[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: 1434705564509.jpg (116 KB, 1079x450) Image search: [Google]
1434705564509.jpg
116 KB, 1079x450
Previously on: >>53754200

Welcome to /fg/lt/, or as I've recently taken to calling it, /fg+lt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
>>
File: 1452681942278.jpg (356 KB, 670x400) Image search: [Google]
1452681942278.jpg
356 KB, 670x400
> Shell pasta:

The based GNU Bourne Again SHell:
https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/

The community driven BASH wiki:
http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/

The Grymoire - home for UNIX wizards:
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/index.html

Greg's (also known as GreyCat's) wiki:
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashPitfalls

SED and AWK; your new best friends:
http://www.pement.org/sed/sed1line.txt
http://www.pement.org/awk/awk1line.txt

Google's Shell Style Guide:
https://google.github.io/styleguide/shell.xml

The Linux Command Line - A Book By William Shotts:
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Interesting, useful and dangerous one-liners:
http://www.commandlinefu.com/

Great online (and offline) linting tool:
http://www.shellcheck.net/

Know what you are doing:
http://explainshell.com/
>>
File: falseflag.png (2 MB, 1024x1500) Image search: [Google]
falseflag.png
2 MB, 1024x1500
Reminder that systemd is a fiasco.

Is developed by a elite and only the elite has the time and the funds to check the source code (by a corporation that makes business with the government). Many programs (therefore, Linux distributions) adopted systemd as a way to use other programs that systemd devoured. Making a cascade of dependence from which there is no escape.

Microsoft now could make possible a takeover on Linux thanks to systemD homogenizing Linux and the constant use of BSD license that allows privative software being built atop which strangles the open source community competition against takeovers from corporations ("embrace, extend, extinguish" all over).

Also is a security liability. Their proponents never speak about leaving free to attack the systemd-init that runs every daemon, and the shit is even connected to the network.

As init is the second most powerful program in linux, just below the kernel. The kernel code has so many eyes on it, but not that many on systemd. We bash about openssl/gnutls holes all the day, but none of the holes could be as nearly detrimental as a hole in pid 1, either accidental or intentional. Systemd serves as inetd and listens on network sockets.

The new systemd specific user switching is more insecure because PID1 constantly runs root programs with a massive attack surface. While only systemd-init is PID 1 and the rest of systemd does not run at PID1, everything uses systemd-init functions.

Add that it has su-like functionality in direct contact with programs that are network-facing and you have a security hole.

>pic related, stop spreading false flag images shills
>>
File: 1457272814866.jpg (231 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1457272814866.jpg
231 KB, 1920x1080
>>53761657
If I have both my desktop and laptop on Debian Unstable, is it a good strategy to stagger my updates?

Meaning, I upgrade one first, see if everything runs okay, and then upgrade the other one, and so on - so that if one actually breaks at least I know not to update on the other just yet?
>>
>>53761657
Man, Gentoo doesn't have that many decent webrowsers
>>
File: 1434860167924.jpg (28 KB, 560x373) Image search: [Google]
1434860167924.jpg
28 KB, 560x373
>>53761722
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53761735
It has loads
>>
File: 1457345055564.jpg (48 KB, 540x562) Image search: [Google]
1457345055564.jpg
48 KB, 540x562
Two questions:

How can I configure GRUB to not show up on boot and just go straight to Debian? I don't have a dualboot setup so I don't need to boot into GRUB everytime, unless I explicitly want to

How can I disable the messages that appear during boot (hard drive checks) against the black screen and show something else? Like the logo of the operating system or something.
>>
>>53761898
Google "skip GRUB on boot up" and "bootsplash Debian"
>>
>>53761898
Configure grub.cfg with wait time 0 and edit the splash screen in the same.
>>
>>53761928
>>53761932
Thanks guys, much obliged

One final question:

How can I stop Clementine from automatically loading any audio tracks found in plugged in devices into its playlist? I've scrounged through the settings menus and haven't found anything related to that...
>>
File: 1440653164208.jpg (16 KB, 590x366) Image search: [Google]
1440653164208.jpg
16 KB, 590x366
>>53761928
Please avoid using the term “google” as a verb, meaning to search for something on the internet. “Google” is just the name of one particular search engine among others. We suggest to use the term “search the web” or (in some contexts) just “search”.
>>
How do you put a linux on a chromebook?
>>
>>53762029
If you would Google the word Google on Bing you would know what your were talking about.
>>
Running Mint on a lenovo z40. Every time it boots, it boots to a black screen, and I have to press escape or alt+shift+f7 to get the Mint Encrypted Drive password prompt screen. This doesn't happen on my desktop. How do I fix this?
>>
>>53762071
>Google
>Bing
Enjoy your botnet.
>>
Which linux is the most bsd like?
>>
>>53762198
I. Don't. Give. A. Fuck. About. That.

