[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FBI no longer requires Apple's help in unlocking iPhone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 20
File: sadfasdfasdf.jpg (807 KB, 4096x2731) Image search: [Google]
sadfasdfasdf.jpg
807 KB, 4096x2731
RIP apple users
Not safe in the slightest

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/143067/20160322/fbi-no-longer-needs-apples-help-to-crack-the-iphone-court-suspends-encryption-hearing.htm
>>
You mean RIP everyone

Apple products were the last bastion of safety, there is not even an illusion of security on Android or other platforms.
>>
>>53739174
They never needed the help they just wanted to set the precedent.
>>
>government says they'll unlock it themselves a week ago
>still not unlocked
>>
Apple has something to innovate on now, the coud up their security and make a huge deal out of it
>>
>>53739174

>posting news from the last millennium

any predictions on who's going to win the washington state democrat primary?
>>
>>53739174
>>53739174
it never needed to.

they only had to ask nicely to the nsa, but considering the different agencies of the US are retarded and even fight proxy wars like in syria right now...
>>
>>53739219
Why do you need a fucking news article about how the FBI actually cracked it?
So you can go apeshit in a sea of shit that no one will listen to?
bait/10
>>
>>53739174
LOL if it was any android phone, they wouldn't have even asked Google in the first place.
>>
>expecting proprietary software to be secure
>>
>>53739434
Bye ameribean

Sent;)
>>
>>53739434
D A M A G E C O N T R O L .

They broke it today bud ;^)
>>
>>53739200

I'm very interested in knowing HOW they got the info off.

Supposedly Cellbrite was involved.

* Is Cellbrite able to install a hacked version of iOS thereby allowing a brute force attack? If so this is bad. Apple absolutely needs to close this hole. The most direct way is to make it impossible to modify anything on a phone without first entering the passcode. Right now it is possible to install some firmware / OS updates without the passcode, and this is an attack vector that needs to be eliminated.

* Did Cellbrite go so far as to use acid to remove the SoC enclosure and then lasers to read the UUID? (Which would then allow brute forcing the passcode on a virtual machine with no entry delay or auto wipe.) If so this is better because it's an extreme measure and not something any hacker could do. Still, in this case I would like to see Apple investigate SoC designs that resist this, i.e. something where removing the enclosure destroys the UUID.

I'm begging Cellbrite did the former and the FBI put the court on hold while waiting for the brute force attack to work. If it took days (not hours) then a short alphanumeric code was used.

Best defense against either? Use a long alphanumeric passcode.
>>
File: image.png (524 KB, 506x575) Image search: [Google]
image.png
524 KB, 506x575
>>53739174

FUCK The FBI , amazing how once they're told no that they find a magic solution without breaching our privacy. They'll even use terrorist cases in order to set up a loophole they can keep going back to for ALL federal cases.

FUCK THEM
>>
>>53739174
I thought that the FBI wanted to bruteforce the passcode which was 4 digits long, so if you use a good password (if you can even do that) you'll be perfectly fine.
>>
This was never about terrorists, This was purely about expanding government snooping power
>>
>>53739174
>>
>>53739174
i'm glad there is a thread about this
because i just saw it on the news and i thought it was funny as fuck.
why did they go to the effort of defending not putting in a backdoor if there are already so many others to choose from?
>>
Isn't is illegal to crack and hack an iPhone? Doesn't the attempt to do so violate an EULA? Has this government gone completely fascist mad?
>>
>>53739174
They never needed apples help. They were trying to set a precedent and stopped when they realized it could backfire on them.
>>
>>53741602
It probably violates the DMCA, lol.
>>
>implying they didn't copy the flash bit-by-bit to get passed the lock
>implying they didn't use one of the "destructive ways" to get the data
>>
>Apple sues the government for hacking their software
>Apple sues the government for breaking intellectual property
>>
>>53741602
>Implying we haven't had a fascist government since the civil war
>>
>>53739174
>implying they actually cracked it
>implying there was anything they needed on there
They realized they couldn't get their backdoor and left
>>
File: hgf.jpg (213 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
hgf.jpg
213 KB, 1200x1600
Didn't they get some private hacker group to do it?

