[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/CCT/ Career and Cert Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: Network+.png (69 KB, 2111x1166) Image search: [Google]
Network+.png
69 KB, 2111x1166
What are you working towards? Need advice? Share your study resources!

Post it in here

If you've got a tech career:

>Job Title
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
>How did you find/get job
>Pay
>Location
>>
Technical Program Manager
3yrs
Ivy Physics/CS degree
$120k + stock + bonus
Seattle, WA
>>
>Network Associate
>4 years
> Apple ACMT, studying with ItProTV for Net+ and ACTC
>Found it through a friend, listed on Company's site
>$58k/yr
>Middle of nowhere Iowa
>>
File: 1458239308988.png (508 KB, 576x324) Image search: [Google]
1458239308988.png
508 KB, 576x324
>>53780874
I left my it job to work at trader joes because it payed better and has benefits.

college is bs
>>
I'm working towards a Microsoft CSP in Office 365 and Azure to sell and support MS cloud.
I'm studying chemistry and have only some barebones experience in programming and networking but I think there's good money to be made selling microshit products.
Someone has experience with Microsoft certs?
>>
>>53780874
I'm working on my network+ right now. Hoping to finish that and Security+ before fall so I can up my chances of getting an IT job after my current "job" ends and not end up at walmart.
>>
I want to work at a NOC, but I have zero IT experience other than some college coursework. What would be my best bet to get hired?
>>
>Job Title
Network Admin
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
Net+ Sec+, CCNA R&S
Contractor website
>Pay
131k (101k tax-free)
>Location
Bagram, Afghanistan
>>
>>53781502
man NOC jobs are fuckin sweet. I dont do shit all weekend long and get paid to do it
>>
>>53781813
Network Architect

6 Yeas Experience

CCIE R&S, CCNA Security

Recruiter

190k base + benefits + stock

DC Area
>>
Anybody here know any good free or cheap CCNA study resources? Everything I find is expensive as shit.
>>
>>53782104
piratebay.
>>
>>53781147
Enjoy your career as a M$ lackey.
>>
>>53781791
Certs are a joke, we'll look for your beheading on CNN.
>>
>>53782186
c.u.c.k.
>>
>>53781813
That's why I wanna work at one. I just wanna make a living not doing much of dick.
>>
Studying for CCNA, want to build a home lab. Here's what I'm buying:

3x 3750
3x 2811

Don't know what rack to buy. How do I power these switches/routers? Saw a power strip that can be mounted on a rack, don't know whats best. Want to be able to work on CCNP as well in the future. advice/mockery appreciated
>>
>>53782198
it's not like they're hard/expensive to get.
>>
>>53780874
Network Profesional Services
4 years
CCNP R&S, CCNA Sec, experiencie with telepresence, vmware, ASA and wireless. Studying for my CCIE and english course.
A very good friend recommed me the Job
$16K (I gain more money than 80% of my country)
North of México ( insert your racist joke here)

I need to emigrate, is very sad to see those salaries.
>>
>Job Title
Enterprise Architect
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
MCSE, MCITP, MCM, CCNA, CCNP, CEH
BA Philosophy
Interned at MSFT in college, worked my way up
>Pay
210K, 30% bonus, stock
>Location
Remote, Calif.-based company
>>
>>53782252
Shit ain't hard son. Plug them into a 5 dollar powerstrip for all it matters.
>>
>>53782252
For CCNA all you need is Packet Tracer or GNS3. If you plan on going CCNP, I would recommend a home lab but you can still probably get away with just using GNS3. If you really want to build a home lab for CCNA/CCNP I would go for 3550s just to save some money. 2811s are good routers for CCNA/CCNP. If you ever decide you want to attempt the CCIE you will probably need to drop 2 grand for your lab equipment. It's well worth it though. I went from a job making 130k to 180k annually just a month after I threw the CCIE tag on my resume and got a new job. Making over 300k / year now doing contracting.
>>
File: Wireless.png (39 KB, 356x198) Image search: [Google]
Wireless.png
39 KB, 356x198
Currently working on this.
>>
>>53782356
>>53782252
There is no necesary to buy any phisical hardware unless you make a track like a voice because you need PVDM or voice cards. You only need a really good computer with much ram. You can virtualize routers and Switches with GNS3 and IOU, or you can buy a license of cisco VIRL and virtualize 95% of the CCIE topics.

