[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to make the switch from Windows Botnet 7 to another
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: pc-bsd.jpg (107 KB, 1078x431) Image search: [Google]
pc-bsd.jpg
107 KB, 1078x431
I'm going to make the switch from Windows Botnet 7 to another operating system and the most user-friendly ones seem to be Ubuntu and PC-BSD. I see a lot of stuff about Linux distros on here all the time but never about BSD so therefore I thought I'd make a thread about it.

What does /g/ think of PC-BSD? Any experience? Would you recommend it over Ubuntu?
>>
I tried FreeBSD once, and got everything up and running with a DE. I would say it's not ready for desktop/workstation use unless you're a developer and can tailor the entire thing for your/your company's own specialized use. There are too many quirks, too many things that don't really work too well because they're half ass ports from Linux code.
>>
>chromium
>tracking free guarantee
seems legit
>>
The documentation is better for *BSD and BSD code is in fact of much higher quality. The only downside is not a very wide hardware support.
FreeBSD is more of a server OS but it's great if you want more custumization and if you have the time to tailor it to your needs. If not, I recommend you try PC-BSD, it's basically FreeBSD pre-configured for convenient desktop use.
>>
JUST USE UBUNTU
>>
>>53760989
desu
>>
>>53760518
Use Xubuntu or fedora, plain Ubuntu has amazon Spyware and unity
>>
>>53760518
I don't have anything against BSD but at this moment the linux kernel is much more complete so if you need to choose between linux and bsd i'd recommend linux. Regarding to what distro ubuntu is well crafted for the normal user but consider only using the latest LTS, 14.04 in this case and optionally you can wait for the 16.04 which will be launched in one moth. I don't recommend you the intermediate versions. Regarding flavors the safest but somewhat limited regarding customization is the default ubuntu but i recommend you xubuntu imho.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.