Like the guys who are professional PAID to go into software, find the flaw and then tell the company about it.
>>
>>53739174
>apples biggest defense was loss of public trust/share value
>court places apple under a gag order and demands they implement backdoor.
>FBI claims they have "outside assistance"
>apple loses minimal share value, FBI gets the backdoor and normie media continues to enjoy shitposting as long as they play dum.
>>
>>53741670
>>
>>53741670

besides with was a work phone that the killer intentionally didn't destroy. 99.999% it only has boring work stuff on it and by all accounts he the most boring normalfag coworker ever (excluding the fact he negotiated paid daily breaks to drive home to pray on the taxpayer dime)
>>
WHY DIDN'T THEY CALL THE S.H.I.E.L.D? DEM PEOPLES ARE SO FAKIN LEET
>>
>>53741710
>Gag ordering a private company
>Implying some nerd won't leak internal memo telling everyone that they need to keep quiet
>Implying Apple wouldn't leak this and cause the shitstorm of the decade
>Implying this would actually be the case
>>
>>53739200
Replicant is a thing.
Hardening the linux kernel is a thing..
Dalvik is secure as fuck.
>>
>>53741707
I heard about a group back in Def Con. But it was a years old video. They may still be in the works.
>>
>>53741739
Man fuck that shit. Some Christian crusader should have brought that to the attention of the public. Religious exceptions for PEOPLE (not organizations) shouldn't cost the taxpayers money.
>>
>>53741504
American citizens agree with invading Arabs.

Complains about their government abusing power to keep them safe from terrorists which they provoked.

Well done lads.
>>
>>53741602
>>53741630

If early reports are correct, Cellbrite did it for the FBI.

If Cellbrite decapped the SoC and read the UUID then I do not believe they did anything illegal. (Once you have the UUID you can brute force the passcode, which is only part of the equation that leads to the final AES256 key, without modifying or using any Apple software.)

If Cellbrite used a hacked version of any Apple software then I believe Apple could pursue them in court. It would be a violation of both the EULA and the DMCA.

Problem with the latter is that you would have to get a Federal attorney to pursue the case, and that's unlikely when a Federal agency just benefited from Cellbrite's crime. (Which tells you that the law only matters for the "little people.")

I believe Apple could push the former, however.

If I were CEO of Apple a lawsuit against Cellbrite to restrict them and their employees from ever obtaining, possessing, or using any Apple product ever again would be satisfying, and I would likely try it.

But ultimately security comes from plugging holes.

* One big one is that it is possible to modify the software on an iOS device without entering the passcode. This needs to be closed permanently.

* Another is that software determines passcode entry delay and auto wipe. This needs to be an immutable part of Secure Enclave.

* Finally, if there's any way to design the SoC so that decapping it destroys the UUID...do so.
>>
File: img_3898[1].png (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
img_3898[1].png
2 MB, 2048x1536
Wow, you apple cunts got rekt.

>MUH GLOBAL SECURITY THREAT

If this was a fucking PC you'd just boot linux and access the files. There's no fucking security threat.

This was Apple desperately trying to distract people from the fact iOS so locked down you can even run software that isn't explicitly approved by Apple.

Again? Where the fucking national security threat? Where are the terrorist hacking millions of people? This vulnerability has existed for years since the phone came out.

You guys fell HARD, fucking hook line and sinker for Apple's horseshit bait. Lmao. Take this as a learning opportunity.
>>
>>53741958

LMAO you are stupid. The government OWNS the phone. They have FULL rights to do anything they want with the software for their own personal use.

>EULA

Haha wow. Breaking the EULA just means Apple has no liability for anything you do. The EULA could say not to stick the iPhone up your ass, doesn't mean it fucking illegal to you fucking retard.
>>
Just encrypt your own files you idiots. Why rely on some soulless, global mega corporation to "protect" you?

Apple cripples iOS, restricts YOUR rights, and you praise them. You guys are 100% C U C K S. And you guys are STILL vulnerable!

Meanwhile, a PC user who's hard drive can just be ripped out and stuck into another machine is 100% SAFE due to personal encryption!
>>
>>53742023
>There's no fucking security threat.
Except Intel and AMD hardware backdoors posing as security "features"
>>
>>53742117

What "backdoors"? Name one.

