[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
THERE IS NO SALVATION http://engt co/21TKUsY
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_20160330-211817~2.png (530 KB, 1384x1097) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160330-211817~2.png
530 KB, 1384x1097
THERE IS NO SALVATION
http://engt co/21TKUsY
>>
I can't tell if this is EEE or if Canonical is the one coming out on top here.

I wonder if this is even legal with the GPL license and all.
>>
>>53772975
These are GNU tools, not linux tools. The people who wrote the article are tech illiterates.
>>
When you do this but had to skip a release to coddle shitty version checking your priorities are a little fucked.
>>
>>53773032
rms will not be happy about this at all.
>>
Good job Microsoft.
>>
File: 1434731074611.jpg (45 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1434731074611.jpg
45 KB, 240x240
> Linux command line tools
> Linux
> a kernel
>>
>>53772975
i still don't want your shitty OS microshit
>>
>>53773086
Why wouldn't RMS love GNU/Windows?

Once window users experience the ease and comfort of the GNU userland programs, they're sure to want to hear more about the glories of Free Software.
>>
So Canonical is making Ubuntu as a stand-alone operating system completely irrelevant by incorporating it into Windows.

Way to kill your own business.
>>
>>53773770
Open-source is glorious, as long as you never use GUIs.
That alone will delegate them to a niche.

But I'd love to see a future where the command line is seen as more of a viable tool even for advanced normies, instead of an obscure hacker thing.
>>
>>53773679
linux isnt corn u retard
>>
fuck windows man
>>
File: one_with_the_universe.jpg (408 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
one_with_the_universe.jpg
408 KB, 1920x1080
I'm a pleb

Why is it bad ?
>>
Well I'm just glad there is a big reason to hate on Canonical again!
>>
>>53773679
Yeah, but does it come with the LINUX COMMANDS like grep and find? :^)
>>
>>53772975
>>53772975
NO WM
NO FLEXIBILITY
INTO THE TRASH
>>
>>53773770
A couple of reasons.

Windows does nothing to protect your freedoms, the OS itself is proprietary, Microsoft is hostile to FOSS, the drivers are proprietary.

Microsoft is using Ubuntu which is not very different from Windows in that it allows users to install proprietary software and I believe it ships with proprietary software.

The people that are reporting on this keep claiming bash and other utilities are part of linux when they're a part of the GNU userland.
>>
This is like if Playstation helped MS make PS4 compatibility in the Xbox One without getting anything back from it.

Why the fuck would they destroy any reason of having the operating system in the first place? Are Canonical retarded?
>>
>>53774005
Canonical might be thinking MS will just acquire them at some point out of desperation.
>>
>>53774005
>>53774113

Shuttleworth's Thawtebucks must be running out.

Shame, if MS 10 didn't have the adcrap and spying telemetry I'd actually be pretty happy with it.
>>
>>53773908
Those are GNU tools.
>>
>>53773908
>wintards thought GNU/Linux was a meme
Enjoy your GNU/WindowsNT :^)
>>
Now MS only needs to open source windows, replace NT with a unix based kernel and replace ntfs with a better fs

Until then I'll keep using Linux
>>
>>53774246
>CURRENT_YEAR
>falling for the bait
>>
>>53772975
this isn't the first time or the last linux is compiled as a program, you've been able to do it in linux for ages.
>>
You know what's next right? Windows app store on ubuntu, gotta milk those universal apps
>>
>>53775247
That's the thing, it's not a recompiled Linux, it's Windows handling Linux system calls. They're straight ELF binaries, not Cygwin or anything.
>>
>>53775476
so it's wine
>>
>>53775589
Correct, it's inverse-Wine.

Just that it actually works far better than Wine ever will since Microshaft has the source code from both worlds at hand.
>>
>>53775589
Kinda, but I think it's all done in the kernel instead of as translation middleware.
>>
>>53775621
Wine also implements userspace libraries like win32 in addition to kernel. MS doesn't need to implement any userspace.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.