[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, I have two questions for you: >What's your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 21
File: Bill_Gates_June_2015.jpg (880 KB, 996x1408) Image search: [Google]
Bill_Gates_June_2015.jpg
880 KB, 996x1408
Hey /g/, I have two questions for you:

>What's your job?
>Do you like it?
>>
>>53759729
neet
no
>>
>>53759729
>What's your job?
PhD student

>Do you like it?
Yes
>>
phd student
meh. academia is basically mostly rejections and you don't really get to rest on your laurels when you get success, so it's emotionally pretty draining. but i also swept loading docks growing up and this definitely beats that.
>>
>software ""engineer"" in a large tech company
>it's very comfy, but i miss university tbqh. i don't want to be an adult
>>
>>53759770
>academia is basically mostly rejections
I have a track record of 100% acceptance rate so far.

1 journal paper and 3 conference papers and 2 demo papers and 1 poster.
>>
>>53759745
>>53759770
PhD student in what exactly?

>>53759785
Sounds good.
>>
>>53759785

What percentage of your day do you actually spend productively writing code?

How much OT do you work?

Does all your code get reviewed?
>>
>>53759729
neet
yes
>>
File: kk.jpg (32 KB, 250x302) Image search: [Google]
kk.jpg
32 KB, 250x302
>>
>>53759829
Probably nothing significant otherwise he would have specified
>>
>>53759729
hey bill

employed
yes
>>
>>53759729
Database operator

Salary is a joke but it's only 6 hours a day so I'm OK with it

plenty of time for shitposting
>>
>>53759864
>What percentage of your day do you actually spend productively writing code?
very little, we're transitioning between projects atm so it's an awkward phase where there isn't much to do. i've worked for about 35 hours a week for the past month (getting paid for 45+ hours). and maybe half of it was spent coding. like i said, it's a very comfy job. the pay is great, high job security, and we don't work that hard. that's one of the advantages of a large company. thinking of joining a startup, though.
>How much OT do you work?
i don't know what OT means.
>Does all your code get reviewed?
when i was an intern, yes, but now that i've been working as a full time engineer for a solid year i do what i want most of the time. sometimes it's required to review, though. when you're introducing a big feature or something like that. the review is done by a random person from the team, usually someone working on something unrelated so you have to explain everything.
>>
>>53759793
>I have a track record of 100% acceptance rate so far.
Talk to literally anyone with a PhD. Apply for fellowships and other funding. Be first author on more submissions.

The revelation among senior PhD students is that academia is mostly (e.g. 2/3) rejections, and that you succeed by working and not giving up despite failure.

you haven't experienced the aspect of graduate school that causes people to drop out (rejection). so prepare yourself for that. and apply to more competitive conferences because if you've never gotten rejected, it sounds like you're aiming low or something. talk to your advisor about this.

>>53759829
I'm in CS, but there are lots of subfields in CS so this doesn't really help you much. I'm not going to get much more specific than that though.
>>
>>53759729
Fine arts/liberal arts students
Yes yet I'm somehow doubting about degree and shit. My teacher doesn't want me to learn just programming and robotic this semester in my workshop class since it won't have any art result in the end of the semester, only knowledge. Wtf
>>
>>53759960

>i don't know what OT means.

Not sure if joke, or you are really chilling so hard you don't know the abbreviation for overtime.
>>
>>53759729
Cripple (hip)

no job.
>>
>>53759785
hey your keyboard is broken you're doubling the number of quotation marks just letting you know.
>>
>>53759986
salaried employees don't get paid overtime, so it's not surprising that he would have no notion of terms relevant to wage employees. if he's never worked a wage in his life, why would he know about this stuff?
>>
>>53759729
Was formerly an entry level fuck at a technical consulting company. We set up this one cloud application thing for other companies. I fucking hated it.

now I'm a neet. I hate that too, but I hate it less.
>>
>>53759900
Why is everyone posting this picture?
>>
>>53759731
dis
>>
>>53760125
it's some chucklefuck trying to force a meme. mock or disregard him at your preference
>>
File: 1409381430395.jpg (210 KB, 850x1039) Image search: [Google]
1409381430395.jpg
210 KB, 850x1039
>What's your job?
Software engineer.
>Do you like it?
The job itself is fine. Everything is done by the book. We have dedicated testers and code reviews. The work is not too stressful, and occasionally an interesting problem comes along. I'm one of a handful of developers working on the system, so I'm given freedom to work on different parts.

I plan to go back to school to get a masters soon. I don't really need a masters, and in fact, having more work experience would probably be more valuable in terms of negotiating salary. I miss school though.

