[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Java programmer or front-end web developer: Which do you think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: snowbritbull.jpg (19 KB, 546x547) Image search: [Google]
snowbritbull.jpg
19 KB, 546x547
Java programmer or front-end web developer: Which do you think will have the better career options in the future, and why?

I've been learning both, but now I need to choose a path to take.
>>
Do you want to have to keep learning the new trendy shit every 2 years? If so, webdev is for you.
>>
>>53754785

Java programmer: if you can do two things, choose the harder one for more job security.

*Nothing in this advice constitutes an imblication that java isn't a meme language
>>
>>53754900
Pretty much this. I kinda like the idea of making web pages and stuff, but fuck, having a new standard every fucking year is so fucking annoying. To make things worst, the new standard is pretty much equal/shittier than the previous standard. Such a mess.
>>
>>53755385
I'm not op btw.
>>
>>53755385
>new standard is pretty much equal/shittier than the previous standard.
Then why is everyone adopting it?
>>
Thank you all for your replies.

>>53754900
>>53755385
Is front-end really that bad? I can see how that seems to be the case with server side languages, but nothing seems to be threatening JavaScript on the front-end, and it has the bonus of node.js if you want to dip your feet into full stack.

Please be gentle with me, I'm still a noob at all this; my understanding is very, very limited.

>>53755047
Makes perfect sense. Why do you call it a meme language though?
>>
>>53755385
Bullshit.

Unless you're developing for your grandpa's small business website you're stuck with companies requiring your product to look exactly the same across every single browser, including IE10 or even 9.

Good luck using flex box or any other trendy shit.

It's all Bootstrap + vanilla JS mixed with flavor of the month JS framework.
>>
>>53755440
>Why do you call it a meme language though?

I don't. Large numbers of /g/ do though and I was inb4ing them
>>
>>53755462
That's what I figured, but I don't really have the qualification to comment.

>>53755476
Ah I see, my mistake.
>>
>>53755462

and where was bootstrap 5 years ago? yeah
>>
>>53755439
I honestly do not know.
Take Ruby and Rails for example. Why does it even exist? It's not more performant than any PHP framework (or any other framework in any language whatsoever), but it was still very, very popular not so long ago. Now the trend is shifting towards node.js and their frameworks which, I don't have any opinion towards it since I haven't used it at all, but it seems like it's not exactly much different than anything else, really.
Same thing with the Javascript Front-end frameworks. There is someone releasing a new one every single day. I don't know why mang. But really, take anything I (or anyone else) say with a grain of salt. Try it, you'll probably see for yourself if you like it or not.
>>
>>53755607
Takes literally 2 hours to learn, remember to put rows in columns and that's it.
>>
>>53755609
the reason people like Rails is because Ruby is a nice language and PHP has been broken since forever and should arguably never have been a thing to begin with
>>
>>53755963
>>53755609
And Node,js solves the I/O blocking problem. This means that you could potentially run 1000000 high level network connections concurrently without having anything die on you. In other words, fewer race conditions.
>>
>>53754900
What the fuck do you think programming languages do? Stay exactly the same forever?
>>
>>53756163
Common lisp has stayed the way it is since it was made.
If your language makers need to make new standard every few year they should be stopped because if they couldn't get it right the first time they will only make it worse with new iteration.
>>
>>53756264
If your hardware makes need to make new stadnards every few years they should be stopped and we should all use fucking ISA busses and serial ports.
>>
>>53756264
Kek, look at Swift
>>
>>53756264
You're right. Technology should never change. All this new shit is just making my head spin.
>>
>>53754785
If you feel the need to take a more specific path, then choose the one you like (or hate less). That is almost always the right choice.
>>
You're like 99% more likely to get a serious grown up job with Java than with web dev.
>>
>>53757904
so just short of twice as likely?
>>
>>53757952
the fuck did you post this for?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.