[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you justify torrenting media and blocking ads? I just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
How do you justify torrenting media and blocking ads?

I just like to think I've disappeared off the face of the planet, behind my VPNs. I like to think I'm doing good, making every digital file available and freely shareable, like it should be. There's no fucking file system in mainstream mobile OSes, everything's moving to the cloud/streaming model for this reason. They don't want you doing basic file management, because it would probably enable filesharing.

Blocking ads, eh, I do it because I can. No spam, no website theme clashes, no banner ads that lead to viruses. They brought the ad blocking revolution on themselves. If all else fails I just pull a Thom Yorke "I'm not here, this isn't happening..." - there's no weight I have to pull as part of my bargain for free web services. I work in tech so at least I'm giving back.
>>
I only really block ads because of their tracking.
>>
>>53747784
b-but muh freedoms
>>
File: choose wisely.png (563 KB, 920x526) Image search: [Google]
choose wisely.png
563 KB, 920x526
blocking ads is the best thing you can do for a non-tech person. It'll keep shit off their computer better than anti-virus
>>
There's nothing to justify.
I literally could not afford to enjoy all my favorite things if I had to pay for all of them.
I'm certainly not going to pay 40,000円 for a whole season of imported anime that most likely will never receive a western release.

And fuck ads, they're literally the reason why viruses and ransomware still exist in 2016.
>>
>>53747809
>that pic

This is a plague on the internet and can't die soon enough
>>
>>53747784
>How do you justify ... blocking ads?
It's not my fault websites enter shitty advertising models where they don't get paid up front for displaying advertising for companies like every other media does.

I mean, they're basically admitting that space on their websites are worthless if they're going to insert advertising into their content without any guarantee of return.
>>
>>53747784
I block ads because they are annoying, intrusive, aggressive. It's just not realistic to expect me to listen to a 15-30 second trailer every time I load a new song on youtube. I suppose you could say I'm taking content for free that I have no right to, but I made a reasonable effort here. I used to buy music and I didn't block ads. Annoying ads pushed me away.

I don't torrent and don't really believe in the ideology behind torrenting. People talk as if they are entitled to everything they download off the internet. As if someone on the other end didn't put a lot of time and money into making that.

I pay for Netflix intermittently and will occasionally stream something from an illegitimate site if I can't find it elsewhere. I tell myself I'm making a reasonable effort to keep things legitimate and if the market isn't keeping up with my needs as a customer (for example, my need to watch HBO shows in a timely manner) then I turn to piracy.
>>
>>53747784
Also, your point about lack of file system in mobile OSs is silly. They turned to cloud/streaming systems because it's genuinely more efficient. There's not some big conspiracy to prevent people from pirating by removing functionality from the OS.
>>
Now that the streaming game is getting stronger though, I'll probably move on from torrenting eventually. Why go through the hassle of downloading a copy you're only gonna watch once? and if you do, if it's any decent quality those HDDs are gonna fill up fast. Paying a fee for netflix to host a huge library of media I can access at any time seems like a good deal to me.

I recently switched to spotify, actually. The quality is as high as I want it, and their library is nearly perfect.

Convenience is going to outphase torrenting eventually, I think.

>ads
unethical business practice, it shouldn't be allowed in the first place
>>
>>53747921
i used to be like you
i was paying for netflix every month until i realized that every time I felt like watching an old movie, netflix NEVER had it, so I would download it from piratebay.

also, stop caring about people having their intellectual property downloaded without permission, you act as if they haven't already been paid for hundreds of thousands of times over.
>>
>>53747784
>torrenting media
It's effectively taken the place of watching stuff on TV for me. What I see that I like, I'll buy.

>blocking ads
A) I fucking hate being advertised at. B) most malware that gets anywhere these days comes from legit advertising networks, so from a purely security viewpoint, they need to be blocked.

>There's no fucking file system in mainstream mobile OSes, everything's moving to the cloud/streaming model for this reason. They don't want you doing basic file management, because it would probably enable filesharing.
If you're doing those things on mobile, you're doing it wrong anyway.
>>
>>53747784

If torrenting and blocking ads makes me an asshole I'm happy to be one.
>>
>>53747784
>There's no fucking file system in mainstream mobile OSes
Only on iOS.
>>
>>53748076
this
as long as there are normies "supporting" the authors I don't give a fuck about what kind of person pirating makes me
for that I reason I also would never show a normie how to pirate
that might sound selfish, but if no one was selfish we wouldn't have media to pirate
>>
>justify
I don't justify, I simply do. How do Sony and other companies justify their evil and harmful practices? Obviously, they don't.
>>
I was never going to by anything I pirate or I am testing programs for wine use that I will pay for once I know if they work. Never would pay for something that doesn't work or they weren't getting my money as it is.

ads are just irritating and intrusive, I try to white list stuff with ads that are small and to the side, but most of the time I forget to stop blocking ads to check if they meet that criteria
>>
>>53747784
I don't torrent content. I block ads because fuck you; there are enough mindless dipshits that don't use adblock on the internet for you not to pester me with disabling mine. You'll get your ad revenue.
>>
Ads are bloated garbage that clutters your browsing experience. Also pop-unders can go to hell.
>>
>>53747784
I dont, I just do it cuz they can't into anti-piracy laws in my country, same with ads
>>
<p align="justify">
>>
you must get me b4 asking me to 'justify' anything

you malware-bundled mega-linked kike
>>
I don't justify it. I just do it.
>>
>>53747784
I don't torrent, but I block ads because they're annoying as fuck, especially when it's the same ad over and over again. Although if a website has non-annoying ads I'll gladly white list it.
>>
>>53747809
>ads to make you download viruses
>the actual file is a virus too
Kek, don't even visit such sites
>>
File: 1459183888402.png (221 KB, 499x520) Image search: [Google]
1459183888402.png
221 KB, 499x520
I dont justify it
i just do it
>>
File: 8oiunsadf4.jpg (21 KB, 265x491) Image search: [Google]
8oiunsadf4.jpg
21 KB, 265x491
Blocking ads should be part of overall basic security measures
>>
>>53747784
as of 30/3/16 I am not legally compelled to watch ads or buy torrents under a court of law
>>
im fine with ads that dont track or have targeted advertising and are static images, but most of the time it isn't like that.

thats one reason why i have adblock disabled on 4chan

i torrent stuff i can't afford or will never buy, or if i want a drm free copy of something i already have
>>
>How do you justify ...
Enough people pay for this crap that I have no reason to have concern.

>there's no fucking filesystem in mainstream mobile OSes

Speak for yourself, iFag.
>>
File: 4L_mi5KDsYo.png (274 KB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
4L_mi5KDsYo.png
274 KB, 1242x2208
>>53755408
iFag here. Sitting comfy with my iOS file manager.
:^)
>>
>>53756066

Jailbroken, I presume?
>>
>>53747784
The ads are so annoying and intrusive I feel morally justified to block them, especially since a lot are clickbait spam or misleading buttons leading to malware.

As for torrenting media, yes I feel bad doing it. However I have a crap min-wage job so buying films, music, subscriptions etc. just wouldn't be feasible. I'd pay for stuff if I could justify the expense.
>>
>>53756066
see how no one cares
>>
>>53747784
>There's no fucking file system in mainstream mobile OSes
u wot. Android senpai
>>
I have been online and doing ecommerce for close to two decades. I've never clicked on an ad and purchased something.
>>
>>53747810
you know we have a character for en right? ¥
>>
>>53747784
OK Computer > Kid A
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.