Being able to run whatever software you want, regardless of whether some corporation "approved" it is not a "backdoor."

Being able to run whatever software you want makes you SAFER, because people are free to develop and use security software to protect themselves.
>>
File: lain slow.gif (295 KB, 700x704) Image search: [Google]
lain slow.gif
295 KB, 700x704
>>53742167
>he doesn't know about Intel's Management Engine and AMD's Platform Security Processor
>>
>>53741602

How far has America society DEGRADED where we think breaking some made up rules some FOREIGN (vast majority of Apple's money and profits are overseas) corporation artificially imposes on us is actually against the actual law??
>>
>>53742050

This is so fucking wrong I don't even know where to begin.

Read up case law on reverse engineering and hacking software. Come back when you learn something.
>>
>>53742189
This
>>
>>53742206
>breaking some made up rules some FOREIGN corporation

EULA's are based on FEDERAL copyright law you tard.
>>
>>53741346
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>53742206
Fuck off, Drumpf
>>
>>53742167
>>53742189
For reading on some of the security issues with Intel's processors, including the Management Engine:
http://blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/x86_harmful.pdf
>>
>>53742226
>>53742249

No, EULAs are written by private companies, they have no legal authority. 99% of apple's EULA is unenforceable. Its only serves to relieve them of any liability for personal damages.

If you buy a license to software, you have 100 full rights to break, crack, hack, or otherwise do whatever you please with it for your own personal use. The moment you share it with others, or try to make money off of it, then your are liable for damages.

The government owns the phone. If you own a piece of hardware or software. You OWN it, Apple isn't renting it to you. If you think they can impose any rules on you, you must be living in some other country than America.
>>
File: apple-iphone[1].jpg (222 KB, 580x402) Image search: [Google]
apple-iphone[1].jpg
222 KB, 580x402
>>53742189
>>53742279

LMAO. You are concerned with AMT but not iOS??

With the iPhone, BOTH the hardware and OS are complete blackboxes!

Apple's lockdown of "iOS" is the definition of user exploiting software poising as security.

How can you Apple apologists exist which such obvious cognitive dissidence? Is the Apple marketing that powerful?
>>
>>53740797

Now for your next act, you will tell us why we should pay for all that extra "security" crap that apple "innovates"
>>
Why aren't they safe? Because the government can access their phones?
Kek.
>>
File: lain fast.gif (295 KB, 700x704) Image search: [Google]
lain fast.gif
295 KB, 700x704
>>53742453
>implying I own anything made by Applel
>implying I even use a cell phone
>>
File: 1459055574433.jpg (100 KB, 459x457) Image search: [Google]
1459055574433.jpg
100 KB, 459x457
>>53742453
>someone points out Intel and AMD have hardware level exploits and posts proof
???
>it must mean they're not concerned with iOS exploits
>that person must be an Apple apologist
That isn't even a retarded jump in logic, it's straight up nonsense
Lurk more faggot and read the reply chain before posting next time
>>
>>53742501

Good for you. But you can be safe on a cell phone by simplifying taking to responsibility to encrypt your own data with software you trust, ideally because you've looked at the code yourself, or because you know its from a trusted third party and not funneled through a single corporation's approval process and application distribution system.
>>
File: IMG20160101_011143_839625958.jpg (83 KB, 600x753) Image search: [Google]
IMG20160101_011143_839625958.jpg
83 KB, 600x753
>>53741556
It was about destroying encryption and getting apple to do their job for them.
>>
>>53742583

Both platforms have hardware level "exploits" if someone has physical ownership of the device. Hence why the FBI was able to get into this phone.

On a PC you can simply boot another OS or take the hard drive out. That's not a fucking "exploit." You can easily encrypt your personal data to be protected in these scenarios.
>>
>>53739201
This, we've all known the FBI could get into the phone whenever for a long time.

