[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
laser eye surgery & computers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: lasik.jpg (46 KB, 512x385) Image search: [Google]
lasik.jpg
46 KB, 512x385
Hey /g/. Has anybody here had laser eye surgery? If so, was it worth it? My eye doctor tells me I might be eligible in about a year, but not to expect 20/20 vision. I've been wearing glasses since age four, and my vision has become slowly but steadily worse. I'd love to be able to generally see shit without glasses and have glasses that aren't ridiculously thick to see perfectly, but I'd like to hear my opinions. I've heard some people get visual aberrations that won't go away. Point being, if I permanently fuck up my vision and can't see a computer screen, then I'll probably have to consider sudoko.

Also
>how shit is your vision thread
>>
I can't see well beyond 2 metres, and I have visual snow, starbursts, and halos.

I really hope replacement, mechanical eyes are a thing in my lifetime.
>>
I don't know exactly what my values on X/Y are but it seems that its good enough that I won't need any glasses anytime soon.
The eye person told me later in my life I may need glasses since I will get short sighted from looking into a monitor all day (kind of job-related) if I don't start doing more outdoor activities.

>>53772775
I'm not sure what needing glasses is like but it seems like a hassle needing to wear them all day and not being able to see anything without them.
What's the chances in getting your vision fucked up if you do it?
If they are fairly low, I would say go for it.
>>
File: askedforthis.jpg (84 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
askedforthis.jpg
84 KB, 900x900
>>53772819
Sorry to hear that anon. I'm thankful that despite the trouble I have my vision is generally correctable to 20/20. My prescription is so strong though that it causes me considerable eyestrain while using the PC, and if my glasses fall off the nightstand, I have difficulty locating them.

>>53772869
I hear anywhere from "millions" to more than 5%. 5% are still 1 in 20 odds but if it's odds of fucking up eyesight for life they're still fairly high.
>>
>>53772775
I've been quite nearsighted since I was 5 or so, but didn't get glasses until 7th grade when I started failing algebra because of it.

I got pretty good at listening and recognizing objects from blurs, but reading something >2m away from me is out of the question without glasses.
>>
>>53772775
http://www.lasikcomplications.com/index.htm

Lasek made my bro blind in one eye, don't do it. Glasses look cooler and even out your face symmetry.
>>
>>53772775
My uncle went trough a laser eye surgery and ended up losign 85% of his vision on that one eye.... Don't do it
>>
>>53773055
>losing
>*lost 85% of his vision on one eye...
Fuck I'm tired atm
>>
>>53772775
I met someone at college who was left blind because he had some kind of eye surgery that went wrong.
Fucking nope'd.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFYaeqVxN7I
>>
I sucked my friends dick after he got LASIK and now he's gay

Don't do it OP
>>
My mom did laser eye surgery when lasek was pretty new. She went from glass bottle bottom to no glasses without any complication. And even now probably 8 years later she only has to wear glasses while reading tiny shit in a cooking magazine.
>>
>>53772775
>I've been wearing glasses since age four
Same here but I think my eyes are about stable now (22), I'm at -7.75 dpt IIRC.
I'm not gonna get lasik, I just don't want a knife near my eye if it's not strictly necessary. I kind of want to try contacts one day though.
>>
File: bionic-lens-future[1].jpg (13 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
bionic-lens-future[1].jpg
13 KB, 620x349
Fuck laser eye surgery this is the future. Plus it's reversible.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/bionic-lenses-will-improve-eyesight-3-times-better-2020-vision-seeing-perfect-without-334824
>>
>>53772775
I've had it. It was the PRK procedure. So totally worth it, but I'm not sure how much it would cost you nowadays. Mine was a whopping 6000 USD. Damn..
But ya, I've got 20/20 now, and my eyes were at -8.0. Couldn't even see my own hands before as they were big blurs. Oh, one more thing. My eyes dry constantly, so I need eye lubricants.
>>
I had ASA done in September. That's basically the same thing as PRK.

