[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think of PLASMA TV:s?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: Panasonic G30.jpg (33 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
Panasonic G30.jpg
33 KB, 1500x1000
What does /g/ think of PLASMA TV:s?
>>
Never understood the 600hz refresh rate.
Apparently it's just 60hz I guess and it flashes the image 10 times.
>>
Is Panasonic still making plasmas? Last I heard they'd stopped.

Had one that was the fucking bomb.
>>
>>53746777
2013 was the last year of the Plasma TV.

It was the ultimate TV at the time for viewing gook cartoons and their nice colors.
>>
Seriously nobody else on /g/ had experiences with Plasma?

Not even burn in shitposting
>>
>>53746746
from what I heard it is a superior technology even now, but didn't get the deserved attention
>>
>>53746760
They use pulse width modulation, so they can basically call the refresh rate anything they want. LCD/LEDs use full cycles so they have a rate of usually 50-120hz. Plasmas don't use full cycles, they use multiple rapid cycles simultaneously.
>>
What kind TV can get rid of that awful fucking motion judder without smoothing shit

I have a plasma TV and an LCD monitor and they both get shitfuck eyeraping motion judder, it was less noticable on CRT but still there
>>
File: Pioneer Kuro.jpg (662 KB, 2100x1280) Image search: [Google]
Pioneer Kuro.jpg
662 KB, 2100x1280
Is the Pioneer Kuro meme still alive and kicking?
>>
>>53746950
>>53746746
I have a Sanyo (aka low-end). It's quite nice.
They died out because of power consumption and the fact that laying them down destroys them (the glass panels are too heavy to be laid on top of each other).
>>
>>53746908
Not so much burn in, but a gradual dulling of colors over time, within 5 or so years you'll find yourself turning up the color and brightness til they reach maximum.
>>
>>53747152
It varies from model to model. I actually have the Sanyo playing right now at default settings. Full color without issue.
>>
i rather enjoy my samsung plasma
>>
File: 65.jpg (38 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
65.jpg
38 KB, 600x450
>Pioneer,JVC,GRUNDIG,SHARP(EU),PHILIPS all left the TV manufacturing business

Next to croak most likely Panasonic hell even SONY's might be sold off and dissolved.
>>
>>53746908
I've experienced it, but on my LG plasma purchased in 2009, its not a big deal. It does happen, but I don't have any permanent damage yet. Still images, especially when the TV isn't warm, stick around like a ghost for a few minutes, then just go. It's almost 100% never a problem, besides the odd Bluray/DVD menu that has a black background. But in playing movies, its fine and nothing. I just have to consciously remember to turn the TV off if I've paused it and walk away. Which saves on power anyway desu. Though in its current age, I've noticed it getting worse, which is a damn shame, probably means its on its way out after 7 years.

Colour and blacks are gorgeous. I wish they were still making them. The only option from here is fucking OLED. Which has easily worse permanent burn in than Plasma did. Though I guess with the same vigilance, it will be fine. I'll probably look at a Curved Sony 4k screen. Should be cash-monay. Though
Plasma will always be superior in my mind. It would have taken over the industry if some fucking shit cunt (probably samsung trying to protect its LCD business) spread the burn-in rumors. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but it was very highly exaggerated, and probably made worse by the fact that some shitty brand probably sold a bunch of cheap ones that had a high failure rate because of using rejected displays.
It probably would have taken over the industry if they had solved the burn in altogether.

>>53747108
Bravia Engine on Sony TV's is pretty fucking smooth. Though you don't want smoothing... so...
>>
>>53747226
I mean when you install shit like SmoothVideoProject on Windows, there's options made for anime where it just tries to remove panning judder instead of smooth everything. There has to be some kind of TV solution for that.

It's god awful in videogames that run 30fps, as well as the aforementioned anime, and smoothing those introduces input lag and garbage picture respectively
>>
>>53747239
>It's god awful in videogames that run 30fps

Emulation I presume?
>>
>>53746746

Was great tech for it's time.

But now we have OLED, Plasma's spiritual successor, with LG leading the charge on quality OLED TVs.
>>
>>53747247
Emulation and consoles. At least with emulation a CRT filter seems to help.
>>
>>53747276
Yeah there is not much you can do especially in MAME arcades dont give a fuck about any video standard, you got some games that run in 55.5hz-59,6hz these are the ones that usually got that lagging scrolling.
>>
>>53748876
2011 was a terrible year for Panasonic Plasma's though the models of this year suffered from some serious overheating issues.

2008-2010 was fine though
>>
The last great plasma was the Panasonic ZT60.

