[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have this old Acer TravelMate c310 and was wondering what /g/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 519.jpg (30 KB, 317x400) Image search: [Google]
519.jpg
30 KB, 317x400
I have this old Acer TravelMate c310 and was wondering what /g/ would install on it
>inb4 install gentoo
and what to use it for.
Specs: Pentium M @ 1.73GHz
256MB RAM
40GB @ 5400RPM HDD
I have Lubuntu on it right now but it's still pretty slow.
>>
Try win 98 or win2k.
256MB ram is not really enough for winXP with SP3.

For linux there are few choices really.
Either going for a very minimal graphical setup like tinycore linux or puppy linux

or (what i'd do really)

going full stallman mode and using it in text-mode only.
for that ubuntu server, debian stable or maybe even centos should be plenty.

You could really learn some useful stuff when put in front of a mother OS without a gooeyyy
>>
File: 1459200258501.jpg (64 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1459200258501.jpg
64 KB, 800x600
Nothing.
Let it rest already... It has not deserved this.

Also, if Lubuntu runs slow, everything will unless you have a very specific task for it to run only.

My answer to your question is. If you don't know what to do with it exactly, and you just want a full blown OS on it but Lubuntu runs slow, throw it away.

>"Why is my computer running so slow?"
>"Your hardware is shit."
>"But it ran windows xp just fine"
>"Then install win xp and stfu"
>"Do the linux for me!"
>"Ok."
>"It runs like shit!"
>"Because it didn't change the shitty hardware."
>"But it ran win xp just fine!"
And so on, for every, the end, fuck you.
>>
>>53751189
OpenBSD
>>
>>53751221
Or he can start wearing fedoras, smoking e-cigs and growing a neckbeard.

Nah, just a joke. You're cool. Text-mode only teaches you a lot of stuff.

But he has lubuntu installed, so I guess he wants this thing to perform wonders.
With 256mb ram, everything more than hobby projects or experiments are just stupid.
>>
>>53751189
I have something very similar to that, an inspiron 1300. Unlike yours it had a celeron M and 512 MB of ddr2 ram. Overclocked it using a pinmod and upgraded it's ram to 2gigs.

Going to use it as a backup server but I've been trying debian with lxde on it, runs quite smoothly but that 256MB ram of yours is going to be a problem. You can probably find notebook ram for cheap on ebay. You can still get something out of it with a ram upgrade.
>>
>>53751189
Dude buy a new one.
In ebay, you can get easy a decent one for 100$.
>>
OP here.
I thought about using it as some form of server or maybe mess around with pfsense or something. This thing isn't my daily driver, just something I have laying around. I hate to throw out something that works even if it's shit.
>>
>>53751189
Ubuntu server
>>
>>53752034
Let it die OP. Seriously, it wouldn't be efficient to use it for anything.

Give it to one of those computer charity places, they might be able to strip it down and make use of something
>>
OS X
>>
>>53751365
This. OpenBSD gets better & better with age.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.