[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apple cucks BTFO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 4
File: uUIr1bE.png (420 KB, 672x685) Image search: [Google]
uUIr1bE.png
420 KB, 672x685
Apple cucks BTFO
>>
so they gave up with the whole m-muh backdoor thing?
>>
>>53748720
the main thing they wanted from the case was a precedent that companies could be compelled to assist in cracking their own security. once that didnt look like it was going to happen they had no reason to continue the case.
>>
Why would they come out to the public and say they've cracked the iPhone?
Wouldn't it make much more sence for them to remain quiet about it and give us the idea that info on the iPhone is safe?
>>
>>53748748
They cracked an old iPhone with an old iOS version with known vulnerabilities
>>
This is simply the FBI's way of saving face, since they've failed to establish their bullshit precedent (for now).
>>
I fail to see how this classifies as BTFO. Apple didn't back down in court which is good since no precedent case is going to be set. It's obvious any device can be cracked if you try long and hard enough and/or pay specialized companies huge amounts of money. To think anything else would be naive.
>>
About time. Although its likely they already had it cracked from nearly the beginning they just saw an opportunity to weaken encryption here and feigned ignorance.
>>
>>53748694
Why? It actually looks like Apple won this one. The FBI tried to pressure Apple into creating a quick and easy to way to get access to any iPhone. They failed and now they are trying to make the discussion seem absurd, as they supposedly got into the phone anyway (it doesn't even matter whether they really did or found something, as it was never about this one phone. They knew there's nothing of worth on that piece of shit).
>>
>>53748769
Applelels full damage control today
>>
>>53748855
Except wasting tax payer money Apple was only defending that security to prevent prying eyes to see what's under their proprietary blankets.

Who do you fear more the guberment boogymen or 1000s of faceless corporations looking into your life as they pay apple behind the back?
>>
>>53749001
I fear both about equally that's why I don't want them sharing information back and forth
>>
They have said they have cracked it to 1. save face and 2. pretend they can crack any phone so the 'terrists' supposedly get the fear (bullshit).

They still probably can't crack the latest iPhones but don't want to say that aloud.
>>
>>53749150
On this basis I would say it's the FBI that got BTFO and Apple are laughing their ass off.
>>
>>53749164
>Apple are laughing their ass off.

because their phones can be cracked?

i don't think so
>>
>>53748971
>B-B-BU-BUH-BUT-BUT-BUH-BUT
k
>>
>>53749164
this

> Apple literally REKT fbi in the court
> w-we don't need you anymore applel haha! The jews cracked it, r-right guys????
>>
>tfw people hating on Apple just to be contrarians
>tfw people believe they have anything more than useless metadata

Sorry andrones, I'll use one of your phones when all of them can run your latest shitware.
>>
>>53749231
its easy to get butt-hurt, when you paid through the nose for the latest iphone

and its no more secure than ... uh .. windows phone 10?
>>
>>53749257
My iPhone is $10/month. I don't know what streets you've been shitting in but where I'm from not all of us are poor
>>
>>53749231
>contrarian
reddit babby just learned a new buzzword, hang yourself
>>
>>53749271
You shouldn't be on 4chan while you're in high school, pay attention to the teacher.
>>
>>53748694
>managed to unlock
>passcode 0000 or 1234

dont doubt they always could unlock it, they just gave up on trying to force the case to their advantage

>I still dont like apple
>I am just capable of rational thought
>>
McAffee was right again.
>>
>>53749231
>tfw
>no face
This is how I know you're wrong.
>>
>>53749422
>tfw
>face

sounds pretty cuck senpai baka
>>
>>53749191
Only a single 5C from what we can gather. It does not mean they can crack all iPhones.
>>
>>53749472
likely they managed to work out his passcode or used one of the well know and patched issues
>>
>>53749231
>it's contrarian to hate apple

since when?
>>
>>53748748
>Wouldn't it make much more sence for them to remain quiet about it and give us the idea that info on the iPhone is safe?

you would think. i guess someones ego at the fbi got hurt and they had to say i won no matter what.

hmm is bill gates running the fbi??
>>
The real question is why isn't Crook in jail yet? Fucker straight up supports terrorism.
>>
I though applel was mega uncrackable ;p
>>
File: 1459019563227.jpg (129 KB, 716x798) Image search: [Google]
1459019563227.jpg
129 KB, 716x798
>>53750753
>>
>>53748694
jailbreaking phones is now a crime feds will now be sued

isn't it better when they follow the law & people are protected by it
>>
>>53749257
Getting stressed about a $600 phone.

