[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
flt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: 1444663748351.jpg (261 KB, 1000x892) Image search: [Google]
1444663748351.jpg
261 KB, 1000x892
Previously on: >>53745674

Welcome to /fg/lt/, or as I've recently taken to calling it, /fg+lt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
>>
I have done your mother
-RMS
>>
Slackware is shit edition :^)
>>
>>53754283
:¬)
>>
>>53754283
you know what, fuck you. i'm gonna go make my own friendly slackware thread
with blackjack
and hookers
>>
Sleep well baby stall
>>
>>53754283
Slackware? More like pick up the Slack and develop your distro ware
>>
I use Fedora 23, and I have go. I "installed" it manually, without dnf/yum, because I didn't want to have the outdated version.

Now I can't find the place I defined my gopath in. It's neither in /etc/environment nor in ~./bash_profile.

Where else could I have it defined?
>>
>>53754307
more like Slack off for 3 years.
i joke ,14.2 by 2020
>>
>>53754321
>I "installed" it manually, without dnf/yum, because I didn't want to have the outdated version.
I...uhm...what...?
>>
>>53754339
I downloaded the archive, unpacked it, and added the unpacked archives binary folder to $PATH. But I have no idea where I defined my $GOPATH
>>
xubuntu or mint?
>>
>>53754378
gentoo
>>
>>53754390
nah the doctor said if i use gentoo again he'll cut my legs off

i need to stop visiting dr. pepper but he's all obamacare'll provide.
>>
>>53754375
$GOPATH/bin
?
>>
>>53754378
neither
debian is the only good distro
unless you're autistic, then you can add arch to the list of good distros
>>
>>53754412
Whops I meant to say $HOME/.bashrc
>>
>>53754424
I like both but apt is kind of infuriating.
>>
>>53754460
>apt is kind of infuriating
please elaborate
t. new GNU+Linux user
>>
>>53754484
>please elaborate
It's shit
t. experienced GNU+Linux user
>>
>>53754503
>It's shit
please elaborate further
t. confused new GNU+Linux user
>>
>>53754519
>please elaborate further
It's really...shit
t. RMS
>>
>>53754519

>apt-get autoremove
>end up without my desktop
t. not that guy, but someone else who doesn't know if the package manager is to blame or the people packaging the software/dependencies
>>
>>53754558
>apt-get autoremove
>end up without my desktop
I did this once, took it as an opportunity to just move to Arch
>>
>>53754519
>please elaborate further
can i get my dick sucked?
t. virgin
>>
>>53754484
dpkg and it's frontends are the most garbage package managers of the linux world.

Sad, because they're the most popular ones.

They're okay for as long as you don't touch them and only install software.

But as soon as you want to remove something you experience apt's dependency resolver in it's full glory.

My personal anecdote goes like this.
I wanted to try out gnome on debian, so I installed it, played with it a little and made an attempt to remove it
>You want to remove gnome-desktop?
>Jolly good m80 it's seems like you don't need libreoffice, firefox and xorg either
>>
Debian or Fedora?
>>
>>53754589
so does this mean that debian is trash and I should move on to arch?
>>
>>53754614
Yes
>>
>>53754614
skywave
>>
>>53754614
Fedora is comfy af. Coming from someone that used .deb based distros for a long time.
>>
Guys, I'm conflicted. After having used xubuntu for a while at home and CentOS at work I am beginning to realize what I really want from a distro for personal use. But it leads me to no conclusion.

1) What I disliked most about the *buntus was their default GUI heaviness. There should be a straightforward and easy way to do all configurations necessary in readable and well-placed (!) plaintext files.

2) CentOS taught me that I am perfectly fine with, to an extent prefer, the vast majority of the system being 2 years behind the current bleeding edge, however, the inability to update individual programs (including dependencies, of course) to their very most recent version has been quite impeding.

Is there a way to get these things without giving up on package managers? Should I just go full DIY?
>>
>>53754625

>moving to a new distribution based on someone else's anecdotal, subjective evidence/opinions

No, you choose what suits you.
t. someone using arch
>>
>>53754614
I'm with >>53754662 on this but it really depends on your use case.
>>
>>53754589
You really tempt me to try this at work
>>
>>53754699
>No, you choose what suits you.
You don't choose the distro. The distro chooses you.
t. wise old man
>>
>>53754625
no, not really.

debian is not "trash" per se.
It's trash for desktop use.

The main advantage of debian is that it's available on most architectures, even the obscure ones.

Which you won't utilize since i'm 100% sure you have an x86 machine.

If you want Debian for desktop, use *buntu.
It has better out-of-the-box desktop-use oriented security than Debian (which has pretty much none, debian devs expect the user to know his shit and secure the machine for himself)
It has more packages thanks to the 3rd party repo system (PPA)
It comes with non-free binary blob firmware, unlike debian, so you can expect your HW to work.

Arch is not a solution to debian being unfit.

