[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've started getting a S.M.A.R.T. failure warning when I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Hard-Drive-Failure[1].png (343 KB, 697x480) Image search: [Google]
Hard-Drive-Failure[1].png
343 KB, 697x480
I've started getting a S.M.A.R.T. failure warning when I boot up. It's a 500GB drive with only about 225GB used. I have a new 1TB drive and I'm wondering what the best and easiest way to copy everything over is. So that I can give the new drive the same label (D:) and still hopefully run programs without having to change installation paths or whatever.

Is copy and paste fine? Is there a program for something like this?
>>
Google clonezilla
I think thats what u want to use
>>
>>53747763
I use this tool religiously:
http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

I work in IT and I've had to use this countless times. I linked the free version, but there is a paid version too if you're interested.
>>
>>53747763
>put in new drive. it'll show up as E: or something
>copy everything from old drive to new drive
>remove old drive
>use the Disk Management thing (should be under Computer Management in the control panel part of the start menu, not sure though since I'm not on Windows) to change the new drive's letter to D:

done
>>
>>53747763
Split drive into two partitions, one for your OS and one for your "D:" drive, and use either clonezilla or Macrium Reflect (I use the latter) to clone your OS partitions to the new drive.

I should check out Clonezilla again, something about it made me ragequit it for Macrium, but that was quite a while ago now. Wish I could remember.
>>
>>53748619
So do I >>53748628, and I find Reflect more feature rich, YMMV though. Check it out if you haven't seen it I guess.

> tfw earnest sysadmin offering advice on /g/
> tfw automatically feel like shill
>>
>>53747763
>Is copy and paste fine?
the only time you need to fuck with cloning software is if the drive is your boot drive (C:, 99.999% of the time)
>>
>>53748628
I dont need to install the OS on that disk. Gonna be putting in a 240GB SSD that I'm gonna partition for OS and steam use.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check out the programs listed.

cheers /g/ents
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.