[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are macbooks still consider the most well-made laptops in terms
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13
File: FOR MOTHER RUSSIA.jpg (186 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
FOR MOTHER RUSSIA.jpg
186 KB, 1024x1024
Are macbooks still consider the most well-made laptops in terms of construction? This was the consensus a few years ago.
>>
my penis is confused
>>
File: jvn.jpg (192 KB, 1122x1292) Image search: [Google]
jvn.jpg
192 KB, 1122x1292
>>53757682
>>
>>53757682
Mine isn't
>>
>>53757753
THIS.
Shits disgusting as fuck.
>>
NO, the Surfacebook is much better.

Post more Russian lifter girl.
>>
Build wise. MacBooks are still the best in the market. By a long shot.
>>
>>53757796
clevo is okay tho
>>
>>53757777
How is Linux on the surfacebook?
>>
Business laptops are usually built like fucking tanks
https://youtube.com/watch?v=H5cKuO8ojAU
>>
>>53757632
>Are macbooks still consider the most well-made laptops in terms of construction? This was the consensus a few years ago.
>>53757796
>Build wise. MacBooks are still the best in the market. By a long shot.
This has never been true, and was generally an opinion held by people who didn't understand components.

Macbooks are consumer laptops - they're decent consumer laptops (if you discount price) - but all the components and the design are still only held to consumer function.
MTBF can be much lower, thermal design doesn't matter as much and designs can be simpler.
Examples:
>The poor thermal design of the Trashcan.
Resulted in almost constant throttling - Form over function and Apple didn't want to ruin the form by using a fan that was too loud.
>The poor thermal design on recent MBPs.
A single tiny heatpipe connected to the chassis acts as the main dissipater - causes rampant throttling for power users and reduces MTBF of components.
Could have been fixed with better, more powerful ventilation or a larger dissipater.
>Using aluminium as the body component.
Aluminium is cheap and it provides a fantastic hallmark of form for Macbooks, but it absorbs less force than polycarbonate, doesn't allow for a traditional chassis and restricts cooling.
Whilst the body does "act as a radiator", it doesn't do it very well due to the low heat conductivity (when compared to a copper alloy).

Now, remember, they're not badly built, they're just consumer grade and will always be built to place form over function.

The best made laptops will always be business grade laptops - they're more robust, they deal with heat better and they only use components with a significant MTBF.
See:
>>53757996
>>
>>53757632
That dude needs to work on his lats.
>>
File: bird form.jpg (109 KB, 544x620) Image search: [Google]
bird form.jpg
109 KB, 544x620
>>53758076
For a second I thought I was on fit.
>>
>>53757764
LTBM detected
>>
>>53758058
Okay, but as a consumer laptop are they the best?
>>
File: MG_4188.jpg (743 KB, 4106x3168) Image search: [Google]
MG_4188.jpg
743 KB, 4106x3168
>>53758377
Not really - they're not bad and if you want OSX they're your only option without Hackintoshing, but if you're going to be running Windows or Linux, you're better off with an equally priced laptop from ASUS or Dell.
Probably the best laptop on the consumer market by my standards is the Dell XPS 13 (plus, it looks fantastic).
>>
>>53758476
>ASUS or Dell
It's like you want to be a virgin for the rest of your life.
>>
>>53758553
If you're relying on a computer to get you laid, you will remain a virgin for the rest of your life, or you will settle for half an hour with a trap prostitute that is more clap than man.
>>
>>53758058
>business grade laptops
what would be a powerful x silent x DeltaE < 1,8 x robust "business" laptop ?
>>
>>53758576
Seriously though man, Asus and Dell don't make laptops as good as the Macbook. You're a hater.
>>
>>53758596
You're generally safe with Lenovo, HP and Dell (make sure you buy from their business lines).
Just find a model that suits you and kit it out to your needs.

>>53758616
>Seriously though man, Asus and Dell don't make laptops as good as the Macbook. You're a hater.
See
>>53758058
And try and refute anything I said.
Dell specifically makes fantastic consumer grade premium laptops these days.
>>
>>53758616
>Seriously though man, Asus and Dell don't make laptops as good as the Macbook. You're a hater.
XPS 13 rapes its apple competitor, FYI
>>
>>53758058
>>53758674
they're also twice the weight which make them unattractive unless you're literally forced to use them
>>
>>53758694
>being a manlet
>>
File: scatman.jpg (182 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
scatman.jpg
182 KB, 800x800
>>53757632
>>
File: 000217.png (26 KB, 761x469) Image search: [Google]
000217.png
26 KB, 761x469
>>53758674
>Just find a model that suits you and kit it out to your needs.
displays are shit tho
embarrassing for a business line
>>
>>53758694
Not if you don't have noodle arms.
>>
>>53758694
The XPS 13 is a full pound lighter than its Macbook competitor.
>>53758716
They offer better screens nowadays.
>>
>>53758616
>You're a hater.