I wish I could have afforded it at the time. I have a UK specific G20B and it's a bit 'meh' (fluctuating black levels, banding, crap motion compensation and not very good blacks).

My next TV will be OLED or a variant of.
>>
>>53746746
Plasma was cucked before it hit it's stride, just look at a fully tweaked 8th generation KURO against the junk that was sold like 7-8 years later and you will find flaws (hell even Panasonic plasmas from 2002 have some positive design characteristics not seen in late models)

>>53746760
>Never understood the 600hz refresh rate
600hz terminology was a marketing invention to counteract the 240hz/480hz jargon from LCD makers, if you want to get technical plasmas refresh at many thousands of times the signal frequency

>apparently it's just 60hz I guess and it flashes the image 10 times
In the shortest most simplified explanation pixels are "selected / primed" and the panel lights up the selected pixels simultaneously at a regular interval (say 10000hz), you can then create binary combinations (bad) or use linear coding and generate any square waveform you like over the time-space of each frame

If you want to see why binary coding is a "poor mans" method look at this high speed capture of binary vs linear coding (top), you can see the dithering patterns and "false contours" are out of control on the bottom plasma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWecqe04DTI

Don't have time to write any more shit here now srry (yes i posted this twice)
>>
>>53748923
It's hit and miss the 65PZ800 and xxVT20 was nice but the others in those series are lacking

>>53749057
ZT60 still has banding but it's nothing compared to your G20, the best thing you can do is run in 60hz mode and use smooth motion or such things in your video renderer (which requires a HTPC), also keep the contrast setting as low as you can tolerate
>>
>>53746746
It's dead Jim
>>
One thing that I liked about PLASMAs was that they were quite solidly calibrated in CINEMA & THX mode these LCDs are simply god awful straight out of the box
>>
>>53747219
b-but we still have chanchong plasmas with some stolen designs from LG and panasonic
>>
I have a 50"(i think) samsung plasma tv. Its still going strong for like 9 years
>>
>>53749251
Funny because plasmas vary alot from model to model depending on the uniform deposition of each layer, not many makers even bother to test individual units
>>
One a somewhat related note what do you guys think truly set off the 1080p "hype" around 2007-2009?

The TV manufacturers seem to believe that people truly went nuts for the 1920x1080p but from what I can see that was quite a gross oversimplification.
It seems that the average joe was more impressed how thin the TV was and how clear the picture was which is more related to HDMI as a input source(though 1080p does play a part in it don't get me wrong). Now if you can transport yourself back to 2001-2005 there was a lot people that had these great XBR,Trinitron,Quintrix sets backed up with expensive as fuck DVD's,A/V Receivers but they all hooked them up with fucking composite so their fancy sets didn't really matter much because they got those washed out composite signal jaggies weak colours and what not.

Seriously these people with these fantastic sets used to praise my crappy ass Funai set about how clear the picture was because I hooked up my PS2 through SCART RGB.
>>
>>53749483
Yeah I picked up a nice HD plasma for a hundred bucks and they had it hooked up by a single yellow RCA cable for ten years (the set has been running for ten years straight), the box they sent me the TV in was a 4K XBR Sony

I hope the fucker came with cables or they will actually be downgrading
>>
A lot of the problems that came with digital was poor compression algorithms and bitrate starvation. That was why when people switched from analog to digital and from CRT to large LCD panels it looked awful (and still does on a lot of cable/terrestrial channels). CRT was actually good at hiding artifacts too because of the way the scanning moved the pixels across the tube. Having a very sharp image comes at a cost and if the chain is not 100% from start to finish (signal strength, bitrate, HDMI etc) you will end up with a shit picture.
>>
>>53749544

I got invited for dinner to one of my uni friends home. Fast forward we are sitting in the living room in front of their 2008 SHARP 1080p set cost them around 20 grand at the time. They got a bunch of a HD channels but to me something seemed off. I grab the remote to the satellite receiver check options CURRENT RESOLUTION 480p

sigh they had not even bothered to set it to 1080p....
>>
>>53747120
Fuck those shits were heavy af
>>
File: C91_11front.jpg (254 KB, 1920x939) Image search: [Google]
C91_11front.jpg
254 KB, 1920x939
>>53749610
I love the aesthetics on Pioneers Elite series equipment
>>
>heavy as fuck
>costly to run
>light buzzing noise
>display degrades over time
>screen-door effect
>emits a tonne of radiation
>costs a lot to buy
>>
Hitachi made the best plasmas' seriously.
>>
>>53746746
too expensive for poor fags
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.