I think a big part of it is the fact that when you're on a campus, you rarely spend more than a few hours in any given class per day. You're outside walking a lot. You have a lot of variation in your environment. When you start working, you're in the same office, usually the same cube, for pretty much the entire day, five days in a row. It starts to wear you out after a while. The area I live also has horrible traffic, and the commute itself is very draining.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you're still in university, try to enjoy it...
>>
>>53759986
>>53760007
kek, that abbreviation is just not common in my country, never heard of it.
i get paid a fixed global salary, according to my contract it's in exchange of 9 hours a day plus overtime, meaning that should the need arise i will work the extra hours and not ask for more because my salary already covers it. so far i can safely say that during my short career i probably worked an average of less 9 hours a day.
there were times where i worked 12 hours, but that wasn't because of pressure or anything, i just wanted to get something over with.
in other teams it's pretty common, though. i have a friend who works almost 50 hours weekly. i'm chilling pretty hard tho.
>>
>>53759745
PhD student isn't a fucking job faggot. Especially in CS. My man, my senpai...kill yocelph

>job
Internal systems support for luxottica

>like it?
The directors and VPs are good people that make the job enjoyable. If it wasn't for them being normal people I'd probably become an hero
>>
>>53760240
i know your feel all too well my friend. considering a masters too, though i'm 29 so i'm not sure it's a great idea. i really, really miss university. and the sad part is i never appreciated it when i was there, i almost never went to classes and kept a very small group of friends. wish i could go back in time
>>
>>53760240
the thing is, all your life you've always had social structure given to you with no effort. kindergarten, school, college, uni.. you were handed people your age and roughly with the same interests. girls too. when you're an adult you suddenly realize you no longer have that, and it's up to you to create this social environment yourself. and it's difficult, many people just stop socializing.
>>
>>53759729
NLP dev

Yes, company has many perks like free food
>>
Hey guys, I need a bit of help with this:
> Goes through recruiting agency for a job
> Lv 1 Helpdesk with a huge company
> Not too shabby
> Helpdesk is primarily software support over the phone
> Went in for an interview and it went really well.
> Got a call today that the recruiter got the message that I would be better suited for a hardware role.
> wtf.jpg
> Apparently the interviewer has recommended me for another position within her company
> Hardware is basically meh
> Would it be worth doing that hardware position for 1 year and then trying to get another helpdesk job?
I'm just worried about getting trapped in hardware forever. That and I don't have much experience in hardware as all.
I want to be a network admin once I get my CCNA or my CCNP so I imagine that it would be 80% software and 20% hardware.
>Can I get trapped in hardware forever?

>As for what's my job:
Student
>Do I like it:
Yeah it's pretty sick
>>
>>53759729

Laboratory assistant

Sometimes
>>
I'm a student, I have a software eng job lined up but I may not graduate this semester because I'm a retard. Fucking stressing over it but I figure I can just come back later in the year to finish my degree.
>>
student in 4th year.

at this point i dont even give a shit about my classes. which is bad. because of this, my code is utter shit (copy & pasting code, as long as it just works im gonna submit it, little to no functions, not organized at all, etc.). thankfully my TA doesnt give a shit about our code and only looks at our reports.
>>
>>53759729
Project/Development Manger with MTS, pays >150k salary (not posting exact so not to be tracked or known that I post on 4chan, also don't want them to know about my past). I fucking love it.

I majored in CS, this job has nothing to do with CS, and I only work around between 35-45hr/wk. with full health benefits for myself and my boys (including dental).

Finished off my student loans within 2 years (was very challenging) by living in the least expensive studio I could find (1300/mo) and kept eating top-ramen and cup-noodle.
I now own a nice house and will likely ask my girlfriend to marry me by the end of the year..

I was working at Subway through college, I was a homeless drug addict before starting college, and grew up in a single-parent household with an alcoholic mother who I saw once or twice a week.

By 2020 I should be able to afford to have my mom move in next door (if she quits drinking), and if I can remain frugal with my spending, I'll be able to retire by the time I'm 45 (got my AA from a CC when I was 26, completed my 4 year when I was 28, paid off my student loans when i was almost 30.

Once I'm 45 (if I manage to reach my retirement goal), I'll be able to spend at least 10 solid years with my boys, then spend the rest of my retirement traveling with my future-wife.

I'm getting job offers from companies who are offering me greater pay right now. It would be the smart decision to take the job, but my current job is so damn nice in terms of benefits and lack of stress that I'll probably stick with it.