I can ask you something CCIE anon, Where Are you living?
>>
>>53782438
Northern Virginia
>>
>>53780874
>What are you working towards?
Apply/research risk theory in IT

>no job
>2 years of experience
>finishing bachelor in actuarial sciences
>Mexico City

I didn't know there was a thread for this, but I posted it here >>53775762
>>
.>>53782315
Not an american, but yes, you should. Those certs will get you a nice big salary
>>
How much money do I need for the CEH training?
I'm lacking experience in IT security, and I don't want to wait 2 years just to get through it.
>>
>>53782469
Im from México too, but what a research risk do?. Why you dont search a job like network enginner, I start my carrer with 0% of experience and Right now I do 25,000mxn per month. Good luck in your search.
>>
>>53782503
Thanks for the support but Im not fluent already. My idea is save money to study english in another country and search a job or get the CCIE. A ccie in México are paid like 30k per year and basically you are in the Medium-high class.
>>
>>53782560
Thanks anon

>Im from México too, but what a research risk do?
Basically you study the probability of something fucking up and how it can be measured so it can be assed. In this case I would stufy the probability of anything IT fucking up.

>Why you dont search a job like network enginner?
I'm an actuary not an engineer, I'm unsure about my theoretical background.
>No quiero meterle mano a la talacha, quiero ver como talachearle mejor
>>
>>53782664
You know my friend, I know People thats works in the network field and they are biologists, accountants, lawyer, etc.

Busca calidad de procesos porque ese es el campo de los riesgos, realmente no es ingeniería pura.
>>
>>53782624
Your English seems fine to me. Stuff like perfecting a language could also be done on the job, and you have the advantage of already having the technical skills.
>>
>>53782664
I guess you're right sometimes you end up doing something different from what your degree says. Basically that's what I want to do, to understand why and how IT can be fucked up; so again I think we're on the same tune.

Do you know where's a good place to start?
>>
>>53782821
In your field... I dont know because my field is very diferent. If you like to start in the network filed, try to study CCNA first and get a job. The first step in the network field is very Hard, dont lose the hope.
>>
>>53782965
Thanks anon, I'll try to be a /g/ood /g/odinez Good luck to you too
>>
>>53783001
Kek with that stereotype. Good luck too
>>
I'm majoring in computer science and have decent grades. I am graduating within the year and have not had any internships, I'm not sure how integral they are to gaining experience and obtaining a career in the future but I have peers that have don't have as good of grades as me and yet were able to get internships are some decent places, one of them being Amazon. I am just interested in knowing what is the hiring process like behind the scene for someone who is interested in doing software engineering/development?
>>
File: OcJhDsw.jpg (30 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
OcJhDsw.jpg
30 KB, 640x1136
>Job Title
Associate Technician
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
A+ and Net+
transferred from managed services to technical side (operating machines to fixing them)
>Pay
36k really hoping to find something with my certifications with a better salary elsewhere. Any suggestion on hot markets?
>Location
New England
>>
>>Job Title
Senior embedded software engineer
>>Years of Experience
>>Degrees/Certs
A+, I guess. Nothing recent
>>How did you find/get job
Networking
>>Pay
$240,000 USD/yr.
>>Location
Silicon Valley
>>
>>53783093
Love assembly (academic 8085 recently, and x86 since I was a kid), but my real non-hobby work is in C/C#.
PHP, JS, Java, blah blah...

I hate all that shit even though I do it because it's just so stupid (lots of things happening in the background without you knowing!) Yet my programs are performant and I try not to do stupid stuff that aren't cache-friendly or that fill the freaking stack with zillions of func calls. So what I'm interested in is low-level shit. I'm a reverse-engineering amateur (currently reading Secrets of Reverse Engineering, I know it's mediocre but it's a start) and can read and understand trivial small chunks of low-level.

Any advice on the road to Embedded Systems?
Or should I instead rather take networking as a side-bar to my high-level software dev? Advice/Mockery appreciated.

As for the OP:
>> Job Title
Software Engineer on a project that has many layers of different languages talking to each other (C/C#/JS)
>>Years of experience
>> Degrees/Certs
N/A
>>How did you find/get the job?
Friends.
>>Pay
.4k a month...
>>Location
Syria (yes people are still trying to study/work and pretty much live their lives here)
>>
>>53783379
>Syria (yes people are still trying to study/work and pretty much live their lives here)
/g/odspeed you anon, never back down
>>
>>53783423
Appreciate it, good sir. Likewise.
>>
>>53780913
do you need someone CCNA R/S and CCNA Security certified? im an engineering student at UW and am trying to get some comptia certs too. I could even do basic end user support too. Im just trying to get a job to help pay tuition man
>>
What brilliant open source project(s) should I make to attract employers? Serious question.
>>
>>53784699
Nevermind. I realize only I can answer that. Nobody would be stupid enough to help potential competition over the internet.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.