Good alternative to *buntu is Fedora and openSUSE
>>
>>53754753
Did you follow the conversation?
>>
>>53754694
>1) What I disliked most about the *buntus was their default GUI heaviness. There should be a straightforward and easy way to do all configurations necessary in readable and well-placed (!) plaintext files.
Well, it's not like GUI tools somehow make your configuration files binary and only editable with said GUI tools. Just don't use them or remove them.

>2) CentOS taught me that I am perfectly fine with, to an extent prefer, the vast majority of the system being 2 years behind the current bleeding edge, however, the inability to update individual programs (including dependencies, of course) to their very most recent version has been quite impeding.
On rpm/yum/dnf distros it boils down to having the .rpm file you want to update.

If it's only a few applications look up into rpmbuild.
Only Fedora-based distros (rhel, centos) made rebuilding packages so easy.
If it's more than few, you can always set your own repository for tighter control of updates.

But rhel/centos is not really fit for home use. It's repositories are tiny even with the addition of EPEL.
>>
>>53754753
>I can't configure Debian, so I decided it's bad anyway
t. the post
>>
File: liberator-face.jpg (19 KB, 595x604) Image search: [Google]
liberator-face.jpg
19 KB, 595x604
>>53754851
>I shall waste time configuring distro unfit for desktop use to fullfill the role of a desktop distro because the gay pink swirl logo enlarges my imaginary penis by a lot

And you can't configure APT to not be shit.
So yeah, you can keep your hands off your keyboard if you don't have anything better to say.
>>
Is GTK+ the most GNU approved GUI framework? If not, which one is?
>>
So I've been using Fedora for a while on my Samsung (series 8) laptop and I'm trying to make the full switch from dualboot Windows 10/Fedora to Fedora + VM(Windows10). My main concern right now is power consumption is far worse on linux. It's got switchable AMD graphics, but I never installed a driver so I am certain that it is either running the dedicated or the integrated 100% of the time. I'm using Xfce if that matters.

So far I've installed TLP which the internet tells me ought to improve battery life out of the box, and I think it has a bit. At the very least I can now see my current consumption which is helpful for monitoring further improvements. I've been reading more on how to optimize power consumption but things like the archlinux wiki just seem to offer a dozen different options without offering any evidence as to what the best configuration might be.

I've been thinking of also installing Laptop Mode Tools, and was wondering if it works together with TLP well or if I just ought to have one or the other?

I've also been looking for the proprietary driver for my graphics card, and was wondering how well linux deals with switchable graphics? I am also considering installing the catalyst software suite and just turning off the dedicated card, but was wondering if that will still give me decent video playback? I don't play any games.

Also I've read that PowerTop is a useful tool for managing power consumption (although it seems geared towards servers), and was wondering if that was worth a try as well with or without TLP/Laptop Mode Tools.

Any advice on any of these would be helpful.
>>
>>53754923

GTK or as I like to call it GNU's Not Unix Image Manipulation Program Tool Kit.
>>
>>53754923
Iirc GTK is developed by Gnome project which is a part of GNU project...so the answer is...yes...?
>>
>>53754923
GTK stands for GIMP ToolKit.

GIMP stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program

It's licence is LGPL.

Unlike Qt which has shady double-licensing for both FOSS software and closed commercial software
>>
>>53754841
>Well, it's not like GUI tools somehow make your configuration files binary and only editable with said GUI tools. Just don't use them or remove them.
Of course, however, sometimes GUI tools seem the only reasonable option. Maybe I have never taken quite enough time to get the hang of them, but window managers have in my experience fickle to configure "just right". I mean I don't expect them to be a GUI dired, but still.

>If it's only a few applications look up into rpmbuild.
I will, thank you!

And I agree CentOS is not a good idea for home computers. It's not meant to be.
>>
>>53754949
>It's got switchable AMD graphics
You're fucked.

Neither AMD nor Nvidia made switchable graphics working on a satisfactory level on Linux.
And I believe the battery use is the least of their concerns.

>and was wondering if it works together with TLP well or if I just ought to have one or the other?
It doesn't.

>Also I've read that PowerTop is a useful tool for managing power consumption (although it seems geared towards servers), and was wondering if that was worth a try as well with or without TLP/Laptop Mode Tools.
Powertop is a monitor and can theoretically be used to fix some of the issues. But it collides with TLP.
>>
>>53754378
it doesnt fucking matter. they are both virtually the same thing
>>
Could someone explain me what a binary based distribution is?
And whats the opposite of it?
>>
>>53755008
That's only because Openbox uses massive XML files that are a pain to edit. Sane window managers are easy to configure.

I do use lxappearance though. It's just so easy.
>>
>>53755033
Binary based just installs. Source based would require you to compile the binaries from source to then install.

At least I assume so.
>>
>>53755033
A distribution that releases it's packages in binary form. The opposite would be a source based distro, that releases it's packages in source code form.
>>
>>53755033
>Could someone explain me what a binary based distribution is?
Distributions where software that exists in distro's repositories are available in already compiled binary form (as packages).

