[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's stopping me from buying like a 1.8 L C class mercedes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
What's stopping me from buying like a 1.8 L C class mercedes and then just 3D printing my own V8 AMG engine and putting it inside my car, saving like tens of thousnads of dollars by building it myself?
>>
Nothing
>>
>>53781266
...Do you understand how complicated an engine swap is, especially in a car so full of electronics as a modern Merc?
>>
> printing 3d metal

when did that happen
>>
>>53781266
>thinking you know anything about engineering
>thinking you can print a working engine block out of shitty plastic that won't melt and blow up shortly after
Jesus christ you csfags are dumb.
>>
>>53781281

mexicans in california do it all the time, it's not complicated
>>
File: 1385710202819.jpg (117 KB, 456x303) Image search: [Google]
1385710202819.jpg
117 KB, 456x303
>>53781301
Catch up with the rest of us nigger.
>>
>>53781321
Sure, throwing an engine into a shell and getting it to start is one thing. Getting everything else on the car to work is another.
Especially in modern cars, where there's massive amounts of electronics involved.
>>
>>53781301
for like over 20-30 years probably?
>>
>>53781301
>>53781327
>>53781451
3D printed metal is incredibly weak, you'd never be able to replicate a modern engine with it. casting and milling is the standard for a reason
>>
File: images(2).png (8 KB, 294x171) Image search: [Google]
images(2).png
8 KB, 294x171
>>53781266
>>
>>53781503
>3d printed metal is weak

Is that why stratasys prints metal airplane parts then? For over twenty years. You're a fucking teenage idiot.
>>
>>53781266
good luck getting the schematics and models for that AMG engine
>>
>>53781736
The type of setup you need for that costs millions of dollars. At that point you can probably just buy whatever kind of car you want.
>>
>>53781766
Just talking about the retarded post saying that the printed metal is weak, when in fact, it is not
>>
>>53781792
He does have a point in that 3d-printed metal is still weaker than equivalent cast/milled parts.
>>
>>53781266
>what's stopping me from...
metallurgy
>>
Mechanical Engineer here, that's a terrible idea.
Protip: if this were a good idea, it'd become standard practice.
>>
So, who's going to point out that Koenigsegg 3D printed a turbo with the rotating assembly inside? An engine is nothing compared to those tolerances.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.