If you're thinking about majoring in CS, minor in business / finance. You will have absolutely no problem finding a job, and a well paying job at that. Also, whether or not you intern through college isn't as important as networking. Meet everybody you possibly can, even if the person looks like a bum or is failing his classes. It pays off, trust me it pays off. Interning is great too, but networking is far more important.
>>
>>53760771

>have bachelors in finance and CFA part 1
>work as a developer

Not sure if I should just go back for a Masters in IT management. The thing stopping me is that I know it will be a joke degree and I will never even remotely use it.
>>
>>53760944
The people hiring for those positions actually care about having them, for some insane reason. I'd go for it, but try your hand at networking more beforehand. I was damn lucky in finding my job, I did everything possible to make friends with anybody I met. I constantly paid for drinks (don't drink myself), kept up with people that were clearly underachievers, etc. etc.
I didn't associate with these people, but I knew that they must have had family connections if they were able to pay through school with something like a 2.5 GPA.

I don't know if I would go for it, personally. That's a hell of a lot more debt to take on, but see if the companies you're interested in are taking notice of degrees like that. The whole "overqualified" thing is a complete myth. As long as you can get into the interview, if they try to pull the "You seem far too qualified for this position", you can just say "I'd like to get to know the company from the ground-up, even if I end up in upper management in the future". There are plenty of ways around that question.

Realistically, though, Masters are more focussed on research, rather than working middle-management or upper-management. Those are fine paths to take as well, but much more rigorous. I just wanted a comfortable job that had an air of respect from the title alone.

I actually ended up loving school, and have thought about transferring to an IVY (I graduated from UC Berkeley) for the experience alone. I fell in love with learning. I'm a pretty slow guy, I have a hard time learning, but I devoted a ton of time to studying, and I enjoyed learning new things, even if they weren't relevant to my topic. It wasn't a wise business decision for me to pursue a Masters, though, so I decided against it.
>>
>>53759729
>job?
IT help desk for a 7-10 public school
>enjoy?
Yes

At this point it's like 50% free time, so I'm doing my own side stuff, and the kids are pretty cool, it's the teachers that are retarded
>>
>>53760944
I'd also add that you have great qualifications for a startup, just make sure you don't use your own money. The "startup" culture is starting to become more stable as investors are more rigid about who/what they're investing in. So there's going to be far fewer "The Uber of X" or "The Facebook of X" programs getting funding, especially if they don't have a solid financial model.

I have a family member who works as a mentor with the largest & most influential 'Angel Investor' firm in Mountain View. His boss is actually on that show Silicon Valley, which makes for some funny conversation.

He's been talking to me about how too many startups think they can just show up with an idea and a quick draft of their program, but have no numbers or projections to back them up, only ideas that they think are going to sell. These investors used to put *some* money into these, mainly because it was such a low initial investment that it didn't matter and would be worth the risk if it paid off, essentially gambling. That model is changing on it's head right now, and you need projections, a fully working product, and strong numbers to back your projections (it just didn't work like this before).

With your credentials, you could definitely help these startups get the paperwork they need, and even create your own startup at some point. Obviously you would need a project, but you're ahead of many others in the business who don't have an accounting degree, some don't even have degrees. Those credentials are important in the startup culture now, or will be in the very near future.

Obviously your best bet is to work with a firm, though, and receive salary. Then you can move on to work on building and selling startups.

Anyway, best of luck.

Sorry if I'm being too 'chipper' for /g/, I just got a solid raise and and am pretty much high on enthusiasm right now.

If you need a connection on Linkedin, let me know and I'll make a quick burner email.
>>
>>53759729
Professional Sandwich Artist
I also have an interview with the Target Deli department on Friday, so things are looking up!
>do you like it
It's okay while I'm in school
>>
>>53761496
>>53761192

I appreciate your reply. Cool to hear about the raise. I need to demand one, but I also don't want to be in a situation where I am looking for another job atm. Decision decisions.
>>
Freelance audio engineer. I love it but all my clients are word of mouth so i have some broke moments
>>
>>53760771
If you don't mind me asking, what was your career path like?
>>
>>53760240
Andddddddddd fuck my life. All my doubts being in my final year of uni confirmed.
>>
Butcher

Most of the time
>>
>>53760240
Dude listen. I was a comfy software engineer like yourself. Spent 2 hours in commute total everyday. Thought the job got kinda boring and I would get my masters, so I could get a more interesting sw dev position. Fast forward to now, it looks like I will get the same kind of job I had before. Even with good school name, very high GPA, deep knowledge of <specialized area>, few projects in that area (which I am able to discuss and break down), and few years of work experience, the most entry level <specialied> dev positions I apply to do not give me an interview. Fucking letdown! I don't know what I did wrong, I guess a side project is the way to go.

