>wow is this really gonna be some babby shit
>hands me a paper with the assignments printed on it
>"blah blah make a structure for storing information about some shit"
>seems alright but I'm starting to get paranoid if it could be that simple
>"write a verification method for file input for this structure"
>i'm a bit rusty on the file io shit but I'll manage
>"write 2 tests for that method"
>"write a tdd like implementation (or whatever I can't remember) of the earlier method"
>I never used tests in C++, never needed them in student projects but I've been meaning to learn boost for a while
>I can't connect to the internet because loonix is sperging out on me and doesn't ask me for a username and password for the wifi that I've been given
>panic on top of already horrible stress
>focus on the 2 first tasks, stumbling on every little bullshit on the way
>using the CL for compiling it every 5 seconds to check if it works
>too embarassed to admit I don't know why the internet doesn't work
>I thought of restarting the laptop and booting up Windows with the code pasted on pastebin or something
>dismiss the thought, because all I've got on Windows is Qt Creator and my time's running out
>give up after over an hour

tldr: I've panicked and wasn't thinking rationally because of stress. Also it's the last time I'm using Linux on a job interview.
>>
>>53796765
They didn't hire you because you spilled your spaghetti. Don't do that.
>>
>>53796765
> do you know php?
> yeah sure
> you're hired
that was not hard
>>
>>53796797
I'm actually waiting for an answer because this was just a couple of days ago. I know they won't hire me but I get those little sparks of hope every once in a while and it just makes me sink into depression like the last time I got rejected. Trying to decide if I should give up getting a job for the moment and focus on my masters or keep trying.

>>53796949
I wish things were this easy for me for once.
>>
>>53796765
I've honestly never had a job interview that didn't result in a job.
5 out of 5 perfect score so far.

Now started my own business so if everything goes well will never have to apply for a job ever again.
>>
>>53796765
>>I can't connect to the internet because loonix is sperging out on me and doesn't ask me for a username and password for the wifi that I've been given
>He fell for the GNU/Linux meme
>>
>>53796765
>internship

It ain't a job if you don't get payed.
>>
>>53797119
The offer said it's supposed to be paid.
>>
>"What do your friends think of you?"
>Blabber about how my friends think of me
>"No, I mean, what do your friends think of you, not what you think of yourself"
>What the fuck, told them I wouldn't fucking know, asked him if he wants my friends number
>"Its okay to say you don't know if you really don't know"
>>
>>53797119
Some internships are paid, anon. Usually temp-to-permanent positions are like that.

Those that aren't are just using the internship label to squeeze free and available labor down to the bone until you're a dried husk in hopes it'll make your resume look good when really the chances it increases from doing jack are very small.
>>
>phone interview
>guy asks 3 tenants of OO
>polymorphism, encapsulation.. and ... and... uhh
>never heard back

>another phone interview
>have operating systems class on resume
>lead interview bloke asks me to tell him about that class
>start blanking
>context switches, deadlocks, some other random crap I remember
>"well anon it doesnt sound like you're very passionate, Ive heard all I needed to hear. Bye"
>fuck

>another phone interview
>some radar/satellite shit
>explain my physics, math and programming classes and projects Ive done
>dudes sound cool as fuck
>hear back a week later
>recruiter says they liked me but I didnt elaborate enough
>double fuck
>>
>>53798410
>>guy asks 3 tenants of OO
>>polymorphism, encapsulation.. and ... and... uhh

Inheritance, anon.
And any time they ask "why" about one of those tenants, just say "easier to write, easier to maintain, easier to reuse."
>>
>>53798488
No worries, Ive been employed for a few years now but still have some haunting memories
>>
>>53798519
Oh, nice.

I actually have an in-person interview next week.
I only applied for the job because I had to for an assignment in my business communications class (we had to write a resume and apply for a job, then write an analysis on the interview if we got one), and I didn't want to be rude and cancel.

I've never interviewed before and I'm excitedly nervous.
>>
>>53798553
IMO go to a shitload of interviews if you can. Its a good skill to have, even if you have a job. just get all the rough edgers rounded out now and you'll be that much better for it
>>
>>53798488
This is some good shit here. Current computng student, any advice about CV or Resumes? I have friends who put every subject we are doing on his CV but I am considering leaving out my weaker ones.
>>
>>53798410
>>53798488
>tenants
Unless OOP is your landlord, I think the word you're looking for is "tenets"
>>
>>53798865
For all intensive purposes, you should of known what we trying to say, so why does it matter?
>>
https://youtu.be/ULqAIbjCsXE
>>
>>53798959
>should of
:^=)
>>
>>53798959
Be sure to include mistakes like that on your next cover letter. I'm sure it won't matter then either.
>>
I hate tech interviews. If I was god, I'd round up every tech interviewer ever and make them do stupid programming puzzles for my personal enjoyment. I'd also ask them random questions that only someone with absurdly specific and pointless knowledge could answer.

If I found any of their answers to be inadequate I'd vanish all of their bank accounts. Karma for the faggots that like denying livelihood based on stupid shit.

I'd do the same to every HR person out there too. Make them take psychometric tests and fail them all regardless of how well they do.

Tech hiring is poison
>>
>>53798991
>comparing cover letter to 4chan
>>
>>53796765
I've been to 4 job interviews in my life. 3 of them Ive got the job.

Taking interviews you won't succeed at. Just how dumb are you /g/.
>>
>>53799138
Character is destiny, anon.
>>
The companies I applied to gave hankerrank coding challenges. Passed all test cases, then phone interview, then in person interview with different teams and then hiring manager. Got a few offers.
>>
>>53799158
It's actually good practice to learn from your mistakes. The more confident you are, the more likely you are to be hired. If it doesn't go well, take the opportunity to figure out why, improve it, and move on to the next one.
>>
This is actually upsetting as hell. How many jobs do I have to apply to before I finally get one? I have a CS degree and quite a few side projects.
>>
>>53799350
It's more about who you know
>>
>>53799376
Alright. Well, I have signed up for a couple of meetups lately. Maybe I'll find success there.
>>
>>53799350
Took me like 15 interviews before I got hired, so it might be a while.

Hopefully somebody eventually will give you a job.

Apparently I got my position because I was outgoing and prompt on following up or some shit.
>>
I have an interview at a computer repair place tomorrow, I'm dying.
It is pretty basic stuff like be knowledgeable of a+, know your way in a computer, know knowledge of virus stuff and that junk. I just hope they don't put me on the spot too much, I don't have everything memorized by any means.
>>
>>53800043
When it comes to virus shit, if you cannot fix it with malwarebytes/msconfig/safemode removing /Appdata garbage, it's format time.

