[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just had a retro-fueled epiphany and for some reason I really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9
File: macplus.jpg (56 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
macplus.jpg
56 KB, 800x600
So I just had a retro-fueled epiphany and for some reason I really want a Macintosh Plus.

What is the collectible value of these things, /o/? Is it likely they will appreciate in value throughout the next decades? Would there be any practical purpose in having one around other than just being a neat collectible?
>>
>/o/
>>
>>53795274
>/o/
It doesn't even have wheels, anon.
>>
>>53795508
But it's a bicycle for the mind.
>>
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/sys/5495676139.html
>>
>>53795274
Probably more neat collectible. Unless you have a strong desire/need to run in their native element older applications that don't work on newer versions of the OS.
>>
>>53795274
>What is the collectible value of these things, /o/? Is it likely they will appreciate in value throughout the next decades?

Hard to say. The original 128K's are expensive as fuck. As more and more Pluses (and compact 9" B&W Macs in general) die the ones remaining may appreciate in value.

But I wouldn't treat it as an investment. You either want one for retro nostalgia or not.

>Would there be any practical purpose in having one around other than just being a neat collectible?

Not really. You could actually accomplish some "real work" in terms of word processing (for printed output if you have a printer that will work with it) and small spreadsheets. People actually did do shit with them back in the day. But it has practically no ability to get on the net and is so slow by today's standards that you would be using it just to use it. Its only real use is old games, HyperCard stacks, etc.

Decent condition with no external HD: $50-$100
Good condition with external HD: $100-$150

* MAKE SURE you get a Plus with the keyboard and mouse. They use proprietary connectors (not ADB) and are expensive as fuck by themselves.

* MAKE SURE the floppy drive works. There's no other good way to load software and if there's no HD, you can't even boot without a working floppy.

* You cannot create or use Plus floppies (400K or 800K) with most modern (kek) floppy drives. Only 1.4MB floppies can be read in a USB floppy attached to a modern Mac or PC. Keep in mind that this is going to make loading software a bitch unless you also have a slightly newer Mac with a 1.4MB floppy drive and/or Ethernet. That way you can get files on the intermediate Mac, and make 800K disks for the Plus. (Honestly, you will probably need an old but newer Mac for that purpose.)
>>
>>53795274
You're aware the CRT wasn't designed to last 40 years OP, right?
>>
>>53795274
>I really want a Macintosh Plus
Most people can't tell the difference between a Mac 128, 512, Plus or even a Classic.
Apple sold millions of these things. But the 128 is getting scarce and has collectors' value.
They usually come in those big Targus carry-bags loaded with floppies.
>>
>>53795532
Why is he pooping out a mouse?
>>
>>53795935

There is some really old 68K Mac software that will only run on a 9" B&W Mac.

With the exception of those titles you can damn near run anything on the last G4's that could boot OS 9.

And if you want maximum speed, most classic Mac software will run in the classic layer on the G5's. The G5's are fucking fast with old software. Like "why the fuck is Office from 2001 on my G5 kicking the shit out of Office 2016 on my core i7 with SSD?" fast. That said, OS 9 games run like shit in the classic layer.

If you want maximum classic Mac software with minimal investment I think a G4 that can boot OS 9 is a good bet.
>>
>>53796037

Yet they're still working.

>>53796073

He is Pajeet and he is on a street.
>>
>>53796032
The Plus has SCSI, so if you can find a working ZIP drive, that could be used to get files onto it. Or using a newer, old Mac, Appletalk network them.
>>
>>53795274
>So I just had a burrito-fueled epiphany and for some reason I really want to eat shit from my hands.

SMHTBHFAM
>>
>>53796143
>The Plus has SCSI, so if you can find a working ZIP drive, that could be used to get files onto it.

Damn, didn't think of that one. Nice.

>Or using a newer, old Mac, Appletalk network them.

If you can put together the networking equipment off eBay, yes. There may even be an Ethernet adapter for the Plus, which means you might be able to FTP with any modern computer.