The opposite is source based distributions where you download packages of source code that are ready for compilation by the user (gentoo is a good example of source based distribution)
>>
>>53755071
>>53755068
>>53755052
Thanks!
>>
I just downloaded an ubuntu MATE iso and burned it to a dvd. Then I restarted and booted to dvd. The only thing that happened was a flashing underscore on screen. How to install mate?
>>
>>53755023
>You're fucked
I appreciate the honesty. I've read that one solution is just to install catalyst and turn off the dedicated card entirely. Would that at the very least allow me to manually turn on and off the dedicated card?

Also, you're telling me that TLP, Laptop Mode Tools, and PowerTop are all incompatible with each other, correct? Is there any way to get an idea of which one might be best?
>>
>>53755107
Use USB?
>>
why would anyone want to use a source based distro? wouldnt that just take longer and use up more resources to install the same package as a binary based one?
>>
>>53755112
>'ve read that one solution is just to install catalyst and turn off the dedicated card entirely. Would that at the very least allow me to manually turn on and off the dedicated card?
Well you can always try. You said you have a dualboot system, try to install catalyst, check the power consumption in all scenarios.
Even if something goes wrong, you still have Windows running so it won't render your machine unusable.

>Also, you're telling me that TLP, Laptop Mode Tools, and PowerTop are all incompatible with each other, correct? Is there any way to get an idea of which one might be best?
My experience says TLP. With some tweaks I managed to squeeze out additional ~20 minutes when compared to Windows with similar workload
>>
>>53755107
Boot it.
>>
>>53755023
>>53755112
Powertop isn't incompatible with TLP but is largely unnecessary. According to the TLP FAQ at least.
>>
>>53755156
Preferences
>>
>>53755185
how?
>>53755126
I'm going to move my backups from usb to another dvd i guess so i can use it
>>
>>53755156
It tailors the program to your computer
>>
>>53755156
Autists. There's no reason other than autism in a home environment to run such a distro. Any time spent compiling performance tweaks outweighs their benefits on a slow computer, and a fast computer doesn't really benefit from the tweaks.
>>
>>53755156

You can disable/enable some features at compile time. People do this >>53755231.
>>
>>53755174
Would you mind sharing your config?
>>53755194
See I want to think that TLP works well but the wiki basically just says
>install it and trust us that it works perfectly
>>
>>53755258

You're an idiot. There's more to it than just those meagre performance gains. See this >>53755267.
>>
>>53755286
You can do that on binary based distros by compiling from source anyway.
>>
Why does openbox not autostart after login when I happen to change my .bashrc to start zsh?
>>
>>53755301

It's requires more effort most of the time. I know Arch has the abs, but I don't know if Debian has a similar build system.
>>
>>53755315

>starting zsh from your .bashrc

Nigga what?
>>
>>53755319
ABS is a pain compared to Portage.
>>
>>53755301
It's way easier on Gentoo
>>
>>53755315
>.bashrc to start zsh
dont do that !
use usermod's --shell option
>>
>>53755315
Fucking kek. Run,
chsh -s /location/of/shell

Doesn't work til you log back in.
>>
>>53755390
Why not just use the tool intended for this, `chsh`.
>>
>>53755422
i guess there's that too.
>>
>>53755416
Ok, I did that. I get the same result. Zsh is started automatically but startx is not.
>>
bash vs sh for scripting?

bash vs tcsh for interactive?
>>
>>53755571
Because bash_profile/bashrc are no longer used. zsh uses .zprofile and .zshrc instead.
>>
Does anybody know how can I use a .pcf font in my console?
>>
>>53755571
Because zsh doesn't actually use .bashrc, I think.
Bashrc is for bash, surprisingly. You can still probably source it or make a link, though, unless zsh can't manage to parse it.
>>
>>53755571
If you're on arch please do yourself a favour and pacman -S zsh-completions grml-zsh-config
As well.
>>
>>53755573
>bash vs sh for scripting?
Aren't they the same nowadays? Even on Gentoo /bin/sh is now a symbolic link to bash.
Not sure about slackware or whatever, but I assume everybody else does it too, most likely. Bash is fully backwards-compatible with sh, after all.
>>
My computer won't even recognize a DVD to install linux, I don't see why you would want to make computers any more complicated than they already are.
>>
>>53755573
>scripting
bash
>interactive
zsh
>>
>>53755654

No, they're not really. Even if it's a symlink, using sh (in your shebang) will limit your features[1].

[1] http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide/Practices#Choose_Your_Shell
>>
>>53755573
Bash if the script is only going to be run on systems with Bash installed.
Whatever you prefer.
>>
>>53755755
What modern system even has sh that doesn't also have bash.

Except maybe android.
>>
>>53755807
BSD
>>
just installed arch and ranger and am wondereing how to use my external hard drive.. when I connect it nothing happens..
>>
>>53755819
What system that matters doesn't also have bash?

But seriously who writes scripts with bsd compatibility in mind? If another operating system wants compatibility they can adapt it.
>>
>>53755836
lsblk
>>
>>53755807
Embedded devices?
>>
>>53755836
It doesn't get mounted automatically. Mount it yourself (mount /dev/sdX# /dir), put an entry in /etc/fstab, or use some package that mounts it for you.
>>
>>53755807
>>53755845
Notably BSD as well as some minimal penguin distributions.

