[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to program a simple desktop application for Windows and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: the one.png (1 MB, 1596x656) Image search: [Google]
the one.png
1 MB, 1596x656
I want to program a simple desktop application for Windows and Linux.

What's the best program language to use? C++?

Can Linux execute a program written in C#?
>>
>>53774760
Visual Basic
>>
>>53774760
Try Qt toolkit (with Qt Widgets). It's quite easy to write applications in C++ using this and possible to deploy to Windoze using Mingw.
C#? what's that?
>>
>>53774760
>Can Linux execute a program written in C#?

With mono, yes
>>
>>53774760
C# isn't designed to be cross-platform.

Go with Qt (C++ framework) or Java (which by design is cross platform).
>>
It depends what kind of program it is, and who will be using it. I made a simple app used by myself just for fun, and for that I recommend Python with tkinter, it's very easy to use, made the same program in C++ and qt in 100 lines, Python in 20 lines, plus Python is already installed on linux, so no dragging around dependencies. If you want something different try Electron with JavaScript. Nobody uses C++ anymore.
>>
OP here

Well Visual Studio won't let me create a Win Forms application for C++, only C#.

I just want this to run on Linux natively without having to install something else to run it.
>>
>>53776059
>C# isn't cross platform
>Java is cross platform
wew lad
>>
>>53776606
QT is probably your best bet if you need a cross platform GUI. either that or just jam webkit into your app and write the UI in HTML+javascript
>>
>>53776631
>what is CLR
>what is JVM
wew
lad
>>
>>53774780
Low tier bait,
>>
>>53776167
>nobody uses c++ anymore
Except for people who actually know how to program
>>
C++ is a good choice for multiplatform desktop application development.

C# with something like gtk# is also good. Yes it runs on Linux, although you can't use WPF. You will need to have the user download some dependencies -- either mono or .NET core, and whatever GUI framework you using.
>>
Common lisp with qt bindings duh
>>
>>53774760

I'd pick Java. (have programmed under Linux with C++ for years) I've just done a couple quick and dirty apps that talk to hardware on both windows and linux. I used the latest netbeans with jdk and used the javaFX scene builder from gluon.

Very, very simple to adapt to the language, and get the apps working. The speed of the apps (both do graphing of experimental data) is just fine.

I don't particularly like the Java language, but it is serviceable, cross-platform, well supported, lots of documentation is out there, and oh-my-god there are a lot of libraries around if you just want to use it as a glue language.

I normally just use emacs, but the netbeans installers left me with identical workable environments under both windows and linux. The scenebuilder also installed painlessly both places and integrated itself into netbeans. Double click on the FXML and up pops the gui widget editor.
>>
>>53782999
Qt costs money, so I downloaded Eclipse + Window Builder for Java.

Is there no other way to make cross platform GUI with C++, C#, Python, Ruby, that won't be a clusterfuck to deal with or have the Linux user install windows dependencies?
>>
>>53774760
Make a chrome app.
>>
If I build a Java application, does the user need Java installed to run it?
>>
>>53774760
prob java but if you're not too bad a programming C++. if no exp python would be your best chance.
>>
>>53774760
>What's the best program language to use?
Literally any that can compile to Linux
>C++?
Sure, why not? I'd recommend using Qt if you go with it.
>Can Linux execute a program written in C#?
Yes

>>53775598
Or with the new core thing

>>53776059
>C# isn't designed to be cross-platform.
You should inform yourself better.

>>53776606
C++ and Qt then

>>53784992
>Qt costs money
Only if you get the enterprise licence

>>53785024
They'll need the JRE
>>
>>53784992

I have a friend that used and liked c++ with wxwidgets, which is cross platform. You could use gcc both places -> mingw under windows.

If c++ you could always have a different gui implementation per platform. Ie. instantiate a Win32Gui class on windows and a XGui class under linux. This way you could use native toolkits on both platforms.
>>
>>53785024

There has got to be a brain dead way to integrate a JRE into an installer that is installed in parallel with the application, if a JRE is not already on the system.

I know I have seen installer.exe's that are written in Java themselves that use their own JRE just to install the software. This lets the installer be completely stand-alone.
>>
ITT: People who don't know what mono is
>>
>>53786396

I hope to avoid learning or depending on any sort of Microsoft based technologies anymore.

So If I want cross-platform and have to support their platform, personally I'm going Java.

Besides, while trying to be edgy you neglected to mention what toolkit OP should use with the 'fantastic' .net clone. I sort of doubt full Microsoft API's are available on Linux.

Besides Mono looks to be a better tool to migrate away from windows; OP is creating something new and can pick best in class (whatever that is).
>>
>>53774760
javafx
>>
>>53786678
Certainly OP can research mono if he is interested
>>
I've decided to go with Qt C++ for it's GUI builder.

That should run natively on Windows, OSX and Linux with no extra dependancies right?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.