But life will be more convenient with an intermediate Mac. If I didn't have any old Macs and wanted a Plus I don't think I would do it without also budgeting for a PowerPC PowerBook that has Ethernet and a floppy drive.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
About 50-150$ depending on condition and accessories and software.
>>
File: image.jpg (221 KB, 1000x747) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
221 KB, 1000x747
>>53796311
There's lots of neat video games you can play on system 6/7
>>
>>53796326
Used to have a Mac Plus, can confirm, has some pretty unique stuff.
>>
Mac pluses are shit common. $30-$150, depending on included peripherals. The cheaper version of the Plus is the Macintosh Classic.
It looks more modern but spec wise it's the same machine with ADB and system 6 bootable from ROM. Those pieces of shit I would say are $20-50.
>>
>>53796143
>Or using a newer, old Mac, Appletalk network them.
idk if Linux can talk AppleTalk over serial, but if it can you can connect a PC serial port to an old Mac with the right adapter or a few bits of wire stuck into the right holes based on the pinout.

If it won't do AppleTalk, I've had success loading I forget what XMODEM program onto a classic Mac and then transferring files over serial using that since that's readily available for just about any OS.
>>
>>53795274
I have a Mac Plus, I think the kind with 1M RAM that was sent back to the factory to be upgraded from a previous model.

Sadly I haven't been able to use it since I don't have the weird pre-ADB keyboard and mouse it uses. I've got plenty of ADB ones, but nothing for this.
>>
>>53796326

I have a Mac Classic II myself, here are some games I had fun with, seriously some of them are suprisingly good.

Shufflepuck Cafe
Oids
Dark Castle
Glider Pro
Crystal Quest
>>
>>53795274
Mac Plusses are common as shit, but eBay resellers are really starting to lose touch of reality as of late, they are beginning to sell for over $200. Grab one while you can.
>>
>MUH GAEMS

I want mactoddlers to leave.
>>
I don't understand the love anybody has for super obsolete technology. My memories of every PC I had prior to 2005 were filled with frustration over how slow shit was. In fact, in 2005 I was SO upset with how shit things were with Windows and PC's that I became a macfag for a few years, I still have my G4 Mac Mini. I converted back to a PC guy back in 2008 when I built my Core2Duo gaming PC and shit has been good again ever since. Any cpu's older than a Core2Duo are complete fucking trash. To be honest, Core2Duo still holds up fantastically today for everyday purposes, if anything I'm just going to be "nostalgic" for it even though my current i5 machine is way better at multi-tasking.
>>
>>53796584

Because PC's don't have any soul to begin with. That's like trying to get excited or be nostalgic for you favorite type of blank white paper.

Computers decades ago had style, uniqueness, a certain feel. Old Apple, Commodore, Atari, Sinclair, Acorn.
>>
I wanna rip out its guts and hook up some laptop innards to the CRT in one. Doable?
>>
>>53796665
>computers
>soul

Spotted the mactoddler shill.
>>
>>53796037
CRTs primarily degrade with usage hours, not age. A 40 year old CRT that has been used for only a thousand hours will generally be in better shape than a 10 year old CRT that was used for ten thousand hours.

Old computers were often used very little and I bet many of them still have like-new CRTs. Other components like capacitors, on the other hand, degrade with age rather than usage and can easily cause problems after a few decades.
>>
>>53796471
>Glider Pro
>Crystal Quest

Old fag here - spent so much time playing those as a kid LOL.

>>53796584
>I don't understand the love anybody has for super obsolete technology.

They worked with it, played with it as kids, or just appreciate what the tech represented for the time. I would play with a fucking ENIAC if I could just simply because of what it meant to the future of computing.

>My memories of every PC I had prior to 2005 were filled with frustration over how slow shit was.

A) You had shit PCs.

B) Old Macs can be surprisingly fast at some tasks because the programmers were not Pajeet's, worked in C, and optimized their code for the architecture.
>>
File: page622_1.jpg (43 KB, 529x360) Image search: [Google]
page622_1.jpg
43 KB, 529x360
>>53796709
>my generic clone box PC is generic
>therefore all computers are generic and i'll call someone a "mac toddler"

If you don't think pic related has soul then you are dead inside.
>>
>>53796762
>Old Macs
>surprisingly fast