>But seriously who writes scripts with bsd compatibility in mind?
Someone who envisions the script being run on BSD, I'd imagine. Portability is important sometimes.
>>
>>53755899
>Someone who envisions the script being run on BSD, I'd imagine. Portability is important sometimes.
Yeah but this isn't close to a majority, yet the majority of scripts I've seen use sh over bash.
>>
>>53755819
>>53755845
>>53755899
Why doesn't BSD use bash? Isn't it an improvement over sh in every possible way?
>>
>>53755947
Probably has the GPL license or something which they hate.
>>
>>53755914
I can't say I share that experience, but for those that do use sh over bash without there being a need to do so, my guess it's so that they're not used to relying on Bashisms in case they find themselves writing a script that has to be portable.
>>
>>53755961
Oh yeah, it's a GNU project, apparently. Well, that explains it.
Didn't know GNU made it, honestly.
>>
>>53755985
>but for those that do use sh over bash without there being a need to do so, my guess it's so that they're not used to relying on Bashisms
Yeah that's a good reason then.
>>
>>53755947
Don't the BSDs use ksh or whatever?
>>
Hey guys, I installed Manjaro last night. I've been trying to do a system update and I keep getting this error:

(575/575) checking keys in keyring                   [############################] 100%
downloading required keys...
error: key "8DB9F8C18DF53602" could not be looked up remotely
error: required key missing from keyring
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

How can I solve it?
>>
>>53755996
The only reason CLANG exists is because of their hate boner for GNU.
>>
>>53756031
Nevermind, fixed it with the info here
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=32086.0
>>
>>53756031
Yeah this shit is new. Type the following,
gpg --list-keys

Then add,
keyring /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/pubring.gpg

To the bottom of ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf
Try again and report back.
>>
>>53756002
Looked it up for myself so I'll post it lest what I wrote above sticks on someone: FreeBSD (haven't checked for others) uses tcsh as the default shell.
>>
>>53755705
Tell your computer to get gud.
>>
Guys, I'm trying to configure my trackpoint on Manjaro. I installed a GUI program called gpointing-device-setting.

However the application itsellf only worked once and it didn't seem to save any changes, even after a reboot

Most of the time it just gives me this error:

An X error occurred. The error was BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter).
An X error occurred. The error was BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter).
Segmentation fault

What should I do?
>>
>>53756196
>An X error occurred. The error was BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter).
Bruh.
>>
>>53756207
what?
>>
Anyone have that bash copy paste with all the nice resources for learning bash scripting and such?
>>
File: jp-8.jpg (145 KB, 600x715) Image search: [Google]
jp-8.jpg
145 KB, 600x715
>>53756234
baaaaaaaw why they don spoonfeed me
>>
>>53756259
Here you go:

> Shell pasta:

The based GNU Bourne Again SHell:
https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/

The community driven BASH wiki:
http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/

The Grymoire - home for UNIX wizards:
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/index.html

Greg's (also known as GreyCat's) wiki:
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashPitfalls

SED and AWK; your new best friends:
http://www.pement.org/sed/sed1line.txt
http://www.pement.org/awk/awk1line.txt

Google's Shell Style Guide:
https://google.github.io/styleguide/shell.xml

The Linux Command Line - A Book By William Shotts:
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Interesting, useful and dangerous one-liners:
http://www.commandlinefu.com/

Great online (and offline) linting tool:
http://www.shellcheck.net/

Know what you are doing:
http://explainshell.com/
>>
>>53756280
This is a friendly thread. Newfriends are welcome.
>>
>>53756283
Thank you.
>>
>>53755654
Debian has sh linked to dash
>>
How do I use kdialog on other DE's? I'm using Arch/Awesome but want to use KDialog instead of GTK File Picker. I have the KDE packages installed installed obviously.
>>
Lifetime windowsfag here, just installed Ubuntu. Now what?
>>
>>53756546
You are ready for Gentoo
>>
>>53756546
Use it everyday.
>>
>>53756546
Just...use your computer like a normal person?
>>
>>53756529
You fucking can't.
Your fucking desktop environment doesn't pick the filechooser.
It's the fucking application you use.

If you use firefox which is by default on most distros compiled for GTK+3, it will use GTK+3 file picker. If you compile it for GTK+2, it will use gtk+2 filepicker.

If you use Firefox with opensuse's kde patches, it will use kdialog.

Your other option is to use a browser compiled for Qt.

Christ.
>>
>>53756546
Kill yourself of course, you've reached the end of the line :)
>>
>>53756546
What everyone should do:

for i in $(ls /usr/bin); do man $i; done
>>
>>53756599
No, everyone should start with
man man
and after that execute your command.
>>
>>53756599
Haha is this going to crash my computer
>>
>>53756579
>Your fucking desktop environment doesn't pick the filechooser.
I used Chrome on KDE and it uses Kdialog by default. Opening Chrome on any other WM/DE uses GTK. I didn't compile or patch anything..
>>
>>53756627
take a guess
>>
>>53755866
what package should I get that does that?
>>
>>53756657
>using Chrome
maight aswell use Windows
>>
>>53756657
If you did a simple google search you dense retard you'd be aware that chrome/chromium doesn't use GTK nor Qt, nor wxWidgets for it's graphical toolkit.