Law enforcement hate encryption and they want it all to die. They want a police state for technology.
>>
COOK?!
>>
>>53742583

There is no proof that intel's management engine is a backdoor. The entire concern is that its a locked down blackbox, so you don't know for 100% certain its not a sort of NSA backdoor. That's a legitimate concern, but the point is this concern applies to pretty much the entirety of the iPhone from top to bottom. There is no logically way you can be concerned about intel's management engine but not about Apple's control over iOS.
>>
File: laughing richard stallman.jpg (127 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
laughing richard stallman.jpg
127 KB, 500x333
>>53742591
>he doesn't know about how it's possible to exploit the baseband firmware on cell phones, which is an even bigger problem than Intel's Management Engine and AMD's Platform Security Processor due to not only having complete access to the phone's hardware but also being exploitable over the air, and people have already found ways to exploit it
>he doesn't know about the NSA's CO-TRAVELER program, FASCIA database, and stingrays
No, your personal tracking device with massive security holes isn't secure no matter what you do with it.

I don't have a picture of Lain laughing even harder so have a picture of RMS laughing at you using non free software with massive security holes.
>>
>>53739174
>all these charades when we all know Apple has been part of PRISM since 2010
Look this is just a fucking smokescreen to make apple look like the good guys.
>>
>>53742759

This is what makes Apple' claim so hilariously transparent. As if running software not signed by Apple is the only thing keeping iPhone users safe. Lmao, and people buy into, just read this thread.
>>
File: 1458874011768.gif (410 KB, 221x196) Image search: [Google]
1458874011768.gif
410 KB, 221x196
I want to get off this tech security wild ride
>>
>>53742591
Anon pls, major drug trafickers with infinite funds for secure communications have had their phones hijacked even when using countless burners and mirror systems between them.
NSA's stingrays and dropout jeep can fuck up the ass any mobile communications.
>>
File: Alexcoolstory.jpg (84 KB, 552x750) Image search: [Google]
Alexcoolstory.jpg
84 KB, 552x750
Is it too optimistic to think it's possible to be completely avoidant of the government spy network? Or should we give up?

You can't even live in the forest off the grid because the drones will eventually find you. I'm close to giving up on the privacy meme.
>>
>>53742341
Quite simply you are wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT6itfUUsoQ
>>
>>53742859
Ironically we're at the point that allowing yourself to be surveilled by the state makes you less likely of being singled out.

When everyone is under surveillance there's only so many people they can pay close attention to. How are they supposed to single out your data out of the hundreds of millions of other people they're also tracking unless you're doing something to make the powers-that-be paranoid, like using TOR?
>>
>>53742947
>unless you're doing something to make the powers-that-be paranoid, like using TOR
Yea, and locking my car door makes the FBI paranoid that I'm hiding drugs and explosives. Get a fucking grip
>>
>>53742931
>posts some hour long, irrelevant youtube video as a source

No, you're still wrong. If you buy software, you can do anything with it for personal use. This is why you can "hack" iOS to jail break your iPhone legally, even though its the EULA specifically says your can't.
>>
>>53742812
>This is what makes Apple' claim so hilariously transparent.
I don't think you understand anon, the FBI getting the data of this particular phone isn't why people cared about the case. If the FBI took Apple to court and won in this case they'd be able to demand any tech company make hacking tools for them or sign malware with their private keys.

>>53742947
>you totally shouldn't care about your security and let the government have access to your entire internet history, it makes you seem less suspicious
JTRIG pls. It's a known fact that they have algorithms that sort the data for them and can be quite advanced (see the NSA's SKYNET program). Also with all 3 letter agencies getting access to the NSA's databases now, which aren't limited to just suspicious traffic, there is a significantly higher chance of the data being used for malicious purposes by random government employees.
>>
>>53743029
>Get a fucking grip
Your ridiculous argument is a false equivalence. The FBI can always get into your car regardless of whether or not you've locked it- all they need to do is shatter a window.

The FBI cannot always get into your phone or hard drives (because of encryption), they cannot always track your spending habits and see where your money is for tax purposes (because of Bitcoin, offshore accounts, etc), and the NSA cannot always track what you're doing (because of encryption, i.e. TOR).

This terrifies the government, which is why they're trying to make and have made these sweeping power grabs under the false pretense of the "TERORISM DO U WANT THE BAD PEOPLE TO WIN!!!11" meme.

The government wants complete access to your daily life in order to placate its constant insecurity and fear of insurrection. The issue (gun rights, encryption, etc) is never the issue- it's always about power.
>>
>>53743142
No algorithm can adequately categorize the data of hundreds of millions (if not billions because the PRISM program) of people. You will still need someone to physically look through all the data.