At least I'm using Ganuuh/Loonix distro so there is *probably* no botnet installed on my PC.
>>
>>53762198
>Enjoy your botnet.
Dunno why but this phrase takes a smile from me every time.
>>
>>53762245
Gentoo
>>
>>53762245
>>
>>53762250
Both engines track you, create profiles of your searches and sell them.
>>
>>53762250
obvious troll is obvious
>>
>>53762274
I actually turned that stuff off FYI
>>
>>53762285
You can't "turn it off".
>>
>>53762292
Yes you "can"
>>
>>53762295
I don't think Google provides an option for turning off your IP, so: Nope.
>>
>>53762043

It's a Intel Celeron N2830. CB3-531. Sorry about being a pest, just new to this linux talk stuff.
>>
>>53762301
this
learn how to internet
>>
>>53762301
LOL!
>>
>>53762301
So what you are saying is that every website is a botnet because they know your IP?
>>
This troll is a bonehead senpai.
>>
I'm going to try and remove as much GNU from my life as possible, starting with using clang instead of gcc, mksh instead of bash, musl libc instead of glibc (where possible), curl instead of wget, Stallman can suck it. GNU is not an operating system, it should be called GNO.
>>
File: 1458854202034.png (32 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1458854202034.png
32 KB, 1024x1024
>>53762355
>>
>>53762319
Not every websites you visit creats profiles.
>>
4chan creates profiles, sorted by IP and post every time you click Submit.
Google creates profiles, sorted by IP and post every time you fill a reCAPTCHA.

Just saying. To go full freedom, you have to leave 4chan.
>>
>>53762369
I already told you, you can turn it off. You had the option for like 10 years or so. Have you never seen those privacy bullshit popping up everytime you visit a Googe websites, saying something like review your privacy or whatever?
>>
>>53762402
Read the Google EULA and come back educated.
>>
>>53762412
You first, ladyboy
>>
>>53762402
>Windows 10 is fine, I turned the spying off in the settings menu
>>
>>53762449
>something is only fine if do not change anything
>spends his time ricing his Loonix
>>
>>53762495
>PRISM
>>
>>53762502
>gubamint boogeyman
>>
>>53762520
>JTRIG
>>
Do you guys have anything added to your crontab?
>>
Does arch have systemd?
>>
>>53762555
Something that changes my wallpapers every 30 minutes
>>53762782
Yes
>>
>>53762788
I heard about the wallpaper thing, doesn't that youtuber guy gotbletu does the same?
>>
>>53762797
No idea
I just use feh with the --randomize option
>>
>>53761722
what can replace systemd?

how hard would it be to write your own systemd?
>>
>>53762838
Openrc.
>>
>>53762838
Suck Canonical's dick and ask them to revive Upstart.
>>
>>53762838
Why?
>>
>>53762809
How do you pronounce feh? Is it Fegh? Or Feih?
>>
Where exactly does one see the motd?
>>
>>53762969
tty
>>
>>53762969
Login shell.
>>
I am having problems in Manjaro with mounting an external harddrive. It doesn't appear to show up after the initial time where it worked.
Also had problems where for a while when it was plugged in my mouse stopped working.
>>
DEBIAN VS UBUNTU ?
>>
>>53763500
There's not much to say here

Ubuntu if you're a beginner or want a just-werks right out of the box

Debian if you've already passed your babby-phase, or you're a beginner who is not adverse to looking stuff up, or just want to get away from Canonical for personal reasons

I love Debian myself but I'll be the first to admit that most users would be just fine on Ubuntu
>>
So what are the effects of reinstalling Linux and keeping an existing /home partition from a previous install?

Is Linux very strict about not keeping system vital files in /home, so that no broken links or dependencies will exist with /home?

Or will I have to look forward to fixing things in that partition?
>>
>>53761722
Man, quit with your paranoid and ignorant systemd conspiracy theory shilling. You don't represent a majority and your behavior and views are embarrassing.
>>
>>53762142
>Mint

I think I found your problem anon.
>>
>>53762355
You have fun with that.
>>
Posting from a fresh arch install running openbox. I installed gnome-terminal but it's not running from my right click menu that openbox provides. ???

Also, I'm using a laptop with an external monitor. Every now and then my laptop's monitor will black out and flash with some weird jagged white lines scrolling across. Anyway I can fix this?

How the fuck do I get a terminal up if the only GUI terminal I have installed isn't working? Without restarting, of course.
>>
>>53762919
i pronounce it "feh"
>>
>>53764284
Feighn?
>>
>>53764307
i don't know how else you'd write it, not "fay" though
>>
>>53764320
Feugh?
>>
File: Leap-green.png (25 KB, 594x804) Image search: [Google]
Leap-green.png
25 KB, 594x804
Does anybody know how to get my boot splash screen back, or what that screen is actually called so I can google?

on opensuse leap it has this logo and it's missing
>>
>>53764457
have you looked in the settings menu?
>>
>>53764504
it's not in /etc/sysconfig Editor or bootloader or kernel settings or services manager and those are the only ones that I can think of that would be related.

On the other hand I may be looking for the wrong thing entirely because all I have to go on is my best guess which is "boot splash screen" and that might be something else, because my google results are all about grub, and nothing comes up when I search anywhere else.
>>
>lazy ADHD person
>want more "proper linux" than ubuntu or mint
>still want things to just werk and prefer GUI configuration infinitely to text files because tl;dr

send help
>>
>>53764593
>lazy ADHD person

don't worry anon, you're just not autistic
>>
>>53764593
Fedora is exactly what you're looking for
>>
>>53762868

That would be just the init system. What about the other useful utilities bundled under the same roof?
>>
>>53764073

Check which command is run for the menu entry. A convenient tool to edit the menu is obmenu.
Hit Ctrl+Alt+F1, log in, install a different terminal emulator or edit the Openbox menu entry.
>>
>>53764593
I'm a similar person and I'll echo the other Anon. Fedora seems a strong contender for you. Difference between us is I just want nothing to do with Shuttleworth.

