[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is technological progress slowing down? Computers have been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: nr1.jpg (563 KB, 2791x3668) Image search: [Google]
nr1.jpg
563 KB, 2791x3668
Is technological progress slowing down?

Computers have been the fastest improving thing we've witnessed it the past 20 years but generally speaking we've had no major improvements elsewhere. Robotics is more or less the same, we still rely on fossil fuels, our military tech isn't too much better, planes, and cars haven't had a major improvement in at least 30 years.

Look at the 20th century the first half witnessed incredible improvement even with, heck, because of two major wars.
The second half merely was focused on improving the work of the first half.

By 2050 towards the end of my life (assuming I get to live that long) I don't really expect anything major to change in the way it did in the previous generations and that is depressing.

Also my picture is of a nuclear reactor for those of you wondering.
>>
>>53776584
>Is technological progress slowing down?
No

There has been more patents and inventions the last 10 years than the rest of recorded history.

Just take the latest advances in medicine alone, how many previously incurable diseases are we not today able successfully cure?
>>
>>53776584
>cars haven't had a major improvement in at least 30 years.
What are electric cars
>>
>>53776584
We've been focused on making things more efficient, rather than on making new things.
Our progress in improving today's processors, storage, and energy management are frankly amazing, as is today's energy efficiency with vehicles.

We just aren't researching any super high risk projects openly anymore.
>>
>>53776584
Cherenkov radiation i know that picture anywhere
>>
>>53776584

All technological change is in tiny increments which appear to have been a "break through" in hindsight once it becomes norm.

People during the renaissance thought the same thing.
>>
File: nr.jpg (137 KB, 1280x851) Image search: [Google]
nr.jpg
137 KB, 1280x851
>>
>>53776584

It seems that way because of where you stand economically.

If you were a billionaire you'd be getting amazing new inventions to play with every day and would have a totally different opinion.

However because you aren't, the only tech you benefit from is that which has been optimized for mass production. And that takes a long time.

Cars, telephony, even electricity went through periods where they were only being used by the wealthy and the elite of society.

There are absolutely technologies that are being used by current elites that you cannot get your hands on.
And perhaps even more so that we could never know about, being developed by military interests.
>>
>>53776650
Tbh, the electric car movemnet was slowed by GM for nearly a decade
>>
> welfare cucks white engineers into starvation
> no new world-war threats to make defense spending a thing

what did you think would happen? when we had a good economy because of reagan, we could afford science research. now everything just goes to feed ugly mexicans and niggers, and we have no money left over for actual science.
>>
>>53776823
True
>>
>>53776584
idgaf people need to netflix and chill

>>53776628
and more patent trolls

>>53776650
define "improvement"

>>53776824
tripfag idiot
>>
I'm guessing by 2050 we'll be living cleaner, as in, we won't be raping the earth's ecosystem as much. Poverty will be a thing of the past, everything will be easier to get, there will be so much race-mixing that racism will be almost extinct, tech will be helping nature instead of killing it. Apple will be bankrupt as android will have become the baby os by then, we (as in powerusers) will be using /g/inux (/g/ linux) on every device as everything will be cross-platform there will be /v/-tier threads on /g/ (which'll be a site by then as /b/ has spread all over 4chan). /g/ will have become so popular we'll be a world power, our own places to chill, our own schools, our own devices and our very own 4chan remembrance graveyard were we assemble to mourn the fall of 4chan every 29th of February. Syria will be /b/, the asshole of the world, Turkey will be tasked with keeping /b/ down, Russia will have moved over to Mars because Putin's son has such a superiority complex that he wants a whole planet to tyrannise.
>>
>>53776879
>define "improvement"
As in a fucking car that runs on a battery
>>
>>53776900

That sounds waaaay too optimistic we thought the same thing about the year 2000 in the 70's
>>
>>53776584

Have you tried Oculus?

It'll be the biggest thing to happen in consumer tech in your lifetime.
>>
>>53776929
But we did live a lot better in the 2000s than in the 70s.

I mean life expectancy now in the western world is, what, 86 something years?

In the 70s it was somewhere around 23.
>>
Shit like Hololens, Oculus, conversational UXs, electric cars are all pretty incredible
>>
>>53776960

You're still not accounting for approaching resource shortage's because of population increase.

India's water crisis is a good example.

This will be exacerbated by climate change, which is real regardless of what people think the cause is.
>>
>>53776900
>we won't be raping the earth's ecosystem as much
Maybe.
>Poverty will be a thing of the past
The middle class has been lost and the difference between the higher and lower class is higher than ever and still increasing. So long as Humanity is Human, poverty will forever exist, unless you have infinite resources in your ass waiting to spring up.
>there will be so much race-mixing that racism will be almost extinct
Chinese, Indians, Muslims and South Americans are racist as fucks. Blacks are perpetrating genocides on tribal level, Not to speak of racial level if they ever had the power.
The only ones acting "not racist" are white people. The rest of the world doesn't give a fuck.
China is over 90% Han Chinese.
India hates with China and Muslims and vice versa.
Latinos are pretty negative towards blacks.
Arabs see blacks as slave labor.
These are the fastest growing populations, that prove racism will be fine and dandy well into the future. Also individualism demands the existence of racism.
>Apple will be bankrupt as android will have become the baby os by then
Apple may become bankrupt, or it may see another Steve Jobs rising. We don't know.
>>
>>53777068

This guy gets it.
>>
>>53777068
>resource shortage
There is no shortage. I mean, the average Americans eat food for five people every day.

The Indian water crisis is their own fault for fucking polluting everywhere. Same with China.
>>
>>53776689
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRWbIoIR04c
>>
>>53776584
History shows us that technological progress is driven by wars. Big wars. World Wars. So, do the math...
>>
>>53777792
>History shows us that technological progress is driven by wars. Big wars. World Wars. So, do the math...
There have been exactly two world wars in all our history. How does this square with your theory?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.