And what will trip up those algorithms more? Suspicious encryption that *they* can't break or what looks like any normal traffic?
>>
>>53743142
>they'd be able to demand any tech company make hacking tools for them or sign malware with their private keys.

No, they wouldn't have to, because no other OS on earth prevents the user from running hacking tools or unsigned software on their own devices.

iOS is the ONLY OS where an end user cannot install software they even wrote themselves (with out paying Apple) or are allowed to install their own operating system.

The only reason Apple would have any work to do is because of their own self imposed limitations on iOS. On a PC the FBI could just access the hard drive.

If the personal data was encrypted by the end user, and not "protected" by Apple's artificial restrictions on iOS, the FBI couldn't force Apple to do anything in the first place because Apple wouldn't hold the key to the data themselves.

You are falling for Apple's deflection here. The unencrypted data on this device was never secure to begin with.
>>
>>53739233
Right? This is just apples chance to skyrocket their encryption. The public is on their side.
>>
File: Prism_slide_5.jpg (86 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
Prism_slide_5.jpg
86 KB, 700x525
>>53741743

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_security_letter

Hundreds of thousands of these were issued without a single leak.

Pic also related. Apple's statement at the time this was leaked was that they had never heard of PRISM.

If the government wants to keep it a secret, they will.
>>
>>53743259
>iOS is the ONLY OS where an end user cannot install software they even wrote themselves (with out paying Apple) or are allowed to install their own operating system.

This is no longer true

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/10/xcode-7-allows-anyone-to-download-build-and-sideload-ios-apps-for-free/
>>
File: 1363155549790.gif (80 KB, 170x207) Image search: [Google]
1363155549790.gif
80 KB, 170x207
>>53743191
Preach that strawman bullshit to the choir senpai, you're doing great

>haha /g/ will love my evil gubament gig
>>
>>53743056

Derp.

The Four Freedoms only apply to GPL3 licensed code. There are tons of restrictions on software you "buy." Legally, you don't own the software, you are merely a licensee.

https://www.eff.org/issues/coders/reverse-engineering-faq
>>
> be FBI
> realize the case would likely end up in the Supreme Court and not go the way they want, barring them from future action
> back out
> claim to have unlocked the phone to save face and spite Apple

I'm the last guy you could call an Apple fanboy, but until the FBI either publishes the hack or some info obtained from the unlocked phone, I'll remain sceptical.
>>
So if I download and install 13E237 firmware will it still ask me for an apple id and pass?
>>
>>53743342

Its fully legal, if again, you disclose nothing. Hence why its fully legal to jail break, despite the EULA restricting it. It just means Apple is not liable for any damages that happen after you broke the agreement.
>>
>>53743259
>because no other OS on earth prevents the user from running ... unsigned software on their own devices.
You seriously lack creativity. With the ability to demand companies digitally sign things for them they'd be able to redirect you to a fake Windows update server to serve malware to you and they'd be able to force Intel to sign malicious updates for their processor's Management Engine, along with many other things. Digital signing is used for a fuck ton more than just determining what software can run on iOS.
>>
>>53743357

wut?

This hadn't even made it to the District court judge. It would still have to get to the district court judge, then federal appeals court, then an en banc hearing, THEN the Supreme Court would consider taking it up. This takes years of ligitation.

>>53743400

It's not legal to exploit code that you dont own. You're a licensee.

Derp, derp, derp.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Computer_Entertainment_America,_Inc._v._Hotz
>>
>>53743357
>until the FBI either publishes the hack or some info obtained from the unlocked phone
That's never going to happen.
>>
how do i create a password that is cannot be uncrackable password?
>>
File: iPhone-5-Launch_sham[1].jpg (2 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
iPhone-5-Launch_sham[1].jpg
2 MB, 3000x2000
I find this whole thing hilarious. Apple essentially locks its own users into an fallaciously"safe "ecosystem. The FBI and Department of Justice comes in to break them free, and the inmates of the asylum scream and cry for their captive Apple to protect them.

They are scared of the "dangers" of having to protect their own data instead of trusting Apple, the largest multi-national corporation in the world. Famous for tax evasion, shameless copying, and hollow marketing.