WTF am I reading ?

Calling people hater makes you sound like a fanboy, a young and ghetto one to add to it. Also, since when having different opinions make you a hater ? I mean there are so many available laptop brand and so many models that offers different advantages, you can't just call someone a hater just because they disagree with you, that's poor form.

Also, he didn't said anything bad in itself about macbook, just that others brand might offer a better experience in his opinion.

Yes, I took the bait, now stop being a faggot and go shitpost where shitposters are welcome like in /mu/ or in /o/.
>>
>>53757632
delete this
>>
File: 000218.png (23 KB, 766x402) Image search: [Google]
000218.png
23 KB, 766x402
>>53758771
>They offer better screens nowadays.
not really
>>
If someone knows of a laptop that has as good of a trackpad as the Macbooks, I'll buy that right now.
>>
>>53757632
Late 2013 13" still going strong. The power cable is pretty shitty, but the laptop itself is rock solid
>>
>>53758821
not only are trackpads in general bad, but MacBook trackpads are especially bad

go try out a TrackPoint
>>
>>53757854
The silence is your answer...
>>
>>53758674
>y410p just over 2 years old
>touchpad held on by electrical tape
>plastic bits randomly breaking off
>overheats when gaming unless dvd drive bay is empty
Nah, never buying a lenovo again
>>
>>53758893
>>53758893
kek
>>
>>53758895
>gaming laptop
>>
>>53758809
>macshit is still bottom of the barrel in screens
>barely 90% sRGB

http://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebook-Displays-As-Reviewed-By-Notebookcheck.120541.0.html

No surprise.
>>
>>53759843
b-but muh retina™
>>
What's up with a lot of laptops failing to charge battery after about a year? Had 3 Dell XPS m 13 and 2 m 15 that did that. That was around 2009. Because of that never want to buy a Dell again. Now have an asus that did same thing exactly after warranty expired. So they all work if you have them plugged in but the battery shows zero and as soon as you unplug them they shut off
>>
>>53760080
Oops meant to post a new thread
>>
File: 1374746198919.jpg (90 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
1374746198919.jpg
90 KB, 600x480
>>
>>53760080
That's normal for all batteries.
>>
>>53759843
>http://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebook-Displays-As-Reviewed-By-Notebookcheck.120541.0.html
It looks cool because graphs and colors. Too bad the graphs are bullshit if you've spent any time with color theory.

So what's wrong with those screens aside from the suspiciously high gamma?
>>
Thinkpad or GTFO
>>
File: ted cruz at a recent rally.jpg (27 KB, 552x437) Image search: [Google]
ted cruz at a recent rally.jpg
27 KB, 552x437
>>53757632
The daily baits never cease to amaze.
>>
File: 1458589505072s.jpg (7 KB, 240x232) Image search: [Google]
1458589505072s.jpg
7 KB, 240x232
>>53757632
>shave eyebrows
>draw them back again

why
>>
No such thing as one laptop which is universally known for having amazing build quality.

Today's MacBook Pros are very good. I have an E130 ThinkPad, which is basically a specced up x121e from a couple years before. Its a very solid machine.

Nothing compares to Apple's tolerances though, when you've been making all your laptops solely out of aluminium since 2008 you get pretty fucking good at it. Apple may have component issues sometimes with their computers but the unibody is legendary.
>>
>>53757632
>most well-made laptops in terms of construction
>not Thinkpad
kek. Enjoy having your laptop not survive falling out of an airplane.
>>
>>53758058
You can compare them theoretically all you want, but why don't you just go to the store and compare some laptops for a while?

Macbooks are by far the most solid laptops I have ever felt, the only reason I don't own one is because of the price. I've used Asus Mac knockoffs, thinkpads, dell business(including xps), Microsoft, and HP's, and no matter what you faggots pretend is better built, it's just not.