It uses Google's own graphical toolkit.
>>
>>53756728
Holy shit why are you so angry? I'm was just asking how to change the file picker since the default is objectively garbage, no need to sperg out.
>>
File: bender.gif (2 KB, 64x64) Image search: [Google]
bender.gif
2 KB, 64x64
>>53754301
>>
>>53754378

Gentoo, ni/g/.
>>
>>53756728
Go get yourself a cup of tea or coffee or whatever you prefer, Anon.
>>
File: falseflag.png (1 MB, 855x1281) Image search: [Google]
falseflag.png
1 MB, 855x1281
Reminder that systemd is a fiasco.

Is developed by a elite and only the elite has the time and the funds to check the source code (by a corporation that makes business with the government). Many programs (therefore, Linux distributions) adopted systemd as a way to use other programs that systemd devoured. Making a cascade of dependence from which there is no escape.

Microsoft now could make possible a takeover on Linux thanks to systemD homogenizing Linux and the constant use of BSD license that allows privative software being built atop which strangles the open source community competition against takeovers from corporations ("embrace, extend, extinguish" all over).

Also is a security liability. Their proponents never speak about leaving free to attack the systemd-init that runs every daemon, and the shit is even connected to the network.

As init is the second most powerful program in linux, just below the kernel. The kernel code has so many eyes on it, but not that many on systemd. We bash about openssl/gnutls holes all the day, but none of the holes could be as nearly detrimental as a hole in pid 1, either accidental or intentional. Systemd serves as inetd and listens on network sockets.

The new systemd specific user switching is more insecure because PID1 constantly runs root programs with a massive attack surface. While only systemd-init is PID 1 and the rest of systemd does not run at PID1, everything uses systemd-init functions.

Add that it has su-like functionality in direct contact with programs that are network-facing and you have a security hole.

>pic related
>>
>>53756901
>Reminder that systemd is a fiasco.
It's popularity suggests otherwise tbqhwy
>>
>>53756627
It will open man files for every program in /usr/bin.
Man files are help files.
/usr/bin are where the binaries of your programs are (basically .exe, but on Linux they never have an exe extension).
Basically opens a short help page for every single program you have there.
>>
>>53756924
>It's popularity
>>53756901
>Many programs (therefore, Linux distributions) adopted systemd as a way to use other programs that systemd devoured. Making a cascade of dependence from which there is no escape.

Stop using the fucking pic you people made to false flag.
>>
File: 1449816337373.jpg (28 KB, 560x373) Image search: [Google]
1449816337373.jpg
28 KB, 560x373
>>53756901
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>finally ditched winblows for ubuntu
>spent a few days getting used to it and setting it all up
>about to get rid of DE

wish me luck guis
>>
>>53757178
Good luck anon, remember to check the shell pasta and the wiki.
>>
>>53757178
You're the anon who migrated his server from wendys to loonatix and had issues with raid?
>>
>>53757205
I've been googling shit non-stop but getting better

>>53757307
Yeah that was the least of my worries
>mfw I forgot to turn off deduplication for one of my drives
>almost whiped the drive to format to ext4 when I noticed most folders were empty
>had to install a server 2012 VM and disable dedup
>it's been going for like 7 hours

Such is life as a loonix casual
>>
Why does this echo "exists":
if [ -e ~/Documents/bookmarks-*.json ]; then echo "exists"; fi

but this doesn't?
if [[ -e ~/Documents/bookmarks-*.json ]]; then echo "exists"; fi

What does the double bracket change?
>>
>>53757592
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/031
>>
>>53757649

So, I can't use globs with [[? What's the alternative?
>>
Does anyone know how to fix tearing when using two monitors with different refresh rates?

I get no tearing (using mint cinnamon) using only one monitor, but as soon as I plug the second one in videos tear and so do any windows being moved around. Looking in the Nvidia X settings, it's showing my main monitor running at 59.97Hz and my secondary at 60. The monitor itself shows it working at 60Hz, so I'm not sure if this is the issue but it's really driving me nuts.
>>
>>53757685
What's wrong with using single brackets? Double brackets are a bashism anyway, don't depend on it if you want to learn to program shell scripts properly.
>>
how would you nogs backup a 8tb partition onto 3x3tb drives?
>>
>>53757849
>muh POSIX compliance
fuck off
>>
>>53757878
>fuck off
Nice argument.
>>
>>53757849

Because the guides recommend using [[ ]] since it's "safer".
>>
>>53756599
>run this
>7z
>7za
>7zr
?????
>>
>>53757902
Stop spreading false informations.
>>
>>53757776
ForceFullCompositionPipeline
>>
File: 1386199408804.jpg (94 KB, 705x616) Image search: [Google]
1386199408804.jpg
94 KB, 705x616
>>53757849
> if you want to learn to program shell scripts properly

Making a shell script with the intent to program properly is like composing a tweet or post-it note with the intent of writing an essay.
>>
>>53757902
I generally just use single brackets where applicable, I'm not aware of all the bashisms and their equivalent to the POSIX way, so I can't help you here. Maybe someone else in the thread can assist you better here.