Apple tells them breaking the iPhone's security would lead to massive, global security breaches. Then, in the end, everyone realizes the security was broken the whole time.
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 900x900
>>53739174
>Apple btfo FBI so hard, they had to walk away and cry sour grapes: "w-we don't want your help anyways tehee"
>>
>>53743422

No, you are still missing the point. No one has to sign anything if the end user can CHOOSE to run unsigned software.

In the case of the iPhone, it doesn't have to be an Apple update if the user can choose to run their own OS.
>>
>>53743469
have it be over 20 digits
>>
>>53743439
>It's not legal to exploit code that you dont own. You're a licensee.

Can you even read? It is fully legal to "exploit" code, or otherwise do anything you want with ANY intellectual properly if you have zero chance of causing any damages to the owner.

If you bought the software, and disclosed nothing, you owe $0 in damages. There is nothing illegal about cracking iOS to jail break your phone. Do a simple 5 second google search, and you'll realize you are completely wrong.
>>
>>53743400
>Its fully legal, if again, you disclose nothing

That's like saying it's fully legal to steal as long as you don't get caught.
>>
Apple was already finished when they announced a hands free siri as their only new innovation.
>>
>>53743548
>That's like saying it's fully legal to steal as long as you don't get caught.
No it isn't.
>>
>>53743567
Yeah it is, it's the exact same logic.

>It's okay to do [action] as long as nobody knows you did it.
>>
>>53742759
>>53742812
>confusing completely different aspects of security

Cell phone / Internet tracking is a separate issue. Equally important, but separate.

You can't decrypt AES256 with a fucking stingray.

This case was about one battle, one aspect of the war for privacy.
>>
>>53743548
>>53743613

Probably trolling. But if you're really this stupid, he's a brain dead stupid example:

You buy a lock, install it, then kick down the door. You haven't broken any law despite exposing a vulnerability.

But really, IP is completely different, but you probably can't understand this so just stick the above example. Copyright infringement is not "stealing." You only owe damages to potential revenue. If you reverse engineer code, rewrite it and use it for your own personal use, never make any money off of it or disclose what you learned to anyone, but still bought the software, its legal. Because even if you admitted that you did everything, you didn't cause any damages to the owner of the IP in anyway.
>>
>>53743613
Stealing != modifying software or hardware.
>>
>>53743056

How many people have to tell you that you're wrong?

iOS is not GPL'd. In the U.S. you have very little freedom to hack or reverse engineer it. (You actually have some in narrow cases, but in general it's fucking illegal.)

EULA's are not "made up" or "unenforceable." Buy a fucking clue.
>>
>>53743502
>No one has to sign anything if the end user can CHOOSE to run unsigned software.
Did you not read my post? Digital signing is used for much more than just determining what code an OS will run. What I said the FBI could do with it wouldn't be possible without being able to force companies to sign things for them. If government agencies were able to force companies to sign software for them it would all them to create all kinds of incredibly nasty persistent firmware back doors that would be near impossible to remove and would allow them to have a complete control of a computer on a lower level than any program or OS you might run. Not to mention the problems with trust on the internet if government agencies could get signed certificates claiming that they're anyone they want people to think they are at that time.

>>53743657
>You can't decrypt AES256 with a fucking stingray.
That's what the baseband exploits that were mentioned first are for.
>>
>>53743676
You can substitute stealing with any other illegal action. Stealing doesn't even relate to the point I'm trying to make. Here's a few substitutions that would have worked just as well...

>That's like saying it's fully legal to speed as long as you don't get caught.
>That's like saying it's fully legal to murder as long as you don't get caught.
>>
>>53743668

>bought the software

Nobody buys software anymore. It's all licensed now. You're forbidden by the terms of the license from modifying the code. Ask Geohot how well that works out...
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 450x488) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 450x488
>>53743473
>*bends over* fbi come liberate me plz :^)
Only in US
>>
>>53743259
>being this fucking confused

The iOS app store has NOTHING to do with this case. Literally nothing.

The FBI needed help because they did not have the technical ability to:

* Produce a hacked version of iOS.

* Get said FBiOS on a phone.

>If the personal data was encrypted by the end user, and not "protected" by Apple's artificial restrictions on iOS, the FBI couldn't force Apple to do anything in the first place because Apple wouldn't hold the key to the data themselves.

