[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kodi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 11
File: image.png (486 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.png
486 KB, 1280x720
What exactly is this?

People are telling me they're watching TV, shows, movies even batman vs superman on this shit.
>>
Just some Multimedia Interface Software, that you can slam on every system. idk
>>
Shitty Leenax MEdia CentER

Shilled for muh guification

most probalby just another BotNET
>>
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=kodi
>>
>>53791908
it's a media center, formerly known as xbmc, formerly known as xbox media center

there are plugins that remove all thought from pirating, you just select the thing you want to watch and it scrapes various sites of questionable legality to find it for you, which you would know if you spent 5 seconds on google
>>
>>53792043

...is shit
>>
>>53792055
>>53792027
So how the fuck is it being used for TV and movies and shit? Are they being disingenuous or do they not understand what they're doing and just watching downloaded content through it?
>>
>>53792055
fucking dumbass
>>
>>53792074
streaming plugins
>>
>>53792067
I did spend half an hour on google but I didn't understand how it's used to watch tv and shit, I still don't, how does that even work? Isn't the quality ass?

It sounds like an invitation for malware as well
>>
>>53792074
illicit plugins (the more popular the more likely they are to be shut down) and downloaded content (from private trackers)
>>
>>53792089
Kodi itself isn't malware. You should always know exactly what the plugins you download will do.
>>
kodi.tv

If you want addons just ask and I will provide.
>>
>>53792089
it's library software

a valuable addition to the htpc lifestyle
>>
>>53792097
So are you streaming the file from a torrent? So instead of downloading it then viewing it you're just watching as its downloading?

This doesn't sound reliable, or like it would work well.

I also assume you'd want a VPN considering how dodgy this is?
>>
>>53792125
YOU USE IT TO WATCH YOUR OWN DOWNLOADS

WITH METADATA 'n' SHIT

YOU DENSE MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>53792109
I get that the program isn't malware but if it's pulling different sources for the video on the fly and streaming it that sounds extremely dangerous.
>>
>>53792138
I'm not dense but the way you're describing it makes it sound just like vlc or any other program of that nature, the people I spoke to about this made it sound like Kodi was some 1337 replacement to Netflix, movie rentals, downloads, and television.

It is why I came here for clarification after I didn't understand the program from around half an hour of Google searching.
>>
>>53792166
it is netflix for your own media
>>
>>53792179
So it's a fancy gui for shit I already have downloaded? What's the big fucking deal then?

Other anons talking about "streaming plugins" sounds more like what people are talking about who told me about this.
>>
>>53792192
>What's the big fucking deal then?
it looks nice on your tv instead of your putrid anime pit

you dense motherfucker
>>
File: chrome_2016-03-31_15-19-24.jpg (429 KB, 1920x1050) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-03-31_15-19-24.jpg
429 KB, 1920x1050
>>53792125
>So are you streaming the file from a torrent?
No. You tell Kodi "this is a directory where content will be". You download the torrent to that directory with a torrent client. Kodi notices it's there and creates an entry for it in its database, fetches metadata. Then you open a web browser and go to http://my.ip.address.com/something and Kodi shows you the thing you downloaded with a pretty interface.

Or at least this is how Plex works, which is a proprietary implementation of Kodi.

Pic related is what my movie library looks like with Plex. All of these files are on my hard drive. If I want, I can go to my living room, turn on my Roku, open the Plex app, and stream them from my PC on the TV (Plex will transcode them). I can also open Plex on my phone and have my music library streamed wherever I get a data connection.
>>
>>53792112
tell us about your addons anon
>>
>>53792223
I use Emby: it picks up more metadata like cast members & directors, and I'm a sucker for that shit.

