[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Passthroughed GPU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 1457741909899.jpg (505 KB, 1280x2050) Image search: [Google]
1457741909899.jpg
505 KB, 1280x2050
I don't like rebooting to run winkek programs.

Those of you with passthroughed gpus, how does it run? Is the performance native or near native? How much work did it take to get working the way you wanted? What's the audio latency like?

Basically, is it worth the effort if I want to use it for gaymen and audio work? I already have a really nice environment on my linux install that I use for development, but linux doesn't support some gayms that I like and a lot of good audio software.
>>
>>53783753
link to stallman program pls
>>
>>53783772
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUJtMlEwd6Q
>>
>>53784045
Holy fuck. I had never heard his voice before. RMS is a fucking nerd.
>>
>>53784268
big surprise
>>
It's very near native performance.
>>
>>53784045
Much as I hate that fat fuck she's really ignorant on the subject

"How can I even breathe without a facebook account"

Bitch you were alive for years before it was a thing
>>
I would do it, but:

-I use a 21:9 monitor with HDMI/DP inputs
-I only have my iGPU and 1 dedicated graphics card
-Motherboard only has a D-Sub output

So unless I was willing to use linux with black bars as a main operating system I couldn't do this anyways
>>
>>53783753
going linux is like #nofap you'll eventually switch to windows. You're just testing how long you can endure bullshit
>>
>>53783753
>>53784045
I love seeing smug RMS
>>
>>53784904
Yeah I would suggest try hackintosh instead

It's fun
>>
>>53783753
>Those of you with passthroughed gpus, how does it run? Is the performance native or near native? How much work did it take to get working the way you wanted? What's the audio latency like?

My steamvr score is 8.1 with 4790 and r9 nano, so I guess it runs preddy gud. I love my setup. It's not that difficult anymore, net is full of guides and you dont even have to finger the pci stubs anymore. No latency on audio on any soundcard I've tested.

>Basically, is it worth the effort if I want to use it for gaymen and audio work? I already have a really nice environment on my linux install that I use for development, but linux doesn't support some gayms that I like and a lot of good audio software.

Can't tell if its worth to you, it was to me. I'm not probably going to run windows ever again on bare metal if I can help it.
>>
>>53784045
>Mere tap of a share button
/dead
>>
>>53784339
>>53785028
Thanks for the only two real answers in this thread.

I really hate windows, but to me the really bad part is that I have two isolated instances. It would be perfect if I could just have linux and then press my monitor input button and have windows, and that's what PCI passthrough seems to bring.

I guess I'll look into it this weekend, I had to reinstall windows so it broke my bootloader AGAIN so now I need to reinstall arch anyways. Would be a fun project to fiddle with. I never got it working last time I tried, but I tried when it was first starting to get some attention and was very undocumented.
>>
>>53785028
Which distro do you use?
>>
>>53783753
>so it's actually GNU+Linux
Lost.
>>
Our neighbours cat was found because a family friend shared the "missing"-flyer
>>
>>53786020
I've been debian guy for last five years pretty much extensively as I support multiple debian servers and workstations at work. So, I use debian testing.

I just checked, they've just updated debian wiki's article apparently on the matter

https://wiki.debian.org/VGAPassthrough

tell me first your hardware
>>
>>53784045
> stallman citing interject pasta
This. Is. Gold.
>>
I've tried this on and AMD system with a 990fxa UD3 and a hd4850 with a 7970 and the HDA sound passthroughed.
It was a pain, lots of stuttering, tried everything in that arch linux forum thread and there were still random stutters. VM was in a 4TB raid0, system on a SSD. Number crunching performance was near native, but who uses Windows for that.
>>
>>53786382
I've used this with i7-4790/hd7950 and experience was perfect. No any stuttering whatsoever. No sound glitches either. Just had to change cd-quality sound output to dvd quality on windows side and it was good.

>>53786289
>>53785028
>>
>tfw having an old i7 930 without vt-d
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.