Actually, isn't what you want simply any distribution which has a desktop environment in the default install? Honestly, there's nothing less "proper Linux" about *buntu but if you want something else, there's Debian, OpenSUSE and a number of other options. Mageia, Netrunner, PCLinuxOS. Sidux which seems to be called aptosid now was very popular on /g/ years ago. Heck, even Slackware or one of the Arch derivatives would fit the bill from what we know.
>>
>>53765145
You mean something like systemd?
>>
>>53764588

just tried adding a file named "bootsplash" to /etc/sysconfig and putting in the line THEME="opensuse", but that didn't work
>>
>>53765226

Add "splash" to your kernel parameters during boot. If you're using GRUB, append it at the end of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.
Also make sure that the Plymouth service is enabled. Chances are that you're using Plymouth for your splash.
>>
Is it possible to make a backup of all my Thunderbird settings, accounts and mails so when I reinstall my OS I don't have to setup everything from scratch again.
>>
I've got a bash question, it's ben bothering me for a few days and I can't find any topic on SO or the wiki in the op (I admit I haven't looked at EVERY thread/topic).
I want to access $@ as an array, I assume it is, because "for i in $@" works. But when I put ${@[0]} in my script I get an "Expansion fucked up" error.
Halp.
>>
>>53765279
I've wandered about this too.
I just did it manually in the end, coz I found nothing.
>>
>>53765279

Check the .mozilla directory. That's where Firefox keeps its settings.
Having a partition for /home in your case would be convenient. If you had one, you could just reinstall or change a distribution while keeping your settings for everything (leaving your /home partition untouched).
>>
>>53765279
I only use Thunderbird for RSS and have gotten by by just keeping my .thunderbird folder. Don't know if there's more to it for email and such.

Don't hit me, people, I've been meaning to switch to TinyTinyRSS or something for years now. Just haven't gotten around to it.
>>
>>53765260
where do I access my "kernel parameters during boot"?

In YaST I have "optional kernel command line parameter" which sounds right and it's set to "resume=/dev/sda1 splash=silent quiet showopts"

>GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
what file is this in and/or where can I access it?

>make sure that the Plymouth service is enabled.
where is this?

google turns up nothing for any of these
>>
>>53765335

I stumbled upon this yesterday.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=146850
>>
>>53765325
So I can use a partition specific for /home and then when I reinstall I can tell the installation 'look I already got my /home directory, it's here - use all the accounts and shit you find there' ?
>>
>>53765375

Yes, the optional kernel command line parameters are that. Remove the =silent after splash. You don't need to edit GRUB's config, becaue that YaST tool you just used does that.

>where is this?
How do you manage services with OpenSUSE? Is it using systemd? If yes, do

systemctl enable plymouth

It might already be enabled. Try removing the =silent first.
>>
>>53765380

Yes, that's why people keep /home on a separate partition.
>>
>>53765377
>RSS reader in Bash
That's pretty cute.

I'm no stranger myself to using Bash for tools that can easily mutate past what Bash is good for.
>>
>>53765401
>Remove the =silent
that just made a shitload of text show up

>systemctl enable plymouth
>Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory

systemctl | grep plymouth gives me

systemd-ask-password-plymouth.path                                                                         loaded active waiting   Forward Password Requests to Plymouth Directory Watch
plymouth-start.service loaded active exited Show Plymouth Boot Screen
>>
>>53765409
Well it all makes sense now.

Could I just now make a new partition, copy the complete /home folder there and then do the same thing when I reinstall?
>>
Is there a way for Mutt to report it has successfully sent an email through stdout?
>>
I'm using termite. What will happen if I define terminal colors on the termite config, and then use a vim color scheme with colors not defined in the termite config file?
>>
>>53763960
I don't think it's being paranoid and ignorant. There is issues with systemd.
You cannot deny the fact that systemd deos more than what it should, wthat the developers in charge of it are morons and that it can lead to serious troubles (about security, possibility to change any parts of your system)

The big problem with systemd is that most big systems already adopted it, so there's a little chance to have something else now. Unless some important guy like linus stands and say systemd is complete bullshit and should fuck off. But it will never happen, because systemd isn't that bad right now
>>
>>53765529
I'd assume it will use whatever is the default value for those colours. Only one way to find out, Anon.
>>
>>53765575
I guess you're right. Down the rabbit hole I go
>>
My gpu is poorly supported on linux.
Ubuntu just crash.
Debian is slow as shit whatever the drivers I use.

The unique distribution that worked well was arch, but after few months of use, after a xorg update, it fucked up the DE.

What do ?
>>
So which essentially minimal distro should be ultimately minimal: slackware, crux, LFS or gentoo?
>>
>>53765472

Try enabling plymouth-start.
Having just "splash" in the kernel parameters enabled the boot splash for me. The quiet parameter should hide all the kernel and boot messages. I have no idea why it's not working on your end. Question: are you using an Nvidia GPU with proprietary drivers? Because apparently that doesn't work with Plymouth (or just started working recently).
>>
>>53765566

>more than what it should
Who's the authority which decides what software is allowed to do and what not?

>The big problem with systemd is that most big systems already adopted it, so there's a little chance to have something else now. Unless some important guy like linus stands and say systemd is complete bullshit and should fuck off. But it will never happen, because systemd isn't that bad right now
You just answered your own question as to why it's adopted by that many people.
>>
>>53765630
>Question: are you using an Nvidia GPU with proprietary drivers? Because apparently that doesn't work with Plymouth (or just started working recently).

