[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virtual Reality VR
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: Rift.jpg (1 MB, 3360x2520) Image search: [Google]
Rift.jpg
1 MB, 3360x2520
The Oculus Rift teardown is out.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Oculus+Rift+CV1+Teardown/60612
>>
$600
>>
they say that they aren't making money per unit sold but /g/ isn't that absolute bullshit?
>>
No way am I buying that they're building that at cost. It's understandable they need to make some money for the R&D and acquisitions but be honest. That does not cost $600 to make.
>>
>>53774496

For starters, bear in mind that every Rift comes bundled with an Xbone controller. Also, remember the sensor.
>>
>>53774537
and a headset which is retarded
>>
>>53774537
Palmer said the Xbone controller "costs us almost nothing to add" I guess because of a partnership with Microsoft. It's more lies really.

I wonder why they skipped the camera breakdown as that's just as interesting.
>>
>>53774494
>they say that they aren't making money per unit sold but /g/ isn't that absolute bullshit?
It's entirely possible unless you just look at the cost of all the materials.
>>
>>53774496
Well now that they are a huge company with tons of employees, and have research costs built into it their 'at cost' price doubled
>>
>>53774573

I wouldn't be so quick to shit on the headset. We don't really know many specifics about what it is or what it does. It could be specifically geared toward positional audio somehow.

Not definitively saying it is, just saying that you shouldn't make rash judgments in cases like these, lest you risk looking like a rube later.
>>
>>53774629
It's probably just some Koss KSC75

What the hell is with this breakdown. There's so much more to learn here if they just went a little further.

Do the screens have no labeling on the back? I want to be able to confirm that it uses the same as the Vive and Samsung is making it.
>>
>>53774583
The Rift's "High Quality DAC"

http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=50429
>Low Cost USB Audio Controller PC Internet Phone

Tell me lies Palmer, Tell me lies.
>>
>>53773876
Who could've guessed, they are violently fucking people in the ass and lying about "almost no profit"

Even with R&D, this shit is barely worth 250 bucks.
>>
Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfZx_jthHM4
>>
>>53774618
bullshit R&D excuse expected, over half of this shit is R&D then
>>
>The most common repair, replacement of scratched lenses, requires complete disassembly
>7/10 repairability

Wut? Is that the score you get for not having glue?
>>
>>53774891
oh and what's the R&D? literally based around getting the highest resolution displays possible and the rest is some minor shit
>>
>>53775089
Come on now. Hybrid fresnels, low latency tracking and reprojection, low persistence screens with global refresh, etc

That stuff isn't minor.
>>
File: rift teardown.jpg (100 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
rift teardown.jpg
100 KB, 720x540
To be fair it's a bit more complicated than that ;)
>>
how is wearing the headset if you have problems reading anything up close,
anything that's like 1 palm in front of my face strains my eyes like fuck, I've given up books because of it
>>
>>53775450
The lenses focus to infinity so you're probably fine. The issues are more for nearsighted folks
>>
File: tumblr_mqcpjk0LVz1qgu2vjo1_1280.jpg (641 KB, 1271x1920) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mqcpjk0LVz1qgu2vjo1_1280.jpg
641 KB, 1271x1920
The whole project is basically pure R&D into making good parts and make them fit good together like the hybrid fresnel lense, low persistence display, timewarp, ergonomics, SDK for game engine implemenetation because something has to do the split eye differentiation to make the 3D effect work with this type of screen and optics.

The SDK converts the normal game screen to a more "round" screen for the optics to then again make square again.

This "roundness" is different between all types of mixes of screens and optics.

Also, Oculus has to pay much more for production compared to HTC which has its own factory.
>>
File: 1391482773512.jpg (87 KB, 320x314) Image search: [Google]
1391482773512.jpg
87 KB, 320x314
>>53775396
>more snap together plastics
>must be complicated
>>
>>53775498
But it's literally a screen right up your face, shouldn't that compensate for nearsightedness? Unless we're talking <-15 levels of nearsightedness at which point you're basically blind without any visual aid. I have -3 in both eyes and I can read a book 30 cm away from my eyes comfortably.
>>
File: 1261017894175.jpg (31 KB, 419x367) Image search: [Google]
1261017894175.jpg
31 KB, 419x367
>Tfw started experimenting with a VR platform in 2009
>used magnified contacts instead of lenses
>used projection instead of lcd screens
>quickly became too expensive to do alone
>couldnt fix eye fatigue problems
>laid off, couldnt afford
I wish i still perused this back then
>>
File: image[1].php.jpg (74 KB, 650x431) Image search: [Google]
image[1].php.jpg
74 KB, 650x431
>>53774471
1300$
>>
>>53774726
the thing is that it is realtively equilant to 1000$ audiophile dac's which are relabeled into their brand names
>>
This is why I'm glad that I refused to go along with their bullshit. I kept telling myself "it's ok, even if it costs more than the promised $300, I can still drop $400 or $500 on it" until they announced the $600 price tag. I somehow convinced myself I needed to waste $600 on one, but at the last moment, I said fuck no and closed the window. I'm not going near that shit again until I see it under $400.
>>
>>53774494
>they say that they aren't making money per unit sold
>they include an xbox controller and shit
If you took all the items separately then they probably aren't making a "profit." If you take the discounted rate they get the controller and shit then they're making a large profit.
>>
>>53774726
You'll find this piece in more "audiophile" products then you'd imagine. It's all snake oil.
>>
>>53776043
this is the gayestly put story I've ever read
>>
>>53775596
most of those parts are not snapped but rather mold injected
>>
>>53776140
at least he's not sheep
>>
>>53773876
How long until I can source all the parts on ebay/aliexpress and build it myself?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.