Learn that the reason "my laptop is slow" is because you need to take it apart, clean the shit stuck in the heatsink vent out, reapply thermal paste, reassemble.
You should be able to have a laptop back together in ~30mins without breaking anything.
>>
Had an interview with a startup tomorrow, grandpa passed away today. Rescheduled for monday. Studying now. Hold on there Anons.
>>
>web dev position
>get pre interview test
>blow their simple minds with how fast I completed it with the quality
>the interview consisted of making sure I was not racist

I am

only "failure" was

>go to interview at a stealership for an internship
>they dislike that I have long hair and look like a hippy
>get the job anyways because no one else showed up
>>
File: 1437315842951.jpg (11 KB, 300x268) Image search: [Google]
1437315842951.jpg
11 KB, 300x268
>>53796765
>job interview
>boot up debian
>>
>>53800508
I've never been asked to write code or bring a computer to an interview.

Maybe I would have gotten more job offers if I brought my thinkpad and impressed interviewers with my mad Arch skills.
>>
>phone interview
>start to forget everything
>fail interview
>still no job
;-;
>>
>be senior in IS
>go to interview for Java dev internship for a small company
>spend 2 days before hand studying vocab, oop, and software development methodologies, etc.
>only programming related question I get I get is "why do you like programming?"
>rest of the interview was consisted of personal questions
>spehetti falls out
>walk out the door 15 min after I walked in

I start an internship doing infosec at a very large company after I graduate in may. It all worked out in the end.
>>
>>53800641
I type like a retard at night
>>
I used to be like you. I got a job last month. Here are a few tips:
- Every interview is practice for your next interview. It's not easy to look into the farther future (of course you want THIS job) but you are not guaranteed THIS job
- Similar to the last one: Do not get attached to a job, even if it looks promising. You will feel depressed when you get rejected.
- Do not stop your job search until a job is secured (technically I'm on probation for 5 more months, so I guess my job isn't technically secured either)
- Work on your portfolio and side projects a little bit every day. Bullshit on GitHub. (I don't know if this contributed to my job actually, but it doesn't really hurt and it makes you feel better about yourself)
- Alway smile. Come prepared with common questions, such as "What is a project where you strugged a lot" or "What is one time where you had to step up to be a leader?") Look up these common questions and have an answer down for each. At the end of this, I felt like an expert interviewee.
- If you can't think of a situation where you've ever been a leader, it's okay to lie. These questions are easy to get away with lying. Just make up a story about how someone wasn't doing very well in a group project and you helped guide them or something. I made up a few stories in my interviews.
- in my first couple interviews I DID fuck up badly with lots of "Umm's" and replies like "Well, I have no experience in that but uh... uhh... well... I can do it."
- That reminds me: If you can help it, never bring up what you don't have. Always bring up what you do have. That might require just a bit of lying, and carefully wording questions, but it's not too difficult to answer about lack of experience by relating it to something you ahve done, or making up a white lie story.

I probably have a few more tips, but that's about all I feel like typing for now. Hope it helps out. Didn't proofread it at all.
>>
>job interview
>everything seems to be going fine
>suddenly this huge hippie who apparently is the boss enters the room without knocking
>sits and puts his ugly naked feet on the table
>looks smug as fuck
>asks me if I'm a virgin
>spaghetti
>he insists
>I try to answer but I keep stuttering
>he tells me I don't belong here
>leave the building feeling completely destroyed
>>
>old co-worker from uni sends an email
>"hey we are looking for people wanna work here"
>"ok"
>do job interview 2 hours away with the team guy
>"you'll hear from us soon"
>never heard back from either
>>
>first intership interview
>nervous af
>office is in bat shit no where
>wait on some bus
>wait like an hour
>bus driver on another bus tells me the bus im waiting on only runs around the morning and evening
>its the fucking mid day
>panic even more
>bus driver is chilled me out and said uber to the place is 5 bucks and he'll take me around the corner
>feelsgoodman
> uber picks me up
>get there on time
>random lady takes me to some room
>sits me down, talks about the job etc
>programming question comes up
>make some sort of algorithm yada yada sort and picks from some set of data
>can use any language
>did what i could in python
>lady tells me im not completely wrong but wrong
>shows me what i could have done/ improve
>talk some more
>interview ends

In the end the lady gave me a ride back to the station, I actually got the job offer but since the commute was long af and expensive I couldn't do it. Still regret it to this day.
>>
>take first job interview
>hr ask common questions
>answer confidently
>after a while she gives exams
>do okayish
>almost 1 month later still no feedback if fail or pass
Should I still wait? Or this is just a way to say "you're failed"?
>>
>>53800948
lol you didn't get the job brofam. they probably weren't going to pick you at all. hr wastes peoples time with interviews just to look like they're doing a job when they chose who they want before the positions are even posted
>>
>>53800948
you get your reply after 1 week usually... just call them (the secretary will call you back or something) or send a nice email asking
>>
>>53800948
You didn't get it. Search for other jobs.
>>
Took me about 6 job interviews before I got two job offers. That only happened because I created a profile website and implemented on of my projects in it. After that it was a cakewalk as they already knew I could build and implement code.
>>
>>53801095
>didn't do any side projects
>don't have a website
>didn't do any internships because my college didn't require it
>graduated in december
Man, I really fucked up, didn't I?
>>
>>53801123
Better start now
>>
>>53801123
Yeah. Start working on an online portfolio at least. Listing projects you did in college and the classes you took is allowed.
>>
>>53799045
I like you
>>
>interview on gtalk
>confident as fuck
>bitch gives me a hardass brain teaser problem and expects me to solve it in 20 minutes
>after 5 mins I realized that there is no time to both think an efficient solution and write the code for it
>sweating profusely
>I close the call in panic
>write in the text field "I don't know what happened, I can't call back"
>she calls me
>tell I can't open it the button doesn't work
>close the laptop and start running
>>
File: 1457612044412.png (66 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1457612044412.png
66 KB, 1000x1000
>>53796765
>Yfw internet not working was intentional, part of the interview to check if you ask for help
>You didn't get the job because you didn't communicate properly
>>
>>53799138
>implying your dumb ass would do anything past checking that nothing is underlined in red
You would defiantly get the job.
>>
>>53798959
>intents and purposes
>should have
>>
File: 1448005637401.jpg (49 KB, 492x480) Image search: [Google]
1448005637401.jpg
49 KB, 492x480
>>53798978
Came here to post this.

I like to watch it every now and then to remind myself at least I'm not that guy.

Might even be a good video to watch right before an interview for a ego boost.
>>
>>53797119
>payed
5 years ago people on the internet weren't this illiterate. What did change? Kids beginning to type? People got dumber?
What the actual fuck?
>>
School's web dev interview:
>Fizzbuzz
>Fibonacci
>Linked List
>2 Lightbulb word problem

Microsoft Office internship:
>string to double
>some weird binary search in a 2D map
>breathe-first search
>Word problem that essentially boiled down to "In a directed _cyclic_ graph with one and only one sink, find the sink"

I guess neither were failures, but I was sweating hard at certain points.
>>
>>53802634
>payed instead of paid
>your instead of you're
>their instead of they're
>peek instead of peak
Literally everywhere. Funny that only americans make these mistakes.
>>
>>53800752
It's alright anon. You wouldn't want to work there anyways. I would have told the guy to fuck off and ended the interview right there, no matter the pay.

