[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tips on debloating Ubuntu? Linux newbie here running Ubuntu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: ubuntu-logo-modified.png (15 KB, 406x348) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-logo-modified.png
15 KB, 406x348
Tips on debloating Ubuntu?

Linux newbie here running Ubuntu with Unity DE, noticed I've got nearly 2000 packages and I imagine a lot of them are superfluous and never/rarely used.

Is there any sort of comprehensive list on unneeded Ubuntu/Unity packages? Any essential things I should do to lighten up and optimise my DE and OS?

Also; General Debloating Thread.
>>
Try Arch instead. It follows a minimalist, KISS philosophy that will allow you the lightest, most streamlined GNU/Linux experience possible, with zero bloat and everything tailored to your specific needs. It's known for being extremely reliable as well.
>>
>>53740535
Install Debian.
>>
>>53740535
Install Ubuntu minimal...dweeb
>>
>>53740582
arch is not minimalist
>>
>>53740582
>help debloating Ubuntu
>very straightforward request
>"try arch instead"

If you can't fucking read, I'm surprised you can even work a computer.
>>
>>53740582
> It's known for being extremely reliable as well.
yeah if you're relying on your package manager to break everything you have
>>
File: arch.jpg (8 KB, 220x229) Image search: [Google]
arch.jpg
8 KB, 220x229
>>53740582
>>53740655

Also, Arch is for lifeless landwhales. Everyone knows that.
>>
File: but_guys_gnu_is_bloated.png (46 KB, 724x463) Image search: [Google]
but_guys_gnu_is_bloated.png
46 KB, 724x463
No need really. If you're running it on a toaster you should choose a lighter distro such as Xubuntu.

Ask in the QTDDTOT if you want specific packages to remove.
>>
>>53740535

Uninstalling packages is only going to free up (small amounts of) disk space, not make anything faster. You could literally install every package in the default repository and it wouldn't make your computer any more "bloated" unless you actually ran the software.

Linux isn't like Windows where any bullshit you install is going to add itself to autorun and make useless shell integrations. If you want a faster desktop, try XFCE or LXDE.
>>
>>53740658
I've had debian testing break far more often than arch. Debian sid is about even with arch though. I like both equally. It's strange that testing is so shitty though.
>>
>>53740738
So in comparison, vanilla Ubuntu with all the packages is still nowhere near as bloated as Windows?

>>53740872
Questions:

1. A good cleaner for Ubuntu?
2. When I switch to a different desktop such as XFCE, how do I go about removing traces of the former desktop?

>>53740738
I wished that I had installed Xubuntu instead but I figured getting to grips with standard Ubuntu as a direct jump from Windows made more sense.

And I'm not sure if it counts as a toaster but: Toshiba Satellite with 2.3ghz x86_64 processor and 4gb RAM. Toaster tier or nay?
>>
dpkg --list-selections | less

> proceed to apt-get remove the ones you don't like

i have browsed 4chins with damn-small-linux on less than 16mb ram..... it's probably a better option than what you are doing
>>
>>53741529
>probably a better option than what you're doing

Watch out guys. We got a badass over here. Computer sensei in the building.
>>
>>53740535
Ubuntu == bloat
Install Ubuntu server or Lubuntu
>>
>>53740582
>dbus
>systemd
>bloated kernel
>>
>>53740535
Install the minimal server version and then add your own own GUI.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.