They are all flimsy pieces of shit which bend if you hold them with one hand on the corner. Can't be opened with one finger, have flimsy screens and keyboards, etc. Seriously, just go to best buy and compare them in person, unless you're some biased anti-apple faggot, you will come to the same conclusion.

And yes I know, FUCK off shill, yada yda yada.

Just stop being a lazy faggot and use them for a while at the store then come to an objective conclusion. A Mac is a Mercedes, most other laptops are Hondas/Ford/your average car.
>>
>macbooks
>>
As a code artisan I wouldn't recommend you to buy a macbook. They have become too mainstream to be cool. Basically everyone and their mom owns a macbook.

I would recommend getting a Surface pro 4 if you really want something that is usable like a laptop, but personally I wouldn't recommend a laptop at all. Laptops are already an aged concept and format, there's not much you can innovate about it. Aside from making them thinner and thinner companies have stagnated in the laptop department. You pay a premium for worse hardware than the desktop equivalent. And you look like your dad if you use a laptop.

So, if you really need portability and a big screen you could try a Surface 4, I think they have matured enough to be usable.
Don't get a Surface Book yet, because it's a first generation product, so you join the beta testers line if you buy one. Wait until at least the 3rd generation before considering getting one.

Desktops are still the best computers you can get and use. If you need something more serious than your phone as a mobile device that you can also do some work on, I don't think you can find something better than the Surface. They're still awkward to use with their 3-piece format (stand, screen, keyboard), but they're decent enough if you're not someone who plans on using them literally on your lap.

They also give you a nerd look, which is cool now. Macbooks make you look like just another ordinary macbook user.
>>
>>53761252
I'm unique in other ways. My style is definitely not going to be defined by the laptop I carry.

But yea, having a Macbook doesn't make you cool, but not having one makes you not cool.
>>
>>53761459
Aww, you couldn't be more wrong. I had an apple laptop, a Powerbook G4, when it wasn't even cool to have one. Nobody knew who apple or steve jobs were when I had a Powerbook. That was cool. Now it's definitely not cool to own something basically your mom has too. Same for the iphone.

But then, again, as a I said, I think laptops are boring and old and if you really need to get one because you're a student, I'd rather get a Surface or a Chromebook. But go ahead, join the crowd of ordinary macbook users, if that's what you want. They're definitely not cool in my book.
>>
>>53761614
Macbook is a more well-made, better-looking product. That's what it comes down to.
>>
>>53761696
It doesn't have a touchscreen, which makes it an old type of computer. One of those hefty slabs of aluminium with hinges that you lug around just to type something on it.
>>
File: 1458646828407.jpg (108 KB, 968x351) Image search: [Google]
1458646828407.jpg
108 KB, 968x351
>>53761696
>Macbook
>well-made

Pick one.
>>
>>53757694
what the hell is going on with this room the wall on the left just stops and theres like a disappearing window or something i'm confused
>>
If you've never used a Mac before, don't switch. Just buy a Surface and enjoy it.

Switching is the fucking worst and you literally can't do anything without Googling it.
>>
>>53761950
You don't buy a macbook to run 4 hour long benchmarks.
If you use them for your daily tasks and software development you'll never reach 100% cpu and gpu usage for hours in a row.
>>
>>53761026
>Mac is a Mercedes of laptops
Yeah maybe if Mercedes was an electric car made for barbies
>>
>>53762102
1300 for daily tasks
>>
>>53762011
mirrors are a thing
>>
>>53761033
>dubs
>>
>>53758710
Save us based scatmong!
>>
>>53757632
>Laptops without a fan

It'll be fine.
>>
>>53760080
>What's up with a lot of laptops failing to charge battery after about a year?
Deep cycling kills batteries.
The problem with modern laptops is that they're all non-servicable.
>>
>>53761252
>As a code artisan
Please let this be bait.
>>
>>53757632
they have the "same" hardware. you decide
>>
>>53761026
>you can use facts all you want, but why don't you go out and use feelings
I love macfags.
>>
>>53758058
>thermals and cracking make a business laptop well-made