Topkek
>>
>>53748694
>and they still want muslims to freely come to this country
>>
>>53748694

There's not a damn thing on that phone and they know it.

The real revelation in all this is that that fbi has no collusion with nsa, just like all the rumors said.
>>
>>53748694
This is smoke screen. Apple will provide backdoored phones in the future, but it just don't want everybody knowing about it.
>>
Jews outsmart muslims.
Film at eleven.
>>
>>53748694
No shit.
All the feds have to do is wait a few months until publicly disclosed vulnerabilities are released.
In this case, they just found one themselves.

I was actually really surprised the feds actually tried to go the legal route: they know the fucking game and they still were so impatient that they had to make a fuss publicly about something that they normally can do themselves all the fucking time.
>>
>>53748694
#PrayForSyed

He didn't do nuffin wrong
He was just oppressed by our culture
>>
>>53752271
>oppression
doesn't his culture want everyone else dead for not being as pure as him?
bait/10
>>
>>53752311
desu lad if you're not pure you should apply yourself
>>
>>53752311
He was innocent
He didn't know what was happening
He was just poor and oppressed and he saw no future

He didn't do nuffin wrong
>>
>Refuse to crack terrorist's phone
>Isis advises supporters to buy iPhones
>The feds crack the phone later regardless
>The right to return the phones already expired
>Apple is going to announce the most successful quarter in a long time

I guess everything went pretty well, huh?
>>
>>53752371
>>The feds crack the phone later regardless
heh
>>
>>53749422
>tfw this guys is so new, nobody took off the protection film on his face and told him what >tfw means yet
>>
>>53748739
That makes no sense. Why not go through court proceedings so the next time a similar thing occurs, Apple will be forced (assuming court sides with gov) to assist law enforcement.
If the same thing happens, wouldn't they be back im court?
>>
>>53748694
>everytime the gunman doubted his plan, he looked into his wife's face and knew that no matter what would happen, everything would be better than this

who can blame him
>>
>>53752443
said the permanent virgin
>>
>>53748739
/thread
>>
>>53749422
>>53749434
tfw means "that feel when" you new faggots.
>>
>>53752433
>(assuming court sides with gov)
>that didnt look like it was going to happen

Fucking read.

Forcing a company to carry out work, is essentially forcing a contract on them, otherwise known as conscription.

If the government can arbitrarily conscript people for reasons other than war, then kiss civil society goodbye.
>>
>>53748748
>give us the idea that info on the iPhone is safe
they don't want terrorist to feel safe, what do you meant by """us""" btw?

also this:>>53748739
>>
Cellebrite
>>
So how did they crack it?
According to /g/ everything was encrypted and would take millions of years to bruteforce it
>>
>>53752433
>Why not go through court proceedings so the next time a similar thing occurs, Apple will be forced to assist
that's what the FBI is doing. They dropped the case before a judge could rule on this particular instance because if the FBI lost then they would have no reasonable standing to threaten a company to do work to break their own encryption.

The FBI seemed to think that
1) With the San Bernardino attack, public opinion would strongly support them, and
2) The courts would support them as well, "because terrorism",

but inexplicably the FBI didn't anticipate that Apple would have competent lawyers and an equally or more competent PR/advertising team (see: Samsung case; also, see: all of their advertising over the past 15+ years).

Once the FBI realized their case was not looking good on either front, they withdrew so that they could live to fight another day.

I'm sort of surprised that nobody has brought up the parallels with patent troll organizations; this is a common tactic that patent trolls have tried when they would lean on a company (like Newegg) and, upon realizing that they're going to be dragged into a serious and bloody fight, try to escape before a judge can invalidate the one thing justifying their legal action - the patent itself. The FBI doesn't want to risk a judge ruling that a company can't be forced to do work to break its own encryption because then they can't threaten future companies.

>>53752638
It's not strictly "work", but some kind of free speech issue, to some extent.

A judge can sure as fuck compel you to go through documents pertaining to a case and produce them for the court. "Civil society", whatever that means, be damned.

It's not a question of forcing Apple to pay 10 or 20 highly educated people to do work for 4-8 weeks; courts effectively compel Apple to do that with lawyers, who are arguably more formally educated/trained than engineers (who generally don't go to earn equivalent post baccalaureate degrees).
>>
>>53752875
Retard do research

>cellebrite
>>
>>53752875
The iPhone 5C doesn't use the Secure Enclave, so it's theoretically possible to duplicate the device and make password guesses on that duplicate as many times as they need.