Cheaper & open-source, too.
>>
Google kodi exodus
>>
>>53792192
Yea that guys being an asshole, it's the plugins like popcorn time that allow streamlined pirating.
>>
>>53792140
Theoretically, if it's perfectly designed and implemented, there should be no security risk because it's a fucking video stream. But of course, humans aren't perfect, so security issues arise.
>>
>>53792223
But I still need the things I am watching to be stored on a hard drive? My hard drive?
>>
>>53792089

Dude, when something is shilled so hard,
You know it's a trap and if you fall for it,

They'll get your soul. Kodi Entertainment Centre
(Formerly XBMC) “the ultimate multimedia center”
XBMC stood for Xbox Media Center and werks with some TV tuner cards

grab the GLP audio video codecs, splat a millenial GUI over them

then botlognet to SRP.NU or SUPERREPO.ORG

and botnetted click on your fav addons

clever gullible goy (IT'S ALL GNU LICENSED L0L)

Feel free to provide collaborative documentation of Kodi®
>>
>>53792278
>multi scraper

Okay so I'm assuming this yanks the video file from different sources, pieces it together and then presents it to you in a stream?

This is what everyone's on about? The quality is good, works well and is malware safe?
>>
How is Kodi any different to Plex?
I know Plex is generally just a home server, but it allows subscriptions to stream movies/shows. Which one is better?
>>
>>53792375
They're fundamentally the same. Server stores LEGAL HOME MOVIE library, client serves contents to display.

Piracy plugins at your own risk of course
trust me im a dolphin
>>
>>53792354
It's not really being shilled, I have heard people talk about it and I got curious. I'm not sure how much of a need I have for it and I doubt the streaming apps are even legal but I am curious nonetheless.
>>
Only reason for it is Aeon MQ5 and Whitecream desu
>>
Kodi is God
>>
>>53792804
I prefer Boo Boo Benis, Junglepuss, and Quingleflim desu
>>
File: Like it.jpg (638 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Like it.jpg
638 KB, 2560x1440
I use Kodi only for organizing the metadata of files I have on my PC.
I don't use it for 'streaming' or some shit, or watching Internet TV.

I simply COULD NOT FIND some player with synopsis and details from IMDB and some nice poster list of the films - there simply was no good player (mpv or mpc-hc tier) with media library capabilities out there. Something like foobar2000 but for films, but nope couldn't find one.

I had hard time choosing WHAT to watch since I have nearly 400 films on two HDDs so I really needed some extra information instead of just boring ass filenames and browsing iMDB and writing the titles got annoying fast.

Kodi fills this little extra purpose with additional filter (by year/genre/director etc) and sorting options.

It's nice.
>>
>>53792125
Its main function is to be a media library that you can on your PC and supported devices. And, yes it can stream it from that and other sites using a multitude of plugins. Some are SD, some are H. It really depends on the tv series/movies that you're after. Obviously, it will be more reliable links to find SD quality videos because it requires less bandwidth.
>>
>>53792880
Kodi is for p1r4t3s
>>
File: library.jpg (624 KB, 1919x766) Image search: [Google]
library.jpg
624 KB, 1919x766
>>53792880
And that's why you write your own.
>>
>>53792944
Holy shit that is exactly what I was fucking looking for so long.
>>
>>53791908
its a popcorn time wanabe
>>
I like being able to beam movies to my big-ass TV without any wires at all. It all goes through the Chromecast; it's space-age-tier shit.
>>
>>53792223
>50 shades of grey
anon..
>>
>>53791908
It would be great if Kodi allowed MPV as a backend one day.
>>
>>53792354
>XBMC stood for Xbox Media Center and werks with some TV tuner cards
Works with any tv tuner that has Linux support.
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Device_Information
>>
>>537919
Don't talk about it.
>>
>>53793005
You can already do that.
>>
>>53792957
This thing has been out for over 10 years wtf are you talking about
>>
>>53793005
You can use external player as the main player in Kodi.

Just edit playerfactory.xml
>>
>>53793081
this is a troll thread in case you didnt notice senpai
>>
>>53792375
Plex and Kodi can be used as a media player on your PC, like MPC, VLC, Potplayer etc. But it looks much prettier and has more functions. For example, it has TV/movie info about cast and crew. You can click an actor's name and it shows all the movies they've starred in. From that, it can show you which tv shows/movies have a local copy of. It's a legit database.

Plex is like Opera, braindead easy as fuck to setup. For example, to stream from a PC that has all your video files to your other devices, whether it's local, remote and internet. It comes with a good all-round set of functions. It's not free on Android/iOS devices. It's limited to 1 minute playback (kek). For full functionality, it think it's $5 a month or $150 for a lifetime license on all devices/OS that are supported.