Someone that unprofessional would have just dicked you over in the end.
>>
>>53802634
I think foreigners.
But people on the internet were that illiterate 5 years ago. Internet didn't change that much if past 5 years.
>>
>>53802647
>breathe
Breadth. Stupid autocorrect.
>>
>>53802738
>I think foreigners.
Nah
>>
>>53802634
A lot of people from developing countries started using smartphones.

>>53802737
>tfw no one got my dank reference
/g/ is changing
>>
>>53802782
Sorry, your reference was too dank for me, or it could be that I'm too tired to think straight. Fat barefoot hippy makes me think of rms, but I couldn't imagine him asking about virginity.
>>
>>53802735
Let's not forget 'then' instead of 'than'.

>>53802738
Some English speakers are behind of many errors, including the 'then' thing.

>>53802782
Smartphones without autocorrect? Holy fuck.
>>
>>53800752
Pirates of silicon valley. I get it anon. Very clever.
>>
Should I reply fast, let them thinking I may have prepared in advance the questions, giving the possibility to some other questions I didn't think of, or it's better pretend to think of them a bit, let them think I know the topic even if I didn't prepared them?
>>
>>53797078
Hire OP.
>>
>>53796765
This worries me deeply, I have only been focusing on getting done my math exams and then go out to the wild and seek for jobs, however I don't feel mentally prepared to do any of these "tests", I can only manage to do it on my own without stress or pressure...Plus I am worried if I get something I don't know(but should know but never gotten to read and learn about)
>>
File: steve.png (82 KB, 316x262) Image search: [Google]
steve.png
82 KB, 316x262
>>53800752
I GOT THE LOOT STEVE!
>>
>>53802738
English is not my first language, and when I was learning it, I actually thought something like >>53802735 was made on purpose.
>>
>>53802851
>Some English speakers are behind of many errors, including the 'then' thing.
This. As a foreigner I would never do such a mistake.
>>
File: PPPRrrrrftttt!!.gif (2 MB, 189x189) Image search: [Google]
PPPRrrrrftttt!!.gif
2 MB, 189x189
>>53796765
>applied for an internship at Intel
>show up in a hoodie and kind-of hung over
>interviewer is in a suit
>get asked some easy questions
>interviewer says they saw my GitHub
>get hired on the spot

mfw
>>
>>53797078
Tell us more about the bizznizz
>>
>apply for technical position
>get interview with some HR hag
>"tell us how you would motivate a team member who doesn't want to work/is lazy"
>wtf this is an entry level position, it's not my fucking problem besides why is this person hired in the first place
>"uh try to see things from his /her perspective and find out what would motivate him/her"

What the fuck is that shit. Why do I have to answer a list of buzzfeed interview questions from a HR drone when I am applying for an entry level tech position?
>>
>>53802634
Payed instead of paid seems to have become really popular in the last year. I assumed it was some stupid hip hop reference I didn't care to look up. Before last year I'd never seen it misused like this. Must be a reason for the sudden popularity.
>>
OP here, glad to see the thread's still up. Here's my first interview.

>get woken up from a nap by an unknown caller
>literally sent the CV 3 hours earlier to a company when I saw the ad
>it's the HR woman asks me how I came to know about this offer and shit
>then she says we'll switch to English to check my skills (I'm not a native speaker)
>asks me about my latest projects
>I panic and don't talk about my latest projects, but some older ones
>they came to my mind first and were easier to explain than student projects that implement machine learning algorithms
>it goes well anyway
>hear back on the phone some time later
>agree to set the date of the interview on the same day as a final exam
>the day before I'm stressed the fuck out of my mind
>can't study for the exam or the interview
>barely get any sleep
>get both technical and HR questions in the interview
>tech guy asks me about the projects I did
>he's pretty cool, definitely knowledgable
>tell him about every single student project I did that semester and more
>I feel like they're getting bored about me talking so much about these things, so I cut a lot of things short and start getting nervous
>he asks me about software engineering methodologies
>I say that if I had that interview a week from now I would have known that, because I had an exam coming up about these things
>asks me about design patterns
>start panicking, I mention singleton and observer
>I don't even know what the observer does, I just heard the name couple of days earlier
>HR woman proceeds with her questions
>"do you prefer working alone or in a team"
>I talk about how it depends on the team and how I got fucked over by a team member once and had to do the whole project alone a day before a deadline
>this is the point I completely spilled my spaghetti
>"what can you offer our company"
>tech guy asks what would I like to do in the company
>I mumble some bullshit
>on my way out meet guy from uni
>he got hired, I didn't
>I also failed the exam
>>
>>53804588
Don't sweat it at least you got to the face to face interview the first time
>>
File: giphy.gif (487 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
487 KB, 500x281
>>53796765
one day you'll succeed, just believe more in yourself and don't overthink your mistakes
and my advice: just get [spoiler]shitface drunk[/spoiler] today, have a good time and they will call eventually, if not, try again or change your profession [spoiler]99.99% of IT workers are faggots anyway[/spoiler]
>>
>>53805606
nice spoilers
>>
I'm lost how people can mess up interviews like this.
Go in. Be honest. If you fit, they offer job. If you claim good at software, expect test. We test. Simple shit, only to verify they are not lies.
>>
>>53807474
>t. Pjotr Ivanovokovic
>>
>>53802765
Breathe-first sounds like an algorithm made by relationship therapists
>>
The only way to nail and interview is, to be honest, and upfront with what you know. If you go in all flustered you will ultimately fail and the spaghetti will come pouring out of your pockets. Be straight with the person who's asking you the questions. It helps to have a bit of personality too.
>>
>>53796949
>do you know C#?
>no
>well I'm sure you can pick it up

Turned out to be the worst job I ever had. I'll never accept another job where people didn't have to demonstrate that they could code.
>>
>>53796797
>They didn't hire you because you spilled your spaghetti. Don't do that.
What if you have high social anxiety like me and can't help spilling spaghetti?

I'm so pissed off with recruiters/interviewers. They aren't allowed to discriminate against stuff like gender, race, age, but they can sure as hell discriminate if you're a nervous person.
>>
Haven't had a job interview in 17 years.

I'd hate to imagine what kind of faggotry you kids have to put up with now.
>>
>>53803222
>wanting a sperg who can't even connect to the internet to work for you
>>
>only applied to one job in my life at the age of 26
>it was a big tech company
>got the job, working as an engineer for 2 years now, making shit load of money
no way in hell i could have done this without a respectalbe CS degree. we're all gonna make it
>>
>>53799045
I also like you.
>>
>>53802738
Speaking from personal experience, people who don't speak English as their native language don't make those kinds of mistakes very often. They certainly don't mistake homophones for each other. The mistakes tend to be more basic - words that are misspelled entirely or substituted for a thematically related word, missing articles(this is one that I do quite often, since Finnish doesn't have articles at all), not capitalizing nationalities and names of languages(seriously, English is the only language that does this. It makes no sense at all.) etc.
>>
>>53811435
dumb boomerposter
>>
>>53807474
It could work, as long as there's nothing they could ask you that you wouldn't know. Otherwise, you're expected to have nerves of steel or to lie. Average honest betas with no networks like me are bound to be fucked over on interviews till they learn all there is to know.
>>
>>53807474
>I'm lost how people can mess up interviews like this

For starters, you need to have very good communication skills. Even if you do have the skills, Employer may not hire you because they don't like your personality or your skillsets.

