[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>according to mcafee, the founder of the shitty antivirus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
>according to mcafee, the founder of the shitty antivirus software by the same name, any encryption can be cracked in 30 minutes

http://fossbytes.com/john-mcafee-reveals-on-tv-how-fbi-can-unlock-an-iphone-in-30-minutes/

Is he right? Have I been a fool for using full disk encryption with a key consisting of 1024 Unicode character when this master hacker can crack it in 30 minutes?
>>
>>53766131
yea he's right

FBI used the excuse that they can't to force a "legit" botnet over all iPhones

They had it already hacked, when they saw that everyone is backing up Apple they decided to give it up.
>>
>>53766235
so they can force*

my bad, had some drinks
>>
>>53766131
he's talking about master key and backdoor. not encryption, in that video.
>>
>>53766131
Cracking a phone/computer and cracking encryption are two completely different things. 30 minutes is overexaggerated, but with enough persistence you should be able to make any machine run the way you want it to. But if it the data you're trying to access is properly encrypted, you can't do nothing unless you have the key. I'm pretty sure iphone simply stores the key for decryption on the device itself.
>>
>>53766131
Is n=np?
>>
>>53766786
yes
>>
>according to McAfee, bath salts and hookers are the meaning of life
>>
somebody get the guys at fossbytes a calendar. it's still march.
>>
>>53766131
The iPhone in question used a pin combination, this is only: 104, 105, or 106. This is trivial to crack if you get around the OS imposed limitation.

McAfee was also a good AV when McAfee owned it, when he left it went to shit.
>>
>>53767387
10^4, 10^5, 10^6. Forgot this site hates superscript.
>>
mcafee is bath salt addict he's just talking shit, he got caught posting on bluelight (drugs forum)
>>
>>53766131
> any encryption can be cracked in 30 minutes
> unlock-an-iphone-in-30-minutes
It's not "any" encryption.
>>
>>53766786
Most likely no but you can't prove a negative
>>
>>53766288
Basically the iPhone 5/5C and earlier store the encryption key within device memory. The only thing securing the key is the PIN code. Without the PIN code the phone can't be opened as it is part of the key needed to mount all the device data. A 4 digit pin (or even 8 character PIN if all numerals) is not terribly secure. The operating system enforces security requirements that make the phone substantially more protected (an optional setting that wipes the phone after 10 wrong PIN attempts, and a setting that inserts delays before the next PIN may be entered after several wrong attempts is automatic, e.g. 1 hour delay after a 9th consecutive incorrect PIN attempt before another can be entered).

The iPhone 5S and later delegate the delay, encryption key destruction after 10 wrong attempts functions to a separate hardcoded chip from the factory called the secure enclave.

It's exceedingly unlikely that the attack that Cellebrite/the FBI used will work on modern iPhones due to the secure enclave chip. But Apple would need to license and test the solution the FBI used to be sure.
>>
>>53766131
Why do people still pay attention to this guy? He's all sorts of fucked and usually never says anything meaningful ever
>>
Seems to me he's talking shit.

> hurr durr just view source hurr durr
>>
>>53767541
> Why do people still pay attention to this guy?

Because he created his own antivirus that millions of people use so he knows a thing or two about computers.
>>
>>53768060
he also claims to have snorted a whole bag of DMT

pretty sure it doesnt even work like that last i tried

he claims lots of shit
>>
McAfee 2016
>>
>>53766786
What if government hides this
they did prove it but kept it secret only used for their purposes
>>
>>53766131
Not any encryption

He is completely right that it's that easy to break iPhone encryption on iPhones before 5c.

After them, he's wrong.

So technically he is right, since the iPhone in question is before 5c.

It's just the media misquoting him or trying to make it sensational.
>>
>>53768087

You can snort it but that's not really the preferred method; pretty painful from what I've been told.

He's pretty crazy so I doubt a lot of his claims but find it hard to discredit claims of massive drug use because honestly it's probably why he's crazy.
>>
>>53768087
If you know anything about him, chances are he did. The guy is merely being animated by the cocaine surge that's been buzzing along for years now. He is barely alive in the medical sense.
>>
File: lied.png (568 KB, 1200x903) Image search: [Google]
lied.png
568 KB, 1200x903
ahahah
>>
>>53768169
i mean its possible, in the interview he's not even sure what dmt was, he just started to snort it like his coke

all of this while working as a train track switcher

http://www.wired.com/2012/12/ff-john-mcafees-last-stand/

>inb4 wired
its a good fucking interview imho (its fucking long, go grab a drink)

shows you how crazy the fucker truly is
>>
File: McAfee-3_1.jpg (239 KB, 1240x826) Image search: [Google]
McAfee-3_1.jpg
239 KB, 1240x826
>>53767412
>o noe he posted on a forum