And the first month of my master's I was in shock at how exhausted I was from everything I had to do everyday. Comfy job is comfy, remember that.
>>
>>53763199
This is why you shouldn't be worried about "interesting" jobs and just take the highest paid one and retire as early as possible.
>>
>after hours firewall call center tech
>fuck no, don't make enough to deal with that much bullshit
>>
>>53763229
Yep, I learned the hard way. Fucking sucks that I could've just gotten salary with less stress instead of this advanced degree. Btw when interviewing for my 1st job, I got close to a Whatsapp offer. Just imagine...fuck
>>
>What's your Job?
Warehouse worker.

>Do you like it?
No, but it pays well .
>>
>Military
>Not just no, but fuck no.
>>
>>53760125
Brain cancer and/or 11 years old
>>
>>53759731
A NEET or neet is a young person who is "Not in Education, Employment, or Training". The acronym NEET was first used in the United Kingdom but its use has spread to other countries including Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan.

>You're a waste or air.
>You're nothing that is worth to be kept around
>You need a job to even be considered useful.

Where do you get your income, your mom?
>>
>>53760137
>>>>>>>>>>>>>53763711
>>
>>53763711
NEET here, not the guy you replied to.

I have some cash saved up from a previous job and I sell stuff on Ebay.

Need a job soon before I go broke and need to rely on mom, although frankly I don't pay rent so I guess I'm already a leech.
>>
>>53759729
>musician
>yes
>>
>software development engineer at Amazon
>no. but the money is great
>>
>>53763199
> no interviews

your resume must be fucked, or you aren't trying. there are places out there absolutely desperate to recruit halfway decent devs.
>>
Doing automation for the german auto industry.

Its ok. Much better if Simens werent souch assholes.
>>
File: watch it all.gif (53 KB, 596x384) Image search: [Google]
watch it all.gif
53 KB, 596x384
>>53759729
>work at health food store
>its alright wont quit anytime soon
>>
>>53759729
Desktop Engineer.

Yeah, I know....

Still make more money than 90% of people on this board.
>>
>>53764817
How much do you make per month famalam?
>>
1.5 line support
No

Next fucker who complains about their cryptolocked computer being in for service for more than half a day gets shot. Whoever gets a cryptolocker also gets shot. Whoever complains that "nothing works" gets hanged and whoever complains about their computer not working after forcing it shut during update and blame it on me geta crucified.

I should specislise in AS400 so I can tell people to fuck off
>>
I make a lot of dough
Yes, it's very nice to make money for a living.
>>
webdev
its alright
pay is good for my age and education level, and i can shitpost most of the day without anyone noticing or caring
>>
>>53759729
literally going to accept this offer now

did I do good /g/ ? :)
>>
File: 1458141936911.jpg (6 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1458141936911.jpg
6 KB, 300x200
>>53759729
Data entry.

Yes, I like it. I can listen to audiobooks all day. It pays enough to live on, isn't stressful, and is not challenging at all. But I don't know, maybe this is as good as it gets.
>>
File: 1458631568450.gif (601 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1458631568450.gif
601 KB, 320x240
>unemployed
>it's alright
>>
>>53765043
just accepted this, atm anyway I'm a senior full stack dev on a big enterprise, but they won't allow remote anymore so I'm moving to that
>>
>What's your job?
Iteration Manager
>Do you like it?
yup
>>
File: 1458035470939.jpg (441 KB, 650x867) Image search: [Google]
1458035470939.jpg
441 KB, 650x867
network engineer

yes i love my job
>>
Technical assistant in a prestigious high school's technology wing.
I do enjoy it a lot, but all the kids who just drain my time away from those who actually want to learn is rather annoying.
It's fun being able to fuck around on laser cutters, 3d printers, and whatever the hell else I feel like when I want, plus it gives me the freedom to work on my own little projects in my spare time, but I don't think I'll be there forever.
>>
File: 1456995900150.jpg (56 KB, 663x511) Image search: [Google]
1456995900150.jpg
56 KB, 663x511
Retail at best buy/walmart

I really dislike best buy, but walmart is alright.
Both are boring as shit though.
>>
>>53759785
>>53760240
>>53760771
>>53763199
>>53765233
>>53765390

I'm a student nearly finishing bachelors on informatics engineering/cs. I might go straight to master's cause why not. How did you guys transition from univ to actual work?