Technical Interviews have WhiteBoards, IBM Assessment, Random Qusetion asked, Fizzbuzz,etc. You have no idea what they will ask, and what answers the employer want.

Honest or Lying doesn't matter, you have to meet qualifications for what Employers wants for a candidate. You have to prove to them why you are the best candidate.
>>
>>53804003
Proof pls
If true you are based and my hero
>>
>>53804003
What kind of stuff did you have on your github?
>>
>Go to first job interview
>Goes ok, I keep dropping some spaghetti
>Interviewer seems like a fag
>Ask me my hobbies
>Say various thing and add browsing the internet
>Asks me websites I use
>Drop 4chan without thinking by accidents
>Asks boards I use and then he tells me his
>Starts talking about dank memes like pepe and cuck
>Get the Job
>Spend 1 year working there worrying more about keeping up to date with 4chan memes than getting work done.
>>
>>53807474
You do realize this is a tech board, not all of us are going to be socially savvy and interviews are nerve wracking for normal people too.
Interviews are complete bullshit too, instead of asking you shit like do you have the skills for the job and to prove it they ask you your life story and weird hard to answer questions.
>>
>>53798410
>>"well anon it doesnt sound like you're very passionate, Ive heard all I needed to hear. Bye"
the fuck
>>
>>53816773
Bullshit, but I believe it.
>>
>>53799045
I like you too anon.
>>
>>53816827
he probably stuttered too much

or quite simply, they're just filling their rejection quota so they can go beg the government for more H1-B visas
>>
>>53800701
I saved this, ty anon.
>>
>>53804074

Because it's actually dicking relevant, you pleb. I bet you're one of those guys who really thinks that you'll just go to work, spend 2 hours on some Javascript that someone basically site for you, then go home and collect your $100,000 check?

Guesd what faggot, even tech jobs still involves people and communication skills.
>>
One think I keep seeing in these threads is people panicking in during technical questions.
All you need to do is start talking. Just say your train of thought as you go about solving it. DO NOT try to figure out the problem in your head for 5 minutes without saying a word. The tech question is more to see how you think than what you know.
Once you start talking about your initial assumptions on the question make sure to ask questions. "How is my input sorted?" "are these variables bounded by 0?" ect. The interviewer may give you hints if you go down the wrong path or say something that goes against the guidelines of the question that you overlooked.
Once you start talking and have the start of the idea start writing, you'll realize mistakes pretty quickly and can solve the problem faster too.
If you forget something trivial (like how to use pointers on a c-style string like I did once), let the interviewer know you are just blanking at the moment about the syntax and write in an approximatiom of the right code. They know any competent programmer could find the syntax of something in 10 seconds on google anyway.
The final thing is to TEST, give yourself some inputs and talk though the code you wrote. It shows them you understand what you wrote and you can usually find bugs and out of bound errors by testing edge cases like 0 or -1.

Source: Tips from a senior at my uni who is going to google this summer and helped me prep for and land the internship with the company where I forgot about string pointers.
>>
>>53802647
Fuck it just took me 40 minutes to implement fibonacci. And its a loop as well not the recursion way of doing it. Gonna be NEET forever at this rate.

Maybe I can just memorize the solution like I do with binary search and fizzbuzz.
>>
>>53817439
Anon, what does line 7 do in your FizzBuzz code?

>anon panics
>>
>>53817457
public class Fibonacci {

public void start(int numberOfLoops)
{
int[] anArray = new int[]{0, 1};
int nextNumber = 0;
int loopCount = 0;
System.out.println(anArray[0]);
System.out.println(anArray[1]);

while (loopCount <= numberOfLoops)
{
nextNumber = anArray[0] + anArray[1];
System.out.println(nextNumber);
anArray[0] = anArray[1];
anArray[1] = nextNumber;
loopCount++;
}
}
}

it sets the loopCount variable to 0

>forty fucking minutes and a couple of failures to reach this
>>
>>53817583
I SAID YOUR FIZZBUZZ CODE

THIS INTERVIEW IS OVER

GET OUT
>>
File: 1451077860748.png (3 KB, 343x543) Image search: [Google]
1451077860748.png
3 KB, 343x543
>>53817583
I'm right there with you Mario, luckily I'm getting a degree in info sec so I don't have to worry about programming much after school unless I decide to focus on that area of security.
>tfw you only passed your programming courses by copying pajeets broken code from stack overflow
>>
File: Mar-10-18-02-31-2016.webm (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Mar-10-18-02-31-2016.webm
2 MB, 1920x1200
>>53796765
you fucking deserve this. this is what you do.

or if you were smart enough, you would always carry your cellphone cord with you and theter your data connection in case you cannot connect to any wifi nearby, or connect to the wifi on the cellphone and connect it to your laptop to do the same, Linux unlike Windows has native support for this with no need for internet to download drivers that enables the feature.
>>
File: Apr-09-15-19-01-2016.webm (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Apr-09-15-19-01-2016.webm
1 MB, 1920x1200
>>53817725
oh the irony, wrong webm, still just trying to help you out for the next time.
>>
>>53800641
what was the process for landing the internship? I'll be starting the college process soon and I'm looking for any advice.
>>
>>53817616
aw shit, back to the jobcentre it is :(

>>53817655
Good luck with that anon. The sad thing for me is ive already got my degree and I actually really like programming, its fun building things. I should probably be good at it by this stage. I know in my mind I can be pretty decent at this I just need to pull my finger out and stop wanking the day away or gaming and sit and work on some projects once in a while.

