[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> customer comes in with a macbook pro > she spilled some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: 20160330_093804.jpg (445 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20160330_093804.jpg
445 KB, 1280x720
> customer comes in with a macbook pro
> she spilled some coffee and now the shift key doesn't work
> boss tells me to handle it

> quickly realize this is going to more of a pain in the ass than it should be
> you can't just pop off the face panel and take the keyboard out like in literally every other laptop ever

> ok lets open her up
> motherboard is the most akward looking shape with non standard data cables all over the place that have no clear indication as to what they are even for or how you are supposed to remove them
> you have to remove the fan before removing the motherboard which has 2 different screw lengths
> mobo screws are star shape (what is this fucking 2000?) And have 2 different screw legths
> also held down by 2 oddly shaped brackets with even more differently shaped screws

> now I have to remove the speaker because it's on top of the odd
> even more different screws legths and brackets holding that in
>Remove odd which has EVEN MORE different screws
> there is a bracket in the middle where the mobo was seated which is also on top of the keyboard
>remove that as well
>have to unscrew the power button because it's attached to the keyboard for some reason
> two more entirely unique screws!

> peel off backlight
> there are layers to this keyboard holy shit
> feel like I'm peeling off shreks skin as I remove the other two layers to finally get to the keyboard itself.
> see this

SIXTY SEVEN SCREWS

I had to count them to make sure I wasn't insane. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?
>>
>waah waah I have to do work
>>
File: viper_kill_yourself.jpg (159 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
viper_kill_yourself.jpg
159 KB, 1500x1500
>>53767588
Looks like you have never opened up a laptop before. Every laptop manufacturer has some extremely retarded design with at least three or four different sized screws and random non standard shit. Some are better than others but they all suck ass. They don't want you opening it up they want you buying a new one.
Here is your (You).
>>
>>53767588
At least the shit holds together well. Making shit easy accessible ads different problems. If you know a better way to make it, apply for a job at Apple and swim and jewgold.
>>
>>53767629
most laptops you can remove the keyboard in one piece, with maybe one or two screws, and without having to touch anything else, takes a few minutes tops
>>
>>53767690
The ones where the keyboard feels like shit?
>>
Why didn't she take it to the Apple store?
>>
>>53767716
>every laptop keyboard except the ones in macs feel like shit
well ok, buddy
>>
>>53767750
Like 99% of all the cheapo hps/dells/toshibas do.
>>
>>53767750
Exactly. Most of the keyboards are pretty shit, that's why neckbeards still jerk off to ThinkPads and why reviewers get all wet when there is a laptop that comes close to Macbook or ThinkPad level.
>>
>>53767716
All modern laptop keyboards feel like shit, what is your point? Chiclet keys are dogshit.
>>
>>53767798
Go away, gradpa.
>>
>2018
>People still spill meme beverage on a 2000$ machine
>>
>>53767588
dunno
15 years ago, Apple wasn't quite so retarded about shit like that. Had an old iBook from 2001 where any idiot could replace the keyboard, RAM, wifi, etc.
I miss that machine.

literally the only problem with the machine was that you needed to almost fully disassemble the thing to replace the hard drive, nearly everything else was easily replaceable
oh, and one bank of RAM was soldered to the machine, so it maxed out at like 640MB instead of 1GB like it should have

also, why are you working on this machine if you don't know what to do with it already
>>
>>53767650
I have opened many laptops before and this is by far the most retarded design.

Its not just three or four different screws, it's like 15-20 different screws and each component has two or three different lengths and/or types

And 67 fucking keyboard screws man. That's just not fucking normal. The worst part is the keyboard actually needs ALL 67 to function properly. If you lose a screw some on the keys will feel noticeably off.
>>
>>53767819
I may be older but I am still right, laptops are being made cheaper and shittier then ever before. Even when it comes to good laptop brands. Lack of ports and chiclet keys are a sign of this.

To make products feel "premium" manufacturers now rely on meme shit like aesthetics or needless garbage to make build quality look solid; such as 67 screws.
>>
File: S5CJYMy.jpg (237 KB, 786x1050) Image search: [Google]
S5CJYMy.jpg
237 KB, 786x1050
>>53767825
>Idiots still buy $2000 overpriced macshit
>Surprised when they're stupid enough to spill shit on it
>>
>>53767914
> Lack of ports
Don't forget floppy drives.

>chiclet keys
Are aesthetically more pleasant, and generally the only sane choice for laptop designs.

Besides, what is OBJECTIVELY wrong with them? I sure enjoy typing on them more than on any desktop keyboard.
>>
File: zE1TL.jpg (125 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
zE1TL.jpg
125 KB, 1024x768
>>53767941
>not naming it "real life titanic.jpg"

wasted opportunity

thats a really dope photo tho never seen it before, its fucking surreal
>>
>>53767950
You can't pound on them with your fat sausage fingers while you're shitposting.
>>
>>53767950
>I sure enjoy typing on them more than on any desktop keyboard.
You're a cuck m8
Don't you even mechanical keyboard?
>>
More screws = better you fucking autist.

Mac is the most secure computer both hardware and software.