Apple doesn't hold the key themselves. The FBI was looking for help because:

A) User passcodes are usually very short/simple and do not contain the amount of entropy that a truly random 256-bit key would. This is because nobody wants to type 32 random letters/numbers/symbols every time they want to use their phone.

B) To limit the risk of a short numeric passcode, Apple hashes it with a SoC UUID that cannot be read off chip, and implements passcode entry delays and auto wipe. The FBI wanted to bypass the last two so they could brute force the short user passcode.

>The unencrypted data on this device was never secure to begin with.

You're ignorant. The data WAS encrypted using AES256. If the dip shit terrorist had used a long alphanumeric passcode then the FBI would be waiting for years to brute force it.
>>
>>53743536

This is dead wrong. A court may determine that there is $0 in damages. But they will still order an injunction against any further use of said copyrighted material by defendant. Break that order and you will sit in jail.

Just because the government doesn't pursue jailbreakers on behalf of Apple doesn't mean it's legal.
>>
>>53743668
>Because even if you admitted that you did everything, you didn't cause any damages to the owner of the IP in anyway.

People who do this, minus the admission, are never prosecuted because nobody knows about it. Doesn't make it legal, but it is literally the same as stealing a diamond from a rich senile old lady who has 5,000 diamonds and will die never knowing one was taken.

If you brag about it, however, and the IP owner cares, expect to be slapped with an injunction. An IP owner can ask for that even if there are $0 damages and $0 potential damages.

You are wrong about copyright law in the U.S.

>>53743717
>>You can't decrypt AES256 with a fucking stingray.
>That's what the baseband exploits that were mentioned first are for.

If you can get a passcode recording piece of malware on the machine, yes. But that would require compromising more than just the baseband.

So to be more clear: shitray cannot be itself compromise AES256.
>>
>>53743861
>But that would require compromising more than just the baseband.
The baseband processor has complete access to the cell phone's main processor and RAM at a lower level than the OS, they wouldn't have to compromise anything else.

>shitray cannot be itself compromise AES256.
Again, stingrays area a completely different issue. The baseband vulnerabilities and cell phones being very easy to track were two separate points about why cell phones aren't secure.
>>
>>53743944
>The baseband processor has complete access to the cell phone's main processor and RAM at a lower level than the OS, they wouldn't have to compromise anything else.

This does not give you jack shit unless you execute code to record or otherwise obtain the passcode. You can access RAM or flash storage all you want. If it's AES256 encrypted and you don't have the key, or the ability to generate the key (i.e. feed the passcode to the device) you're fucked.

>The baseband vulnerabilities and cell phones being very easy to track were two separate points about why cell phones aren't secure.

See: >>53743657
>>
>>53742023
>Apple products have to run non-Apple software because some freetard autists say so

Stopped reading after I deloaded your inane post.
>>
>>53742206
They only have a fuckton of money over seas because fucktards in DC demand too much money and manage it poorly (gibsmedats and the new meme generation fighter).
>>
>>53744613
You do realize that with the baseband processor having complete access to the RAM they can just grab your PIN when you enter it. The post here >>53742759 was about cell phones not being secure in general and not about exploits pertaining to this specific case with the FBI.
>>
>>53743142
>SKYNET
Come on NSA. I know it's not the future death AI we fear and crave but can you at least shy away from using the word?
>>
>>53741438
Most underrated insightful post I've ever seen on le g.

God dammit.
>>
the fbi came onto /g/ asking for advice, and I told them how I would crack it.

Basically you can crack an iphone by creating a bridge to a different rom, or memory device to send a binary unlock code back to the cpu.

just look up the cpu's programming language and then easily trick the cpu into running the assembly code for that architecture.