Old macs where massive piles of shit that would quack loop and bomb crash if you breathed on them wrong.
>>
>>53795274
Vintage macs in great shape can fetch a pretty penny. I have a 128k Mac from 1984 that belonged to my Grandmother. Might have been used 15-20 times. Its in excellent condition and she saved all the boxes, manuals, and literature in her attic. I could have sold it for well over $10,000 after Jobs died, but I would rather keep it.
>>
I'd recommend an SE/30 or Classic because they use more common ADB input devices and 1.44 MB diskettes. Same classic form factor.
>>
>>53796992
Did the SE/30 play a starup chime or just the flat tone that the 128k had?
>>
>>53795274
generally about $100. little less if it doesnt include kb/ mouse, can start going much higher if lots of stuff is included, $200-$300
>>
>>53796827
Because you're trying to run System 7.5 on a pre-68030 mac. System 6.0.8 is blazing fast and rock solid.
>>
>>53796311
>power computing
id actually like to get a power tower 604, or maybe even a powerbase 603
>>
And if you don't care about form factor and might want to use a different monitor or install an upgrade card with Ethernet or something, a II series or "pizza box" LC could be fun too. I used to have an LC III with Ethernet, ran Netscape 2 on a 12" crt.

>>53797022
Definitely the chime, I used to have one as a kid. Fun fact about the SE/30, you could get a 68040 upgrade card with Ethernet. Used to have one, still regret getting rid of it.
>>
File: 1452719282040.png (30 KB, 749x260) Image search: [Google]
1452719282040.png
30 KB, 749x260
>>53795274
>buy one from my friend for 5$ a decade ago in high school
>had simcity on it
>fuck around with it for a while
>decide to take the fucker apart for shits and giggles
>get to what looks like an electric motor, unscrew it and start pulling
>it won't come out, start pulling harder
>it rips out and what looks like a metallic band comes with it
>fuck

I always assumed it was the HDD but I'm not really sure what that was.
>>
>>53796827
>Old macs where massive piles of shit that would quack loop and bomb crash if you breathed on them wrong.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-effect-of-bloatware-a-1986-mac-plus-beats-a-2007-amd-dual-core-pc/

Have fun eating your words fag.
>>
>>53795274
Amigas are superior to that piece of trash
>>
>>53797435
Please don't start, you'll trigger flashbacks for those of us who fought in the Platform Wars.
>>
>>53797435
I like how Amiga and Atari ST fags will go berserk when I tell them I like both and own many of models of both, fixed up and upgraded, ready to use.
>>
File: 1459271125617.png (1 MB, 1300x4704) Image search: [Google]
1459271125617.png
1 MB, 1300x4704
>>53797329
Yes, bloatware, thats the problem with all kinds of software today, way back you had to program your shit to work with the little they had, also no memory management etc. Today shit like Visual Basic etc...man.
>>
>>53795274
I've seen Mac Plus go anywhere from $30 (non working) to $1,000 because "it's rare".
I want a broken one for an ITX build though
>>
Couple years back I found a Mac Plus at Goodwill. Opened, but in the box with all of its package components, some still unwrapped. Kind of wished I bought it, though I would've had no space to store it. Could've been worth some bank today, and when I went back to the store the following week, the fucktards who shop there had picked the thing apart. Not so much someone came and cherry picked pieces, rather the contents of the box was scattered about the store.
>>
>>53797329
>>53797646
They booted up quicker than modern PCs partly because of bloatware, but in great part because they had lower level parts of their OS in ROM. ROM is instantly usable whereas a modern PC has to load all that from disk into RAM. Similar reason to why modern game consoles have long loading screens while an old N64 has none at all.

Modern Macs of course abandoned all that and went the PC way, loading everything from disk with a fairly normal EFI.
>>
>>53799025
Not talking just about Mac's
Ataris, Amigas, the list goes on.
>>
File: i1HV1lW.jpg (306 KB, 797x1200) Image search: [Google]
i1HV1lW.jpg
306 KB, 797x1200
Still working on the rearrangement, but I have a Mac Classic going in place of the Quadra 605.

Honestly, when it comes to the Mac Plus, you have to think hard about what you want it for. Do you want it for the 68k? There's much better out there to choose from. Do you want it for the Classic OS environment without compromising hardware style? A Mac Classic has the same spec, but lets you run more, options both hardware and software (ADB peripherals, higher OS). Do you like it for the aesthetic? You picked a mighty fine box.

In any case. Classic Macintoshes are a slick conversation piece for sure. Enjoy!
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.