[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tails removed .iso download links from their site because th
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: tail.png (44 KB, 968x456) Image search: [Google]
tail.png
44 KB, 968x456
Tails removed .iso download links from their site because they thought their users were too stupid to verify a gpg signature.

They replaced it with a browser extension that downloads it and does the verification for you (It tests a SHA256 hash of the binary which it downloads from the browser extension authors site instead of doing a gpg web of trust verification).

The author of the extension itself is Giorgio Maone who "is sorry for inserting obfuscated malware into NoScript, which let ads/scripts pass through tens of thousands of its users filters" and promises he wont do it again: https://archive.is/HFYjp https://adblockplus.org/blog/attention-noscript-users

Why is tails punishing its users (just because some people didn't bother to check a gpg sig)?

Why did they hire such an untrustworthy person for the job?

Why are they encouraging users to allow them code execution instead of just providing the .iso as a normal link? The alternative is to download it with bittorrent which exposes your IP to the swarm.
>>
Great move for enforcing sane verifying. NoScript has been in use in with TBB and Tails so if you are not trusting Maone, you can't trust Tails and you should stop there anyway.
>>
File: shbokjlc.jpeg.jpg (47 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
shbokjlc.jpeg.jpg
47 KB, 300x300
>>53795973
>>
File: nice_argument.jpg (463 KB, 1241x1241) Image search: [Google]
nice_argument.jpg
463 KB, 1241x1241
>>53796671
>>
>Tails
>not just using the superior Whonix+Qubes
>>
Why can't they use something normal like SHA-1?
>>
>>53796671
Go back to pol
>>
>>53797225
are you retarded or just stupid?
>>
>>53797655
I am SICK and TIRED of being told "hurr de durr go to pol bcuz I don't like ur opinions" Yeah, I go to /pol/, because I'm not going to be fooled by the BULLSHIT that FAGGOTS like you try to tell me. Either make me go back to /pol/ or fuck off
>>
>>53795803
>web of trust

falling for the meme
>>
File: 1458978156300.gif (973 KB, 256x186) Image search: [Google]
1458978156300.gif
973 KB, 256x186
>>53797677
>>
>>53797707
>le u haev autism may may
fuck off
>>
>>53795803
>https://adblockplus.org/blog/attention-noscript-users
Holy shit, why do people still use ABP or NoScript?

uBlock Origin and uMatrix all the way. None of these corporate backdoors and advertising for me.
>>
>>53795803
>or download and verify using bittorrent
>>
>>53795803
Spoof user agent.
It will let you dl then. downloaded yesterday without problems.
>>
>>53799370
Yeah, expose your IP to three letter agencies.
>>
>>53799445
>implying merely visiting the Tails site doesn't put you in a watchlist
>>
>>53795803
this is what happens when you make software that relies on begging to survive.
Fucking buy some proprietary software you fagget cheap fucks.
>>
File: 1448822173765.jpg (36 KB, 525x598) Image search: [Google]
1448822173765.jpg
36 KB, 525x598
>closed-source security software
>>
A-april Fools?
>>
>hacker takes over website
>replaces the links to a server with backdoored ISO and adds a new verification hash
>no one notices
>>
>>53800331
bad timing on my part, this is not a joke

you can verify it by downloading the ext. renaming it to .zip, unzipping it and inspecting the manifest files.
>>
Isn't this better?
This way you will have to use torrent if you want the ISO.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.