Kodi is like Firefox, it has a boatload of plugins that can extend its functionality. It's not simple to set up when it comes to streaming from PC to devices. Free on most, if not all supported OS, including Android + iOS (needs jailbreak).

Not sure about this, but last time I checked Plex is supported by a lot of manufacturers. Like Smart TVs and media players (boxes).
>>
File: library1.jpg (346 KB, 1437x1259) Image search: [Google]
library1.jpg
346 KB, 1437x1259
>>53792955
I know right? I searched for so long i just decided to make it. Too bad it has enough problems to not be ready for release, but it's good enough for me to use, so i basically stopped working on it.
>>
Step #1: Install Kodi from kodi.tv

Step #2: Install Quasar to stream from torrents and Exodus to stream from http sources.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-pulsar-repo-setup-pulsar-for-xbmc/
https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-exodus-for-kodi/

Step #3 (optional): Install YATSE on your android phone to use as a remote control.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.leetzone.android.yatsewidgetfree
>>
>>53793146
Neat job anon. I hope you will release it someday or at least let it out to internet if someone else would do it.

I searched for ages to find foobar-tier medialibrary organized for films but I had to accept Kodi as the best one yet.

Could I have a link to it?

[email protected]

I promise not to spread it publicly.
>>
anyone who has a raspberry pi and nothing to do with it, get fucking OSMC
I know there is a big hate on streaming here but since I live in cuckmany and I don't want to get fucked by 10 kike companys in the ass for torrenting, this is the BEST way to watch movies for me
>>
>>53792089
>Isn't the quality ass?

No, the quality is very good, although I don't have a 4k TV or anything like that.
>>
>>53792276
Kodi is also FOSS. Also with Kodi you can stream using plugins. I love it.
>>
>>53792368
Quality is good, it works well, not too sure about the malware thing though. I run it on a dedicated multimedia machine though.
>>
>>53793152
Is there a malware risk using this?
>>
>>53793288
Go and try it in a virtual machine.
>>
>>53793288
No.

Everything on seo-michael.co.uk is clean. You can follow any of his tutorials for other plugins if you want them.
>>
>>53793296
I don't have one setup and no reason to, I could but I'd prefer not to set it up for this. It would be easier for me to just download through my VPN if I was to do that.
>>
>>53793187
Sending now fellow anon
>>
>>53793314
Do you choose the torrent it streams from or does it pick multiples or random ones? Couldn't the torrents themselves pose a risk or how does that work?
>>
>it's a one anon who hates kodi for some reason makes a thread about it and pretends to be a moron episode
That time of the week already huh?
>>
>>53793323
You can choose the torrent manually or allow it to choose a torrent automatically.

If you choose to play an episode directly it will search for single episode torrents. If you use the search you can play episodes from full season or series packs.

You can configure Quasar to use a torrent proxy. You can also use a VPN. I just use a proxy because VPN is way overkill for torrenting and it's cheaper to buy a premium proxy than a premium VPN.
>>
>>53793321
Do you use letterboxd per chance?

and you need to send a download link, I don't think throwawaymail supports files
>>
>>53793323
> I have no idea how any of this works.
>That means it will probably give me a virus.

Hi mom
>>
>>53793318
I don't stream anything.

I use a Kodi HTPC (OpenELEC) to play my downloaded media on my TV. And I use Yatse remote to control it.

The organization is great. The remote control is great. The Trakt.tv addon to scrobble what I have watched to my trakt account is great.

I can't go back to dumb media players like MPC-HC after getting used to a full featured smart media center.
>>
>>53793321
why don you share with us all?
>>
All-in one media center. It indexes your local movies/pictures/music as well as allowing you to stream movies and tv shows online. You can customize the appearance and remove features that you don't need.
>>
THIS THREAD IS CANCER FILLED WITH IGNORANCE.