Well you may have just spotted the problem, I guess I'll have to wait for that to get solved.
>>
>>53763960
really poor way of argue, nigga.
>>
>>53765618

How can your Gentoo be more minimal than Ubuntu if you install the same amount of packages?
>>
>>53765608
>What do ?
Tell us what hardware it is we're talking about here. I'm sure you'll appreciate that "shit ain't working" doesn't give us much to go on.

Alright, to be fair, you said that Arch was working out alright. That leads me to believe it's simply a case of poor support in the older kernel versions.
>>
my google-fu is weak
does youtube-dl have a option to download multiple different videos at the same time from a input file?
>>
>>53765653

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4bfxip/plymouth_now_works_with_proprietary_nvidia/

Version 364.12 seems to be what you want.
>>
>>53765608
> "My gpu"

is a very low-information complaint. Would it kill you to list which one?

No distro will magically address your problem. If, in fact it's a hardware problem and not user error. If there is some work around available/required, chances are high it can be applied in any distro.
>>
>>53765663
At the same time, as in concurrently? I can't say for absolutely sure, but it would surprise me. With a teensy bit of magic you could make multiple youtube-dl processes work off the same input file without overlap, though.
>>
>>53765663

Shell scripts are your friend.
>>
is there a way to say
"delete package [x] and all dependencies, unless other packages also depend on those dependences."
to quickly clean shit up
>>
>>53765706
I think it has a built in function that it will skip downloading a file if it's already saved
>>53765708
I'm assuming the easiest way would be to just make a script that runs
youtube-dl -a batchfile.txt
10 or so times, and it would go through the entire list 10 links at a time
>>
>>53765712
Depends on the package manager you're using.
The answer is most likely yes.
>>
>>53765712

For which package manager? For Pacman that's: pacman -Rs
>>
>>53765712
for apt I think
apt-get autoremove
will do it for you
>>
>>53765682
Now to figure out how to update to the beta version. Thanks, this is a problem I can solve.
>>
Q. 1:
Is Space or Tab preffered for spacing?

Q. 2:
How to shorten a long command?
for example...

#!/bin/bash
# this

somecommand --option "something" --another-option "something" --another-option "something" --another-option "something" --another-option "something"

#!/bin/bash
# into something like this

somecommand --option "something"
--another-option "something"
>>
>>53765840
#!/bin/bash

somecommand --option "something" \
--another-option "something" \
>>
>>53765735
for run in {1..10}
do
youtube-dl -a download.txt
done

this seemed to do it, but once it got to downloading a video it would just download that video
>>
>>53765735
>I think it has a built in function that it will skip downloading a file if it's already saved
Yes, while it can be done in a lot of ways, this is obviously helpful. Depending on how youtube-dl behaves with the .part extension, maybe adding --no-part on top of --no-overwrites might be necessary.

>I'm assuming the easiest way would be to just make a script that runs [youtube-dl -a batchfile.txt] 10 or so times, and it would go through the entire list 10 links at a time
Yes, something like that. I can immediately see some obnoxious corner cases, like two of the processes starting on the same URL at the same time. Not too hard to work around, but requires a bit more work.

(A bit of a tangent, but for simply repeating a few commands or so a number of times, making a script or function isn't necessary if it's not something you'll do regularly. Simply typing «for i in {1..10}; do command; command; command; done» straight in terminal will do just fine.)
>>
>>53765899
>>53765903
the dirty way to do it would just be
youtube-dl -a download.txt & youtube-dl -a download.txt
>>
>>53765281
help me ;_;
>>
>>53763960
> slave to the majority
Such a cuck
>>
>>53765941
Heh, yes. And for ten of those: youtube-dl -a download.txt & <ctrl+uyyyyyyyyyy>

Again, let me repeat that that will run into issues unless polished a bit.
>>
>>53765941
>>53765991
# consecutive
$ for i in `seq 1 10`; do echo $i; done

# concurrent
$ for i in `seq 1 10`; do echo $i & done
[1] 34841
[2] 54082
3[3] 5184
4[4] 5000
[5] 49885
[6] 20846
[7] 50367
[8] 35528
9[9] 3188
[10] 417610
[1] Done echo $i
[2] Done echo $i
[3] Done echo $i
[4] Done echo $i
[5] Done echo $i
[6] Done echo $i
[7] Done echo $i
[8] Done echo $i
[9] Done echo $i

$
>>
>>53765281
> I assume it is
Is it?
>>
>>53765281
>>53765980
$1 $2 $3 $4
>>
>>53765980
You could just use $1 $2 and so on as Anon pointed out. If the number of arguments is relevant, there's $# to help you out.
>>
>>53765998
Not sure what you're trying to tell us by this demonstration, friend. Both of us that you quoted seem to understand than an ampersand forks the process into the background.
>>
>>53766055
It's quite clear that original posted wanted to call multiple commands in a loop, not writing them multiple times, and syntax for using & in a loop is not very intuitive. All I wanted to do is to demonstrate it at work.
>>
r8 my Bash

while [ "TRUMP" > "CRUZ" ]; do echo -e "\e[3$((RANDOM%6+1))m$(cat <<EOF
# # # ### #
## ## # # # # # #
# # # # # # # # #
# # # ##### # ### #####
# # # # # # # #
# # # # ### # #

EOF
)\e[0m"
sleep 5
echo
done
>>
Not-so-tech-savvy person with Win7 looking into dualbooting a Linux distro.
I've done my research and have come to the conclusion that Ubuntu or Mint with Cinnamon are my best choices.
My question is: which one?
I know that they're not /g/'s favorite distros.
>>
>>53766083
debian
>>
>>53766083
Ubuntu is easy. If you have a specific task you want to achieve on a machine running Linux, go Ubuntu.
>>
>>53766072
I see. You may have wanted to ping the poster you wanted to see it, mind you. Like so: >>53765899

>>53765899
Speaking of which, I missed this before. As the other Anon points out, your loop here waits until youtube-dl is finished before it starts over. In other words, it should process the entire input file and then start processing the entire input file again once it has already been completely done! You say that it only downloads one video which seems weird, but I'll focus on the key point instead.