PeeCee is for autists and poorfags lol. Buy quality. Buy a Mac.

Apple: the neurotypicals' choice.
>>
>>53767950

SIXTY SEVEN
C
R
E
W
S

shitty scissor switches

Unnecessary backlights

Have fun with your memebook and your onion keyboard faggot
>>
>>53768045
faggots aren't neurotypical, no matter what the sjw's say
>>
>>53767766
So do Macs though. Island chiclet keys are shit by definition. It's a cost cutting measure.
>>
>>53768063
>SIXTY SEVEN
Adds stability.

>shitty scissor switches
>Not butterfly
The plebian is strong in you.

>Unnecessary backlights
It's like you want uneven backlight. Just how poor are you, friend?
>>
>>53768092
This lol. Only poorfags complain about high-quality Macintosh computers. Apple has truly innovated with their 67 screw design but you're just too autistic to realize it.

Apple has created a fully integrated, secure and stable computing experience but you're shitting on it because you're poor and autistic.

Buy quality. Buy Apple.
>>
>>53768092
> adds stability

> if even one of them is missing the keyboard can no longer function properly
>>
>>53768361
Why would an Apple screw be missing?

Missing components are for chink shit like PeeCee and Asus lol.

Apple hand-crafts each Mac with care and attention in California, USA to ensure that there is nothing wrong or missing unlike PeeCee which is made in China or some other dogshit countries.
>>
>>53768092
Butterfly switches are just thinner backlit scissor switches, again a subpar switch that is still cheaper to make then the switches in a well made keyboard. Being less shit doesn't negate the fact it is still comparatively shit. See what I said about the illusion of being premium. Being thin and fashionable is not a sign of quality, your average Joe however thinks it is.

This is not an Apple issue however, this is a systemic society wide issue where things are not built to last like they used to because people want the best but also don't want to spend a lot of money. When you combine that with the fact people tend to replace their laptops often you will understand why older laptops are more durable. Same reason why you don't see a solid oak table that lasts forever in the stores anymore, only a composite wood table with oak laminate.
>>
>>53768395
>Apple hand-crafts each Mac with care and attention in California, USA
Good bait. You almost had me convinced you were retarded
>>
>>53767629
>>53767690
5 screws or less, this is straight poor design
>>
>>53768406
> again a subpar switch
Because of? Again, I prefer them to any other keyboard I used, and non chiclet is ugly cancer, that is simply not viable in a laptop either way.

>Being thin and fashionable
Is simply a basic requirement, not a sign of anything. Why would I spend even 1 cent on an ugly product that isn't enjoyable to use?

> where things are not built to last like they used to
My old ass Air from 2012 still works like from day one. Same with my HP TM2 from 2008 once you exclude the software factor. Unless you either buy extremely cheap shit or can't treat your hardware right, it'll last fine.

> tend to replace their laptops often you will understand why older laptops are more durable
So even lesser reason to build a le durable laptop then? Why the fuck would you keep it for longer than 2 years if technology keeps advancing?
>>
>>53767690
I would say some laptops, not most. Dell's and I believe Toshiba are the ones where keyboards are easily removable and only on their low end shit. Any decent laptop is a pain in the ass to remove the keyboard.
>>
>>53767650
pretty much this. I only have dealt with about four different models and every one of them is different. the current one I use Asus P50IJ required complete dissasembly to change the top panel. Sounds to me like that MBP is pretty nicely put together OP.
>>
>>53768075
You wont get an argument from me there, the only thing I was pointing out is they don't flex AS easily.
>>
>>53767825
>coffee
>meme beverage
>he's probably only drank coffee from a drip / keurig
>>
>I am lazy
>I hate my job
>>
>>53767982
But the titanic is real life you fucking piss

>american """"education""""
>>
>>53768395
>>53768132
thank you for your service rajneesh
>>
>I have only opened/disassembled a ThinkPad before
get out RMS
>>
>>53767716
>>53767750
>>53767766
>>53767785
>>53767798
>own macbook pro retina
>own apple keyboard
>own thinkpad x230
>everybody in the thinkpad thread is always bitching about the x230's chiclet keyboard
>mfw when it's the best chiclet keyboard i have every owned by a fucking longshot and it beats the crap out of the macbook's and the apple keyboard's typing feel
>mfw it can be removed with one single screw
>mfw i love this laptop to death, mainly because it's so small and sexy and the keyboard is so awesome
>mfw i use the $3k macbook for looking at PDFs and youtube on my desk now and do everything else on the thinkpad
>mfw the thinkpad was $400

>>53767588
macbook keyboards, like most other keyboards nowadays, are watersealed. just use window cleaner and pressured air next time... spray window cleaner into keyboard, wait for it to dissolve the coffee, blow it out with the pressured air.
did that 3 weeks ago with a friend's macbook he had poured hot chocolate into. the first 5 times i did that the window cleaner coming out of the keyboard was black. fucking disgusting.
>>
>>53768667
I guess he was referring to some uneducated tv shit in the pic
>>
>>53768754
>own apple keyboard

you mean the new one for $80 ? hows that compare to say a mechanical kb
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.