>>53757938
This is what most guides actually do say though. And as a beginner, who is he to doubt the guides?

>>53757946
It'd be more comparable to writing a tweet and still wanting to use proper grammar so that it actually gets the message across properly.
>>
>>53757946
You don't know what you are talking about, I guess you are new to programming - not a bad thing, but please don't spread your half-knowledge. You program should mainly program POSIX, since it's more portable and faster to use sh. Use bash only when it makes actually sense.

>Making a shell script with the intent to program properly is like composing a tweet or post-it note with the intent of writing an essay.

Since non-posix programming is slower and loads more memory and processor cycles than simple sh, actually using bashisms is equal to use a whole book just to deliver a one-line note.

>>53758015
>This is what most guides actually do say though.
>most guides
Show me one.
>>
>>53757592
>>53757685
You can use globs, some stuff just works a bit different. Try this to see: [[ testing = tes* ]] && echo hello
>>
It's maybe more easy to understand it like this:

[ is actually a program, equal to "test"
[[ is a bash syntax, needs obviously the bash shell to work
>>
>>53758015
Did you actually read >>53757649 ?

For pretty much any string > or < comparisons the POSIX standards are only extensions so may not even exist.
And then for logical AND/OR operations, again, the POSIX standards are actually deprecated because the rules are too strict.

If you want your script to be properly portable, you either never use these features at all, or you use them and make it bash script not a sh script.
>>
>>53758119
>the POSIX standards are actually deprecated because the rules are too strict.
ok kid, also nice provided sources
1/10 made me reply
>>
ITT: people don't read, but post anyway
>>
File: 1376933704158.jpg (22 KB, 130x114) Image search: [Google]
1376933704158.jpg
22 KB, 130x114
>>53758040
>>53758040
I'm not all that new to programming, I've got my few years by now. Although my experience, admittedly, lies in lower-level languages, the occasional python, pearl, etc. Most people I know work on similar things. roughly 90% of everyday shellscripting to my experience is a few lines meant for some hack or another to do minor tasks. I do not see why one would even have the need to care about minor performance differences because the moment such things became relevant in terms of orders of magnitude, I honestly don't see the point of using bash. Things may be different if you actually want to include it as part of a program, but that I would call a fringe usecase in comparison
>>
>>53758136
Does your mother's husband still wipe your ass for you?

http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/031

> /> and /<
>(*) This is an extension to the POSIX standard; some shells may have it, and some may not.

>Logical AND/OR operators
>(**) The -a and -o operators, and ( ... ) grouping, are defined by POSIX but only for strictly limited cases, and are marked as deprecated.
>Use of these operators is discouraged; you should use multiple [ commands instead
>>
>>53758219
lol, see: >>53758157
>>
Hey guys, so I got a Acer Chromebook as a gift. I know zero shit about Linux and Chromeos (sucks btw), but I learned how to enable developed mode with the Root password off.

I'm a Windowfag so I wanted to know any windowlike distro and how to install it? Or some tips and shit.
>>
>>53758219
>> /> and /<
I don't use those, and if I would need them, I'd properly set that single script to use bash explicitly.

>you should use multiple [ commands instead
Sounds like I don't have to change any habits then.

I often have to write scripts to accomplish certain tasks for servers. Some of these run FreeBSD, and thus use csh, some of these run Debian, and thus use bash. The only way to write a script that runs the same on both systems is to write it in POSIX.

>>53758266
Every distro can have windows using whatever WM or DE you prefer. If you actually ment "Windows like", you could look into Mint.
>>
>>53758328
>Every distro can have windows
No, you use a VM for that.
>>
>>53758362
I'm talking about windows, not Windows there. Notice the capital letter. I assumed the rest of the line was clear enough to point it out, but I guess I overestimated some of the people in this thread.
>>
Just use bash people. You program it for yourself, not for the single FreeBSD guy from albania.
>>
>>53758328

On the chromebook do I have to use a USB or just download the iso straight and boot it up using the Chronos shell?
>>
>>53758328
Of course you should limit yourself to POSIX where possible.

My point is only that if you do require extensions or bash specific tools even once in a script, there's hardly any point enforcing POSIX-compliance anywhere else in the same script.

Whilst not needing \> or \< isn't that surprising, I don't see how most people can get very far without a functional && or || operator, so learning bash makes more sense.
>>
>>53758434
&& and || is bashism? wut?
>>
>>53758425
I have no clue, I don't have a Chromebook. I can only try to help you on settling for a certain distro.

>>53758434
>if you do require extensions or bash specific tools even once in a script, there's hardly any point enforcing POSIX-compliance anywhere else
This I completely agree with.