I'm doing great, vision is better than 20/20, I can't say that I have any aberrations, even at night. Before the surgery I would go look at the stars. I counted as many points as I could see in Pleiades, the seven sisters. Six. I can see them even a little better than I could with my old glasses.

Biggest thing I didn't realize early enough is that LASIK. Makes. A flap. The flap is bad, if you can deal with recovery time I'd do what I did, surface ablation. I drove home from surgery (had a driver but she screwed up). I was in school the next day, in pain but okay. The two days after that was weekend and I stayed in bed mostly. I think a couple weeks in I was okay. Kept up on my fish oil and using sunglasses.

Surgery was 2750 both eyes. Eye drops were ~250 on top of that, but I shouldn't have gotten all my scripts filled at once, I didn't use two of my refills.

I shopped around a little. First doc was most expensive, also impersonal and rushing me, I heard she's a good doc but I wanted to go with microkeratome flap creation rather than femtosecond laser (extra thousand bucks for that "option") and I realized this doc was a money grubber. Went elsewhere to a doc with older equipment but still waveform-type, I forget. He was more used to doing asa.

So it was good
>>
>>53775585
>flap
How? What? Explain
>>
>>53775195
Get hype
>>
File: _72644320_020843727-1.jpg (174 KB, 624x750) Image search: [Google]
_72644320_020843727-1.jpg
174 KB, 624x750
Excuse my autism, but why the fuck do people bang on about 20/20 vision so much? People usually decline to 20/20 vision with age

The guy who came up with the Snellen chart basically said "I can see letter this small at 20 feet. I'll call this 'standard'". Hence you can see at 20 feet what this guy could. That's all it means

My vision is actually better than 20/20, and so is most peoples. Most people can see at 26 feet what the previous pleb could at 20 feet

>Next time you hear someone boasting about having 20/20 vision, just congratulate them on their disability
>>
>>53772819
>I have visual snow, starbursts, and halos.

I have all of these things as well, and my entire life I just thought it was normal.
wat do
>>
>>53772775
I recently lasered my eyes 6 months ago. I did IntraLASIK (Femtosecond LASIK).

Your eyes need to be stable. Otherwise you'll eyes just get bad again. So it's better to delay it if you can.
The surgery is no big deal. It's scary in your mind, but you don't feel anything.
Post-surgery is a bit of a hassle because you need to use eye drops for quite a while.
It's six months later for me now and I still use artificial tears to combat dry eyes due to surgery.
I do notice I can use less and less, but it might take another 6 months until I don't have to use them anymore.

If you would get a permanent dry eyes syndrome you'd be seriously fucked.
Even after 4 months or so if I didn't use artificial tears my eyes would start burning as if there's sand in your eyes. And you become unable to open your eyes out of pain.
That's over for me now. But if you get dry eyes your life is quite over.
>>
>>53775922

The thing is, delaying it too much is useless as well.

You would need glasses after 40 again anyways, so the best option is to do it around 25 then live without glasses for 15 years and then you'd (majority) need glasses again.
>>
>>53775922
Additionally:

My eyes aren't 20/20 yet. I think I see 60% with one eye and 80% with the other. But I see even sharper with both eyes open. But that was the result of a check up some months ago. I have a check up next week to get my definitive score. But I don't think much changes.

Coming from -4/-4 with another -2 added to it due to a cylinder I feel like I can see everything. I can read license plates and street names from a large distance. It's really great.
Now I can finally lay my head down and read something without crushing my glasses. And I look a dozen times better.

If you were as blind as me it's definitively worth it. But if your eyes are decent I wouldn't recommend it due to the risks involved.
>>
>>53775813
They literally cut your eye open. Yep, that's why contact lenses are the future, I hope we'll have permanent sun-powered tech infused contact lenses in my lifetime.
>>
>>53776039
By comparison. Before the surgery I could not even see the face of the person in front of me.
>>
>>53775813
Well, okay. But if you're op you need to read up on everything, videos, etc.

