[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://arstechnica.com/science/2016 /03/ibms-brain-inspired-
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: maintruenorth.jpg (184 KB, 600x465) Image search: [Google]
maintruenorth.jpg
184 KB, 600x465
http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/03/ibms-brain-inspired-chip-finds-a-home-at-livermore-national-lab/

>"We have begun building neurosynaptic super-computers"

Where were you when humanity was deprecated?
>>
>>53769877
ibm waifu soon
>>
>>53769877
> 16 million neurons

What kind of brain does this equate to ? An insect ?
>>
>>53770329
A frog.

>make 8 of them
>it's now 100+ million neurons

Brown rat size.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_by_number_of_neurons
>>
>>53770371
Not bad. Nature has us beat on size, though.
>>
>>53770011
Please make it happen.
>>
>>53770329
Depends on what way you look at it, if you go by all the neurons in the brain it's about the size of a frog's brain like this anon said: >>53770371, but if you just go by the Cerebral cortex (the part of the brain actually used for thinking) it's equivalent to the low end of what a rat would have and with 10 of them put together you'd be at about what a dog would have.

Considering the chips used in this use a 28nm process, if I'm remembering correctly for the amount of times that they'd be able to double the amount of transistors they'd be able to put on a chip before they hit transistors that are the size of a single atom, they'd be able to eventually get one of these arrays to be about the same as the lower end of an adult human brain by that point (sorry singularityfags, it's not happening).

On a side note I wonder if I could get one of these and get it to solve these god awful inkblot captchas for me. Is anyone else having this problem right now?
>>
>When running flat out, the entire cluster will consume a grand total of 2.5 watts.
Raff out roud
>>
>>53771159

When I get the inkblot LEGACY captchas I just take it as a sign that I've been posting too much
>>
>>53771226
They went away, back to legacy street signs.
>>
>>53771332
I noticed that when you get a double street sign captcha that often the most unreadable could be replaced with a junk word.
>>
>/g/ in charge of discussing actual technology

NEVER EVER
E
V
E
R

E
V
E
R
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.