So, to repeat, a single ampersand (&) will put the command before it into the background, making the shell then proceed to the next bit without waiting for the previous command to finish. In this case, with it applied to your youtube-dl command, it would complete the loop and immediately run through it again. As you might guess, the loop with pretty much instantaneously with ten youtube-dl processes in the background.

Now, there's still other issues afoot. All ten of those processes will try to download the very first URL in the input file. We can work around this by telling youtube-dl to not overwrite existing files, but since no such file exists when the processes start, we also want each process to wait for a bit. It's somewhat sloppy, but here we could probably get away with adding a sleep 10 or such after the youtube-dl command.
>>
>>53766178
for i in `cat download.txt`; do youtube-dl $i & done
>>
>>53766178
Why not just parse the file yourself and just call youtube-dl on each line with an & behind it? Literally fixes all the issues >_>
>>
>>53766178
>the loop with
Damn. Make that "the loop will end with", obviously.
>>
>>53766210
>>53766211
Indeed. It's my folly of trying to be educative instead of just fixing the task at hand.
>>
>>53766083
remember to replace cdrkit (or whatever they have) with cdrtools if go with ubuntu (or debian)
>>
>>53766091
>>53766243
I heard it wasn't for beginners though?
>>53766155
I just want to browse the web, use IRC and maybe watch movies.
>>
>>53766210
>>53766211
>>53766238
Then again, Anon probably doesn't want to end up with a hundred youtube-dl processes. We've no idea how many URLs are in the input file. But that's easily fixed by having the loop count the number of youtube-dl processes at the end and not let it continue until it goes down below the set number.
>>
>>53766275
What benefits does Ubuntu has over Win7 in your use case?

>>53766289
I still wouldn't rely on multiple youtube-dl processes not interfering with each other trying to download files.
What I would do is to make a script that generates a simple Makefile from a list:

a.mp4:
youtube-dl http://link1

b.mp4:
youtube-dl http://link2

c.mp4:
youtube-dl http://link3

(...)

all: a.mp4 b.mp4 c.mp4 (...)

and then do

make -j8 all

which would limit the amount of simultaneously running youtube-dl processes to 8, with no chance of them interfering with each other.
>>
Going to join the Arch club in the next few days, really getting tired of Ubuntu's outdated packages (I'm currently dealing with some libavformat dependency hell and that ain't much fun). How easy is a vanilla install (dual boot)?

I've tried a few things in a VM: Architect, Majaro, Antergos. I've learn neat stuff playing around with their scripts and the way they approach the desktop, and there's definitely some inspiration I'll draw from them all. But none of them were actually satisfying enough to use as a daily driver, it's not quite what I want so far.
>>
>>53766275
I guess the Mint/Ubuntu desktop environments look more like Windows? I dunno.

Debian is stable, just werks, and is popular, so you'll have better support. That's why I'm recommending it.
>>
>>53766332
I just want to try out something new.
>>
>>53766340
Try doing something useful instead. Maybe learn a programming language.
>>
>>53766332
>>53766289
Wait.
Stop.
Now I remember.
The last time I wrote such makefile I discovered there already is a small tool that does exactly that.

http://linux.die.net/man/1/parallel
>>
>>53766334
A bit time consuming but fairly simple, since you're just following instructions.

Antergos is easier to install and works fine, though it's given me a problem or two. Nothing you can't google your way out of, though.

Architect is closer to the "Arch way" of doing everything manually, but the project looks dead, so I don't know if you should go for it.
>>
>>53766334
It's pretty damn easy. If you can finish elementary school, you can install Arch. Why Arch though? Their packages are relatively outdated compared to Void or Gentoo. And those two are as easy to install as Arch.
>>
>>53766338
I see.
I'll do some research on it then.
>>53766357
I have no interest in programming
>then why are you here
I have an interest in technology.
Besides, I already do something useful (music producer).
>>
>>53766332
Doesn't that practically accomplish the same thing as what I just said?

>>53766372
I'd also forgotten about parallel. Never actually used it, though; I should probably rectify that.
>>
>>53765682
>>53765788

and after all that; still no splash screen.
>>
>>53766394
If you produce music you might wanna look into JACK. It's linux's low latency audio server, much like WASAPI or ASIO on Windows.
>>
>>53766401
>Doesn't that practically accomplish the same thing as what I just said?
Well, no. In your case you have arbitrary delays and then you have to hope that those delays do not align in a way that a file is download twice accidentally.
>>
>>53766422
It was in connection to just parsing the file without the use of youtube-dl's batch command: >>53766210
Although I'd probably say to use while read with the input file directed into the loop instead of such a for loop with cat.
>>
>>53766394
I honestly can't imagine a person who would be willing to tinker with a Linux distribution but wouldn't be interested in programming.
>>
>>53766467
It's called a normie user. They exist too. No need to be rude to them, just be happy they use a sane OS.
>>
>>53766465
Ah. That one. Well. Both of these suggestions are by me. The latter one gives you the ability to limit the number of youtube-dl processes working in parallel - the -j8 in the make command.
>>
>>53766486
Which mostly accomplishes the same as adding a check within the loop, yes? Seems simpler to me, if not as elegant. Of course, if just done with pgrep or whatever that'd take any youtube-dl process not spawned by the loop into account as well, which may or may not be preferable.