HERE'S ONE WHERE I GIVE YOU REAL ANSWERS

>>53793408
>>53793408
>>53793408
>>53793408
>>
File: LeTips.gif (2 MB, 335x258) Image search: [Google]
LeTips.gif
2 MB, 335x258
>>53792055
>>
>>53793321
Sorry, got your email but like I guessed - throwawaymail doesn't support files so I need a external download link.

Nice to see it works with Kodi though
>>
>>53793437
Shill shilling his shitty shill websites pls go
>>
>>53793371
I have PIA VPN so I would use that if I ever tried this
>>
>>53793459
>>53793426
Here you go:

https://u.pomf.is/paczvb.7z

I'll rewrite the email so you guys know it's me:
"Here you go anon, there's a readme folder in pScraper with some instructions.
The catalog software uses the same metadata as Kodi, so your library should work right away. pScraper also generates metadata in the Kodi format, so it will work with Kodi too.

The subtitle download is wonky at best, the catalog software is pretty slow since it basically searches your whole drive everytime instead of building a database, sometimes when you click on a link (actor name) it takes ages to download and the window gets behind the main one. Other than that there are some bugs, but it shouldn't in any way delete anything from the library. At worst it crashes or displays some error message, it happens sometimes when the xml file is not formatted correctly.

Requires .NET Framework 4, sorry about that."
>>
>>53793437
>let's create a subredd--- "general thread" because a normal thread isn't social networky enough

Go away.
>>
File: can confirm.jpg (152 KB, 1398x870) Image search: [Google]
can confirm.jpg
152 KB, 1398x870
>>53793541
I can confirm it's you.

Thanks anon. You didn't have letterboxd account for film diary?
>>
>>53793573
Trakt is better.

And with the trakt.tv addon for Kodi you can automatically scrobble everything you watch.
>>
>>53793573
Nope, it's the first time i've heard of it
>>
>>53793541
thanks
>>
>>53793594
It's a nice little film community with active review community (and surprisingly, good bunch of them are actually good reviewers). If you decide to make account link it here so I can add you.

Hopefully you'll pick up where you left with the program and that's why I was asking if you had lbxd account, so I could keep in touch about it lel
>>
File: Good.jpg (376 KB, 1375x754) Image search: [Google]
Good.jpg
376 KB, 1375x754
>>53793594
Doesn't seem to understand two different HDDs at once, I can either scrape one or the other HDD (I have 2x8TB), but it does it fast (I assume because of Kodi's files.

Fanart works, but poster art it seems unable to get. I assume because of release filenames.

If this was crash free I'd delete Kodi right now, hope you will continue developing this and make that lbxd account
>>
>>53793832
It's probably because the poster needs to be called "folder.jpg", try to copy a "poster.jpg" and renaming to folder.jpg to see if it works, otherwise i'll just change it, easy fix.
Two drives at once worked for me, you need to enter the two path like this "C:\;D:\"
>>
>>53793922
Make a sourceforge page or something so one can keep up2date with this
>>
>>53793832
Why would anyone prefer that shit over Kodi?

Do you watch things on your PC monitor while sitting in your computer chair?
>>
>>53793961
>sourceforge
completely haram

gitlab/github/bitbucket is the way to go (you can share a binary even if you dont want to share the code)
>>
>>53793832
Made an account on there, it's Phate.

>>53793961
yeah, i'll probably do that, that was actually my intention when i was making this thing. I'll probably get to it tomorrow.

If you guys want to email me for something: [email protected]

Mostly because i'm going to sleep now, work tomorrow.
>>
>>53793975
I don't care about Kodi's overblown graphics. I just need a good media library browser tool with good bunch of metadata like in that program and with a filter/sort option (Kodi has it)

I'll still stick with Kodi (crash-free, sort/filter options) but if anon picks it up the change won¨'t be hard for me.

and my PC is connected to 65" LG Oled :v)
>>
>>53794013
Added you in letterboxd, see you around
>>
File: man_thinking.jpg (54 KB, 613x574) Image search: [Google]
man_thinking.jpg
54 KB, 613x574
>>53792112
any addon that makes me watch the movies popcorn-time provides?
>>
>>53794026
The best thing about Kodi is it's support for remote control. With Yatse you can browse and filter your media on your phone and play it without getting up from the couch.