The 5S and later all use the Secure Enclave, which doesn't facilitate that process.
>>
>>53752433
Word on the street is that Apple offered to unlock the phone for the FBI if they just did it quietly and didn't take it to court.

There's a reasonable amount of evidence that they have done so for the FBI many times in the past.
>>
>>53752433
>That makes no sense.
I'm guessing you are not an Anglo.
The Anglo court system operates differently from the rest of the world.
The jury is the one responsible for determining the result of the cases.
The judge is merely there to stand witness, and to call upon previous cases that were the same or similar to the present one being heard, to pronounce the date of the previous such case that happened and reference the type and quantity of punishment that was judged then in the present case.
While the general continental European system has a minimum and maximum legal sentence for cases and doesn't operate on past procedures, but operates relative to the situation and relative to the state of being of the one being prosecuted (his financial standing, his social standing, how hard his life is, his family situation, all have an effect on how the sentence will be carried out in terms of the severity of punishment). The same doesn't apply in USA.

So the USA is big on setting precedents, because each judging is a base standard that judges in future such cases will base upon.
>>
>>53753000
Not him, but I haven't seen any of that evidence and I feel like I've been keeping somewhat up to date on the news. Unless you're talking about conspiratorial/conspiracy theory news stories, which I largely discount.

Apple has definitely given LEOs access to stuff like iCloud backups and whatnot, when provided with a legal court order. The crux of the issue here is whether the local data encrypted on your iPhone is something they should help with as well, and the evidence seems to be that Apple hasn't and won't help with that.

If Apple had quietly helped in the past, then this entire news story makes no sense;
- why would the FBI push their relationship given historical cooperation on precisely the same circumstances (unless you're leaving out some crucial difference)
- why wouldn't the FBI tell the court that Apple has participated in this cooperation in the past, thus destroying the argument that this would be an undue burden on Apple
- why would Apple fight back on this *now*, suddenly, rather than earlier

etc...
>>
>>53749472
should the technology exist to put a dead guy's finger on a fingerprint scanner, I am sure they can get in.
>>
>>53753073
If an iPhone has been turned off, the first unlock after it's turned back on has to be done with passcode. The fingerprint scanner does not suffice.

I'm glad we can suss out the trivial factual questions, but if an opportunity to google this stuff on your own presents itself, don't let us stop you.
>>
File: koiru.jpg (83 KB, 700x561) Image search: [Google]
koiru.jpg
83 KB, 700x561
>>53753096
Why would it be turned off though? Maybe the terrorist wants to call his iman after shooting up a theater to get his GBP
>>
>>53753000

Bullshit. Apple was never asked to unlock the device, nor was the court order to unlock it either.

The FBI knew better than to ask because in this situation it couldn't be done by Apple as a simple unlock.

Learn what's actually goiing on before spewing your pie hole.

>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all
>>
>>53753201
>Why would it be turned off though?
Either because the conspirator is competent (and knows that this is necessary to ensure security) or because the law enforcement officers are incompetent. Just one of these needs to be true.

Additionally, you can simply *not* use a fingerprint passcode on your phone; the improved security afforded by Secure Enclave are not limited to fingerprint passcode users.
>>
>>53748694
I wonder what they've found. 2 text messages?

>"hey honey, u up 2 some shooting later today?"
>"sure thing bae"
>>
>>53748694
how exactly? Apple won. they called the FBI's bluff by refusing to cave to backdoors. rather than set a legal precedent, the FBI tucked their tails between their legs and WITHDREW the litigation against apple. This is what Microcucks can't do, support a company that has a fucking backbone and stands for something (ie protecting their customers backs)
>>
>>53753241
This is what's kind of crazy. It was a work phone and they're only missing a few weeks of data. And, if I remember correctly, these two were just their own special homemade crazy couple.

There's no broader conspiracy to be found or unraveled here. All this fighting is a matter of principle; there is simply no realistic expectation that they'll find anything useful, let alone actionable, from this one iPhone.
>>
>>53748694

Is the joke that Apple will unlock any device if a government agency wants one and still advertise >muh encryption and private data
for their sheep consumers?
>>
>>53748748
it would come up in a court of law, regardless
>>
>>53748748
I actually think this entire thing was basically the FBI trying some shit and it blowing up in their faces at every turn. Someone big is going to be fired for this debacle.

