[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What RSS readers do you guys use? I use RSSOwl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: 2000px-Rss-feed.svg.png (115 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Rss-feed.svg.png
115 KB, 2000x2000
What RSS readers do you guys use? I use RSSOwl
>>
Snownews from the terminal :'^)
>>
Newsbeauter
>>
bamboo
its not really that "generic" but its easy & convenient to use, at least for my feeds (text news and youtube uploads)
>>
>>53757198
Anotherfaggot here who's not OP and uses RSSOwl.
I moved from using addon-based readers because they always fucked RAM usage and broke the browsers.
Shit was bonkers, albeit they looked good.

If you have problems with your browser,
switch to program based RSS. Shit's stable as fuck, uses minimal resources, and you also get some pretty advanced filtering options to set for yourself including customizing which feeds do or do not get sound notification and customizing the sound.
>>
>>53756640
>RSS in $CURRENT YEAR
wasn't it considered dead a few years back?
>>
feedly. It's ok
>>
>>53757261
it's still available on tons of websites so it's not dead yet. Atom is the only real alternative and most reads can read both.
>>
>>53757261
RSSOwl can read RSS, RDF, and Atom.
Unless you can name me something that renders the aforementioned obsolete, i don't know your point due to a lack of further elaboration on your part.
>>
>>53756640
Distill web monitor
>>
Inoreader
>>
>>53756640
feedbin
I´ve probabbly tied almost all of the rss readers including self hosted ones after the death of google reader.

What made me settle on feedbin was the ability to setup filters for feeds (for example, mark every post containing phrase x as read)

inoreader does this as well but it only let´s you use one filter on a free account and doesn´t even give you unlimited filters on the cheapest subscription.

The only real downside is the android app situation. Currently still using Press which is more and more outdated with no update on the horizon and palabre which is slow and bloated
>>
>>53758713
RSSOwl and QuiteRSS do that too...
>>
>>53758776
I need to have a service that syncs me read / starred articles across different devices though.

I read my feeds in the morning on a tablet, on the go on my phone and in the evening on my pc.

Using a local software on my pc just doesn´t work for me
>>
>>53758846
I wouldn't use RSS Feeds on flash memory or SSDs, due to the bricking potential of the massive cycle rate of tiny data,
unless you have severely limited the archiving capability of the Feeds that requires reads to correlate that new content doesn't conflict with past content.
But your call.
>>
>>53757378
>feedly
Enjoy your <30 days feed
>>
File: 1409860661253.png (102 KB, 403x293) Image search: [Google]
1409860661253.png
102 KB, 403x293
>>53758904
>>
>>53759042
Let me put it this way anon: There are many people who have lost their SSDs prematurely to RSS Feed Readers and webscrappers with archiving, because of the way both the readers work and the SSDs store data.
I constantly see posts springing up on forums due to this.
Also they are massive battery drains on portable devices.
>>
>>53758904
The fuck, do RSS readers generate that much data? I don't have nearly enough in my feeds hit write limits
>>
>>53759105
>Also they are massive battery drains on portable devices.
Only if you have it constantly refreshing instead of just when you open it
>>
>>53756640
Akregator
>>
Liferea

kinda sucks, but I want a native Linux application, not some web app shit
>>
>>53756640
Opera 12.16 built-in feed
I should make a switch but I probably won't
>>
>>53756640
rssowl usually, it broke once quite bad for me though
then I had used tiny tiny rss, it didn't have news organized quite how I liked it, but the web sync was nice
newsbeauter was too limited in filtering for me without significant work.

The reason being was that I wanted notifications
for tiny tiny rss it outputted a rss feed that ifttt would read and pipe to pushbullet
on rssowl which I'm back to using, I just have it set to use a batch file as a web browser and just open it in chromium and use curl to send a pushbullet notification of it
simple and works but would like something much more powerful for filtering, I aggregate pretty much all of my web browsing this way, even deals and such for most of my shopping by just scalping so many sites for info.
>>
>>53759040
what's your suggestion? Seems like everybody is saying "I use X but something about it sucks"
>>
tt-rss
>>
Feeddemon, for what it does, it works
>>
>>53756640
I used to use yahoo pipes, it would consolidate feeds into one, and had regex for text manipulation, was hosted by yahoo and sent to an rss widget on my phone. It was perfect. But they got rid of it. Fuck Yahoo.
>>
>>53756640
rssowl too here, happy to see I'm not alone.

what are some great rss feed /g/ related you have
>>
how's rssowl compared to liferea?
is it slow?
thinking to change because it's cross platform
(holy shiti have around 4000 unread articles....)
>>
>>53756640
whats rss? i keep hearing about it but i still dont know what it is.
>>
>>53763735
It's web feed format. Websites like news sites or blogs usually have an RSS feed that you put into an RSS reader. Then it gives you recent updates with a subject, the beginning paragraph of the content, and maybe a picture. Do that with a bunch of sites and then you have 1 place to check for updates instead of a dozen.
>>
>>53756640
>http://asheville.craigslist.org/sys/5514703261.htm
I am using windows live mail. it has rss feature
>>
>>53756640
reeder.app
>>
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/rss-ticker/

^this
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.