Im slowly building a login system for a website with spring boot. I find spring pretty complex but every little problem I solve, every new thing I figure out feels good and its fun when I get into it.
>>
>>53800701
do you still get payment during your probation or is it treated like an unpaid internship?
>>
>>53796765
Op, buy a usb wireless adapter, i had a similar problem on linux and this was a short term fix for me.
>>
>>53817439
Recursion is a loop
>>
>talk to interviewer
>everything going well
>"well you seem like a great fit; you'll hear from us soon"
>never hear from them again
Story of my life ;_;
>>
Is there a hope for us autists?
I'm getting better at solving puzzles but I still talk with lots of "umm"
>>
File: 1444937880755.jpg (22 KB, 452x600) Image search: [Google]
1444937880755.jpg
22 KB, 452x600
>we're looking to hire ASAP
>how does an interview in 3 weeks sound to you?
>>
>interview at a software development company to be a junior android developer
>gets there in time well prepared
>go into their offices
>Macs and macbooks at every desk
>litterally could only think about it during interview
>ace the technical part of the interview anyways
>on comes all these personal question
>god damn these macfags are nosy
>probably came across as someone with no motivation or enthusiasm
>"we will call you if you are chosen"
>no call, get an email 2 weeks later with an copy pasted rejection
>>
>>53819795
At least they were kind enough to acknowledge you didn't get the job la
>>
>>53819219
sometimes they honestly just forget. people doing hiring are fucking idiots sometimes. next interview act like they're mentally challenged, or like small children. you'll relax a lot more.
>>
>Java Job that sounds like a sweet deal
>Get past phone interview and 2 in person interviews
>Whole office seemed to like me when we did 2nd in person interview where they did the everyone together to see if I fit the culture
>Get final interview that had the head of software development to the whole company that flew in from across the continent who just happen to be doing an inspection of the local branch
>Everything going ok, just simple get to know me questions
>get asked to write a program that print fizz for multiple of 3 and buzz for multiple of 5
>fizzbuzz.. holy crap, the hours of /g/ may pay off
>write normal implementation on the whiteboard explaining as I go
>after I finish, get asked questions
>"did I say to print out the numbers as you go?"
>holy crap, completely messed up the question
>can't even answer
>mentally break down because of unexpected situation
>"I-I d-didn't realize that.."
>spaghetti is now flying everywhere
>everything quickly went down from there
>leave feeling like shit
>no call for a week, call them to ask
>"We really liked you and we thought you'd be great for the role but at this time we feel that you do not have enough experience. Although we have not yet filled the position, we will be looking for someone who can hit the ground running. We will contact you if anything changes."
>4 interviews at the same company and no job
>how I fuck up this hard, I don't know
>>
>freetard
>.NET internship
Can't make this shit up
>>
>>53797119
my internship's paid

i didn't even need to do any programming questions in my interview lmao
>>
>enter job interview
>interviewer says hi to me
>i say hi to him
>i turn around and pull my pants down
>i show him my butt
>he says what are you doing
>then i tighten my butt and fart
>the fart sounds like the word "hello"
>i laugh so hard i do a big poo on the interviewers desk
>interviewer says what da beep lol you did a poopoo
>i say sorry for the poo lol :)
>he says well you just failed the job interview
>so i turned around and pulled my pants back up
>looked him in the eyes
>grabbed his pooper scooper
>scoopered up my pooper
>flinged it at the american flag hanging on his wall
>shit sprays and sticks to the flag
>i grab the flag and tie a knot in the end
>its heavy from the shit stuck too it
>start swinging it around like a bommy knocker
>hit the interviewer
>kills him in 1 hit
>i right click on his body
>pick up a ham sandwich and 30 gold
>then i went home and bort a subscription to youtube red

:)
>>
>>53796949
Ahahahaha I'm a high tier PHP programmer and currently unemployed. It really isn't that easy.
>>
>>53808856
details.
>>
>>53819932
>did the everyone together to see if I fit the culture

that sounds awful and completely unnecessary.
>>
>>53820015
A lot of small development teams really care about their culture and team dynamic
>>
I'm graduating next year, what should I do in the meantime to maximize my chances of getting a real job?

Can't do an internship because I do firefighting in the summers.
>>
>>53820132
Just learn to not be a sperg and be persistent in job hunting and you'd be fine
>>
>>53820132
work at mcdonalds to get a team dynamic so you can get a job

or bash your asshole in with a dragon dildo on webcam for poofters online for money
>>
>>53820132
you should probably get on one of those cam sites and bash your asshole in for money
>>
>>53820132
bash your asshole in for money on cam to get a job m8
>>
>>53817364
Managers exist for a reason.
>>
>>53817412
Rolla?
>>
>have an interview next week for a company that makes and troubleshoots websites for mostly older people
>the experience they were looking for was basically customer service and "HTML/CSS experience"
I'll probably brush up a bit, but it should be easy, right?
>>
>>53817756
I'm pretty sure I browsed all those menus back then, must have overlooked it. How the fuck do I not spill my spaghetti this hard again? Any useful drugs?
>>
File: 1442986512555.png (211 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
1442986512555.png
211 KB, 327x316
>>53796765
>have to record a video message before the interview about some randumb topic
>sperg out
>still send it because fuck it, not spending another minute doing this bs
>>
Maybe a stupid question, but how much does it matter how you look? I mean does it matter if you're fat or have long hair if you're clean and wearing nicely fitting clothes?
>>
>>53823150
Depends where you're being interviewed. Some people don't give a fuck, some people won't hire you if you don't look like the typical macfag hipster and some places expect you to show up in a suit.
>>
>>53802735
get off our website
>>
Im in 4th year computer engineering(b.s. degree). Just curious why isn't anybody talks about GPA. Im way too depressed not getting a job after graduate having the mid tier GPA. got my math,science,theoretical stuffs,electronics,data structure and other majors going well but not on minor disciplines such as history,humanities etc. Its been stressful that on my perception, i might not get employed easily if they would just look on my average gpa instead of those useful courses i taken seriously. Hope any of you would be interested in this matter.
>>
>>53819480
>If you're successful you'll be starting at the beginning of June. Sound okay?

No it fucking does not. I need money NOW, not my first paycheck at the end of June.
>>
>>53824542
The only thing you should feel depressed about is your English, Pajeet.
>>
>>53824683
Not american actually
>>
>>53824752
So what? If you've been in that field for so long but can't communicate properly in English then you'll have a tough time being relevant anywhere that matters.
>>
>>53796765
I've only had successes.
>>
>>53824772
Should i take linguistic course? It doesn't cost much and i will try as if you recommend it.
>>
>>53808856
Please splain
>>
I'll just mention my top rejection

>get interviewed by 2 people of different ethnicities to me, one Indian, one SEAsian, one blonde hair blue eye guy and some balding guy
>bald guy refused to explain this vague as fuck question, literally just them expecting spaghetti and me giving them variations of "i don't know what you want"
>the Asian guy literally didn't give me a chance, dishonesty tells out the ass when trying to give me "constructive feedback"
>the Indian woman seemed offended when I tried to shake her hand (wtf, I'm white, its how we greet each other? Why are you in this country?)
>rejection: you don't fit the culture requirement
Like, who do I go to? Who cares that a Mediterranean man didn't get the job?

>graduate position
>backend development
>have several projects
>have work experience doing something similar
>note "graduate" position
>rejection: we were looking for someone with more experience, try again when you have more
So, like why interview me and waste my time in the first place?

>big shot defense company
>headquarters in Israel
>>lol I don't care, need that job
>get interviewed
>rejection: position frozen
Naww, you just wanted to hire someone Israeli and my country simply forced you to interview a local. With any luck they lost the contract, bet they'll yell antisemitism.