It takes time because they are practicing this method with dummy phones before they use it on the real phone.
>>
>>53739200
Are you retarded? Did you believe them when they said that they wouldn't help the FBI?
>>
>>53744848
>>53741438
Agreed
>>
>>53744776
you realize money is an illusion right?

this is how money is made

guy sitting in chair at the federal reserve creates 1 trillion dollars, send it to a bank in new york, probably a government account number electronically, the record of the 1 trillion is then deleted, and the administration logs wiped clean.

the unknown government account then sends billions to black ops budgets as needed until the 1 trillion is gone, then more is created from nothing and sent off again.
>>
>>53744941

Go to bed, school starts in the morning.
>>
lol its over for apple
>>
>>53744989
Try harder snownigger.
>>
>>53745026

be careful with that edge
>>
>>53742101
This.
>>
>>53739174
They should make iPhone as illegal as a kinder surprise if apple fixes this
>>
>>53745583
You mean widely available to everyone not in the US?
>>
File: 1448143846905-0.jpg (32 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
1448143846905-0.jpg
32 KB, 460x276
Name one platform that doesn't have security holes.

Protip: There are none.
>>
why is allle being such faggots and wont just give them access to the fucking killers phone

its not like the fbi is fucking asking for the info of all the people using them

i bet they just cant do it becaise this shit makes no sense
>>
>>53746043
Your underpants.
>>
Lol at people thinking Apple was the last company holding the line and that it took a tireless effort by the NSA to just now gain the ability to bypass Apple's babby level "encryption."
>>
Friendly reminder: You probably don't need to worry that the FBI can access your phone data if you're not a rampant pedophile or a terrorist.
>>
>>53747012
If the FBI has access others potentially do as well.
>>
gj, the government did their fucking job and handle the case themselves.
>>
>>53746043
Bricks.
>>
>>53739174
They just don't want to follow due process. Apple would have patched the software by now seeing as we're talking about a 5c.
>>
>>53747231
>Apple would have patched the software by now
What
>>
>>53747141
I would guess they actually need to physically have your phone, at least that would be the best case scenario, or did apple design it so that you can never turn off your wireless connection or something?
>>
>>53742341
So, if what you are saying is true, then I don't have to worry about Microsoft's EULA regarding my use of Windows 10, instead of going based on Microsoft's assertion that I'm only using it "Gratis", in reality I can use and do with it whatever I damn well please?

I like the way you see things.
>>
>>53747240
FBI hacks iphone software (OS is software), Apple has been continuously updating software but is limited by hardware. If they're smart they would have been testing for flaws throughout the legal proceedings, looking for things to patch.
>>
>>53747267
>If they're smart they would have been testing for flaws throughout the legal proceedings, looking for things to patch.
Subtle shitting on Apple.
>>
>>53743328
ok FBI
>>
Wait people are still on this

Don't you know that this was just some play

And no I'm not referring to that dumbfuck Snowden. Apple was never known for good security.

In any case it's true that pretty much every device out there can be "cracked". But "the last bastion of safety" nigga what
>>
>>53739174

FB I
RRR
EEE
KKK
T TT
>>
>>53739174
>FBI had enlisted the help of Israeli mobile software developer Cellebrite
holy shit the american government are so retarded they cant hack a phone and have to beg some 3rd world country for help. the only people RIP here are Americans.

Remember to vote Trump guys.
>>
>>53739174
WINDOWS PHONES MASTER RACE
>>
Let's stop pretending that the FBI didn't already have access. This was all a show
>>
>>53742341
>>53743056
I posted the hour long video because I think it is a talk that more people should be aware of and Doctorow packages the problem in an easily digestible, eloquent format that even an idiot could follow. If you bothered to watch the clip you would know he was talking about section 1201, here is a link to the actual code:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/1201
a wikipedia summary because you are probably too dum to find it yourself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-circumvention
here is what the EFF have to say about it:
https://www.eff.org/issues/dmca
what they are doing about it:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/09/eff-congress-get-rid-dmcas-anti-circumvention-provisions
and finally a list of examples of DMCA claims invoked against, in their own words, "not pirates, but consumers, scientists and legitimate competitors." Including a summary of the legal battle that allows you(yes you, you ignorant ingrate) to unlock and jailbreak your phone without getting fucked in the ass by apple.

I know this stuff doesn't leak into the normie sphere and when it does it's vastly tainted by incompetent and tech-illiterate media, but please before you shitpost here read a little or watch an hour long video so you don't look like a nescient ass.
>>
>>53749384
forgot last link:
https://www.eff.org/pages/unintended-consequences-fifteen-years-under-dmca
>>
anyone could've done this, the fbi just put on a show so fapple shills felt safe with 12 year olds nudes in their gallery
Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.