Did you have friends who got you in, did you just apply to a ton of places that seemed cool, or searched for job ads on an area you liked? It still feels like a mystery to me as to how you actually get a job after getting through univ, and I'd like to know what I'm supposed to do afterwards
>>
>>53759729
>>What's your job?
I work as a pharmacist

>>53759729
>>Do you like it?
Yes (:
>>
>Job
Cashier at Lowe's

>Do you like it
Some days. The people I work with are better than the job

I plan on going back to the factory I used to weld at so I can actually make some money and go from there
>>
>>53765505
i have no cs degree or any kind of tech education, but as linux enthusiast i've had good skills and after interview i was hired. experience is the key.
>>
>>53759729
> JPL Intern
> Not bad

Sometimes the review process (ICR, PDR, CDR, ...) is pretty boring and frustrating but I can live with it
>>
>>53764152
FUCK YOU, I WAS EXPECTING SOMETHING GOOD
>>
>>53759729
shitkicker
yes
>>
Bill Gates is starting to look like Andy Dick
>>
my job is to aquire pussy
>>
>>53760007
>Not getting half or even double time for working overtime while being a salaried employee with benefits.
This is the test to see if your company finds you disposable.
>>
English student, aka: future blogger.

Kill me.
>>
File: 09830945.jpg (909 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
09830945.jpg
909 KB, 2048x1536
>>53766516
>>
>>53766797
Hey, at least most of the people I follow on youtube were English majors. Guess they just know how to make whatever they're talking about sound interesting.
>>
Lifeguard
No
>>
>>53765505
same guy from the comfy job and feels here:
i went to a good university and big companies were riding our dick trying to get us to work for them as interns during the studies, i didn't even have a good GPA but i still got in easily. it's much easier if you have a person on the inside (even if he's another intern) that throws in a good word for you. and after you finish uni they offer you a real job if they like you (you usually have to fuck up pretty bad for them to not like you).
anyway, that's how it works in my country.
>go to a good uni and have good grades
>do some internship while you're still a student
>have someone on the inside
>>
>>53767143
also
>start a side project
i don't have one but i'm thinking about starting one soon in the field of machine learning. i want to score a new job doing that and i need something to show for. i believe this will make you stand our from most people.

also i will gladly take ideas if you have them on an interesting ML problem to solve
>>
>>53760278
Most PhD students get paid for their research, with a full on salary. You're either stupid or 12. Either way, fuck off.
>>
software "engineer" for a startup

it's fun. no project managers to tell me what to do and pressure me to finish early (it's just kind of known that everything needs to be done ASAP). all of my coworkers are awesome. i can just waste the day away getting drunk, and my boss will just say "nice" (obviously there are limits here though). i have a large say in what languages/frameworks we use even though i'm a more junior programmer.
>>
>>53759956
Whats the pay if you don't mind me asking anon?
>>
>>53759989
emphasis, maybe? pffft
>>
>>53759729
> part time developer
> love it
------
> CS student (last year)
> hate it
>>
>>53760289
>25
still think I have a chance?
>>
>>53767166
make a chrome addon that identifies and blocks anime images

use a deep conv net
>>
>>53760565

age anon?
>>
>>53759729
>Technical Analyst
>Love it, when I am not making product documentation in visio, I am either sunsetting old hardware, or planning new deployments. When there are project gaps I get to shitpost on /g/
>>
>>53765505
that's my linkedin at the moment! this thing is crazy... also don't follow /g/ advices if you want to be a fairly successful developer!
>>
>>53767288
p.s. I'm the guy >>53765043
>>53765233

didn't went to university, went straight to development for the last 9 years, used c# php java groovy ruby python and in the last 4 years I'm full stack JS which is madly requested as GOOD full stack js developers are rare :)
>>
>>53767007
pool or beach?
>>
File: 1459069767880.gif (1 MB, 400x254) Image search: [Google]
1459069767880.gif
1 MB, 400x254
>>53765043
>>
>>53767354
why would it be? i literally just deleted the name of the company ^^ my current job is at 44k more or less so it's still a fair bump
>>
>>53759729
Web dev
Mostly php and js

I mean, I am not a webfag fan but it gives me money and It's pretty easy.