>I don't see how most people can get very far without a functional && or || operator
You don't have to live without these operators, you just can't use them inside [[ ]]. You write multiple [ ] tests and use && or || to link them together in a single if statement.
>>
>>53758472

My bad it was Crouton. But what distro can I use that allow me to use firefox, or other windows programs?
>>
>>53757944
I looked that up and found a line to copy/paste into my xorg.conf but it doesn't seem to have done anything.
>>
>>53758511
Firefox isn't a "Windows" program. You can compile it on pretty much every OS you wish. Firefox is also a pretty common browser, and as far as I know, every distro has it.
Windows specific programs may or may not work through WINE, if you really need those. A safer bet is often to use a VM for the rare software you need that doesn't run on a GNU+Linux distro at all.
>>
>>53758540

> every OS

Not on chrome
>>
>>53758573
I'm pretty sure you could compile Firefox for ChromeOS, if the OS itself didn't lock you out so hard. This is not a restriction from Firefox, which would actually be able to compile and run fine, but a restriction of ChromeOS.
However, let's not go into nitpicking, and just try to find someone who can help you getting a better OS on your hardware .
>>
>>53758573
Try reading the two words he wrote that come before the two you greentexted, retard.
>>
can someone recommend me a good music player? i tried mpd but i had a lot of problems with music directory in my windows partition
>>
>>53758650
>good music player
mpd ofcourse. But since you're having issues, DeaDBeeF might be an alternative. I don't use it myself, but I've seen people recommend it as the "Foobar2k for [GNU+]Linux".
>>
Function keys not working on plugged in keyboard. I can change tty on my laptop's keyboard, but cannot on my plugged in keyboard. The plugged in keyboard has media keys that work as well. When I xev, It shows XF86Switch_VT_n for plugged in, and auto switches for laptop. What I don't understand is if it sees the XF86, why is it not switching?

Manjaro on chromebook with kul 87.
>>
File: save-playlist-option.gif (208 KB, 940x546) Image search: [Google]
save-playlist-option.gif
208 KB, 940x546
>>53758650
Moc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDPOpNVS_tg
is easy, light and you can customize it like you want https://insideloss.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/how-to-use-moc/
>>
>>53758879
looks like shit
>>
>>53758915
What did I tell you about trolling in a friendly thread? Go home Frank, nobody cares.
>>
>not using mpv as music player
>supports more formats than anything else
>implying I need any GUI or TUI to look at while listening to music
:^)
>>
>>53759133
>videos, images, music
what CANT mpv?
>>
Does linux slow down the more packages are installed or does it just depend on how many are running?
>>
>>53759133
Oh yes, I heard mpv supports a lot of formats. Although I don't know how it handles playlists.

Anyway, many music players now support a lot of formats. And often the players in GNU/Linux even more formats than others.
>>
File: 1444181726893.png (192 KB, 333x365) Image search: [Google]
1444181726893.png
192 KB, 333x365
>>53759207
Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system “Linux” is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.
>>
>>53759237
I like how you "gimp" that image ;)
>>
>>53759237
suck my cock you fat fucking wizard cunt
>>
>>53754200
>you will never own a little stallman
wtfel
>>
File: 3c36c7f.jpg (64 KB, 876x419) Image search: [Google]
3c36c7f.jpg
64 KB, 876x419
>>53759302
>>
File: Screenshot_20160330_200419.png (87 KB, 737x740) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160330_200419.png
87 KB, 737x740
Is dolphn the absolute best at this moment?
>>
What should I install with wine? Winetricks and playonlinux?
I want to play some indie games.
>>
>>53758879
>Mr. Scuff

I'd say good tastes but then it's probably just a stock screenshot.
>>
>>53759187
It can't browse the web
>>
How do I download flash for firefox on Ubuntu??
>>
>>53759439
KDE looks nice but it's bloated to shit and unstable for me.
>>
>>53759559
https://get.adobe.com/fr/flashplayer/otherversions/
>>
>>53759551
Well there is Shell Scripting and it also supports Lua, so it's possible to do _automated_ most things.
>>
>>53759559
Why do you need Flash? Flash is depricated spyware.
>>
>>53759599
Bruh its still relevant on the web.
I need it for video streaming
>>
File: 1456162670312.jpg (28 KB, 600x332) Image search: [Google]
1456162670312.jpg
28 KB, 600x332
>>53759599
my nigga
>>
>>53759624
>need
No you don't. Use mpv with youtube-dl. Yes, it works for porn sites as well.
>>
>>53759624
>relevant
No it isn't. Everyone is using HTML5 nowadays.
>streaming
see above, there's also mpv
>>
>>53759645
Doubt that works for streaming live tho
>>
>>53759660
Nigga, VLC can handle streaming and I think mpv too.
>>
>>53759660
You can even watch twitch with mpv, if that's your cup of tea.
>>
>>53759651
The point is I want to access content which isn't using HTML5
>>
>>53759675
Such content must disappear from the web anyway.
>>
>>53759669
>>53759673
Ahh okay thanks, appreciate it
>>
>>53759660
You seem to be pretty retarded. You might want to hit up on some documentation before trying to give any feedback to someone who just gave you the most perfect replacement for everything you'd need flash for.
>>
>>53759724
Fuck that! AMIRITE!
>>
>>53759724
Friendy Thread, don't forget
>>
File: 1458476259361.jpg (47 KB, 400x529) Image search: [Google]
1458476259361.jpg
47 KB, 400x529
What's your favorite DE for Debian on a laptop?