Most places with "diversity" statements don't even email me back, what are they going to say? No thank you, our HR lead read a few articles saying hiring white men was bad and you're clearly a white male?

Anyway, I'm getting close to suicide, I see no point to life if I'm incapable of success. Moral of the story, don't try to be a programmer in areas of the world most effected by leftism.
>>
>>53798986
>>53798991
>>53801797
thatsthejoke.ppt
>>
>>53798628
What if they want to hire you (and you don't actually want the job)?
>>
File: 1457904094291.jpg (83 KB, 750x563) Image search: [Google]
1457904094291.jpg
83 KB, 750x563
>go to C#/.NET interview in large company
>about 20 people in the room each with a computer to solve 4 problems in code
>solve 2 problems
>solve 90% of third, can't solve rest, decide to come back later for it
>can't proceed to 4th without completing 3rd
>time is running out

I picked up my bag and just left, because fuck this shit
>>
>>53798716

Make a website dedicated to yourself. I did and the interviewer was impressed because "Nobody goes to that length"
>>
>>53800455
>>the interview consisted of making sure I was not racist
>I am
Kinda retarded if you let them find that out.
>>
>>53796765
>no using tethering with your superior data connection
are you living in a third world country anon?
>>
>>53825456
>dedicated to yourself
this sounds... strange
>>
>>53796765
>do you know php and mysql
>yes
>you're hired report back in here next monday
4 years in now
they started training us in nosql and anguilarjs
>>
>>53798978
>why do you wanna get this internship, how do you wanna grow?
>>well it's a paid internship, right? So I'll get money.. that's the main goal
At least the guy's honest but jesus christ
>>
>>53825213
>the Indian woman seemed offended when I tried to shake her hand (wtf, I'm white, its how we greet each other? Why are you in this country?)
DESU familia you should wait till the employers reach out with their hand to you, otherwise you don't get to shake their hand.
>rejection: you don't fit the culture requirement
That sounds like discrimination.

Hang in there bro, maybe some day we're all gonna make it.
>>
>>53825775
It's pretty obvious it was discrimination, but there are less than no avenues for a white man to claim discrimination because it's fucking promoted. No, really, what am I going to say? This company won't hire a white man? A magistrate would probably give them a nod of approval for "diverse" hiring.

I just wish they'd be more honest about it, maybe not waste my time or get my hopes up.

And no, anon, I'm starting to think there is no place for a white male programmer, unless you have five years experience but an inexperienced white male programmer is never going to get that.. so...

What really depresseses me (not now, just drunk) is that this year I had the best chances. Just officially graduated, have an epic project, work experience etc and I failed. Every consecutive year hurts my chances because having gap years in your resume looks bad. If I couldn't get a job this year, or last year, I won't get a job next year and it's almost impossible the year after. It's the hopelessness that's getting to me.
>>
>>53825878
>muh white male persecution
Just kill yourself, seriously. You are obviously not cut out for life.
>>
>>53798959
English, do you speak it?
>>
>>53825892
Is there a reason you don't believe it's a real thing? Are you ignorant or in denial? What did you think all the more women and minorities in STEM articles were about?

And how is being rejected with the only reason being "culture" not persecution?

Maybe you're a fucking bigot? I think you're a fucking bigot, I bet you even parade for Sanders and shout down peoples opinions purely because they're white men. You don't actually think you're a good person, do you? You're right up there with the kkk during the 50s
>>
File: thatsgoldregardsgoldman.jpg (58 KB, 600x656) Image search: [Google]
thatsgoldregardsgoldman.jpg
58 KB, 600x656
>Interview for internship
>Hello would you like some coffee?
>Yes thanks
>so you know VB.Net?
>No but I know C#
>It's ok, you'll learn it in few weeks then
>You can also do SQL right?
>I know the basics
>Alright, when can you start?

Also got paid for it and after 3 months they asked me to become full time.
>>
>Applying to a grocery store as my first job ever at 25 years old
>Drenched in sweat the entire time and stuttering trying to answer questions
>Can't get a job that even retards work at

Kill me
>>
>>53825932
Stop using affirmative action as an excuse for your inadequacies, and maybe you'll get somewhere in life. There are plenty of while males working in the industry.
>>
>>53798410
>>53798488

> tenants

it's "tenets" you motherfuckers

t. english major
>>
>>53825964
I'm sure there are, but a white male that's already behind has fewer opportunities to get ahead and how many of those white males are juniors? We're in a time when people even in their early 30s are too old to see these effects and therefore too old to believe there's a problem. I don't deny I lack things, but you're just so ignorant if you believe being refused jobs for my ethnicity or gender is in anyway just.

Affirmative action is a means of class warfare. Privilege is just the cultural Marx... Sorry "critical theorists" word for bourgeois. It is oppression whether you're mature enough to admit it or not.
>>
>>53826067
Let's say a company gives up 10% of its spots to useless diversity hires. Now, if you didn't get the job, you would have been at the bottom 10% of the company or lower. Crying about affirmative action is not an excuse for your own shortcomings.
>>
>>53826104
What if a company is already of a decent size and are actually looking for 100% of their juniors/graduates being diversity hires? What if their HR lead has decided that there's already enough white men, and that hiring one more is "wrong"?

You are ignorant if you believe it's just 10%. You are ignorant if you believe they're hiring more than 2 or 3 people. Do you even have a job in STEM?

>>53825971
What the fuck are you doing in this thread? Go away, you're a useless person.
>>
>>53826164
Then find another company. I had no problems getting a job at a top tech company as an asian male, which is even worse for diversity than a white male. What university did you go to? What internships did you have? How good are you with interview questions? What notable projects have you worked on? You should take a good look at yourself before crying about affirmative action.
>>
>>53826236
No, it's fucking not.

You stupid cunt, not only are Asians overrepresented but it's only white men being discriminated against in hiring. You *may have had a bit when applying for uni, but for HR with sociology degrees it's just white men. Just. White. Men.

Don't you dare believe you understand.

And don't you dare talk to me or my wife's son again.
>>
>>53826321
kek
>>
>>53820132
whats your degree in lol
>>
>>53819298
Build a portfolio and bring it to the interview
Show it off during the interview
Will give you something to talk about and fill in gaps of silence
Doesn't have to be anything amazing just show off some core OOP design principles
If you went to school for Com Sci you can just bring in some of your school assignments.
If you didn't look up assignments online and do them.
>>
File: chucklefuck.gif (147 KB, 300x173) Image search: [Google]
chucklefuck.gif
147 KB, 300x173
>>53800752
>underrated post
>>
>>53804588
I forgot to mention (character limit wouldn't let me). Some time after that interview, I went to a job fair at my uni and I noticed that company's stand. It turned out, standing there were the same people that interviewed me. I actually came up to them and asked why they didn't hire me (don't know how I got the balls to do that). Wasn't anything mean-spirited, I actually smiled at them and they recognized me. The tech guy was in the back so I didn't get his input, but the HR woman said that they had a lot of candidates. I asked her what I should work on and she said "my confidence" and told me that they'd remember me next time they're looking for people. All I thought of that was
>implying,
as I proceeded to sink 16 hours into vidya, trying to forget that failure.
>>
File: 2B0uaWg.jpg (29 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
2B0uaWg.jpg
29 KB, 600x338
Ever since landing my first job I haven't had an interview since. Every job I've had has been from reference and word of mouth.
>>
>>53801123
Make a personal project, make it something you can finish and show off.
>>
>>53822258
does your doctor give you any anxiety medicine like xanax?
>>
File: basement_5691.png (98 KB, 300x206) Image search: [Google]
basement_5691.png
98 KB, 300x206
>>53826579
>as I proceeded to sink 16 hours into vidya
half your problem right there, OP. drop the babby shit hobbies and spend that time learning. vidya skills don't have a single goddamn application in the real world.