Just making sure we're on the same page.
>>
>>53766528
I don't see how to do this easily with just loop. Post some code?
>>
>>53766413
I've been interested in Renosie for quite some time, but I don't think ti's worth learning a new DAW, so no, I most likely will not make music in a Linux distro.
>>53766467
It's not that I don't have an interest in programming, it's just that I don't have time to learn.
I used to do some Pearl, Python and Lua stuff in the past (IRC and Minecraft related programming), but I'd much rather focus on music production.
>>
>>53766532
for blah in blahblah; do
mwah &
until this-in-here-turns-true; do
[ $(pgrep -c mwah) -le $whatevernumber ]
done
done

I could have been more clear and mentioned to do the check with a nested loop.
>>
>>53766584
Oh.
Yeah, this would work.
The only downside I see is that pgrep would also count mwah processes launched outside of this script.
>>
>>53766532
>>53766584
Actually, instead of the nested loop, couldn't we just do
if [ $(pgrep -c mwah) -le $whatevernumber ]; then wait; fi

I'm pretty unclear on how wait works. I'll go read its man page.

>>53766626
Yeah, but as mentioned before it could also be an upside. Depends on the use case, I suppose. What irks me more is it's constantly running that test and pgrep, which isn't very elegant, prompting me to think of the above.
>>
>>53766656
(Oh and that code snippet should probably just be "command &&or|| wait", huh?)
>>
>>53766677
>>53766656
Stackoverflow to the rescue.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38160/parallelize-bash-script-with-maximum-number-of-processes

jobs -p lists ids of processes launched to do tasks in parallel.
>>
>>53766734
That's kind of neat.
>>
>>53762255
kek
>>
I'm installing fedora 22 right now from a USB stick and it's just showing the fedora icon for like 5 mins now. What do?
>>
>>53766533
>I've been interested in Renosie for quite some time, but I don't think ti's worth learning a new DAW, so no, I most likely will not make music in a Linux distro.
You know renoise has a linux version right?
>>
>>53767425
>Fedora 22
>22
Why
>>
>>53767442
because it's 23-1
>>
>>53767449
>-1
But why
>>
>>53767461
isn't 23 still sort of developping and changing a lot? I don't know much about it. Why should I install 23? Illuminate me baby.
>>
>>53767501
Dude, 24 is almost out of development. If you install 22 you'd be two releases behind. I don't think it's even supported/updated
>>
>>53767517
does it really matter that much? I could update it later if I want
>>
>>53767528
Is this some sort of an elaborate ruse? It's better to actually install a new version than to uograde. Also I'm not even sure they even support 22. That means all the bugs and security shit isn't being updated. That problem you're having? I might even be fixed in the next version. Also, how did you even find 22? If you went on their page and click download you would automatically download 23
>>
>>53767572
>It's better to actually install a new version than to uograde
how is it better
>>
>>53767572
I just rebooted and now it's working. also I just google fedora 22 and I get it
>>
>>53767501
>isn't 23 still sort of developping and changing a lot?
No, that's not how Fedora works. Quite the opposite; they avoid making major changes after a release has been launched.

>>53767572
>It's better to actually install a new version than to uograde.
Things are quite unlikely to go awry unless the user has been messing around, Anon.
>>
>>53767607
>Things are quite unlikely to go awry unless the user has been messing around, Anon.
Possibly, but there is no better feeling that a fresh install. The first time you boot it up, everything is fresh, snappy, doesn't feel bogged down...ughh, pure bliss.
>>
>>53767607
Oh, I see. Well it's too late now. It's installing, but would it be a problem to work in Fedora 22. It's not my main computer, just a laptop I have that I don't really use.
>>
>>53767600
>also I just google fedora 22 and I get it
Please tell me your reasoning behind this. Why did you even do it this, instead of just pressing download on the main page?
>>
>>53767623
That sounds very Windowsy, but to each their own, I suppose. I prefer not having to spend any time reinstalling applications and whatnot.
>>
>>53767645
professor in school told me Fedora is sort of used as beta for Red Hat. I'm not sure if he told me to install currentversion-1, which is 22 right now or if I just decided to do it myself. That is my only reasoning. Am I retarded?
>>
>>53767662
Think of it as doing spring cleaning.
>>
So, I've recently installed arch on my laptop. Two drives, one mSATA SSD and one spinnin disc. Arch sees the normal drive, I can mount it (manually or on boot), but cannot write to it (permission denied). Tried all sorts of fstab settings to no avail. What the hell am I doing wrong?
>>
>>53767681
You were under the impression that what you did would provide you a better experience. Being misinformed does not imply being retarded, Anon.
>>
>>53767430
...yes, that's why I brought it up.
>>
>>53767681
>Am I retarded?
No, of course not. But your prof did use the wrong wording. Fedora isnt exactly made as a test bed, its a full fledged distro on it own. It's just that RedHat waits a while to see what is good and uses that in their own enterprise linux. Since they sell support for it they want to be 100% sure shit works.