I don't love it. It's ok I guess
>>
>>53765070
How do you get into data entry, trying to find a job just throws "home at work mum scams"..
>>
>>53759729
hacker
yes
>>
>>53767414
> gets $20 to use a known exploit on a joomla website
> mum! I'm hacker now

anyway it's either pen tester or IT security or else... hacker is just a buzzword
>>
>>53767414
How do you get into hacking, trying to find a job just throws "home at work mum scams"..
>>
>>53767438
>believing it
>>
>>53767438
Went to electrical school , continued in illegal waters, self taught things they dont teach you in academia. Got connected with certain like-minded people. Practice.
>>53767433
>implying its all about software
buzz off monkey
>>
>>53767508
Its all about the floppy disk right?
>>
>>53767508
>illegal waters
whut?
>>
>>53767508
damn I knew it there was something in my mouse that spied my pedo porn... too bad I was on acid
>>
>>53767243
of course, where i live it's common to start uni at ~23, it's not rare for people to be 25+ when they start their bsc.
>>
>>53759729
>>What's your job?
Software Developer
>>Do you like it?
More often than not
>>
>>53767191
I interned for a successful mobile development startup for the summer. It was really fun.

There were some seriously smart developers there, and some other who were the "hackathon hacker ruby on rails" kinda people, but it was super chill. I was basically told to brainstorm an app I wanted to build for the summer and was given all the tools and resources to do so.

I also learned how much fucking money people pay for apps. Jesus. They had some really big fortune 500 companies want some sort of application made that were well into the 6 figures.. plus regular payments to support its development after release.
>>
>>53764840
70k a year
>>
>>53767933
99% of this board makes over 100K/year it's public knowledge senpai
>>
>>53759729
Multimedia technician
it has its moments.
Free (as in beer) enterprise software for one.
>>
>>53759729
jobless bum
it's not that bad but i'd prefer to be employed.
>>
>>What’s your job?
Test manager

>>Do you like it?
I kind of fell into testing after dropping out of university and worked my way up.

The pay is a lot better than most other people my age earn, even if it lower than typical for the job.

but the work itself is usually either very easy or good fun. The occasional days i don't enjoy just serve to keep me grounded.
>>
'desk side support' (cable monkey at a law firm).
It fucking blows I hate my life I feel financially trapped here
>>
>What’s your job?
GIS Analyst for a utility company

>Do you like it?
Yes. I like maps but the job is really easy, I need something more stimulating.

Pay is alright but could be better.
>>
I wish I had a job.
Got my assoc degree and transferred into final year of ba. dropped out within few weeks. Not one callback. no job experience. no referees. no money. i am fucked
>>
I install Windows on computers one at a time at a major energy company building. I fucking love this job, but its only temporary. $20 an hour for piss easy work though.
>>
>>53767247
this is actually not a bad idea other than the anime part. that will just make me look creepy.
maybe blocking something else..
also i'd rather to do something web-based, i'm also into web dev recently. i just find it fun
>>
>>53767247
Make a chrome addon that uses ML to block porn sites and NSFW pictures
>>
>Fullstack developer for a smallish startup type company (they don't call themselves a startup but they've got like 10 employees and pretty much act like one)
>yes
Only working there until august though
>>
>>53767929
>I also learned how much fucking money people pay for apps
They take often several developers often working full time on them for months to make. Even if they get paid peanuts (lets say 2000€ a month for simplicity) a 5 month development cycle with 3 developers would cost 30k€ in salaries
>>
>>53759729
unix systems architect

eh, not really. but it pays better than my last job, which was as senior network admin. I found that more interesting though
>>
File: 1452749563165.png (769 KB, 1700x2003) Image search: [Google]
1452749563165.png
769 KB, 1700x2003
>>53759729
I manage the online selling multichannel stuff for my neighbor aka writing stupid little java script programms to stuff product data into ebay and amazon.

20€/hr
working as much I want, whenever I want, from home

Life's good.
>>
>>53768847
Why would your neighbor need to automate ebay?
>>
A cashier, I liked it for a while, but it's a dead end job. No advancement, should had not fooled around I'm high school and went to college. I'm probably going to kill myself by age 30.
>>
Full-dev web stack and dev Android app.
Yes, I get a lot of freedom.
>>
>>53768863
He doesn't.

But I'm not going to tell him.
>>
>>53768869

Same here. My only hope is that I'm a subway cashier so for some miracle I could maybe move on to being a subway train driver, but it's not very likely
>>
software developer for a company that services law firms

law + comsci double degree that everyone told me i was insane for getting has me on 150k in an extremely niche area

selection criteria for job was juris doctor + software eng experience, i was the only applicant

my job can't be replaced by indians nor automated.

but to be honest the only reason i did law was to get some time with biddies and not get overloaded by the autistic betas that plagued the cs school at my uni. helped, got a gf out of it
>>
>>53768869
construction work nigga, after a work day you'll be too tired to commit suicide and it pays well (at least better than cashier work)
>>
>>53760007
Because it's common fucking sense, leddit.
>>
>>53768938
He couls just jump off a building though
>>
>>53768931
>get overloaded by the autistic betas

And yet you've come here.
>>
NodeJS developer. I like it
>>
>>53768964
don't give him ideas you dickhead
>>
>>53768869
>I'm probably going to kill myself by age 30.
Do us a favour and do it here, on webcam.