The cornea is the surface of the eye. The laser cannot shine through the surface for a reason I don't know. Point is, the surgeon must remove this surface somehow.

Option 1. scratch it. The doc put something like a rotary toothbrush on my eye for X seconds to get rid of the top bit of cornea. This is why ASA/PRK recovery is long, you need to regrow some of that back. I think this removes like 10-15 micrometers. Unit may be wrong

Option 2.a Use a fancy knife (microkeratome) to cut a flap of cornea, use a pick to pick up the flap and pull it aside out of the way of the laser. Once done lasing, roll the flap back down on the eye, maybe put a protective contact lens on for a couple days while the flap heals. These flaps are like 25-50 micrometers.

Option 2.b Use a laser to burst away little bubbles to make a flap that comes off just like option 2a. Lift the laser created flap away, lase, roll back. This is more precise, maybe 20 micrometers thick.

Lifting the flap back can be fucked up by the surgeon.
He could put the flap back fucked up
If you poke your eye hard after surgery you can slide your flap
The flap is not structural, even though it goes back on the eye it never heals fully, just like the antilasik site says

I wanted to do microkeratome because post surgery inflammation is higher with femtosecond laser flap creation and microkeratome is cheaper. Went with neither.

Also, flap adhesion was tested on rabbits and they did find adhesion was better with the laser than microkeratome.

But with ASA/PRK you COMPLETELY avoid any flap complications. Just takes longer to heal
>>
I've used glasses since I can remember and contacts since 2007. I really would like to get rid of the hassle, but I'm not old enough yet according to my doc.

Contacts are pretty good but they still have annoying things related to them. Like having to take them out/insert them everyday, having to get more every couple months, them moving around on your eye making you lose vision, breaking in your eye which is a real fucking terrible experience, etc.

Them giving you full field of vision vs glasses, letting you just move your eyes instead of your whole head, and not obstructing parts of your view are worth the trade offs.
>>
>>53776236
Contacts also decrease the chance you can get (safe) laser surgery.
>>
File: 1427512077075.png (7 KB, 350x305) Image search: [Google]
1427512077075.png
7 KB, 350x305
>>53776260
What?
>>
>>53776267
They say you have to remove your contact lenses a couple weeks before surgery so your eyes can get it's shape back. But the damage can actually be permanent.

Lenses reshape your eyes and decrease the corneal thickness, meaning they can't cut in your eyes anymore without damaging it.
>>
I've been using night contacts (Ortho-K) lens for 2 weeks and my sight has gone from 4.00 in both eyes to 0.5. Look into that if you want.
>>
>>53776361
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_long-term_contact_lens_wear_on_the_cornea

It's common sense really. Putting shit on your eyes is bad.
>>
>>53776405
>Orthokeratology is most often used for candidates with up to -6.00 diopters of myopia.

goddamit
>>
>>53775922

Yikes. I was suggesting to my girlfriend that she should get it done to save on the cost of contacts, but that seems like a pretty shitty side effect.
>>
>>53776475
It are mostly the laser surgeries where they create a flap that give a chance at dry eyes though.
Because they cut some nerves. And until they regrow your eyes have trouble sensing if they are wet or not.
>>
>>53775195
>>53775878

I want to be hype for this but there is zero information on it other than that one "Hey! I made a thing!" interview and the vague promise of more in about two years, after medical trials.
>>
>>53772775
I got LASIK about 5 years ago and went from 20/35ish with a little each of nearsightedness and astigmatism to a little better than 20/15.

I have very minor halos around others' headlights when driving at night, but that's it for the downsides.

Would recommend so long as you go to a highly reputable ophthalmologist. Of all the things to cheap out on, your vision should not be one of them.

FWIW, I thought I would be rather uncomfortable being awake for the surgery, but apparently I respond sufficiently well to Valium that I gave zero fucks despite being able to both hear and smell trace amounts of my eyeball being evaporated.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.