[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I become a sys admin without wasting 4 years of my life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1444133995210.jpg (102 KB, 599x550) Image search: [Google]
1444133995210.jpg
102 KB, 599x550
How do I become a sys admin without wasting 4 years of my life getting a degree in computer "science"?
>>
>>53742150
>computer "science"
"computer" "science"
FTFY
>>
>>53742150
according to the pic you should code non stop while just eating hot pockets and sucking down energy drink.
>>
>>53742170
Thanks fampai
Now how do I become a sys admin?
>>
>>53742198
So you're telling me there's another way? Are you fucking insane?
>>
>>53742150
>>53742200
>>53742295
You can start from the helpdesk and work your way up with diligent self study and networking (the social kind, not the computer kind) like everyone else.

Keep in mind that without a degree you'll hit a ceiling eventually for pay and responsibilities, around mid-thirties or so.
>>
The way I became a sys admin:
- Took a job doing a not-very-technical call center job for Cisco (presales... Basically just read a spec sheet)
- Started using Linux in my daily life, got used to the command line and figured out how to break and unbreak things
- Used my experience there to move to a more technical call center job with Netgear ProSupport
- Used my experience and basic Linux understanding to apply for a slightly more technical job doing Tier 1 support for the e-commerce wing of a major telco
- Asked lots of questions, sought out answers before going right to a senior engineer
- Offered contract job with previously mentioned e-commerce wing of major telco doing not-so-technical stuff
- Watched and learned, asked questions, helped admin team in any way I could
- Offered full time employee status and a move to the sys admin team

And now I'm a sys admin, and have been for about the past 5 years.

My advice isn't good, but it boils down to (1) get a ground floor semi-tech gig (2) work hard and ask questions to learn things above what you do day to day (3) treat people well and get noticed when people have good shit to say about you.
>>
>>53742318
See, this guy just said all that shit I just said but in so many less words.

I bet he's better at scripting than I am...
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.