Besides you can always upgrade to 23 once you've managed to install your thing now.
>>
The GPL is fundamentally evil and communist. True freedom is the freedom to do what you wish with your software. ANYTHING. Not what stallman wants you to do with it.
>>
>>53767759
You have that freedom while licensing your software as GPL.
GPL removes that freedom from other people to keep your software free.
>>
>>53767759
>True freedom is the freedom to do what you wish with your software.
>your software
Nobody is forcing you to choose that license
>>
>>53767749
Also, to prevent further misunderstandings. Fedora has it's own test version called Rawhide, which has the newest software, and would be considered unstable. You don't have to purposefully download older versions to have a stable install.
>>
Goddamn. didn't get the job.
Hoe do you learn sysadmin stuff, if you have no money for your own servers?
What about maintaining and configuring mailservers?
I was too thirsty for the job and drowned in their prerquisites.
>>
>>53768014
>if you have no money for your own servers
Use VMs.
>>
>>53768014

I'm not really up to date on your quest, but how didn't you feel shame going in for such a job without any actual qualifications? Just thinking about that makes me anxious and down since I realize how unqualified I am.
>>
>>53768038
I am tired of being ashamed. That is the reason.

>>53768034
Okay.

Any tips on how to delve deeper after doing the basic sysadmin tutorial?
>>
does obongo have a central ppa search ?
can it be integrated into one of the gui package helpers?
>>
>>53768014
>if you have no money for your own servers?
what are you trying to buy? ive gotten computers for as little as 5usd
>>
>>53768014
>if you have no money for your own servers?
A Raspberry Pi or similar isn't too costly. You don't generally need very powerful hardware for your own stuff. Probably more useful and more motivating than just trying to learn stuff in a VM, too.
>>
>>53768080
I want to build a small server in my very small room to practice and learn sysadmin work.
I don't think I can get away without paying at least a hundred for all the equipment I might need.
>>
>>53768097
Never did any server stuff, aside very basic tutorials, on which I want to grow on.
>>
>>53768112
Consider using an old laptop, a Raspberry Pi, or something like it.
>>
>>53767759
>Communist

You don't know what that word means.
>>
File: DSC_0087.jpg (2 MB, 2940x3920) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0087.jpg
2 MB, 2940x3920
>>53768112
you dont need server grade hardware. both in pic are single cores, pre2007. left is ftp, bittorrent and webserver. right was webserver but power supply failed. im too lazy to go to my recycling center and buy a $5 psu.
>>
Using terminator as my terminal emulator, if I cd to another directory, then open a new tab, it opens in that directory, rather than my home. I'd rather not do something hacky like cd ~/ in ~/.bashrc, but I can't see an option for this in preferences. Am I missing it or what?
>>
[[ -z $DISPLAY && $XDG_VTNR -eq 1 ]] && exec startx

is my current .zprofile (starts with login shell).
Xorg starts fine but why wouldn't:

[[ -z $DISPLAY && $XDG_VTNR -eq 1 ]] && exec startx &&
xmodmap .speedswapper &&
set -o vi &&
feh --bg-fill Iceweasel_wallpaper.png

etc. be working?
>>
>>53768351
My initial reaction is that nothing past startx gets run until startx ends, but I've no idea how exec works. If everything gets run, maybe it happens too early? You could redirect the output of those files to /tmp and see what it says, e.g. xmodmap .speedswapper &>/tmp/xmodlog &&
>>
>>53763810
>Is Linux very strict about not keeping system vital files in /home, so that no broken links or dependencies will exist with /home?

Yes. The only things in /home are files you put there and local config files (and even those most likely have a global counterpart in /etc)
>>
>>53768351
feh is fickle about display and x
try
DISPLAY=$DISPLAY feh --bg-fill Iceweasel_wallpaper.png

this probably not work since DISPLAY= will try to define $DISPLAY
making it as an excutable script might though
>>
>>53768532
>DISPLAY=$DISPLAY
fun things are fun!
>>
>>53768627
>this probably not work since DISPLAY= will try to define $DISPLAY
<citation needed>
>>
>>53768737
i didn't say that, >>53768532 did

"DISPLAY=$DISPLAY feh" simply overrides DISPLAY with the contents of DISPLAY when running feh
that is, it doesn't change anything, hence, fun things are fun. DISPLAY is DISPLAY
>>
Alright I'm pretty fucked. I want to install Fedora 23 now and it just gives me a list with the nouveau errors. I have a GTX 860m and intel HD 4000 graphics. How the fuck do I fix this?
>>
>>53768814
% echo $DISPLAY
:0.0
% DISPLAY=$DISPLAY echo $DISPLAY
>>
>>53768829
>Optimus
Yea good luck with that.
>>
>>53768848
what you mean?
>>
Hey /flt/

Any idea why I'm getting this crap printed out on every single prompt?

