[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm finally making the switch from this garbage OS windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: linus.png (458 KB, 2000x2320) Image search: [Google]
linus.png
458 KB, 2000x2320
I'm finally making the switch from this garbage OS windows 8.1 to a Linux based operating system. I was thinking Fedora, but I'm not as knowledgeable on the topic. Suggestions?
>>
Windows 10
>>
>>53795600
>Suggestions?

keep your shit in /flt/ or /sqt/
>>
>>53795674
my b, ty
>>
>>53795600
Use linux mint or buy a mac
>>
>>53795623
Nice botnet
>>53795600
Did you use Linux before? It's a steep learning curve
>>
It gets slated but Ubuntu is a good place to start. There's a lot of support online if you have any issues and it's not too daunting.
>>
>>53795600
Make it easy on yourself and install mint dual boot to start. openSuse is also bretty noob friendly.
>>
>>53796364
get the fuck outta here bitch
>>
>>53795600
Stick with windows until 20 + w/e April when long time release of Ubuntu 16.04 is live.
>>
>>53796389(faggot)
No you.
>>
>>53796433
Keked - nice meme you made there, at least it's first time I see it (faggot) pretty creative.
>>
>>53795600
Fedoras fine to start with.
>>
>>53796885
Fedora is great but it can be kind of confusing to start with. Ubuntu is a good place to start.
>>
>>53795600
gentoo
>>
>>53796041
>steep learning curve

Depends on the distro surely? I've been on Ubuntu for a few months as a total beginner, and I'm already comfy.
>>
Ubuntu is great for beginners, fedora is kind of a pain if you don't know what you're doing. You can install the beta of ubuntu, because it will be released in a month it's already done for the most part. It would get you way more up to date packages than Fedora.
>>
>>53795600
I personally use gentoo, but Fedora is a great choice
>>
>>53795600
Stay on Ubuntu for a few months, then start discovering other DE's (like a week each) and see if you find home in any of them.
Then you should start testing new distros on VMs, like Debian, then Fedora, then Arch. Once you can get your Arch install to run, you already kinda know what you are doing and can decide what you want for yourself.
>>
*Tips Fedora*
>>
>>53795600
Debian
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.