[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm finally starting to think that /g/ was fucking right,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 1458790770112.jpg (13 KB, 500x259) Image search: [Google]
1458790770112.jpg
13 KB, 500x259
I'm finally starting to think that /g/ was fucking right, CS is a meme.
Just look at how many people with either irrelevant degree or no degree at all who work as developer or any related positions. My own sister who is a PhD Graduate in Bioscience has worked as a project manager in an IT company for many years. It's literally trivial for people in STEM to start a career in cs.
And not only this but now we have to deal with pajeet from all around the world when seeking a job.
>>
>>53767844
ok
>>
>>53767844
Cool story bro
>>
>believing /g/ memes
>thinking /g/ is right about anything
kek
>>
File: 1459161200609.png (1 MB, 1499x860) Image search: [Google]
1459161200609.png
1 MB, 1499x860
I kinda feel the same way

Just fucking kill me. I hate everyone in the program
>>
>>53767844
>And not only this but now we have to deal with pajeet from all around the world when seeking a job.

Free market, son.
>>
>tfw my country has a surplus of developer jobs
Good feels this time
>>
The local team of sys admins that I am a part of has the following educational makeup:
- 1 high school grad
- 1 college drop out
- 1 economics BA
- 1 mechanical engineering BS

And this is at a major telco.

And some of the other folks I work indirectly with:
- political science BS
- more mech engineers
- animation/graphic design BA

Out of ALL of the people I've worked with in tech (about 15 years in various jobs) only 3 have had any kind of formal CS or Computer Engineering
>>
>>53768333
Why didn't you major in math
>>
Thats cause its IT and not CS anon, which are entirely separate things. One thing is a very broad field of employment and the other one is a topic of research. Most jobs in IT don't require a deep knowledge of anything.

In case you didn't know, University doesn't teach you a job, its about acquiring knowledge about a certain topic of research. What it is is a broad theoretical fundament that you can use then as a basis for a job in certain areas, its not like learning a profession.

I studied CS and work in embedded programming for cars, 90% of my work colleagues studied EE, and I do the same job as they do now. You don't graduate from university with BSc/MSc and know everything you need to know about your job, you are only starting out. This is also true for BEng/MEng btw, a big amount of the stuff they've learned was never needed again, while they only knew very little about the actual field they've specialized in after graduating.

Its pretty easy to pick things yourself once you actually need them, your degree is more of an insurance that you are actually able to learn.
>>
>>53768956
Why would someone with a CS degree work as an IT monkey?
>>
>>53767844
just get good ad programming and you'll get tons of jobs
>>
>>53769413
>and know everything you need to know about your job
Unless you pick the wrong job, which I did.

Never accept a position that doesn't do a detailed technical interview. If they don't check you, they don't check anyone, so none of your coworkers will know how to code.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.