[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it testing or sid? I'm confused.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: testing or sid.webm (2 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
testing or sid.webm
2 MB, 1024x768
Is it testing or sid? I'm confused.
>>
Sid is the codename for testing. Like Jessie is the codename for Stable right now.
>>
>>53753555
Wrong
https://www.debian.org/releases/
>>
>>53753590
Forgot Unstable was a thing.
>>
>>53753273
Testing. Your main repos are Stretch's, which is the current testing codename.
>>
>>53753914
Then why sid appears in my screenfetch?
>>
>>53753965
Because that's what's in your /etc/os-release.
>>
>>53753965
it's a bug of screenfetch
>>
>>53754057
in /etc/os-release the
PRETTY_NAME
of testing and sid is the same:
"Debian GNU/Linux stretch/sid"
>>
>>53753273
>using testing instead of stretch in your sources.list

You deserve it desu
>>
>>53754059
>>53754104
/thread
>>
>>53754104
Who said I used testing instead of stretch in my sources.list? Are you okay pal?
>>
puta madre paco what are you doing
>>
>naming your releases after copyrighted characters

The computer animation studio, Pixar, known for its work behind movies like Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, and Toy Story is going after an unexpected opponent. Pixar and Disney are sueing the creator of a computer operating system known as Debian. Debian, a version of the Linux operating system, runs on computers around the world and is known for operating many web servers and being used as a desktop system among hobbists. Debian's creator, Ian Murdock, had named specific releases of his software after characters from the Toy Story movie. Although Murdock has used the naming scheme for more than a decade, Pixar and Disney accuse Murdock of willful trademark violation. "We believe Murdock is attempting to use the Toy Story character names to help bolster his product", says Disney President and CEO, Rober Iger. "We're worried that such a confusing naming system could cause consumers to believe Pixar or Disney are associated with the software." One mother in Atlanta, Georgia already became a victim due to the naming scheme. Lindsey Faulkner (43) a mother of two, bought the software from a local computer shop believing it to be a computer game based on the movie. "The shop only had a disk and no box for it. They told me it was because the software had been used and no box was available but that I'd be getting it at a discount." After installing the software however, Lindsey was horrified to discover what had happened to her computer. "When I turn the computer on it shows a red screen and then goes to black with text in the corner. It stops the Windows and goes into DOS like those really old computers" describes Lindsey. "At this point I just want my computer fixed, but I'm glad to hear legal action is being taken against the makers." www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/05/28/pixar-and-disney-sue-debian/
>>
>>53753273
>>53754059

No, what it is is that when testing goes stable, sid is forked to a new testing repo (stretch.) Since Jessie just came out last year, testing is still in the process of diverging from sid. By next year it will just be testing.

source: I didn't just start using linux yesterday

>>53754696
You can't sue over common names, faggot
>>
>>53755256
Sorry, I guess i'm a fucking retard
>>
>>53754696
>>53755277
quit name fagging retard
>>
>>53754696
Kek, MURICA
>>
>>53754696
Girl who failed university because of ubuntu laptop 2: Debian strikes back
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.