>inb4 muh mental accuity
believing that bullshit is going to lead to you living in mom's basement...
>>
>>53826579
>sink 16 hours into vidya
This is why you fail moron
>>
>>53826597
Which country do you live in? I want to avoid a place with such a high demand for faggots.
>>
>>53826597
that's how my mother gets her jobs and it seems amazing. People really underestimate the power of social connections and networking.
>>
>>53826681
it took me 8 years to figure this out, hopefully too much damage hasn't been done already.
>>
>>53826729
People without a foot in the door don't.
>>
>>53826681
although 16 hours is a lot of wasted time, vidya isn't inherently any worse than watching soap operas and sports that a lot of people do
>>
>>53802735
Funny that we understand the language well enough that we can use them interchangebly because we know what each word means in context.
>>
>>53826236
Not american, but I thought that Asians were very overly represented in the tech sector in the us. At least among the biggest it companies.
Probably since they are good. I would hire someone with east Asian background as well.
>>
>>53803992
>do a mistake

In english one would say "made a mistake"
>>
>>53815926
Pics of the interviewers daughter
>>
>>53797119
we get PAID in america , Pahjeet. Expect to get ~7k in bay area
>>
>>53826917
there is too many of them working already and companies need to fill diversity quotas
>>
Ok /g/, What is your biggest weakness?
>>
>>53801599
underated post
>>
>>53817583
gotta love Python
fibo = [1, 1]
for i in range(1, 100):
fibo.append(fibo[i] + fibo[i-1])
print(fibo)
[/close]
>>
>>53827767
>fibo = [1, 1]
should be [0, 1]
>>
>tfw all of my personal projects are either too autistic (related to 4chan or Minecraft) or slightly illegal
>tfw I can't admit I have done these projects
>>
>>53827767
Someone do it in javascript now
>>
>>53827983
never let your autism get in the way of your dreams, projects are projects and if the interviewer is decent they wont care what the project is related to but rather how it's done.
>>
>>53828241
you want me to show him my exhentai scraper?
>>
>>53828262
Don't mention exhentai, just said you made webscraper. I also made scraper for news website with paid articles, every 30 minutes it connects to the site with my username/password, download content of last 10 articles in RSS feed, put some CSS to them and upload them on webserver via SFTP. I still have to pay every month for subscription (which I would do anyway), but my friends don't need to have their own accounts to view full articles.
>>
>>53819219
Sometimes they hire someone less qualified but just more interesting to talk to. Tech is also prey to corporate culture and office politics like most jobs.
>>
How is it that some women in senior positions of a tech company can be some of the most insecure cunts to deal with?

Lots of older guys in the field seem so chill and ready to grandfather any fresh meat they can.
>>
>>53828446
>Sometimes they hire someone less qualified but just more interesting to talk to.

I guess that might be one of the reasons why so many tech companies go under so fast.
>>
>>53817583
It can be made simpler:

int loopcount = 10;
int aa[] = { 0, 1, 1 };
for( int i = 1; i <= loopcount; i++ )
{
aa[2] = aa[1] + aa[0];
printf("%d\n", aa[1] );
aa[0] = aa[1];
aa[1] = aa[2];
}

>>
File: 1447882237534.png (40 KB, 152x254) Image search: [Google]
1447882237534.png
40 KB, 152x254
>>53800752
>>53803766
Man I gotta watch that film again
Anyone want to stream it?
>>
>>53798978
JEESUS CHRIST NO
>>
>>53828722
Corporate culture's a bitch, anon. If it were about getting the job done and done well, it would be boring or overtly inclusive to those who just bark orders and think the frontlines are a circus just because a few of the workers can shoot the shit and get tons done in a day if the people in charge didn't have shit time management and perspective on the difference between learning a task and knowing one like the back of one's hand.

When the sink ships, they'll need a fall guy.
>>
File: ShiroKurita.jpg (47 KB, 679x475) Image search: [Google]
ShiroKurita.jpg
47 KB, 679x475
One interview I'll never fucking forget

>recruiter tells me about this job
>back-end web development with Rails
>may as well see what it's about
>turn up at the 'office' in an industrial area
>walk through the offices
>70% of computer desks are empty
>90% of work force are Indians
>ohhhh this doesn't seem right
>go through the interview
>"So what experience do you have with Photoshop"
>I thought this was a Rails position
>"Well there's a small bit of that but we mainly work in JavaScript"
>Hands me a paper test
>"Solve this problem using Visual Studio"
>On a paper test
>they meant C#

Don't know why I even stuck around that long. I couldn't have worked with the poo-in-loos.
>>
>>53797081
DELETE THIS
>>
>>53824542
I didn't put my gpa on my resume and got two job offers.
>>
>>53825456
Same, I had no luck until I made a resume website that went more in depth to my skills. For people in uni i suggest looking at the github student developer pack. It comes with a lot of free shit so you can host and launch a website.
>>
>Be 6' 2"
>Light brown hair
>Green eyes
>Handsome
The two times i went to an interview i got the job without having to answer any technical question. I'm actuality quite dumb and lazy too.
>>
>>53825348
Just say "Thank you but I don't think this job would be a good fit for me" or "I've decided to pursue other things at this time."

Basically be polite, but don't elaborate unless you want to.
>>
File: 1459103384632.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1459103384632.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>CS Degree.
>Sperg 3 technical interviews for C++ dev positions.
>Fuck it apply for some QA shit.
>Minimal tech questions
>Hired
>5 years later be a manager for a middle sized team.

Pay is great... I wanted to be a dev (I still do some minor programming stuff, like tools etc.) but I guess I should take whatever life handed me.
>>
is it worth it to look for internship/future jobs before i finish school? I'd like to have at least something, but i'm not sure if employers would even be interested in hiring me (with the potential future of being there fulltime) if my studies aren't finished yet(about 4 months from now).
>>
>>53811333
Race, sex, etc don't affect your ability to do a job. You having a disorder does.
>>
File: ebb.png (222 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
ebb.png
222 KB, 360x360
>>53802851
>behind of

I don't usually sperg about this like you "MUH AMERICA ARE BAD ENGLISH WHY IS SO DUMB YES YES?" folks, but since you faggots started it...