Don't make it boring like another fucking overdose.
>>
Scamming poo2loo and chink startups
I love it
>>
>>53768978
Do you feel responsible for having killed the Internet?
>>
>>53769026
he said NodeJS developer, not PHP creator
>>
>What's your job?
Knowhow dude at electronics store
>Do you like it?
It's a blessing and a curse. I like fixing people's shit, have the opportunity to mess around with the latest tech and get paid for it.
On the other hand, it's tearing on my psyche due to how fucking retarded people are and how they refuse to listen and learn. Every day is a struggle to not blurt out "READ THE FUCKING MANUAL".
>>
Security guard

Fuck yes. All I do at my post is stuff my face with junk food and watch anime on my phone. It's like being a NEET but I get paid and I get a cool uniform too. Who could ask for a better job?
>>
>>53767210
I don't like the idea of giving it away after having to work for it so much. But here it goes: why did the chicken cross the road?
>>
>>53769275
Paul Blart?
>>
>>53759785
Same here. I got my dream job, but three years later all I want to do is quit
>>
File: ulqvocoq3djxt14nvnpp.jpg (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ulqvocoq3djxt14nvnpp.jpg
48 KB, 500x500
computer engineering bachelor student going back to a top 200 eng university after a two year pause due to burnout and mental illness, recovered now luckely. I have a very big hobby in digital painting, good enough to work as a illustrator if I wanted and I am currently reading about the nvidia cg shader language and its super cool stuff!
I will probably end up as a strong technical artist in the future, going to be ace to work with art/graphics now that VR is getting up to speed!
>>
>>53769001
Sure thing guy, I think gasoline and match will do the trick
>>
File: 1458922004232.jpg (663 KB, 3200x1600) Image search: [Google]
1458922004232.jpg
663 KB, 3200x1600
Half the time I write shitty front end stuff and the other half juggle shitty code from others playing analyst, paid as front end being full stack dev.
In the worst zone of the country, in the worst country in Europe, for 1000€/month.

Was gonna move Innsbruck for a better life and then rapefugees happened.

No sir, I dont like it.
>>
NEET
if I was being paid for NEETing, yes, I'd love it. but I'm poor.
>>
File: Reaper in flight.jpg (992 KB, 3911x2619) Image search: [Google]
Reaper in flight.jpg
992 KB, 3911x2619
Targeteer for drone strikes

Love it
>>
>>53772770
kys
>>
>>53772832
And a kiss for you too
>>
"Software Engineer"
I like it, I get to play with the new stuff with relative freedom.
The only annoying thing is that people tend to depend on me so I cannot browse Youtube all day unlike incompetent (or clever) fucks.
>>
neet
no, I wish I had money for anime figures
>>
File: 1454683327334.jpg (75 KB, 643x820) Image search: [Google]
1454683327334.jpg
75 KB, 643x820
>>53761496
>>
>>53759729
I've been neeting it up for the last month and a half. Enjoying it so far, I'll look for a job when I start running out of money.
>>
>>53759729
>student
>no i dont like it, but i am afraid it will be worse when i will have a job
>>
>>53759785
whats wrong with being an adult?
>>
>>53772832
>t. Muhammad Al-Abram
>>
>>53759785
Start calling yourself a software architect.
>>
>>53763283
>topkek hang in there
>>
I get paid to shill for bernie on /pol/
It's soul crushing, but I make more than enough to pay my way through university.
I also buy melatonin from ebay and resell it on the dank web. Makes ~80 buckaronis a week, only real issue is that it's hard to convert back into real money, so it generally comes out as ~40 buckaronis.
I don't even do drugs, so there's almost nothing worth buying with bitcoins.

>do you enjoy it
It feels like endlessly grinding level one rats in an mmo. Except instead of xp and levelling up, there is only dissapointment.
>>
I shill Windows 10 on /g/. I love it, helping other switch to a more secure and supported OS.
>>
>>53768191
GIS! My nigga.
>>
>>53759729
Software developer for a shipping company
Yeah, it's decent. I'm self employed with them so I make my own hours
>>
>Mechanical Engineer
>Yes
>>
>>53768806
I guess I had never thought about it prior to interning there. I also remember sitting in one some of the all company meetings and some apps were being pitched even around/over the $1 mark.
>>
>>53776379
>$1 million derp
>>
>>53759729
Code monkey.