I can't imagine using a mouse and keyboard to choose what to watch. How plebeian.
>>
>>53794094
lol
>>
>>53794056
Quasar.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-pulsar-repo-setup-pulsar-for-xbmc/
>>
>>53794013
I also added you in letterbox if you get a random email asking about the scrapper it'll probably be me
>>
>>53794117
thanks family
>>
>>53792074
People in this thread are fucking retards that don't realize the true power of Kodi. It's not all about downloaded shit.

Step 1. Buy cheap DVB-S2, ATSC, and YPbPr input cards and some big hard drives.

Step 2. Setup TVHeadEnd and/or MythTV as a backend.

Step 2b. Setup NZBGet and usenet.

Step 3: Enjoy a centralized media experience throughout your whole home. Stream sports, local news, cable tv, DirecTV, C and K band FTA television, cracked PowerVU channels, downloaded movies and TV, and more, all on your laptop, desktop, tv, phone, etc.

Total investment is ~$300.
>>
>>53792166
with the right setup yes it can replace netflix, you can watch pretty much anything that's been out for over a day, and there are also plugins for streaming live tv if you want, but the beauty of it is that you can watch what you want when you want. and yes streaming is perfectly safe, it's just the same as netflix but you're using a different source
>>
>>53794150
>using traditional push TV
>using your HTPC for downloading

You're the only retard here, buddy.

Everyone who isn't retarded already has a home server that handles all their downloading and file sharing.

Kodi is for putting on a lightweight HTPC and playing back the media shared by your home server.
>>
>>53792334
no, asshat just doesn't know what he's talking about
>>
>>53793152
If you're going to use Torrents you might as well be using Popcorntime.
>>
>>53794265
"push tv"? what does that mean?

You're misunderstanding my comment because you're stupid. Never did i suggest that kodi would run on the machine with tuner cards and usenet downloading.

TVHeadEnd and MythTV allow you to have one centralized EPG containing all your channels-- from DirecTV (controlled via RS232 and captured via YPbPr) to ATSC over the air channels, to Ku Band and C band FTA sattelite and cracked sat channels. These programs also do IP streaming within your house-- which Kodi can handle with non-shady open-source plugins.

If you set this up, you can run Kodi on your phone, FireTV, etc. and have all this available to any device on your network. The Kodi device itself triggers downloading, but it isn't torrenting or downloading things itself-- which is in contrast to how almost all of the plugins on kodi work.
>>
>>53794417
popcorntime is malware tho senpai
>>
>>53793231
Where the fuck are yu streaming from?
>>
>>53794417
Or you could just use Quasar because it's superior to Popcorntime in every way.
>>
>>53794458
probably exodus, but really streaming from any of the addons yields great quality unless it's a new release movie and the only thing available is shitty cam version
>>
>>53794481
Like Netflix quality? Cause thats my bare minimum. What format/bitrate is the audio in?
>>
>>53794543
I'm not the one to ask for technical details but yes, I'd put it on par with or better than netflix quality wise, plus you don't have the regional content restrictions netflix does
>>
The problem with all this is that you spend hours upon hours of setting things up and searching for things and then you watch like 5 mins of video and never return.
>>
Last time I used it, it was clunky garbage with horrible video quality and over a third of the streams were dead.
>>
>>53794574
Hmm ill have to check it out, thanks anon. Probably wont ever use it, but nice to have.
>>
>>53794642
if you want to set it up the lazy way, head on over to tvaddons.ag and follow the guide there. basically you add a source, get a program from said source and the program downloads and configures a bunch of addons for you to have all the options in the world as far as what to watch
>>
Recommendations for a good kodi app for android?
>>
>>53795231
Yatse.
>>
>>53795267
truly the best
>>
>>53795267
From fdroid or play store?
>>
>>53794265
Why have separate machines when it can work on one? I'm setting up a home server with an old case and motherboard, there's plenty of room for a tuner card
>>
>>53792055
How the fuck do you even contract autism this severe?
>>
>>53795231
Kodi
>>
File: screenshot008.png (716 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
screenshot008.png
716 KB, 1280x1024
>>53795267
Genesis, Navix.
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.