You don't seem to realize that in reality, you fuck up exactly as often as they do. It's just that Americans don't bother correcting people because everybody makes mistakes, and especially in the case of non-native speakers, because we understand that you haven't spoken the language as long as we have, so you get away with it and assume that your English is perfect because nobody ever corrects you. You then correct random people on their English and assume they're American. Please die.
>>
>>53829893
It's always worth it. Might not be a 1-1 mapping, but I remember spotting an advert for a full-time sysadmin position with x years of experience during my second year of university. I thought 'fuck it', contacted the company, saying I was a scumbag student in need of some exp. They brought me in for a couple of months during summer, because I sounded interesting and I sounded interested in what they did. They did a lot for me. You honestly never know what will happen. Totally do it.
>>
>>53830078
Are companies even interested in people like me? I know some stuff, but i have no experience. I've got a few unrelated certs(Microsoft stuff + some other things), so i'm not sure whether i'd be wanted. I'm eager to learn and pretty good with people(highly autistic but i can hide my power level), so i think i'd probably get in due to that.
>>
>>write algorithm that checks if 2 meetings overlap each other
>>wrote something that werks for 60% of cases
>>what about meetings that start at 11PM and end at 1 AM?
>>you don't attend them
I don't regret it because they moved their office to india like 2 months later
>>
>>53825954
is this real anon?
this fucking depresses me
>>
>>53830149
Look: you can learn skills on the job. That's expected, they know you don't know everything, and you'll pick things up as you go. What is even more important than knowing everything is being:
A) Friendly
B) Interesting
After all, they're going to be spending more time with you more than their fucking families.

I'm in my current position partly because the interviewer and I use the same distro (Xubuntu), and talked about the Raspberry Pi. We got on, and he saw that I'm passionate about this. That's hella important bro.
>>
>>53804074
>question about your ability to work in a group
>buzzfeed interview questions
I mean, I don't like group work either, but this is actual autism.
>>
>>53804074
Honestly, the best answer to that question is making sure they understand what to do via shadowing a team mate and seeing if they catch on at picking up slack or finding out what they're good at so you can delegate a task to them.

They might go for it. They might not. If they start being defiant or resistant, at least you've done your part. Give it about a week or two, check in but don't loom over them. There's only so much you can do for those people.

Though it's a gray area whether or not reporting them is the way to go. If they fuck up, it'll show.
>>
>>53830371
I'll look around for what is available, it'd be bomb. I just was not sure whether that is a possibility or not
>>
>>53819997
Underrated
>>
This thread is depressing as fuck. I'm 20 years old and I got my first and only job the same day I graduated high school. Walked right into a well known map and electronics company and told them I was interested in a manufacturing position. Was interviewed and hired on the spot, no effort at all.
>>
>>53831681
Must be a job with a high turnover rate if they hire you so fast.
>>
>>53796765
Dell Grad Job
>nail everything
>few jokes
>confident as fuck
>don't get the job

Workday internship:
>do Fibonacci
>fuck

Workday Graduate:
>front end job
>job spec says javascript, html5 css3
>go into interview, get asked JAVA questions and UML diagrams

Groupon Internship:
>"we are making our own language, define these core methods in pseudo"
>"create a stack class using only primitives"
>fucking failed as shit

God I failed so many interviews. The only thing that keeps my spirit up is that I'm getting these interview so must have something right on my CV
>>
>>53831723
Yeah, a lot of people don't make it past the first couple weeks. They either get bored to death and quit or they get fired for stupid shit like only showing up 3 days a week, barely being able to speak English, hotboxing their car on lunch break, etc. Affirmative action and EOE is a funny thing.
>>
>>53825213
>muh boogeymen
White male here, I have no problem getting jobs. You're might just be too autist
>>
>>53801425
What was the question?
>>
>>53820192
A good environment will have coworkers that care about you along with a manager. The HR "hag" asked this question to see if he could have the potential to be a positive influence within a team.
>>
>>53829409
Not sure if you're just trolling me but how did you came up with a good profile and was your job worth the salary, i mean for a fresh graduate ofcourse. My sister was a computer science graduate with 1.25 GPA (nearly 3.0 in america). The week after she post her credits online she got no less than 15 job offers. I just need to boost my confidense.
>>
>>53819968
>freetard
>Microsoft internship

It's going to be fun
>>
>>53802843
>I couldn't imagine him asking about virginity
because last rule in >>53800701
>>
>>53829729

Help me out here if you're still here brah.

I want to get into QA shit because I don't think I have the intuition to be a developer.

Tell me about the interview, your job responsibilities, and what I should know.
>>
has anyone here considered the NSA as a potential career? I'm checking out their scholarships and internships since I'll be entering college soon but the recruitment standards I'm reading make me feel inadequate.
>>
>>53833864
go for it but dont be surprised when you end up hanging from a noose
>>
>>53832347
He might come from a more PC culture than you do anon or you might have had better connections than him. It's hard to deny that plenty of media exists that dissuads and creates a stigma against hiring white men, he could be extremely disadvantaged especially if he doesn't have any work experience.

IMO, I don't think the USA has these problems.
>>
>>53834222
It's just a boogeyman in the US. A bunch of my friends work for large tech companies, and the women and minorities meme is overblown. The % of women and minorities hired is about the same as how many smart ones there were at your university. Meaning the most qualified person is hired for the job. All women I work with are smart and know their shit, and all the tumblr idiots went off to shitty startups.
>>
>>53832771
1.25 out of 4?

That is incredibly low. I'm struggling with 3.2 out of 4.

>>53834320
What if it's not a bogeyman outside of the US? What if I told you the last place I went to was at least 50% minorities and women, usually a mix of both with awkward clumps of Asian girls congregating and looking really nervous.

To be honest American self centeredness is astounding, you actually believe if problems don't exist in your country (or rather area) they don't exist anywhere, huh?
>>
>>53834462
Most major tech companies are in the US, so I don't really care.
>>
>>53830168
Gold.
>>
>>53834462
Im the guy you replied to, sorry don't really know much about american grading system but we used 1.0 as the highest.
>>
>>53834549
How does you get more than the maximum mark? Grading systems like that shit me, it's unfair on systems in which such things are impossible.
>>
File: 1458864002145.jpg (409 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1458864002145.jpg
409 KB, 680x680
>get email to schedule phone interview
>get call day of
>talk about projects i've done
>guy talks about the stuff they do
>i'm barely qualified
>asks me to rate myself 0-5 for each of his lists
>0 is no knowledge
>5 is invented/ contributed groundbreaking work to the field
>holy fuck
>i rate myself max 2 on everything except one as a 4.
>interview over. don't expect anything.
>get email two weeks later asking if i'm still interested and for my skype info
>suddenly realize they develop closed software
>dont reply
>get a second and third email
>5 years NEET
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.