I love it mainly because I get to spend all of my time in the office writing code, there's 24hr cafeteria, bunkbeds, showers and free gigabit Internet. I only go home to get a change of clothes which is like once in two weeks, but the longest I stayed there was like for a month, I want to try staying for half a year without going home.

Since I don't have any friends or gf, this is the best job in the world.
>>
>>53759988
Feel sorry for you, anon. Our society is messed, once a citizen has something broken in his body it just throws him away. Would be good if tech could fix our bodies instead of merely drawing pixels on our screens..
>>
>>53763711
Neet here finished high school last year, doing nothing now, just studying programming on my own at my own peace leeching off my parents.
>>
CTO and audio dev

And I really do like it, I never get bored~
>>
> Job
Student, I have my own "company" though, selling some stupid software earning me a months salary for 1/10th of the work which is pretty damn nice
> Like it?
Kinda.. not sure what I want to do when I'm done with my study...
>>
>>53763935
Re-read my post senpai. I'm applying to specific positions, not any plain dev position.

>>53767372
this is how I felt about my job. Thought it could get more interesting with higher studies, but knowledge doesn't cut it. Projects or github URL ftw

>>53765505
I applied to jobs senior year and eventually got an offer before graduating. I didn't really care what kind of dev I would be doing, as long as I got paid. What's a mystery about this? If you're unsure how into jobs and you might do a master's because "why not" you need to ask yourself what you are doing with your life

>>53768975
JUST
>>
>job
Professional script kiddie NEET

>do you like it?
Somebody please end my miserable life, I don't have the balls to do it myself
>>
>>53776585
Same boat here, except I graduated a year early and have had a job for the majority of my time out of school. Current one is pretty cool, I also get passive youtube income and sell stuff on craigslist. If I didn't have a dank job I'd go and work at a camp for summer and live in the forest.
>>
>>53759729
Systems Engineer at a large tech company.

Yes, I never have to work with anything I can't checkout the source for and I work at a scale I haven't found in the same capacity elsewhere. No two days are the same though and the pace can be a little much for me sometimes.

I'm just a GNU/Linux fanboy who went corporate.
>>
>>53768233
Just get your bachelors degree you ninny, at least that's something.
>>
>>53775673
YES!
>>
File: 20160329_153853-1.jpg (3 MB, 2793x1790) Image search: [Google]
20160329_153853-1.jpg
3 MB, 2793x1790
X-ray Manager

I enjoy my job for the most part...some of the doctors have terrible egos though (obviously).
>>
>>53764817
Ya, UNIX admin for 16 years and high school dropout. 153k. Keep believing.
>>
Production Printer Tech.

It pays the bills. I'd rather do installs and network setups.
>>
>>53772770
Nevada?
>>
File: reimu_chibi_tf.jpg (304 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
reimu_chibi_tf.jpg
304 KB, 707x1000
>>53759729
Programmer at software megacorp that likes organizing the world's information or some shit like that.

Mostly. The pay is more than I know what to do with, the people are easy to work with. It's not the most inspiring work, but that's what nights and weekends are for, I guess.
>>
Electronics technician in network equipment R&D. It's pretty fucking great.
>>
File: 1448208697366.png (91 KB, 288x292) Image search: [Google]
1448208697366.png
91 KB, 288x292
>>53759729
I'm a Pizza Delivery Driver, I get tipped by people to drive 15 minutes to their house, which is actually just a 5 minute drive, but I take my time, be on my phone for the majority of my shift. I make 30k a year for doing nothing, and I plan to keep it that way until I graduate. I fucking love my job.
>>
>Frontend dev/graphic designer
>Yes
>>
File: kids-and-technology.jpg (83 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
kids-and-technology.jpg
83 KB, 500x282
IT guy for a big inner-city middle school.

I love it. It's pretty laid back, and all the group policy/heavy networking stuff is handled by the city's school district, so I can escalate if there's some really annoying or difficult issue that I run across. The pay sucks, but the lack of stress and abundant time off/vacation days more than makes up for it. I've kind of gotten attached to the job at this point though, and I'm worried that I'll get complacent/accidentally get myself fired for being a crass /g/tard. My tongue slips way too often. Great with kids, but bad at regulating myself.

Also, no funding. Ever. I've had to jury rig so much shit to keep it working. Need a new hard disk? Nope, no budget for it. New projector lamps? No budget. Replacement power supplies? No budget. Just about the only thing they will buy me is zip ties.
Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.