2/10 made me reply
>>
>>53760080
Never had this happen to a battery. I'm still on an old hp with a turionx2, battery has 67% capacity remaining and still charges up fine
>>
>>53758895
The fuck do you do with your laptop? Throw it around like a frisbee? Do you even maintain your hardware? I have a Y470P from like at least 3 years ago and have cleaned the dust out/applied new thermal paste only once and it runs just fine and isn't falling apart by any means. Sure I did basic upgrades like adding more RAM, and an mSATA SSD and a bigger, faster HDD, but still, are you retarded?
>>
>>53760596
Why use Linux
>>
>>53757996
if it cracked during that drop, would he have to go commit sodoku?
>>
>>53758686
Sure, if you count that its more expensive, bulkier, worse in build quality and has an awful trackpad and keyboard
>>
>>53761026
Honda is ultimately more reliable than Mercedes though.
>>
>>53757632
No. A few years ago it was only the consensus between consumerist whores who buy them for the Apple logo. This still applies.
>>
No.
They are still glued up together with adhesive, in addition to being overheating throttling pieces of shit.
>>
File: fuck off shill.png (137 KB, 640x874) Image search: [Google]
fuck off shill.png
137 KB, 640x874
>>53760080
>Because of that never want to buy a Dell again. Now have an asus that did same thing exactly after warranty expired.
>apple has infinite lifetime batteries
lrn2physics fgt

>>53765897
>more expensive
false
>bulkier
false
>worse in build quality
extra false
>has an awful trackpad™
touchpad*, shill

>inb4 i3 vs i5 hurr durr
>>
>>53766588
More than makes up for being an i3 by being a newer gen and having faster ram.

No way the i5 can compete in except in extreme cpu heavy tasks you shouldn't be doing on a laptop
>>
>>53757632
no
no it wasnt
>>
>>53757632
What about fujitsu?
>>
>>53757764
I was thinking the opposite buddy
>>
>>53766771
>More than makes up for being an i3 by being a newer gen and having faster ram.
what I said tho
>>
>>53766588
>>worse in build quality
>extra false
xps's fall apart when you look at them too long nigguh
>>
>>53764902
Enjoy your rickety piece of shit which is supposedly made of a better material but bends from simply holding it out in one hand.
>>
>>53767097
what bends doesn't break
resilience 101
lrn2physics chapter 2
>>
>>53760080
Dell has charging port issues. Had like two machines where it turned out that it was the port, rather than the charger or battery failing.

Used to buy Dell all the time though.

>>53758895
Had that problem with Acer. It took the same level of hits that my other laptops did, and one of the machines is held together with duct-tape and the other is dead as a rock (oh, and the clickpad broke and the charging port fried, that was some shit, but it doesn't even boot with a charged battery in it now).

the duct-tape'd machine is actually a lot better off than it looks though, it's just that the hinges aren't there anymore and wifi is hideously unreliable on it now
the dead-as-a-rock machine would have been my favorite laptop if it still worked, was pretty small and portable, had an i5, 6GB RAM, was just a good machine for doing shit on the go

only other laptop I've had take significant damage on me was a Dell machine I used pretty much nonstop from 2001 to 2008/9 (and most of the abuse was done really early in its life, when it'd get lugged to NYC every day), and I'd have kept using it if a PIII wasn't too slow to really run anything past XP
needed a screen and keyboard replacement, and that was about it
maybe a new hard drive, the 10GB it came with was never big enough, ever
I miss that machine, 512MB RAM was like a godsend in 2001, and I never upgraded it.

>>53761950
cooling on pretty much all of Apple's laptops is awful, it'd do better if it could dissipate the heat at all

like, I end up running my MBA at like 1.6-1.8 instead of letting it hit 2.4GHz if I'm doing something remotely intensive for a long time so it doesn't throttle down
if it stays at 2.x for more than an hour, it's not going back up unless you stop using the machine completely for a bit
>>
>>53763180

Do you even know what you're criticizing?
>>
>>53757632
>Believing that brands dictate built quality.

Laptops are built by ODMs(Compal, Foxconn,etc), not your OEM. Apple, Dell outsource their shit to the same assemblers. The only different between the laptops would be the blueprint design/specs, and assembler of the laptop.

Brand loyalty is retarded because quality laptops are not tied to brands, but design/specs/ODM. Apple sheep nonsense if you believe this.
>>
>>53757632
Dell XPS has equivalent build quality.

And much more specs at the same price.
>>
No lol
>>
>>53761252
Mfw my biggest problem with my Surface Pro 3 is that it's uncomfortable to use as a laptop. Awesome computer, I use mine with the surface dock, I don't need to use my Desktop and have everything on it at all times, but anytime I go to use it as a laptop it's so awkward to use
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.