Currently using GNOME on my Debian desktop but I want something lighter/less-battery consuming for the laptop.

But still looking somewhat nice without much tweaking (but allowing for it in the future)
>>
File: 1445118260242.png (223 KB, 950x610) Image search: [Google]
1445118260242.png
223 KB, 950x610
>>53759684
This.
http://occupyflash.org/
>>
>>53759742
I'm always friendly, but I don't think the "friendly" approach is going to help much with people being this dense. Sometimes you have to call someone out on his bullshit.
>>
>>53759767
>What's your favorite DE
None.
>>
>>53759790
So what do you use? i3 and awesome?
>>
>>53759774
Neat, I remember this. Should be on the OP imho.
>>
>>53759795
Or openbox.
>>
>>53759795
i3-gaps or awesome-lain!
>>
>>53759828
>gaps
>>
>>53759795
bspwm, wmutils
>>53759838
>not wanting tiling plus beauty
>>
>>53759828
>>53759815
>>53759795
>>53759790
What DE should I pick in initial netinstall to make it easier to switch to one of these non-DE setups later down the line?

The installer gives me the choice between GNOME, Xfce, KDE, Cinammon, MATE and LXDE

I don't think I'd be confident to get things working just bursting into the OS without any DE's at first
>>
>>53759873
Try em all. Asking /flt/ for favorite DE or distro just leads to shitposting. Enjoy the freedom to try them all (maybe better in a VM) and choose the one you like most.
>>
>>53759923
I meant more in the vein of:
which of those DE's includes the least bloat that I'm going to have to uninstall if I want to switch to not using DE's later down the line

I know from experience that GNOME has a lot of GNOME-unique programs, but I was curious about how light were the others in dependencies and packages

So I'm not really asking for your preference, just if there's any I should pragmatically get if that's my end goal
>>
>>53759873
KDE, GNOME doesn't have thumbnails in it's file picker. Join the master race.
>>
>>53759953
Xfce
>>
>>53759954
>he installed a 1,5 GiB huge filepicker
>>
I'm trying to dual boot Windows 7 and openSUSE Tumbleweed in a vm as preparation for installing it on my pc and I'm having some trouble. I first installed Windows 7, taking up the entirety of the virtual hard drive. Then, I installed Tumbleweed with the latest available image from this page: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed_installation. Without changing any settings, the installer shrunk the Windows 7 partition and installed openSUSE normally. Upon finishing the installation and rebooting, I'm able to boot my Windows installation from grub normally, without any problems. However, If I try to boot openSUSE, I'm thrown into a tty1 session and I'm unable to start the X server. The only way I'm able to start it is by booting from the installation media, and checking the "Boot Linux" option, which then asks me to specify the partition that Suse is installed on. After that, it works fine. Any ideas what might be causing this?
>>
>>53760057
What error do you get starting X?
>>
File: 1456023190263.png (18 KB, 643x480) Image search: [Google]
1456023190263.png
18 KB, 643x480
>>53760153
Pic related. Text also no longer shows up as I'm typing after this error.
>>
>>53758266
What chromebook is it? There's a subreddit devoted to putting Windows on Chromebooks, you might not have to settle with a lookalike if you're more comfortable with Windows. http://reddit.com/r/chrultrabook
>>
>>53760229
If opensuse installed X without setuid, that shouldn't be the problem. Although I think X without root is pretty recent thing.

Check the Xorg log file.
>>
>>53754336
IT'S ALMOST READY
BOB SAID SO
>>
>>53760323
2020 is right around the corner.
>>
Is Xubuntu 16.04 going to run Mir? All the references I see to it are only for Ubuntu. I don't know anything about it other than it looks like it will stop this horrific tearing thats making me use windows.
>>
>>53760459
>Xubuntu 16.04 going to run Mir
Mmmm, I might try it.
>>
>>53760587
Are you saying that yes it will run Mir or are you trying to sound like a hedonist? I honestly can't tell what you mean.
>>
>>53760639
No I think he's just a retard who misread the first sentence you posted. Xfce isn't going to use Mir, only Unity will.
>>
>>53760687
That's what I figured, thanks.
>>
>>53760459
>>53760639
Also, there's a good reason why no other desktop environment will adopt Mir. Everyone else is waiting for Wayland instead.
>>
>>53760639
It turned out my curiosity, for a minute I though it was true.
>>53760687
Very friendly.
>>
>>53760709
Is there any noob friendly distro running that? I'm not touching that rebecca black os. I'm getting really aggravated i can't even watch videos with my second monitor on. I been trying >>53757944 off an on all night.
>>
>>53760779
Wayland is a protocol, not a piece of software, my friend. The spec has been out for quite a while already but software support is still lacking. Programs using Xorg will still be running under Xorg when using Wayland composer. It is goign to be a gradual change and there's no need to rush.
>>
>>53760804
Xorg is fine.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.