[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you fell for the electronic whiteboard meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
>tfw you fell for the electronic whiteboard meme
>>
I did though nazoid
>>
>>53780693
every school in the history of ever fell for this piece of shit terrible product
>>
>>53780693
It's actually great if your teacher knows how to use it well. Or else it's basically just an expensive power point displayer.
>>
except i didn't
also >>53781415
>>
>>53781208
>>53781415
both of these

I think it's mostly that the teachers are too lazy to figure them out so they stick to their traditional teaching ways - which is fine most of the time
>>
>>53781426
Talk like that is what kept schools from upgrading from transparency projectors to powerpoints since at least 2010
>>
>>53781454
Which is great.
Powerpoints are awful.

Most of the teachers who did transparencies wrote on the sheet, which worked well.

I had one teacher who used the tablet that came with the smart board to allow her to move around the room while drawing on the board, which actually worked quite well.
Same lessons as before with a white board, but now the view was completely unobstructed, and the teacher could just pace around the room while lecturing and writing.
>>
>>53781208
NY state was lobbied into buying them for schools, they didn't have a choice.
>>
i'm an IT support officer at a high school that fell for this meme

they're expensive to maintain
teachers hardly use them
the teachers that do make mistakes (luckily we've got AMX equipment and remote support on the computers - so I can set it up for them from my office if something goes wrong)

We've slowly been replacing them with touchscreen LCDs. Much better on maintenance. But I still don't see why they don't just use a whiteboard. Fuck even a vizualiser + LCD TV would work better
>>
They probably work great if the teacher is willing to learn how to use them, shit isn't that something if our teachers don't even enjoy learning themselves?
>>
>>53781504
Transparencies were also awful. Broken bulbs all the damn time. Foggy yellow backlight, etc.

Powerpoints are only awful because you can't really interact with them. But there are ways around that (they involve actually giving a shit about your work and making a good one)

Smartboards make it easier because you only really have to give half of a shit, and they also deprecate Expo markers.

Since smartboards also require a dedicated computer (they don't, but schools would find it easier to have one), this also means less fucking around with people's shitty VGA adapters.
>>
>>53781560
>Broken bulb
Problematic, but never affected me as a student
Sucks for maintenance though.
>Yellow tint
Eh, not a big problem
>>
>>53781530
Really? I guess that explains it then.
Literally only one teacher I ever had used it correctly. The rest just used out as a projector or not at all.

I guess it's pretty useful in the autistic classes though.
>>
>>53781553
There are more teachers than K-12. While K-12 should be ``obliged" to enjoy learning as to set a good example, higher education have more part-time lecturers that tend to be people from industry who really give no shits about anything.

That isn't to say that all of them give no shits, but most of them don't.
>>
In my final year of high school I had the only competent teacher to use one, my maths teacher

He would export his notes to PDF and put them up on the LMS at the end of each lesson, as well as jump back to previous slides, use the graphing tools properly, etc.

And he was a special case. He even caught me programming in class once and went on about how he used to write stuff in fortran and basic.
>>
>>53781586
Fair point.
>>
>>53780693
>tfw when I'm going to grad school for Instructional Technology
>tfw already getting interest from rich school districts
>tfw entry pay of $50,000 train their tech illiterate teachers how to use electronic whiteboards
>>
If this is a rich school district, sounds like you're getting paid less than median as a teacher
>>
I like it, because it taught teachers how to actually use powerpoint for non-garbage purposes.

I used to have a teacher who would still photocopy the same page over decades and when he shoved it into the projector it was entirely unreadable. By comparison, someone awkwardly learning XP to the class was a blessing
>>
File: frog suicide.gif (980 KB, 305x320) Image search: [Google]
frog suicide.gif
980 KB, 305x320
My 3rd world school blew around $25k in those whiteboards a while ago and now they're all stashed in a dark room collecting dust.
>>
I had a class in high school that was entirely copying notes off an overhead projector. All the teacher did was put on a new page of notes every couple minutes.
>>
>>53781780
Rich school district, never said rich state. I'll be getting $15,000 more a year than a first year teacher. In my state teachers get a yearly pay raise but they start out piss poor. Keep my nose clean and do good work and I could be a director of technology for a district one day, and make around $80,000.
>>
My university was really dumb when it tried to get on board with the electronic whiteboard.

They got the projectors, but the boards put up in front of them (as far as i can tell) are not in any way related to the projector and cannot be used to write into the computer or anything like the ones no one used at my secondary school.

but the worst thing is, this completely non interactive board cannot be written on with normal whiteboard markers, as they use their own proprietary marker technology which is apparently easier to wipe off... but my university doesn't supply the lecturers with these pens, so the largest whiteboard in the room which for an engineering lecture would be damn useful is always absolutely worthless. And looking these systems up each of them cost the university hundreds if not thousands of pounds, and there are hundreds of them spread through the buildings.

So all my lecturers use the same 4 rooms, as they have not yet been updated to these whiteboards, have transparencies, or digital versions which are pretty much the same thing but worse as they cannot seem to work out that light levels are or zoom.
>>
>>53780693
Honestly, all I've ever seen people use were PowerPoint stuff via beamer or just a blackboard. I've seen similar devices in some rooms, but I never saw anybody using them.
>>
>>53781560
>Powerpoints are only awful because you can't really interact with them. But there are ways around that (they involve actually giving a shit about your work and making a good one)

Powerpoint is also awful, because it mimics a non-digital medium - slides.
>>
What's the issue? My last two years of HS they had these and never had any problems
>>
>>53780693
This one in particular is fucking garbage. But back in 2008 our physics teacher had one simple board, using any projector, with just one pen, and it worked fucking great, especially shape correction. He used it because he had allergy to chalk.
>>
>>53785238
We had a teacher with a chalk allergy too, the school upgraded to normal whiteboards
>>
High school started installing these halfway through my time there, starting with the math classes. A few teachers gave a fuck, but all the others just used them exactly like a whiteboard even after receiving training. At least they could project Youtube videos when they wanted, instead of the TV carts.

Meanwhile the rest of the school was falling apart because they apparently couldn't spend the money on things we actually needed. They literally built the school in the 70's as a temporary location in tin can buildings and never closed it.
>>
Looking back, the lectures I enjoyed the most at uni simply used the blackboard.
>>
>>53781208
Aside from my second high school. We had no money.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.