>find iphone with legit terrorist info on it
>perfect excuse to get backdoor from big company!
>"inadvertently" lock phone; surely this won't come up later?
>ask apple discretely to unlock apple phones
>apple fucks everything in the plan up by saying no
>FBI is angry, says apple gib backdoor pls or we will prosecute
>apple: no, bill of rights
>FBI: appl pls
>apple: no
>FBI: ok court
>court: no
>apple: ha
>FBI: apple pls or we will break into phone and make u look unsecure
>apple: no
>FBI: ok broke into phone hahahaha tell to world naow u look bad
>world: wow FBI shady, apple vury brave senpai

I pretty much hate all parties involved, but the FBI was fucking retarded
>>
>>53748769
>They cracked an old iPhone with an old iOS version with known vulnerabilities

This applies to 95% of devices, though.
>>
>>53748748
so they don't come off as completely incompetent.
>>
FBI spilled water on the phone and ruined it.
>Nice.
>>
>>53753489
No.
The FBI didn't want Apple to "unlock" one iPhone. They wanted Apple to build a method of breaking into all and any iPhones, with or without the owner's knowledge or consent.
Oh, and they lied about it and contrived a test case to try and force Apple's hand.
>>
>>53757118
Walking reporters through the mishap, Dorrinson said that shortly after the iPhone was unlocked, “There were a lot of high-fives, which led to the unfortunate spilling of the water.”
>>
>>53748694
"oh sure guys... come on into the United States... welcome!", says the customs agent.
>>
>>53757035
>This applies to 95% of devices, though.
... prior to iOS 6, yes.
But most iPhones are on the latest version applicable.
>>
>>53748694
What it goes to show is that all fucking Apple is doing with their high and mighty muh privacy stance is delaying LEAs. The FBI was basically asking Apple to save them some fucking time in case they have time sensitive information that can prevent ongoing terror attacks.
Delaying this shit is to nobody's advantage but the terrorists.
If you support Apple you're literally a terrorist sympathizer.
>>
>>53748739
at least the very public failure buys certain civil liberties an extra year or two

>>53748748
>we need apple, citizens,
>we need apple, your honor
>it's so important that we need 3 months of several lawyers' time at $250k/yr+
>it's so important that we need 3 months of several press people's time at $65k/yr+
>apple is unamerican for resisting this court order
>apple refused to help us
>all we did was change the password and turn it off
>we did nothing to spoil forensic evidence
>only apple can unlock the device
>it contains vitally important evidence
>we need apple
>lol nvm

and not a word on any evidence on the phone. something important would definitely have leaked. did farook take a sick day or a personal day for the attack?
>>
>>53757442
>something important would definitely have leaked
kek, there's a reason bradley manning, julian assange and edward snowden are balls deep in shit, fucktard. Leaking usually spells trouble for you.
>>
>>53757466
they waterboarding electronics now
>>
>>53757507
"if work on human, it work on thinky machine"
>>
>>53748694
Link+pastebin
>>
File: security.png (26 KB, 448x274) Image search: [Google]
security.png
26 KB, 448x274
>>53757507
>>
>>53757270
>But most iPhones are on the latest version applicable.

>Oh hey is that the latest iOS?
>Nah man, I heard it gives you virus and breaks shit.
>...

I can see why microsoft pushes windows 10 updates out so forcefully, even if I don't agree.
>>
>>53757487
yet it still happens constantly. all the stories you read in the newspaper from sources who speak "on the condition of anonymity" involve leaks. the truth in the case is that we don't need a leak to understand what is on his work phone: nothing important
>>
>>53756944
>court: no
Didn't the court say yes, then apple appealed?
>>
>>53759171
My theory is the FBI knew what the eventual court decision was likely to be.
>>
>>53749271
You sure you didn't have to look up what that word means, buddy?
>>
>>53752433
are you daft? it was CLEAR they were going to do the exact opposite - i.e. set a binding legal precedent that a tech company would NOT be liable to help them in that situation. they backed the shit out of the whole thing because of it
>>
I assumed they cloned the iPhone's memory and brute forced it. Does this mean the phone only had the 4 digit passcode?
>>
>>53748694
I dislike Apple as much as the next guy, but are you fully spasticated or something?

When shit like this happens we all lose.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.