[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Only in the Land of the Free
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 2016-03-30 02.13.20.png (113 KB, 1064x717) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-30 02.13.20.png
113 KB, 1064x717
Only in the Land of the Free
>>
>>53758298
>Apple
>Oct 2012

PRISM
R
I
S
M
>>
>>53758298

What the fuck is a warrant canary?

I mean, I get the terminology and what it implies, but what is it exactly?
>>
>>53759888
clueless trips. it means they've been solicited by a federal organization and can't say anything
>>
>>53759888
Basically let's say I was ordered to give a security force your information. It would be illegal for me to tell you that I gave them your info.

But if I have a small thing on your profile which says I haven't given your information away and then took that away (without drawing your attention to it) when I did give your info to a security service.

So by proxy I have told you that you are being spied on.
>>
File: kk.jpg (32 KB, 250x302) Image search: [Google]
kk.jpg
32 KB, 250x302
>>
>>53759928
>fed agency requests information
>"don't tell anyone"
>"don't remove your warrant canary"
>"fail to comply and we charge you with treason"
Warrant canary failed.
>>
>>53759888

If the canary dies, the warranty is no longer valid and you must exit it immediately before it collapses.
>>
>>53759888
what makes a man retarded? are you born with it or does something get inside your head?
>>
lol
>>
>>53760128
how can you outlaw warrant canaries? this doesn't make sense.

the notion of a warrant canary is that you can't be compelled to say something to the public, but that's never been openly tested in a court. for all we know, you *can* be compelled to keep updating your warrant canary as a means to prevent terrorists from learning that law enforcement is on to them by way of 3rd party services.

we have no idea.

so what's your screenshot saying? that australian courts have determined that they can compel someone to lie and keep updating a warrant canary?
>>
>>53760128
Australia has always been shit
>>
>>53760233
Correction australians have always been shit, that's why everything there wants to kill you.
>>
>warrant canaries

PLACEBO
L
A
C
E
B
O
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.