Did you forget that he had a beachside mansion full of hookers and drugs in Belize?
He hasn't exactly been secretive about it.
>>
>>53768060
That's true but he sold that company like 20 years ago and hasn't done anything noteworthy (in security) since.
>>
>>53768385
>and hasn't done anything noteworthy (in security) since.

i dunno man, he put some military on his payroll to kick drug dealers out of belieze

thats pretty secure if you ask me :^)
>>
>interview is over
>mcaffee says "wheres the bitches and blow?"
>>
>>53768209
Link+pastebin
>>
>>53767429
>you can't prove a negative
It's math though, in first order logic and ZFC if a statement is true then it's provable.
>>
>>53766786
No, and I can prove it.
>>
>>53766786
If you want.
>>
File: Penetration of Loli - Return.jpg (370 KB, 579x567) Image search: [Google]
Penetration of Loli - Return.jpg
370 KB, 579x567
>>53766131
>MAR 02
he already apologized for this retarded bluff
now go fuck yourself
>>
Since hardware can be virtualized or reverse engineered, the only way to actually protect your data is to use full disk encryption with a good 30+ character password.
>>
File: Enigma-machine.jpg (2 MB, 2880x3460) Image search: [Google]
Enigma-machine.jpg
2 MB, 2880x3460
>>53766131
But can he crack the 3 unbreakable Enigma messages? BOINC couldn't.
>>
>>53768699
The first one is Bush did 9/11
The second one is Hitler did nothing wrong
The third one is OP is a faggot
>>
>>53768699
>the entire enigma machine broken literally because of hitlers ego

we found this out only a year or so into the war when we found one

EVERY SINGLE MESSAGE ended with "Heil Hitler"

since the entire thing is based on progressive rotation, every message now has a virtual backdoor.

also funfact, it was designed for banks not war communications
>>
>>53768479
I'll try to dumb this down.
To prove p=np:
>find a polynomial way of solving any np-complete problem
>because of how np-complete probs are defined, every NP problem can be polynomially reduced to the problem you solved
>all NP probs are solved polynomially

To prove p!=np:
>prove that an np-c prob is not solvable in polynomial time
>same as before

The difference here is that in case 1 you certificate your proof with the algorithm, in case 2 you can't (because another algorithm might solve the problem, and you wouldn't know).
It is therefore much, much more difficult (almost impossible, and we come back to my claim) to prove p!=np than it is p=np
>>
>>53768816
HH wouldn't have been enough. The crack was possible because of the date and meteo report at the beginning of each message
>>
>>53766131
Guy's a retarded cunt.

Source: daniel dantas FDE laptop.
>>
>>53766786
If p = 1, then n=n*p = n*1 = n
q.e.d.
>>
THE FBI USED QUANTUM COMPUTERS TO CRACK THE ENCRYPTIONNNNN
>>
>>53769287
They used a side channel attack which is the bane of practically every implementation of security in a system
>>
>>53768856
That doesn't mean you can't prove it (like the original post in question stated), though.
>>
>>53768856
>>53768479
>>53767429
All of you are dead wrong. You say cs is a meme degree but can't even comprehend a simple proof. Go back to precalc, fools
>>
>>53767541
Is.. Is he anon?
>>
>>53768087
i really doubt it. you have to pretty much hit it in a bong because of how harsh it is. GB also works cause it forces the smoke in your lungs. Im pretty sure it has to combust to have the actual psycadelic effects. he could have snorted a whole ounce but all he would have done is caused himself pain and wasted a lot of product
>>
Reminder that side channel attacks != breaking encryption.

The encryption Apple uses are most likely very strong and can't be cracked yet with our current computational power limits.

However, the implementations that use encryption are often poorly designed and vulnerable to side channel attacks to access the data anyway. For example, a phone that has its data encrypted typically stores the encryption key in memory, which could be obtained with live acquisition, cold boot attacks, or could even be captured with directed acoustics[1] while it's encrypting.

It's awful naive to think governments can't access your encrypted data by means of proper forensic investigations on poor cryptographic implementations.

[1] http://www.tau.ac.il/~tromer/papers/acoustic-20131218.pdf
>>
>>53767515
Couldn't they just take out the storage chip, copy the data and brute force the key?
>>
>>53776498
>Couldn't they just take out the storage chip, copy the data and brute force the key?
Yes, of course. Brilliant!
I wonder why nobody else has thought of this.
You should contact the FBI right now.
There may be a reward.
>>
>>53778578
awesome now let suck your cock and fuck me with my dragon dildo you fucking fuck fucker.
>>
>>53766131
Of course. He probably kills the device with cocaine so he can access it.
>>
>>53767282
>>according to McAfee, bath salts and hookers are the meaning of life
They aren't?
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.