I'm on Ubuntu 15.10 ssh'd into an Ubuntu 14.04 server.
>>
>>53761724
I have found laptops to be more fussy on account of more specialized hardware. If it runs good on the laptop for you testing then the desktop should be fine.
So start with the laptop*,
*assuming the systems are of equal value to you, if not test least valuable system first. Last thing you want is you primary to fail.
>>
>>53768841
Psst!
$ helloanon="you need to divide this before running echo" echo $helloanon

$ likethis="much better, see"; echo $likethis
much better, see

Something to keep in mind.
>>
>>53768961
and backups should go without saying
>>
>>53768216
I don't know about terminator but if it's the same as gnome-terminal then that behaviour is provided by functions hooked in PROMPT_COMMAND
you can probably just add
unset PROMPT_COMMAND

in your ~/.bashrc
>>
Why do arch linux ricers all use urxvt? Is it just because it's "cool" to copy eachother? It seems to me like xterm is just as good if not better.
>>
>>53768920
Something fancy is set in .bashrc or wherever that doesn't play well with your setup. A similar sight is common in some terminals if you don't unset PROMPT_COMMAND. Might actually very well be the very same thing here.
>>
>>53768962
oh right, the variable is resolved before the line is run, my bad
this isn't a problem relating to >>53768532 though, feh will get the 'updated' DISPLAY
>>
>>53769000
this doesn't work i'm afraid, thanks anyway.

also checked
>>
>>53769018
for completeness sake
% echo $DISPLAY
% DISPLAY=invalid feh
feh ERROR: Can't open X display. It *is* running, yeah?
>>
>regret not using linux back ~2007
>still delay learning to use it today
>in 2030 if i'm not using VR to play with linux in virtual 2007 minus the tedium i'll be regretting not using linux in 2016
>>
File: s.png (2 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
s.png
2 MB, 1680x1050
installed linux for the first time, tweaked it a little bit to look good, got chrome, zsh, atom, and some codecs installed... now what?
>>
>>53769052
Get rid of chrome, obviously. :^)
>>
>>53769052
extend your wings and ascend to the skies of freedom
>>
>>53769012

Hmm, I haven't altered either .bashrc.

I could try unsetting PROMT_COMMAND. Would that be on the local machine and not the remote?
>>
>>53769103
The PROMPT_COMMAND business is commonly found in /etc/bashrc which tends to get sourced by users .bashrc. I believe it would be on the remote machine.
>>
>>53769052
That is numix theme right? Looks nice.
>now what
Why do people keep asking this? I guess the cool thing would be to learn shell and make your computer do cool stuff, its what all the cool kids do on the cool block, it really cool
>>
>>53769052
Congratulations you're now part of an elite pantheon of intellectuals.
>>
>>53769186
>intellectuals
>Ubanto
i r8 8/8
>>
>>53769173
it's actually the paper theme, but i got numix icons because paper's icons sucked
>>
>>53769273
Yea I was looking at the Icons. Forgot they are done separately
>>
>>53768880
Because I own a laptop and setting Linux to work with Optimus and it is fucking murder
>>
>>53769363
got any tips? I'm going to install bumblebee, is that good?
>>
>>53769393
Hmm from what I remember you can't install the proprietary drivers and them bumblebee on top of it. You just need to install bumblebee.

Why are you trying to make it work exactly?
>>
>>53769443
so I can boot my fucking laptop, it just starts the pc and shows the errors and that's it
>>
File: 1440432681818.jpg (79 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1440432681818.jpg
79 KB, 500x281
Am looking at Desktop Environments and Windows Mangers for new Debian install.

Going light, but functional with future support in mind as I hope to use it for a long time.

After some helpful advice from other /g/ threads I think I picked LXQt over the much recommended Xfce as they have similarities but the newer Qt branch offers a longer life outlook so I am betting it will grow into something better, although admittedly at this time Xfce seems better.

So I am now looking at my secondary option for pushing my comfort level, as I know I can use just about any light DE with little trouble. But they aren't as light as just using a straight windows manager.

So I am trying to compare Windoes Managers like "Awesome vs Openbox vs i3 vs iceWM vs other" but the reviews I find are very generic and often seem it lack justification on why one should be picked over the others.
Any insight based on my goals?
>>
>>53769547
What? That should have happened. The open source driver should have worked fine. Was this a fresh install of did you tinker with it before it went AWOL?
>>
>>53769571
Shouldn't
>>
>>53769571
I installed Fedora 22 with a USB first, it showed the errors and after the list was finished it went to the loading screen and showed me the fedora icon but after that nothing really happened. So I rebooted using the power button, then it showed the list again but it did start. I installed it and rebooted. It showed the list again and it took 5 mins or more to show me the fedora icon. Then I installed 23 using a DVD and it got stuck at the fedora icon again. Then I could boot it by selecting something else at startup but forgot what. and now it is booted but I'm scared to reboot so I'll just do the bumblebee shit and see what will happen. If you can help me, please do because I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing.
>>
>>53769682
Yea, bumblebee is not going to help you here. All it does is it helps you open a program with nvidia card instead of the Intel one. You're obviously having other issues FYI you could have start with 'hey I have this problem with booting my Fedora 23 install'...

You should probably reboot and see what happens
>>
>>53769771
well I googled it first and didn't really found similar problems. I'm having these nouveau errors
>>
>>53762307
https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/guide-how-to-install-linux-on-acer-chromebook-15/80092

prefer Ubuntu MATE
>>
>>53769819
>I'm having these nouveau errors
Shieeet that is way out of my ball park. I think I'll tag someone else.
>>
How do I fix the screen flicker whenever I move my mouse or windows across multiple monitors in arch? I'm using openbox and xrandr.
>>
>>53763500
obanto, just not unity.

Debian if you want to learn.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.